HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-season madness!

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Dark Knight
Draft Jared McCann!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Those options would include Jays bench coach Don Wakamatsu, who previously managed the Seattle Mariners, former Colorado Rockies manager Jim Tracy and former Cleveland Indians manager Manny Acta, along with Reds Double-A manager Jim Riggleman, who previously managed four major league clubs.
Source: Rosenthal, Fox Sports

I'm intrigued by Rosenthal mentioning Riggleman. Many of you might not know but he was the Nationals manager who resigned during the year due to contract disputes. He was on his last year of the deal and Rizzo wouldn't give him an extension despite Nationals playing competitive baseball. Riggleman was heavily criticized because he 'quit' on his team mid-way through the season, but Riggleman thought it was a matter of self-respect and what the ownership think of you, and your place in an organization. What are your thoughts on him possibly managing this team? I'm partial only because the guy has made the playoffs only once in his managing career, but he is way more attractive to me than Don Wakamatsu and Manny Acta.

I don't mind Jim Tracy as much because the guy has a good track record and even Joe Torre would have posted a good record with the crappy Colorado team of this past season.

11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Suntouchable13

Wasn't there a report earlier that said that Tracy and Acta won't be considered?

Old
11-02-2012, 11:29 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Source: Rosenthal, Fox Sports

I'm intrigued by Rosenthal mentioning Riggleman. Many of you might not know but he was the Nationals manager who resigned during the year due to contract disputes. He was on his last year of the deal and Rizzo wouldn't give him an extension despite Nationals playing competitive baseball. Riggleman was heavily criticized because he 'quit' on his team mid-way through the season, but Riggleman thought it was a matter of self-respect and what the ownership think of you, and your place in an organization. What are your thoughts on him possibly managing this team? I'm partial only because the guy has made the playoffs only once in his managing career, but he is way more attractive to me than Don Wakamatsu and Manny Acta.

I don't mind Jim Tracy as much because the guy has a good track record and even Joe Torre would have posted a good record with the crappy Colorado team of this past season.
I noticed that report earlier... as far as Riggleman goes, he did resign yes, but for me its kind of understandable. He was a long tenured manager, his team was playing great baseball and they treated him as a sitting duck. Thats just not mutual respect. Certainly I'd be wary of him... but you've gotta think there were some more underlying issues there. Because he left a major league job to take a minor league job. I don't think he's got a feeling of entitlement or anything like that just because he left for a lesser job.

Riggleman definitely interests me more than Tracy or Acta would... and Sun you are right, earlier reports suggested that the Jays weren't interested in Acta or Tracy.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Riggleman would be interesting, as would Gardenhire, and - yes, I'll say it again! - Joe Torre.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:47 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Riggleman would be interesting, as would Gardenhire, and - yes, I'll say it again! - Joe Torre.
Gardenhire would be perfect IMO. I know theres been rumblings of Torre coming out of retirement, but I don't think theres a chance in hell its for the Blue Jays.

As for FA's... I was looking at the list and was surprised we havent talked about Adam Laroche more.

LH power bat, would fit nice in our 5-hole or as a possible guy to break up our two stud righties.

He would be an excellent consolation prize for those that miss out on Hamilton, and perhaps AA should focus on him right off the bat. In addition to his bat he plays gold glove defense at 1b. I think as far as position players go, he might be our most realistic high-profile guy.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Laroche is looking to re-sign with the Nats, that's probably why.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
trellaine201

Are we hiring a manager today?

Free agency begins tomorrow.

Oh, wait AA is in no rush.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Laroche is looking to re-sign with the Nats, that's probably why.
That was my understanding as well, otherwise I agree the Jays should be all over him. You make the offer anyway, and see what happens - but I can't imagine why the Nats wouldn't bring him back.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Dark Knight
Draft Jared McCann!

Please don't be Wakamatsu.

I have a strange feeling we're going to go with him based no absolutely no merit.

I'm still secretly hoping for DeMarlo Hale.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
That was my understanding as well, otherwise I agree the Jays should be all over him. You make the offer anyway, and see what happens - but I can't imagine why the Nats wouldn't bring him back.
Money talks. Pretty much the theme for us in FA. If Rogers fronts the money, I think AA can make serious improvements. If they don't and AA is stuck with second tier free agents and having to only make trades, could be another long summer.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post

Having a manager in place only helps you make deals if that manager has an intimate knowledge of your players and prospects. Hiring a manager today or tomorrow doesn't add that perspective, so they can give any input on who AA should trade and who he should keep...As for telling him who he should go after, everyone and their mother knows what the Jays need, and he's not a stupid man, he's got his list of targets and who he wants to go after to help the club, a manager wouldn't really be helpful, especially if AA's hiring someone who hasn't managed in a while or at all.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-pitchers.html

Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:24 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post

Same old song and dance.

Last year we were attached to every major FA and ended up with 0.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Money talks. Pretty much the theme for us in FA. If Rogers fronts the money, I think AA can make serious improvements. If they don't and AA is stuck with second tier free agents and having to only make trades, could be another long summer.
Great movie too lol. But seriously, I think we'll be surprised by AA, and Rogers,this offseason. Morosi continues to write some positive things about the Jays pitching pursuit, and I'm inclined to think he's got a bit of a pulse on the situation.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:27 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post

LOL this every year since AA arrival.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Same old song and dance.

Last year we were attached to every major FA and ended up with 0.
This is true. Mostly because AA checks in on every player, it seems. Things may be different this year. AA had repeatedly told the media and fanbase that last year was not the year, and he was not planning to make the push. He's always maintained that this year would be the year. He's got his core, and perhaps he'll be able to add this winter. Who knows, it'll all be speculation until hats start dropping.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

Ooh burn!!!

Having a manager wouldn't dictate what the Jays will do in the off-season so it makes no difference.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Both Anthopolous and Beeston have been very clear that they've got the green light to be serious players in free agency, so while I understand people's skepticism, I think it's misplaced in this case.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:48 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Ooh burn!!!

Having a manager wouldn't dictate what the Jays will do in the off-season so it makes no difference.
It probably matters to free agents.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Unless your manager is Bobby Valentine or Ozzie, it doesn't really have that much of an impact.

Pitchers work with the pitching coach 98% of the time.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Unless your manager is Bobby Valentine or Ozzie, it doesn't really have that much of an impact.

Pitchers work with the pitching coach 98% of the time.
I do realize 99% of players go for the most money anyways. I guess your right. 1% chance they look past the $$$.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:58 PM
ryno23

I think there is a bad vibe about the Jays these days. You look at coaches, scouts and other employees all moving on to other organizations it seems like the atmosphere is toxic in Jays land.

How hard is it to hire a manager seriously. You have interviewed them and people inside the baseball world know all about other coaches even before they become a candidate.

Just my view is I think the shine is off AA and now he is forced into the FA market to make the MLB team better and compete. Fans see the Orioles make the playoffs and all the big spending teams go to the playoffs each year and they want a winner.

The fact they kept ignoring the FA market when they could have filled a hole last year say in LF with Willingham, Kubel or some other guy for half decent money then now instead of 4 holes to fill they would have only 3 holes to fill.

The MLB team has been ignored since AA has taken over and the so called toolsy players he has brought in like Escobar and Rasmus are just the headaches and inconsistent players they were before they arrived.

Sure the farm has some talent at the lower level but what most casual fans want to see is a winning MLB team. Sure the hardcore fans who love prospects will say wait wait but how many more years of ****** MLB teams will happen before they make the playoffs.

What bothers me is teams like the Giants, Cardinals among other teams still stockpile the farm but also go out in FA and make their teams better year after year.....AA has ignored the MLB team and now its crunch time and fans are starting to get mad.

If you read up on sportsnet and tsn comment sections after an article (which where the casual fan will post) they are none too happy with the organization.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Eyedea
Breakout Player

vCash: 350
Quote:
Rosenthal points out that the offseason could unfold more quickly this year, partly because of the new MLB calendar. Teams won’t have to wait as long to determine which free agents are linked to draft pick compensation, which should accelerate the free agent market.
Awesome. Hopefully we see some big cats sign within the first few days.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Yeah, except it doesn't.

Why would any FA care? Managers have such a high tuenover rate that if you sign a long-term deal with who the manager is currently in place, he is likely not going to be there by the time your contract is up. In-game, managers only set the line-up and manage the bullpen, a lot of which are obvious moves in obvious situations. A player mostly just has to respect the manager which most do unless you are like Bobby Valentine. A manager makes no impact on a free agent signing.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Awesome. Hopefully we see some big cats sign within the first few days.
I think we'll see a few guys sign this weekend but I don't think any of the bigger names (Grienke, Sanchez, Ortiz?, Swisher, Lohse) will sign until the winter meetings. Allows them to talk to alot of different teams in one place. Could be wrong, but that's how I see it playing out.

Closed Thread