HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CHL Players Union

Old
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
The Exiled One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moko00 View Post
$50 a week could be considered gas money. I know many teams give gas money to players and they still go NCAA? Shouldn't that be against NCAA rules?
My understanding is that would be against NCAA rules.

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
I'll amend my first statement to read "compensated professionals".

I'm not sure if they want it, but if I was a player, I'd vote for it. If I was a parent, I'd advise my kid to vote for it. If I was an agent, I'd advise my client to vote for it. If I was an owner, I'd advise my players to NOT vote for it. In fact, if I was an owner, I'd probably threaten my players to not vote for it in every way legally allowed.

BTW, though I'm obviously an NCAA fan based on my logo, I don't think a union helps NCAA hockey at all. If the compensation packages increased, more kids would probably choose that route, not less. I'm just for honesty and fair compensation... that's it.
The fact is that most players won't gain any benefit from the education package as it's being proposed, and there are conflicting comments about changes to the weekly stipend the players receive. In return, they stand to lose a lot of the perks they currently enjoy (cell phones, training, gas allowance in some cases). Finally, there is a chance that a union such as this will result in some franchises folding.

I do believe that the current $50 per week for 16-17 year olds should be updated. I don't have a problem in extending the window where a player can access his education package.

From discussions with other OHL fans I know, adding $1.50 per ticket per game to fund a union will not sit well. If the players want a union, let them pay for it out of their own pockets. In no way should it come at the expense of the fans, and personally, I want no part of any of my money going to support a union.

And God help them if there is ever a work stoppage.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:00 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The fact is that most players won't gain any benefit from the education package as it's being proposed, and there are conflicting comments about changes to the weekly stipend the players receive. In return, they stand to lose a lot of the perks they currently enjoy (cell phones, training, gas allowance in some cases). Finally, there is a chance that a union such as this will result in some franchises folding.

I do believe that the current $50 per week for 16-17 year olds should be updated. I don't have a problem in extending the window where a player can access his education package.

From discussions with other OHL fans I know, adding $1.50 per ticket per game to fund a union will not sit well. If the players want a union, let them pay for it out of their own pockets. In no way should it come at the expense of the fans, and personally, I want no part of any of my money going to support a union.

Does anybody seriously think this thing has a hope in hell of happening? The CHL will have it tied up before the courts for years...and years...and years. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

I agree and I know less about the CHL than you do.

To me this sounds like nothing more than an individual(s) trying to make a power grab at the players and fans expense. The more I read/hear about this, the more I think it's someone's fantasy of making $$$ to fit their own agenda. While there may be some good intentions, the ways to go about hasn't been well-thought out and researched in the way that it should be. I'm basing my opinion on what I've read and heard about this, especially from the folks who know the CHL.

If the PA does come to fruition (I just don't think it will at this point), I just see it being for the benefit of those in the upper-echelon of the organization, which so far I don't see players being involved in. And the potentially resulting tragedy in all of this is that it will be the players as well as the fans that will suffer the most.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:14 PM
GoAttackGo

I think the CHLPA has overlooked a lot of things that are almost common knowledge to the CHL fans, ie that some clubs are not even making close to 60 million dollars.i.e Owen Sound=small market clubs.
Another thing is thinking fans are going to be happy to shell out another $1.50 to go to the games. In Ottawa tickets are about 16 bucks, if they charge anymore people will go to Sens games (assuming no lock-out)considering sometimes you can get Sens tickets for 25-30$ and as of right now you have to go to Kanata to watch a 67's game, so why not pay $5 more to watch some of the best players in the world

GoAttackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 08:37 AM
BenchedGuy

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/FanAu...-Interview.mp3

Here is a Fan590 interview with David Branch from yesterday talking about the "CHLPA", players and incentives they currently receive....etc.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:18 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
They are the same individuals, but they are not compensated. Collegiate players can and have switched advisors with no financial repercussions.
An ethical agent is not compensated regardless of league until a pro contract is inked.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:40 AM
BenchedGuy

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/FanAu...-Interview.mp3

Here is an interview with Georges Laraque on Fan 590 yesterday talking breifly about the CHLPA and the "main issue" being education packages.

You have to go to the 5:20 mark to get to the CHLPA part.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:14 PM
CharlieGirl

The last 24 hours have been mind boggling watching this play out. It's surpassed all the bizarro wonky junior hockey stories and legends in history, and we're not done yet.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:14 PM
SidTheKid8787

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Damage done already RT @EnricoCiccone Georges Laraque démissionne. Laraque quits! @TVASports

And we may know why he just quit:

Frédéric Bhérer ‏@FredBherer
Georges Laraque nie avoir reconnu Derek Clarke sur la photo de Randy Gumbley... Pourtant, @TVASports a la preuve sur vidéo...

Translation:
Laraque denies Derek Clarke recognized the photo of Randy Gumbley...however TVASports has video evidence

Last edited by SidTheKid8787: 11-01-2012 at 09:26 PM.
SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:30 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

i thought there would be more posts then there have been so far

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:35 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
i thought there would be more posts then there have been so far
It's being discussed in great detail on an OHL message board (guessing the same thing goes for the W and Q) so there isn't as much to be said here. On the Business board, there are a lot of people with zero knowledge of the CHL offering expert opinions (and it's not limited to them - NHL writers have spread a ton of incorrect information around too). Sometimes, it's just not worth it.

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 11-02-2012 at 12:56 PM.