HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Why?

Old
05-15-2006, 07:16 PM
whitesox_2000_22*

vCash: 500
Why?

So why cant Carter kill penalties on Philadelphia again?? Oh ya cause Hithcock is an idiot...Persoanl Opinion

whitesox_2000_22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Lupul*

Turnovers? Although he's gotten much better.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

He's looked pretty awesome out there the last few games, so has Richards. It's amazing what they can do when they are an important part of the team and not looked at as just "rookies". They've both been creating offense, been great on the PK. Richards has made some ridiculous passes that are right up there with Crosby's highlights. These two need more of a chance next year.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 10:57 PM
mikedifr

And they should get it next year. We saw in the playoffs what happens when you rely on rookies too soon. 0 goals and 0 assists!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 09:35 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
We saw in the playoffs what happens when you rely on rookies too soon.
Rookies like Gaustad, Pominville, Miller and Vanek?

Or how about rookies like Michalek, Bernier, Goc, Carle and Gorges?

Or even Beauchemin, Penner, Getzlaf, Kunitz and Perry?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 09:40 AM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo

i understand where you're coming from, but carter and richards did NOTHING in the playoffs. look for them to be a crucial part of the team next year, they will be fine

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 09:46 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
i understand where you're coming from, but carter and richards did NOTHING in the playoffs. look for them to be a crucial part of the team next year, they will be fine

Understand where you're coming from, but I wonder how those two could have played on a team that didn't entirely suck, like the other rookies mentioned above.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 10:06 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:

they were counted on all year and given much more ice time. plus, hitch wasn't their coach

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Jester

Rookies like Gaustad(24 - 4p), Pominville(24 - 8p), Miller(25) and Vanek(22 - 1p)?

Or how about rookies like Michalek(22 - 5p), Bernier(21 - 6p), Goc(22 - 3p), Carle(21 - 3p) and Gorges(21 - 1p)?

Or even Beauchemin(25 - 7p), Penner(23 - 6p), Getzlaf(21 - 4p), Kunitz(26 - 7p) and Perry(20 - 3p)?

a) not all these rookies are comparable... big difference between 20/21 and 24+ in terms of hockey played.

b) some have showed up in the playoffs... others have not.

c) ours didn't show up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 11:06 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
they were counted on all year and given much more ice time. plus, hitch wasn't their coach
Exactly my point.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 01:52 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Don't even get me started on Hitchcock and rookies. Year 2 of Carter and Richards should be completely different. More ice time, consistent linemates, better production. If they don't get more ice time or consistent linemates, then something needs to be done in Philadelphia. You just can't continue to switch the roles of these guys and expect any sort of progress or development to continue when doing so. What these two need more than anything is some stability and some clear defined roles. For instance, either Richards is going to be a defensive shutdown center or he's going to be the team's two way guy a la Handzus. If he's going to flop back and forth between those roles, then you're wasting him. And if he's going to be wasted, then shame on the coach for doing so. With Carter, it's either he's going to be the top line right winger or he's going to be the number 2 centerman on this team. No more 12 minutes a game garbage. If that's the case, then once again, he's being wasted.

Now, I think Hitch is smart enough that he's going to give everyone a boost in playing time, especially with Forsberg out. However, it would not surprise me at all if he went to Bobby, said that they need a number one guy and Clarke went out and acquired one via trade or free agency. I think Richards can do the job on the top line and it's time that Hitch put some faith into the younger players and let them do the job. If they struggle at first, let them work through their struggles and don't panic and remove them immediately.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 12:13 AM
mikedifr

Quote:

Most, if not all of these guys were not given the responsiblity or expected to have the impact of Carter, Umberger and Richards.

Buffalo - Vanek has done nothing. Miller has been good, but not great in my opinion and Pominville and Guastad were not expected to be and are not the 3rd and 4th scoring option on the team like Carter and Umberger were for the FLyers

San Jose - Michalek and Bernier have been good not great and the other 3 are role players

Anaheim - Kunitz and Beauchemin have probably been the best of the bunch, but they are both 25-26 years old. Little different then 20 year olds like Carter and Richards. Again they were not relied on most of the year to be the 2nd scoring options like Carter and Umberger.

Old
05-17-2006, 03:34 AM
PRB

You have to be patient, you have to give rookies time to learn and grow. We had a lot of them this year and the year will have been a great experience for them that will bode well for the following years. Better than having a bunch of veterans that could have won this year but then broke up and retired in the coming years.

PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 08:05 AM
blueandgold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Most, if not all of these guys were not given the responsiblity or expected to have the impact of Carter, Umberger and Richards.

Buffalo - Vanek has done nothing. Miller has been good, but not great in my opinion and Pominville and Guastad were not expected to be and are not the 3rd and 4th scoring option on the team like Carter and Umberger were for the FLyers

Vanek had 25 goals and 23 assist in his rookie year........far from nothing....
He's been quiet in the playoffs, but I think fatigue is part of that.
Vanek WAS expected to be a scoring threat this year, and he was.

Miller has been great, top 10 in GAA and save %....2:1 W/L raio, and taking his team to the ECF....and counting? What IS great IYO?

blueandgold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 06:21 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgold
Vanek had 25 goals and 23 assist in his rookie year........far from nothing....
He's been quiet in the playoffs, but I think fatigue is part of that.
Vanek WAS expected to be a scoring threat this year, and he was.

Miller has been great, top 10 in GAA and save %....2:1 W/L raio, and taking his team to the ECF....and counting? What IS great IYO?
We are talking about the playoffs, not the regular season. Carter had 23 goals and 19 assists in a rookie year in which he wasnt in playing shape for at least the first month or two of the season, and on a team with no where near the depth of the Buffalo. He has been REALLY quiet in the playoffs. Why is that ok for Vanek, but not Carter?

As for Miller, I didnt watch much of the series against Ottawa, but he didnt face many tough shots against the Flyers. Matter of fact, when he did face a decent amount of shots he looked really shaky. He is a good goalie, and will most likely be a great goalie over the course of his career, maybe this year if he wins the cup, but from what I have seen from him to date, he is more part of a great team then a goalie that is great carrying his team through the playoffs.

Old
05-17-2006, 06:22 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast Giants
You have to be patient, you have to give rookies time to learn and grow. We had a lot of them this year and the year will have been a great experience for them that will bode well for the following years. Better than having a bunch of veterans that could have won this year but then broke up and retired in the coming years.
Exactly. That was my point. We relied on them too early in their careers. I think all of them are going to be very good, might be next year or it may take another year but they will be very good players.