HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Get Well Soon Brandon! Houston Aeros @ OKC Barons, Friday 11/2 6PM MDT

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
lame. I get hall sitting one. but why nuge and ebs?
They're playing 3 games in 3 nights, I think Nelson said earlier he would limit their back to back games.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Bah, have to miss this game too. Why did I even bother getting the season package?

Old
11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They're playing 3 games in 3 nights, I think Nelson said earlier he would limit their back to back games.
I get that, but I don't get that. THey are 19, 20, 21 years old. Let them play 3 games in 3 nights. I don't see the big deal.

Again, I get Hall though.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

The level they play at dehydration and recovery is a bigger concern than we give credit to. I don't understand the AHL schedule, 3 games in 3 nights is pretty awful.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The level they play at dehydration and recovery is a bigger concern than we give credit to. I don't understand the AHL schedule, 3 games in 3 nights is pretty awful.
ya, well first all I don't get that, 3 games in 3 nights is nuts.

Still. I just don't see the harm in letting nuge and ebs do it. Its not putting them at risk for injury or anything. Just a fittness test is all.

Any way. I say do it. They are young.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
They do 3 in 3 pretty often in the AHL, there will be more to come. Probably on average they do a three in three at least once a month.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Not sure why they are sitting RNH and Eberle that much TBH, unless it's to keep everyone sharp and give them bigger roles at times. Perhaps it's to get a better look at guys like Hartikainen and Paajarvi for potential trades? I'm not too sure.

11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not sure why they are sitting RNH and Eberle that much TBH, unless it's to keep everyone sharp and give them bigger roles at times. Perhaps it's to get a better look at guys like Hartikainen and Paajarvi for potential trades? I'm not too sure.
I'm assuming its a strategy used to protect them from fatigue which leads to a lot of injuries both physically and even mental exhaustion. With the value of their contracts they can't jeopardize these highly valuable assets to the larger club. It would likely cost them their job if they did in theory.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:19 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Risk of injury increases if they are worn down playing their third game in as many nights. Winning an extra AHL game or two isn't worth that risk.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:19 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
the thing is they also get all week to rest. ANy way, I still think nuge and ebs should play all three. oh well, I am not charge so what can you do.

Also then why not sit Shultz? If anything he is the guy you worry more about, he has only played 40 some games before. Nuge and Ebs have both played full NHL seasons.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
the thing is they also get all week to rest. ANy way, I still think nuge and ebs should play all three. oh well, I am not charge so what can you do.

Also then why not sit Shultz? If anything he is the guy you worry more about, he has only played 40 some games before. Nuge and Ebs have both played full NHL seasons.
Obviously not with Hall right now. But I agree, unless they just want to get other players more ice time and reward them for hard work etc... Then I see no other reason why Ebs and Nuge should not play all three. I guess Ebs has had a bit of a sore back recently.

Like you say no games all week and only 2 games the following weekend.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:22 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Risk of injury increases if they are worn down playing their third game in as many nights. Winning an extra AHL game or two isn't worth that risk.
meh, I really don't think it does. I think for a older player you think about it, but for a 19 year old. I really don't think it is a issue.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Obviously not with Hall right now. But I agree, unless they just want to get other players more ice time and reward them for hard work etc... Then I see no other reason why Ebs and Nuge should not play all three. I guess Ebs has had a bit of a sore back recently.
ya, and I guess nuge lost some teeth. so maybe a day of is deserved. Any way, if they are healthy, I think they should play. However, if they have some bumps and buises, sure sit them, I guess I don't know so I shouldn't comment.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:

Eberle and Hopkins have already proved themselves at a higher level, Schultz has not. Playing a full season of pro-hockey is pivotal in development whereas in these guys' case it's a good way to stay sharp and prevent from regression with little opportunity for progression.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
ya, and I guess nuge lost some teeth. so maybe a day of is deserved. Any way, if they are healthy, I think they should play. However, if they have some bumps and buises, sure sit them, I guess I don't know so I shouldn't comment.
TRuth is he only had his teeth bent back. I believe one of them was chipped but thanks to his mouth guard they all stayed intact or at least rooted in his jawbone. But at that its still a scaring experience for some I know it made me hesitant and tentative afterwards myself. Nothing worse than a damaged mouthpiece, a lost model look with no pro contract, in his case it comes with the territory and chicks dig it.

Last edited by Grod: 11-02-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I'm assuming its a strategy used to protect them from fatigue which leads to a lot of injuries both physically and even mental exhaustion. With the value of their contracts they can't jeopardize these highly valuable assets to the larger club. It would likely cost them their job if they did in theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I get that, however if we are so worried about that then why don't we have Abney riding shotgun with them? It's not a huge deal either way, but it's a little disappointing IMO.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Personally I would've loaded up both games against Houston to send a message, but to each their own.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Hitchslap

I really wanted to see RNH, Hall and Eberle together this weekend. Oh well. Our PP definitely will be noticeably worse tonight. Hopefully Schultz can work some magic anyways.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

The coaches probably just want to give other prospects a chance to play in the top six.

Having three established NHLers in the top six would push other players down the depth chart and possibly hurt their development.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

I'm less upset about missing the game. Hall and Eberle are big draws but put RNH between them and it's really something else.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
I get that, however if we are so worried about that then why don't we have Abney riding shotgun with them? It's not a huge deal either way, but it's a little disappointing IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The coaches probably just want to give other prospects a chance to play in the top six.

Having three established NHLers in the top six would push other players down the depth chart and possibly hurt their development.
I understand where you're coming from BBO as I'd like to see them all play on the same line too. Good for the game and of course those three and their chemistry.

But like OT says here its likely that these three aren't going to be full-time for this team. For the entire year that is. So Nelson needs to let other guys get a chance, develop into their roles and establish and prove themselves to a comfort level before the elite fly out. It makes sense in the larger picture don't ya think?

Old
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
If coaches want other players in top 6 then stick the superkids on the checking line every once in a while..
Im gettin the feeling that Nelson is a player softy just like Renney and MacT were..
I miss Quinn

Old
11-02-2012, 04:00 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Bah, have to miss this game too. Why did I even bother getting the season package?
They archive the games so you can watch them whenever you want.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
If coaches want other players in top 6 then stick the superkids on the checking line every once in a while..
Im gettin the feeling that Nelson is a player softy just like Renney and MacT were..
I miss Quinn
I don't know about that yet.

I would assume he was a big part of Abney and Zahn being called up.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
shouldve sat all 3 tomorrow and played them today and on sunday.

O well..

I guess Schultz would be sitting out a game as well.

Closed Thread