HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

How is the new fighting rule working?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2012, 02:26 AM
  #26
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
If you call success putting yourself ahead of the players in his league for your OWN personal gain,then yes in your eyes he is successful.In my eyes NO WAY
I think CharlieGirl has summed it up, and I don't have much to add other than my recollection of the facts is different than yours. Branch was the first to bring in head check rules by a couple of years. I had season tickets forever, and seeing my team once a year on Sportsnet wasn't a reason to stop buying. I don't agree with with Yakupov decision (it impacted us in Barrie because his lone visit was one of the two games he missed due to the suspension), but that doesn't take away the fact that the prospects game was brought in under his tenure, and most fans enjoy that game regardless of what it does for the CHL coffers. I started off my last post with "I'm not going to defend every Branch decision" and I'll close this one with the same. Overall all though, I think the various junior leagues have prospered under his tenure.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:01 AM
  #27
Spitsfan67*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
People over react so much on fighting, it's not as bad as it seems. I've said it before and I'll say it again it has it's place in the sport, sometime players have to ref the game because if they don't players take run at stars because there's no consiquences, and sometimes you need it when you need to get your team going when your down 3/4 nothing, planned/staged fight they should be out of the game no need for fights just because you want to fight, if there's a reason to fighting like protecting a teammate then there should be no problems.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 01:00 PM
  #28
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
I'm not watching any OHL games this year online. I plan to attend one Erie game to watch McDavid and JOHNNY McGUIRE play.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:55 PM
  #29
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
People over react so much on fighting, it's not as bad as it seems. I've said it before and I'll say it again it has it's place in the sport, sometime players have to ref the game because if they don't players take run at stars because there's no consiquences, and sometimes you need it when you need to get your team going when your down 3/4 nothing, planned/staged fight they should be out of the game no need for fights just because you want to fight, if there's a reason to fighting like protecting a teammate then there should be no problems.
Doesn't your comment simply suggest that the officials should be under greater scrutiny if you believe players need to take things into their own hands?

My prediction is that fighting will be completely out of the game at all levels within the next 20 years.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 05:05 PM
  #30
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
I must've watch 15-16 games now, I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but I'd say the new fighting rule is definitely reducing the amount of fights, but is raising the quality of the fights. It's like the players are making the most of it and not wasting their notches as it climbs up. I like it because the fights are rarer making it more special when they do duke it out.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:26 AM
  #31
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Doesn't your comment simply suggest that the officials should be under greater scrutiny if you believe players need to take things into their own hands?

My prediction is that fighting will be completely out of the game at all levels within the next 20 years.
As long as you have physical contact and speed between human beings, you're going to have the occasional fight. It's inevitable. You might be able to reduce it to the NFL level, by putting in hefty suspensions, but you can't have players running into each other at high speeds and not expect emotions to run high. (especially with the junior hockey age group)

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:35 AM
  #32
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
As long as you have physical contact and speed between human beings, you're going to have the occasional fight. It's inevitable. You might be able to reduce it to the NFL level, by putting in hefty suspensions, but you can't have players running into each other at high speeds and not expect emotions to run high. (especially with the junior hockey age group)
I disagree but we can agree to disagree. Stay well!

P.S. When I played college football, collisions were the norm but everyone knew there was no fighting (penalties were substantial), so there were no fights.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:44 AM
  #33
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
As long as you have physical contact and speed between human beings, you're going to have the occasional fight. It's inevitable. You might be able to reduce it to the NFL level, by putting in hefty suspensions, but you can't have players running into each other at high speeds and not expect emotions to run high. (especially with the junior hockey age group)
I do agree, but when this same age group competes at an international level, they know they can't fight, so they don't. During playoffs, it happens but it's a rare occurrence -- the players can play without fighting when they have to.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
  #34
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
You're all missing the point here...They don't HAVE to fight. None of them have to drop the gloves. They choose to scrap. They all pretty respectful about it too. They know not to hit guys when they're down and such. 90% of the punches don't even land.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:59 AM
  #35
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
You're all missing the point here...They don't HAVE to fight. None of them have to drop the gloves. They choose to scrap. They all pretty respectful about it too. They know not to hit guys when they're down and such. 90% of the punches don't even land.
So if they don't HAVE to fight, what's the difference if they're limited to 10 fights per year? If 90% of punches aren't landed, why bother in the first place?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of fights, but I do agree that they have their place in the game. What I'm happy about is that the goon who provides nothing but fighting is going the way of the dinosaur, and he's being replaced by a guy who can play the game and drop the gloves when necessary. That should be a huge plus to fans of the OHL.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
  #36
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
So if they don't HAVE to fight, what's the difference if they're limited to 10 fights per year? If 90% of punches aren't landed, why bother in the first place?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of fights, but I do agree that they have their place in the game. What I'm happy about is that the goon who provides nothing but fighting is going the way of the dinosaur, and he's being replaced by a guy who can play the game and drop the gloves when necessary. That should be a huge plus to fans of the OHL.
Well, dump those guys and dump the stupid rule. I'm 80% sure Ty Bilcke is the reason behind this. He's not a good player and he can't fight either. Also, if they want to fight, let them fight. There's nothing wrong with a couple of guys wanting to have a go.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:34 AM
  #37
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Well, dump those guys and dump the stupid rule. I'm 80% sure Ty Bilcke is the reason behind this. He's not a good player and he can't fight either. Also, if they want to fight, let them fight. There's nothing wrong with a couple of guys wanting to have a go.
What in the rules prevents a couple of guys wanting to have a go every now and then? I guess it comes down to how you define "every now and then". The rule changes were brought in to help eliminate the goons - otherwise, teams would still have their designated heavyweight on their roster.

I'd much rather watch a scoring opportunity or a great defensive play or save than two guys standing there punching each other (or hugging each other).

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:25 PM
  #38
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I do agree, but when this same age group competes at an international level, they know they can't fight, so they don't. During playoffs, it happens but it's a rare occurrence -- the players can play without fighting when they have to.
You could easily have fewer fights, but I was referring to the comment that, in 20 years, fighting will be gone from the game completely. I don't believe that'll ever happen due to the smaller nature of the playing surface, the high speeds, and the constant contact.

Quote:
He's not a good player and he can't fight either.
Mind backing this argument up? I'm curious.

While I realize goals and big saves get the crowds on their feet, a good fight between two heavyweights can have a tremendous effect on both the crowd and the teams. Never underestimate that.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
  #39
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You could easily have fewer fights, but I was referring to the comment that, in 20 years, fighting will be gone from the game completely. I don't believe that'll ever happen due to the smaller nature of the playing surface, the high speeds, and the constant contact.
Aaah, okay -- I agree with you. As long as there are teenaged boys and the ability to fight, there will be fights.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  #40
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Look at the USHL; there is no rule on fighting and the most fights one player will have all year is 10-15. None of the guys that fight are liabilities either. Two of the best fighters in the league are captains for their teams and one is an NHL draft pick.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
  #41
Spitsfan67*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Well, dump those guys and dump the stupid rule. I'm 80% sure Ty Bilcke is the reason behind this. He's not a good player and he can't fight either. Also, if they want to fight, let them fight. There's nothing wrong with a couple of guys wanting to have a go.
Well then your not a spits fan and you don't watch his fights, because he wins 80 % of his fights and he will take on anyone in the league and he can compete with every player in the league in a fight, I'll agree and say he is not a good ohl player...he's just not made to play In this league, other then to be a goon... But fighting yes he can throw em, I'd say he's only lost one fight this year and that was last night, they went back and forth with the lefts and rights but the London player got a couple last Rights in for the win.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:38 AM
  #42
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Well then your not a spits fan and you don't watch his fights, because he wins 80 % of his fights and he will take on anyone in the league and he can compete with every player in the league in a fight, I'll agree and say he is not a good ohl player...he's just not made to play In this league, other then to be a goon... But fighting yes he can throw em, I'd say he's only lost one fight this year and that was last night, they went back and forth with the lefts and rights but the London player got a couple last Rights in for the win.
McGuire - 19 wins in 27 fights
Mathers - 15 wins in 24 fights
Bilcke - 15 wins in 41 fights

Bilcke had losses against pretty much every other heavyweight in the league.


Last edited by MonsterSurge: 11-03-2012 at 12:47 AM.
MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:43 AM
  #43
Spitsfan67*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
He got beat in most of his fights last year. I have watched his fights. He's nowhere close to McGuire and Mathers.
You have your opinion and I have my own, Bilcke is a heavyweight weather you want to bieleve it or not. Bilcke is one of the best in this league when it comes to fighting, he's just pathetic when it comes down to playing the game....


Last edited by Spitsfan67*: 11-03-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:44 AM
  #44
Spitsfan67*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
McGuire - 19 wins in 27 fights
Mathers - 15 wins in 24 fights
Bilcke - 15 wins in 41 fights including losses to McGuire and Mathers.
Wheres this source? Yours?

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:51 AM
  #45
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
You have your opinion and I have my own, Bilcke is a heavyweight weather you want to bieleve it or not, and I remember Ty beating both McGuire and Mathers last season. Bilcke is one of the best in this league when it comes to fighting, he's just pathetic when it comes down to playing the game....
Would you like to see the video? I have no favorite team, so I'm not being a homer here. I'm also getting a Spits hoodie for Christmas. I don't hate Windsor. I don't want to start a war here. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:44 AM
  #46
BigBuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Wheres this source? Yours?
Here are the stats on Bickle from Drop your Gloves website
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...x?Player=67639
Mcguire
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...spx?P=60158&L=
Mathers
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...spx?P=61498&L=


Last edited by BigBuck: 11-03-2012 at 08:51 AM.
BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:28 PM
  #47
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
McGuire - 19 wins in 27 fights
Mathers - 15 wins in 24 fights
Bilcke - 15 wins in 41 fights

Bilcke had losses against pretty much every other heavyweight in the league.
Have you actually watched the fights, or just going off the stats? I love DYG, but the potential for bias and skewed totals is so incredible it's not funny.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:13 PM
  #48
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Have you actually watched the fights, or just going off the stats? I love DYG, but the potential for bias and skewed totals is so incredible it's not funny.
Yes, I have. I don't agree with a lot of calls on there.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:26 PM
  #49
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Yes, I have. I don't agree with a lot of calls on there.
Then, you'd know Bilcke has more than handled himself well against pretty much anyone in the league. If you're looking at just the Mathers and Zweep fights, don't forget that those two have handled everyone with ease so far.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 07:53 PM
  #50
NotPartoftheGame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Fighting remains in hockey for a simple reason, because the leagues and institutions allow it and encourage it. At age 15 hockey players are under similar rules to all other sports; fight and get kicked out of the game. At age 16 hockey diverges from all other sports and allows players to police the game - http://itsnotpartofthegame.blogspot....-they-can.html.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, having an emotional biased player making decisions on who should be punished. That role belongs to the officials. If you are really concerned about cheap shots and head trauma then you would be demanding that the refs are given new rules to work with and harsher penalties to hand out. Fighting only increases the violence, it doesn't reduce it. You can't demand or gain respect from your opponent by punching him in the head.

NotPartoftheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.