HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What are the chances?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
  #1
Danglous
Registered User
 
Danglous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
What are the chances?

I'm a life long house leaguer who will be 23 in a few weeks. Over the past 10 years or so, I have improved in hockey significantly by surrounding myself with talent and working hard on my game. I go to every public hockey I can and have played on a championship team in B level mens league. Its only been three years on the ice for me but Ive played roller my whole life. After converting to ice and getting comfortable with the skating/getting in shape I am better than I ever was. I feel with the right coaching I can make a big impact.

Right now I am very motivated to get back to community college and transfer to a 4 year school. Wherever I go I want to try to make their team. Obviously not top-tier DI schools, but just a club team or something. I plan on working out every week and eating only the best diet, while working to improve my game.

What do you guys think my chances are of walking onto a college club team at 24 or 25? I dont know the rules for eligibility as far as age goes, and I'm not sure how the teams are around here talent-wise.

Would any of you recommend anything for me?

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:40 AM
  #2
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,418
vCash: 500
I have no idea, but so long as you haven't played as a pro you've got a shot.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:40 AM
  #3
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 838
vCash: 50
From my understanding from friends who play in D1 and D2 ACHA, the eligibility rules are slightly different depending on division with the strictest being D1. D1 loosely resembles NCAA guidelines but a bit more lenient.
As far as going out for a team, it really depends on the team you're going out for. Just about all teams hold open try outs, but some teams are more professional in the way they run things and others run their team very lax.
Your best bet is to talk to the coach of whatever school you eventually choose to to, and ask him what he expects of his players and what the team needs are. Good luck.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
  #4
Jackson12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
i think your chances are very high if you can actually play the game

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:35 PM
  #5
Danglous
Registered User
 
Danglous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
From my understanding from friends who play in D1 and D2 ACHA, the eligibility rules are slightly different depending on division with the strictest being D1. D1 loosely resembles NCAA guidelines but a bit more lenient.
As far as going out for a team, it really depends on the team you're going out for. Just about all teams hold open try outs, but some teams are more professional in the way they run things and others run their team very lax.
Your best bet is to talk to the coach of whatever school you eventually choose to to, and ask him what he expects of his players and what the team needs are. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson12 View Post
i think your chances are very high if you can actually play the game
Thanks guys. I know there are so many intangibles out there and that every team is different. I just want to be sure I'm not wasting valuable time and money to make this happen.

I know I can play, but I know there is alot of room for improvement. Guys at public hockey are always asking me what college I play for. With a little bit of coaching and alot of hard work I know I can take it to another level. I plan on attending a power skating clinic or two if I can afford it.

EDIT: Most of the schools Im interested in are D2 ACHA


Last edited by Danglous: 11-02-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
  #6
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Thanks guys. I know there are so many intangibles out there and that every team is different. I just want to be sure I'm not wasting valuable time and money to make this happen.

I know I can play, but I know there is alot of room for improvement. Guys at public hockey are always asking me what college I play for. With a little bit of coaching and alot of hard work I know I can take it to another level. I plan on attending a power skating clinic or two if I can afford it.

EDIT: Most of the schools Im interested in are D2 ACHA
Honestly, if you have been playing nothing but house league all your life, you are going to have a tough time getting a roster spot on most DII ACHA teams. While obviously not at the level of NCAA hockey, most teams are filled with guys who have been playing AAA ice hockey all their lives.

My alma mater is one of the top DIII teams in the country, and every player on the roster played AAA hockey growing up.

Some teams obviously have lower talent levels and would be easier to get a spot on, but it's going to be very difficult for you to earn.

I hate to be the Debbie downer, but what you want to do will be very challenging and will be very expensive regardless of the result.

Obviously this is something you have your heart set on, but in my opinion your best bet is to get yourself into a school that fits you academically, and then try out for the team and hopefully work your way onto the roster. Picking a school based on a club sport could have serious long term consequences to your future in the real world.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:30 PM
  #7
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Honestly, take the comments here with a grain of salt. They don't know how good or bad you are. Work hard, take your shot, and go find out.

I made the transition from goalie to forward and made a PA club college team after playing forward for maybe 5 months. Granted I had skated for years which helped. I was a 3rd/4th line hustler, banger, defensive forward, etc. but I made the team.

At 40yrs old and 3-4yrs total of playing non goalie under my belt(took 16yrs off), I play mens league vs. guys right out of AAA, college (Scranton U, West Chester U, WVU, etc. etc). Are most better than me? Absolutely. Is my line a minus most nights? Absolutely not.

Go at it from all angles, mainly:
1) Become a better athlete
2) Become a better hockey player

Good luck to you

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.