HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

HF Jets Lounge | Now with 92.7% Less Football!

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Diatidialga

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Not an assassins creed fan. None of them really felt like I was an assassin and really did not like the " 'merica" story line of the last game. I mean really, you can't even make an Assassin game about something other then america or an obvious homage to it? Sorry maybe I'm being snobby but it really felt like there was a good story, then someone took it to a focus group and came back with "make it more....American"

I'd love an assassins creed type game if the story was less propagandish and it was more assassin (ie like old schoolThief or those ninja games for PS.. not ninjagaiden the other ones...)
AC is made by Ubisoft Montreal

Old
11-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Where it was made doesn't really matter, it just seemed like there was the basis for a good story line, which got sort of "lowest common denominator" dumbed down to make the game more marketable. I've seen it in a lot of games (pretty much any good game put out by a relatively small production house, that then gets bought or picked up by someone big), where an initial game is good, and has a genuinely interesting story, and then the sequel gets the "hollywood" or "prime-time-tv" treatment, where its sort of watered down to be more "accessible".

just how the game across to me. and the ninja game i was thinking of was Tenchu.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:53 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Fort McMurray is such a dump.
One of the few cities I have spent time in where pretty much everyone I meet really doesn't like the town. I purchased a business in Fort Mac a year and half ago and it is a lucrative market to operate in "IF" you can get over the HR challenges

Old
11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Not an assassins creed fan. None of them really felt like I was an assassin and really did not like the " 'merica" story line of the last game. I mean really, you can't even make an Assassin game about something other then america or an obvious homage to it? Sorry maybe I'm being snobby but it really felt like there was a good story, then someone took it to a focus group and came back with "make it more....American"

I loved dragon age origins. Probably still my favorite game.

DA2 was OK once I stopped wishing it was DAO.

Mass effect two was fun but it kept reminding me of how DA2 failed.

Was really disappointed with halo after the first one. Other games evolved and brought in new mechanics (gears of war was probably the first shooter I really fell in love with) while the Halo franchise just changed graphics and guns.

Currently I play skyrim, DA2 (a little) and a whole lot of NHL. I keep looking for new games but nothing really grabs my attention.

I'd love an assassins creed type game if the story was less propagandish and it was more assassin (ie like old schoolThief or those ninja games for PS.. not ninjagaiden the other ones...)
I literally have NO idea what you are talking about...it's set in Italy during the renaissance, it has nothing to do with America? And Ubisoft in Montreal put out both games, they did not get bought out, they did not get picked up, in fact the first AC was a HUGE release with years of hype, if anything that was the bigger release.

I mean I could see if you were complaining about AC3 which is set in America during the Revolution, but even then it's just the setting for the game, same as Renaissance Italy and Middle Age Middle East before that, not sure what is propagandaish about it at all. The second game naturally picks up the storyline from the first, it is one of the absolute best in the gaming world, then continues it on to Brotherhood and Revelations to arrive where we are now in AC3. There has been absolutely nothing to do with America until AC3. Can you explain where you thought the story line had anything to do America?

Halo evolved just as much as other games did. Gears of War is easily my favourite first person shooter ever, (Halo is 2nd) but it evolved from 1-3 about as much as Halo did. You can't expect a series to go away from what makes it what it is, that would just alienate the current fanbase.

Dragon Age was solid. Played Origins for a while, but just ran out of time never completed it. Will go back to it someday when I have time

Skyrim was awesome as well, but I just never seemed to have time to finish that game. Plus is felt like Fallout so much. If I could do nothing with my life I would lock myself in a room with all these games and play, I think I'd be content enough

Old
11-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I literally have NO idea what you are talking about...it's set in Italy during the renaissance, it has nothing to do with America? And Ubisoft in Montreal put out both games, they did not get bought out, they did not get picked up, in fact the first AC was a HUGE release with years of hype, if anything that was the bigger release.

I mean I could see if you were complaining about AC3 which is set in America during the Revolution, but even then it's just the setting for the game, same as Renaissance Italy and Middle Age Middle East before that, not sure what is propagandaish about it at all. The second game naturally picks up the storyline from the first, it is one of the absolute best in the gaming world, then continues it on to Brotherhood and Revelations to arrive where we are now in AC3. There has been absolutely nothing to do with America until AC3. Can you explain where you thought the story line had anything to do America?

Halo evolved just as much as other games did. Gears of War is easily my favourite first person shooter ever, (Halo is 2nd) but it evolved from 1-3 about as much as Halo did. You can't expect a series to go away from what makes it what it is, that would just alienate the current fanbase.

Dragon Age was solid. Played Origins for a while, but just ran out of time never completed it. Will go back to it someday when I have time

Skyrim was awesome as well, but I just never seemed to have time to finish that game. Plus is felt like Fallout so much. If I could do nothing with my life I would lock myself in a room with all these games and play, I think I'd be content enough

I think it was the whole weird "modern western guy doing weird science to relive his ancient historic ancesters life as an assassin" and the weird co-vert government ****. Am I thinking of the right game? I just really thought the game would have been better if you were just an assassin, not a modern dude dreaming about being an assassin or w/e that was.

I'm completely aware of AC's history and the fanfare the original and follow up were released to. The other stuff was a reference to what happens to alot of games, i did not mean to imply that's what happened to AC.

I know AC was big and wasn't picked up or bought out or anything, i just meant the Story/style of the game, to me, FELT like one of those games, where the original intention/story had been altered to appeal to a broader market.

Am i even thinking of the right game? you have me second guessing myself....

and i concur that if i didn't currently have a girlfriend, i would probably never get one as i'd be far too busy playing games

Old
11-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I think it was the whole weird "modern western guy doing weird science to relive his ancient historic ancesters life as an assassin" and the weird co-vert government ****. Am I thinking of the right game? I just really thought the game would have been better if you were just an assassin, not a modern dude dreaming about being an assassin or w/e that was.

I'm completely aware of AC's history and the fanfare the original and follow up were released to. The other stuff was a reference to what happens to alot of games, i did not mean to imply that's what happened to AC.

I know AC was big and wasn't picked up or bought out or anything, i just meant the Story/style of the game, to me, FELT like one of those games, where the original intention/story had been altered to appeal to a broader market.

Am i even thinking of the right game? you have me second guessing myself....

and i concur that if i didn't currently have a girlfriend, i would probably never get one as i'd be far too busy playing games
Yeah your thinking of the right game, Lynk posted a "review of AC in 5 mins" up there you can check out if you want if you've got 5 minutes...

I personally like that aspect of the storyline, it's what makes moving era to era possible and makes the storyline with "The Ones Who Came Before" possible. That's possibly the best part about AC, IMO, is the back story of the "First Ones", the coming apocalypse, Subject 16's secret video, pieces of Eden, all the fluff about abstergo's current movements, things like that, I love all the backstory the put into it. Doesn't feel forced or changed at all to me, not with the level of backstory involved, and the way all of this stuff ties in to the current time is awesome, much better than doing random ultimately pointless assassinations in the past, IMO. But jmo...

Old
11-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Yeah your thinking of the right game, Lynk posted a "review of AC in 5 mins" up there you can check out if you want if you've got 5 minutes...

I personally like that aspect of the storyline, it's what makes moving era to era possible and makes the storyline with "The Ones Who Came Before" possible. That's possibly the best part about AC, IMO, is the back story of the "First Ones", the coming apocalypse, Subject 16's secret video, pieces of Eden, all the fluff about abstergo's current movements, things like that, I love all the backstory the put into it. Doesn't feel forced or changed at all to me, not with the level of backstory involved, and the way all of this stuff ties in to the current time is awesome, much better than doing random ultimately pointless assassinations in the past, IMO. But jmo...
different strokes i guess.

I'm a big fantasy/medieval/RPG guy, so the modern twists probably just offended that aspect. I probably didn't give it enough time but the combination of that, and not feeling like an assasin, felt like iwas be sold a period/fantasy assassin game but was being given a sudo-sy-fy hack-n'-slash game. the disconnect in expectation and product recieved probably has the most to do with me being soured on the franchise. Add in the US setting of the third one and i was heavily turned off.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Diatidialga

Well, I spend the majority of my free time this week playing Grand Strategy game.

Turns out I ****ing suck at them all, My Russians got destroyed by the hordes, My 'muricans got beat by the Mexicans and my Communist Germans got destroyed by the French "just cuz"

Old
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Well, I spend the majority of my free time this week playing Grand Strategy game.

Turns out I ****ing suck at them all, My Russians got destroyed by the hordes, My 'muricans got beat by the Mexicans and my Communist Germans got destroyed by the French "just cuz"
wtf is grand strategy.....

Old
11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
wtf is grand strategy.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_strategy_wargame

Old
11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
SirloinUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
One of the few cities I have spent time in where pretty much everyone I meet really doesn't like the town. I purchased a business in Fort Mac a year and half ago and it is a lucrative market to operate in "IF" you can get over the HR challenges
I moved to Fort McMurray 16 years ago and have grown to love it! I don't understand how people can chirp a city that has provided so much (financial) opportunity.

The downtown core was stagnant for a long time and now they are the brink of 2 billion dollars in development. Thats right 2[B]Billion![/B}

Old
11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
I moved to Fort McMurray 16 years ago and have grown to love it! I don't understand how people can chirp a city that has provided so much (financial) opportunity.

The downtown core was stagnant for a long time and now they are the brink of 2 billion dollars in development. Thats right 2[B]Billion![/B}
So much financial opportunity, yet all of the people I know from the Mac are up to their eyeballs in debt, broke, and stressed out. But hey, look what half a million dollars can get you in Fort Mac ...

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=1329100564

compared to Winnipeg ...

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=-422319713

Old
11-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I kinda wish we could fast forward a few months for games. Coming out:

Hitman: Absolution

Bioshock: Infinite

Grand Theft Auto 5

and Watch Dogs.

All look absolutely amazing. Can't wait.

11-02-2012, 10:05 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post

Yea I am suprised by the amount of negatively given how much stinken cash people make there but allot of it seems to come from a fairly large transient work force and maybe that is why they chirp. glad they are developing and moving forward. A Good friend of mine has been looking for appropriate propery for a hotel development for years and has never been able to get a deal done. forecasts of population growth for the area over the next decade are impressive. I know I am happy I aquired a business in Fort Mac.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I kinda wish we could fast forward a few months for games. Coming out:

Hitman: Absolution

Bioshock: Infinite

Grand Theft Auto 5

and Watch Dogs.

All look absolutely amazing. Can't wait.
Meh...GTA has lost it's appeal for me altogether, Bioshock has never held my interest and the reports are that it's gotten worse since 1, and I don't like the Hitman series....sorry not my cup of tea

Old
11-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Halo 4 for me. Beyond excited.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
Rome Total War 2 is the game that I am holding out for (and for sure need a new computer for). The first one was the first game I ever played religiously, the others in the series were good but not close to how good Rome was.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Meh...GTA has lost it's appeal for me altogether, Bioshock has never held my interest and the reports are that it's gotten worse since 1, and I don't like the Hitman series....sorry not my cup of tea
That's ok, that is why they make a variety of games lmao!

I have been bored with the 'NHL' series for 3 years, haven't bothered. Assassin's creed is just bleh for me.

Watch Dogs looks amazing. It will come out on PS3 and 360 but rumor has it it will be one of the premiere titles for the 720 as well.

Bioshock is out there, but people who like the gameplay absolutely love the game. Anyone who says 2 isn't as good as one have not played the game. A great story and graphics/ sound/ interaction that actually immerse you in the game and make you scared to play it in the dark.

Bioshock and GTA series consistently get between a high 9 and a 10 on IGN's games ratings, and are known as a couple of the all time greatest game franchises, so I know I'm not alone. Honestly, as great as GTA4 did I thought it was too dark and didn't really stay true to what the franchise is. I am hoping a move back to Los Santos will bring back some of the fun. If not, there is always another Saints Row coming along

Again though, to each his own. Modern Warfare is one of the all time most popular and most played games but I couldn't be bothered with it any more.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Diatidialga

Its always fun having the Stomach Flu on a weekend

Old
11-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Paradox Interactive's "Supreme Ruler: Cold War"? I heard that was a disappointment. I like their games and am taking a Russian History course, so it'd be cool to find out otherwise.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:01 PM
puck stoppa

Ive been checking out some Midget games this year and just wanted to note that Howden's little brother Brett has a point per game in the Midget AAA league as a 14 year old. He may just be a first overall pick in the WHL draft this spring.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Paradox Interactive's "Supreme Ruler: Cold War"? I heard that was a disappointment. I like their games and am taking a Russian History course, so it'd be cool to find out otherwise.
It was actually quite good, it's just it suffers from the same problem Cites XL had and that the larger your territory, the slower the game runs, even with high end PCs.

Darkest Hour is a great Alternate history game, when you load it up as Germany you can pick if you want a Nazi or Communist government

Old
11-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
It was actually quite good, it's just it suffers from the same problem Cites XL had and that the larger your territory, the slower the game runs, even with high end PCs.

Darkest Hour is a great Alternate history game, when you load it up as Germany you can pick if you want a Nazi or Communist government
Yeah, I heard that was good, particularly the mod where you can make a Communist US government led by John Reed.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
EUIII, CKII, and VicII are some of my favourite games. I found HOI III to be a disappointment after really liking the first two.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
EUIII, CKII, and VicII are some of my favourite games. I found HOI III to be a disappointment after really liking the first two.
EU3 with all the DLC is amazing, the mod support really makes it the best Grand Strategy game of all time. EU4 just looks like CK2

Closed Thread