HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PPM Part VIII: Sponsor Offers are in for Hockey!

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
canucks357

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald76 View Post
Soccer League Title done and dusted in Ireland 1.I tonight...

Despite NOT losing a single game since round 14 of the season I've finished 2nd.

How slow of a slow start did you have? I've drew one game all year and won the rest. Two nonames to end the season. No complaints here. Got all my strong teams out of the way early in the season. Clinched the title with 5 games left and have been running camps now to ensure a League Cup title and some bonus OTR next season.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
tujague

I've finished 4th in soccer, and I'm kinda happy about that. Maybe I shouldn't be but I amI had a pretty dismal season early on. I was in 11th place after 19 games. But an unreal 16-4-2 run to close out the season helped fix that I even came very close to 3rd, but was stomped 0-3 against the Headerz. If I could have won that one... so close.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
I've finished 4th in soccer, and I'm kinda happy about that. Maybe I shouldn't be but I amI had a pretty dismal season early on. I was in 11th place after 19 games. But an unreal 16-4-2 run to close out the season helped fix that I even came very close to 3rd, but was stomped 0-3 against the Headerz. If I could have won that one... so close.
Congrats buddy! Curiosity wants to congradulate you: CLICK ME!

Last edited by canucks357: 11-01-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Congrats on taking home fourth place. You finished ahead of some good teams, such as the Betamax and Wildcats. That's pretty good, especially when you consider you currently don't have anyone on the team of the season.

I'll finish in 2nd, with the last game essentially being an exhibition against the Coronas. The rational part of me wants to go ahead and start my first training camp of the season. The gamer in me wants to protect my OTR lead. I may also break up a bit of my core, although that may depend on if I'm able to land any players this weekend. I need to re-evaluate my prospects as well and see who to jettison as well. With 37 players, I'm currently paying about 675k in player salaries and 236k in fees.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:39 AM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
Congrats buddy! Curiosity wants to congradulate you: CLICK ME!
WOW! That's an unbelievable shot. Kudos to the team for taking that one. Wow. That's a desktop, right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
Congrats on taking home fourth place. You finished ahead of some good teams, such as the Betamax and Wildcats. That's pretty good, especially when you consider you currently don't have anyone on the team of the season. .
It's like that for all of my sim teams. I win leagues in hockey arena and barely get anyone into the bonus money. I'm currently in second place in I.1 over there and I didn't have anyone in the top 30 for goals, points or defensive points until last week. It's a bit weird and a bit frustrating

But fourth is good enough for this season. I'd like to get a better finish, but you and Coronas have it locked up. It'll be interesting to see what happens with your team after the changes. I'm only making one big change- Sember is out as #2 forward, Lemieux is in. I should look for an established SM or Dman, but I'll probably stick with what I've got and develop the replacements myself.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Emerald76

Quote:
How slow of a slow start did you have? I've drew one game all year and won the rest. Two nonames to end the season. No complaints here. Got all my strong teams out of the way early in the season. Clinched the title with 5 games left and have been running camps now to ensure a League Cup title and some bonus OTR next season.
That's just it, up to and including game 14 I had a record of won 12, lost 2.

All in all I took 111 points from a possible 123 from 41 games.
If I manage to win the last game this Sunday it will be the biggest 2nd placed tally ever from my league!!

Just gotta try harder next year!!

Old
11-02-2012, 01:43 PM
canucks357

Quote:
That's just it, up to and including game 14 I had a record of won 12, lost 2.

All in all I took 111 points from a possible 123 from 41 games.
If I manage to win the last game this Sunday it will be the biggest 2nd placed tally ever from my league!!

Just gotta try harder next year!!
Wow that's crazy! Is your I.1 league full of a lot of second tier teams? Inactives/Nonames/New teams etc?

Old
11-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Emerald76

Quote:
Wow that's crazy! Is your I.1 league full of a lot of second tier teams? Inactives/Nonames/New teams etc?
Have a look for yourself - basically there are only realistically 3 teams who can win the league, the rest like to put up a fight, when they want, but ultimately get nowhere near the 3 teams I speak of come the end of the season.

There are a couple of inactives at the moment also.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:11 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Have a look for yourself - basically there are only realistically 3 teams who can win the league, the rest like to put up a fight, when they want, but ultimately get nowhere near the 3 teams I speak of come the end of the season.

There are a couple of inactives at the moment also.
I normally do look, but rather than clicking on each team to see OTS I figured you could give a quick-and-dirty overview. If only we could modify the leagues... example:

North America (a la MLS)
England, Ireland in one UK league (a la EPL ish)

Canada has a good I.1 league but like with most countries now, it's generally a 3-4 horse race for the title.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Emerald76

Quote:
I normally do look, but rather than clicking on each team to see OTS I figured you could give a quick-and-dirty overview. If only we could modify the leagues... example:

North America (a la MLS)
England, Ireland in one UK league (a la EPL ish)

Canada has a good I.1 league but like with most countries now, it's generally a 3-4 horse race for the title.
Yeah, amalgamating a few leagues together wouldn't be a bad idea - but then you have the issue popping up about NT's.

That would be a huge setback in any proposal.
Although, you could sill have separate National teams regardless of what league a team is in I suppose.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Emerald76

Just put 10 players up for sale from my soccer team.

Gearoid Hanraghty - 912 OR National Team GoalKeeper
Hans George Muhlstein - 823 OR Left Central Defender
Neil Cumiskey - 779 OR Left Central Defender
Daniel Velcovsky - 775 OR Central Midfielder
Adam Karlsson - 752 OR Left Winger
Aaron Cummins -662 OR Universal Winger
Michael McCormac - 646 OR Universal Central Midfielder
& 3 other younger players.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:14 AM
suprvilce

I have a dilemma. There is still 11 games to finish the season, I'm currently in the playoffs with my team but it's far from locked. If I do make the playoffs, most teams are stronger than me and I don't expect to win any games, maybe for 7-8 place. There are about 5 more games against teams that are stronger than me but if i play with high or very high intensity and roll 3 lines i can win (3 of those at home). Is it better to try to win as many games and get more OTR and have less energy in playoffs where i don't expect to win any games or just try to conserve energy and just make the playoffs and go high intensity there? I really don't want to give anway any extra OTR i could get with some wins now, and in the end losing in the playoffs too.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:13 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Just put 10 players up for sale from my soccer team.

Gearoid Hanraghty - 912 OR National Team GoalKeeper
Hans George Muhlstein - 823 OR Left Central Defender
Neil Cumiskey - 779 OR Left Central Defender
Daniel Velcovsky - 775 OR Central Midfielder
Adam Karlsson - 752 OR Left Winger
Aaron Cummins -662 OR Universal Winger
Michael McCormac - 646 OR Universal Central Midfielder
& 3 other younger players.
I was going to bid but I only have 6M. And that's a lot lately!

Old
11-03-2012, 09:14 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
I have a dilemma. There is still 11 games to finish the season, I'm currently in the playoffs with my team but it's far from locked. If I do make the playoffs, most teams are stronger than me and I don't expect to win any games, maybe for 7-8 place. There are about 5 more games against teams that are stronger than me but if i play with high or very high intensity and roll 3 lines i can win (3 of those at home). Is it better to try to win as many games and get more OTR and have less energy in playoffs where i don't expect to win any games or just try to conserve energy and just make the playoffs and go high intensity there? I really don't want to give anway any extra OTR i could get with some wins now, and in the end losing in the playoffs too.
Play to win if for no other reason than sponsor prize money - you want to finish as high as possible for that reason. Finish 9th in the season and there is a chance you'll relegate even.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:17 AM
suprvilce

Quote:
Play to win if for no other reason than sponsor prize money - you want to finish as high as possible for that reason. Finish 9th in the season and there is a chance you'll relegate even.
Both General and Media sponsors use playoff finish for calculation, not regular season finish, am i correct?

Old
11-03-2012, 09:56 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Both General and Media sponsors use playoff finish for calculation, not regular season finish, am i correct?
Correct but if you make the playoffs your playoff position will be higher than if you don't. Make the playoffs and you'll get 1-8, miss and you'll get 9-16.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:03 AM
suprvilce

Quote:
Correct but if you make the playoffs your playoff position will be higher than if you don't. Make the playoffs and you'll get 1-8, miss and you'll get 9-16.
Yes but that wasn't really the thing i was talking about I was thinking between winning as many games as possible (many of them with high intensity) and be weakened in playoffs, or save some energy by losing a game or two and sill making the playoffs with more energy, but with less OTR and quite possibly not winning any round in playoffs.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Yes but that wasn't really the thing i was talking about I was thinking between winning as many games as possible (many of them with high intensity) and be weakened in playoffs, or save some energy by losing a game or two and sill making the playoffs with more energy, but with less OTR and quite possibly not winning any round in playoffs.
One of the sayings that was common to hear when I first joined the game was to use just enough energy to make the playoffs. That's not necessarily true in ever situation however.

I'm not as knowledgeable about your league as you are, but I would try to position myself in a favorable first round matchup and then try to win as many playoff games as you can. Even if you don't win a series, winning a playoff game is worth at least as much OTR as winning a regular season game. Factoring in the increased sponsorship offers and assuming you have a reasonable chance to win a couple of games in the playoffs, I would rather spend the energy in the playoffs then in the regular season. If you feel that you don't have a reasonable chance to win a couple of playoffs games, then perhaps you should spend the energy now and pick up some OTR. By reasonable chance, lets say around 25% to win each game.

------------------------------

I suppose its time for me to post about my soccer auctions as well:

Clint Metz CM, 21, 3/6, 940 OR, 71 AQ
Domink Wohlgemuth F, 19, 5/6, 814 OR, 74 AQ
Emory Chappell RD, 22, 4/6, 826 OR, 68 AQ
Michel Reedy CM, 16, 5/6, 699 OR, 78 AQ
Paul Werner G, 15, 6/6, 447 OR, 78 AQ
Edwin Bouchard CD, 15, 5/6, 464 OR, 71 AQ

Old
11-03-2012, 07:44 PM
tujague

Quote:

I suppose its time for me to post about my soccer auctions as well:

Clint Metz CM, 21, 3/6, 940 OR, 71 AQ
Domink Wohlgemuth F, 19, 5/6, 814 OR, 74 AQ
Emory Chappell RD, 22, 4/6, 826 OR, 68 AQ
Michel Reedy CM, 16, 5/6, 699 OR, 78 AQ
Paul Werner G, 15, 6/6, 447 OR, 78 AQ
Edwin Bouchard CD, 15, 5/6, 464 OR, 71 AQ
Hmmm. Metz and Chappell. I was hoping for more who's replacing them? I assume it's a couple of 100M ringers.

I'm still not sure what to do with my kids. I love having the prospects to develop, but I think it might be in my team's best interest to do what Obryantj has done. He's bought some good older players to fill the gaps. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell my youngsters to do that. Bit of a catch 22.

In hockey, I actually won a game today! Sure, it was just a friendly,but I haven't won a friendly since September!

Old
11-03-2012, 08:45 PM
canucks357

Quote:
In hockey, I actually won a game today! Sure, it was just a friendly,but I haven't won a friendly since September!
Why such the slump? I have it in my mind you have a good team. But I recall you were relegating to div3 so hmm. Buy my two LDs currently on sale! High experience for the playoffs!

Old
11-04-2012, 10:53 AM
tujague

Hooray for DST being over. It was annoying as hell.

Quote:
Why such the slump? I have it in my mind you have a good team. But I recall you were relegating to div3 so hmm. Buy my two LDs currently on sale! High experience for the playoffs!
you forgot about my rebuild already? Or was this just some weird way to advertise those dmen? Anyway. I also hit 50 OTS for the first time

Old
11-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Obryantj

Quote:
Hmmm. Metz and Chappell. I was hoping for more who's replacing them? I assume it's a couple of 100M ringers.

I'm still not sure what to do with my kids. I love having the prospects to develop, but I think it might be in my team's best interest to do what Obryantj has done. He's bought some good older players to fill the gaps. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell my youngsters to do that. Bit of a catch 22.
Metz and Chappell are at positions where I'm comfortable not adding a 100M ringer to replace them. My top 3 CM going into next season will be Taganovich, Piposiar and Tim Hammons. Side defender is a little trickier, Hrebec and Keen will start the season as the starters and as of now my top 2 players off the bench will be Stewart Beadle and Alexander Ruffin (who was recently added to the NT). Both have bright futures, but will need some serious training to get up to speed.

The funds I receive from selling those players would be available for purchasing players and if I could bring in a 100M+ ringer at a certain position or two, then I'll be putting more players on the market. Theoretically, I could go all NKDJ, but I'd like to max out my stadium and build HR-15 (or perhaps RF-15 or SA-15 instead) quickly.

I set-up my first training camp of the season today in soccer and I'll be stringing the second camp to this one. I'm toying with the idea of stringing another camp or two at the beginning of next season as well. I'm leaning towards one camp at the beginning of the season and one camp during the week between match 42 and the first league cup match. We'll see what my schedule looks like before I need to make a decision though.

Quote:
Congrats. It looks like you'll be headed to III.2, which is the league I started out in and apparently the Michaolvce Wild Hogs are back in that division as well. They were a rival of sorts for me in my first 2 season.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Hooray for DST being over. It was annoying as hell.

you forgot about my rebuild already? Or was this just some weird way to advertise those dmen? Anyway. I also hit 50 OTS for the first time
I knew you were rebuilding I just didn't think it was THAT big. saint2e does a rebuild all the time and he generally is always in the contention for the div2 title. Mind you, this time he really gone and done it so who knows if he'll make the playoffs :S

But by all means, bring in my Messiers for your youngsters. Afterall, that's who taught Naslund how to be awesome who taught the Sedins... Just think long term here

Old
11-04-2012, 08:41 PM
tujague

Quote:
I knew you were rebuilding I just didn't think it was THAT big. saint2e does a rebuild all the time and he generally is always in the contention for the div2 title. Mind you, this time he really gone and done it so who knows if he'll make the playoffs :S

But by all means, bring in my Messiers for your youngsters. Afterall, that's who taught Naslund how to be awesome who taught the Sedins... Just think long term here
You mean I haven't posted my team over here? There's no room for your mentors

Total cost is just over 200M.

Quote:
I set-up my first training camp of the season today in soccer and I'll be stringing the second camp to this one. I'm toying with the idea of stringing another camp or two at the beginning of next season as well. I'm leaning towards one camp at the beginning of the season and one camp during the week between match 42 and the first league cup match. We'll see what my schedule looks like before I need to make a decision though.
I was trying to do in soccer what I'm doing in hockey- use youth training SDs most of the season and get player training SDs for camps at the end of the season and first two weeks of the following season to run those two camps. Apparently this is a very popular strategy. I started looking a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't serious and assumed I could get a good deal before I needed them. Nope. I paid 6M for a damn SD today so I could start my camps. Needless to say I'll be running both camps early next season to get my money's worth.

And I'll be shopping for SDs much sooner next time.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
canucks357

Quote:

Total cost is just over 200M.
Dear DARWIN holy mother of Tesla! Your team is siiiiick! Rather, it will be godly in a few seasons

Closed Thread