HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Might depend on how many more TV rights they lose...and by that I mean the Dodgers....
Oh God, I hope they don't choose the TWC route. Did the _ucks renew their contract?

Old
10-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
The Winter Classic is only important to the two teams playing in it.

The rest of the owners don't care about it.
Disagree. Big cash cow for the league, plus the 24/7 coverage is huge in the PR department. It's the leagues prize piece during the regular season.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:25 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
Disagree. Big cash cow for the league, plus the 24/7 coverage is huge in the PR department. It's the leagues prize piece during the regular season.
There are no casual fans in the NHL (at least not enough to matter).

You are selling out a Stadium that has nothing but Maple Leaf fans ,and Red Wing fans.

Two franchises that are not going to lose one single fan that matters (season ticket holder) there is a waiting list for both of those franchises.

These are not fringe franchises, the other owners can care less if there is no Winter classic.

The NHL will reschedule the Big house next year, no harm done, no hard feelings.

The NHL knows who their fan base is.......WE will all be back once Hockey starts again(even if it takes two years).

(Personal opinion) the whole record revenue thing has a lot more to do with inflation than anything. It costs more to see a Hockey game today, than 10 years ago, hell five years ago.

The NHL really didn't gain a bunch of casual fans......If it did, there wouldn't be a lockout.

Ive told this story before; but it just reminds me how insignificant hockey is in America.

My sister has lived in LA for 15 years now.....She went to her first Kings game this year with me.

She had no idea LA had a hockey team....But she can tell you who the Green Bay Packers are; and how long Brett Farve played for them.

She even knew who the Jacksonville Jaguars are, and their starting QB........That is just wow.....

Last edited by damacles1156: 11-01-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old
11-01-2012, 02:45 AM
damacles1156

Think about this guys .....

The NFL gives EACH TEAM 118 million for the TV check.......

That's EACH TEAM(PER YEAR).

The NHL gets 200 million per season TOTAL from NBC...That's 6.6mill per team......Pathetic.

You think the NHL owners care about the stupid Winter Classic..?

They care about the 1.8 billion the players are getting(yearly)...

Old
11-01-2012, 09:51 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I disagree. There is not a top 2....or a potential top 2 there. They have a couple guys that MIGHT be good 3's but definitely don't stack up with good 3's in the league

Smid is very average. Schultz is Matt Greene (3rd Dman on a bad team or 5th dman on a good team.) Whitney should be better and needs to stay healthy.

And don't go quoting any Schultz statistics from the Capitals. That was luck. Great in the locker room...but still Matt Greene. Great warrior and necessary for a champion, but not a top 4 dman.
Please be informed on who exactly you are talking about before trying to make an arguement...

Nick Schultz is a solid 3-4 d-man option and has been that at the NHL level for about 5 years now with the Minnesota Wild before being traded to the Oil last year...

J. Schultz is not Jeff Schultz who is still on the Caps, but in fact Justin Schultz, the standout d-man out of Wisconsin signed by the Oilers earlier this summer after refusing to sign with Anaheim. Considered by some to be the best defensive prospect not in the NHL. So he is very much a possible top pairing option if he pans out...

I agree with Whitney but I dont see him being depended on much. Basically the Oilers have a bunch of unknowns on D right now.

Last edited by tigermask48: 11-01-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Dustin Brown is officially leaving for Zurich (Swiss league) next Wednesday to play for Marc Crawford. Team expected to announce later today.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:39 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Dustin Brown is officially leaving for Zurich (Swiss league) next Wednesday to play for Marc Crawford. Team expected to announce later today.
Let's hope he doesn't forget everything he learned the past 3 seasons.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:54 PM
johnjm22

Brown played some of the best hockey of his career under Crawford.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
(Personal opinion) the whole record revenue thing has a lot more to do with inflation than anything. It costs more to see a Hockey game today, than 10 years ago, hell five years ago.
This I agree with. There has been some actual growth, but most of the revenue increases have been because of inflation.

I think you're short changing the Winter Classic though. It's arguably become the NHL's signature event; it's bigger than the SC finals in many ways and generates a significant amount of revenue on its own. It's important to the league. It's not like all the money is going just to the two teams playing in the event.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Brown played some of the best hockey of his career under Crawford.
He scored some points. I wouldn't call it the best hockey of his career. He ran around a lot.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Hopefully it's worth it for him. Hopefully it's worth it for all the players.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:36 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He scored some points. I wouldn't call it the best hockey of his career. He ran around a lot.
I wouldn't call it "the best" either, but I would call it "some of the best." It was under Crawford that Brown established himself as top 6 forward and I don't think it's entirely a coincidence.

For all his shortcomings as a coach (and there are many), I think Crawford does a good job of developing individual forwards. He'd make a good assistant coach IMO.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:46 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Please be informed on who exactly you are talking about before trying to make an arguement...

Nick Schultz is a solid 3-4 d-man option and has been that at the NHL level for about 5 years now with the Minnesota Wild before being traded to the Oil last year...

J. Schultz is not Jeff Schultz who is still on the Caps, but in fact Justin Schultz, the standout d-man out of Wisconsin signed by the Oilers earlier this summer after refusing to sign with Anaheim. Considered by some to be the best defensive prospect not in the NHL. So he is very much a possible top pairing option if he pans out...

I agree with Whitney but I dont see him being depended on much. Basically the Oilers have a bunch of unknowns on D right now.
Wow, I was out to lunch there....lol. Yes, Justin Schultz does have that top 2 potential.

Nick Schultz is a solid 3-4dman option on an average team...but would be better as a 5 on a great defense similar to Matt Greene.

I thought of Jeff Schultz because I forgot about the Justin ordeal with Anaheim.

Beer did contribute in my defense.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:43 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Wow, I was out to lunch there....lol. Yes, Justin Schultz does have that top 2 potential.

Nick Schultz is a solid 3-4dman option on an average team...but would be better as a 5 on a great defense similar to Matt Greene.

I thought of Jeff Schultz because I forgot about the Justin ordeal with Anaheim.

Beer did contribute in my defense.
No harm done, and a perfectly reasonable excuse.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:25 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I wouldn't call it "the best" either, but I would call it "some of the best." It was under Crawford that Brown established himself as top 6 forward and I don't think it's entirely a coincidence.

For all his shortcomings as a coach (and there are many), I think Crawford does a good job of developing individual forwards. He'd make a good assistant coach IMO.
Fair enough. Crawford does give individual forwards the opportunity to gain confidence in the offensive zone.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:16 AM
johnjm22

Don Cherry on the lock out: http://www.cbc.ca/video/player.html?...ca&zone=hockey

Says Bettman isn't to blame, doesn't think they'll be a season at all.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Winter Classic has been cancelled. I'm on mobile, so I'm too lazy to post a link. Check the main boards.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
That is that last straw in my opinion. The season will be a wash. Dustin Brown going overseas is another indicator, he was staying in case they could get a deal done this year, with the Classic going down, there seems to be no hope in that regard. Fehr is going to ensure he gets his paycheck. Unfortunately the players won't. They have zero leverage really. I can't believe this has gone this far, even though it is obvious.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
11-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
That is that last straw in my opinion. The season will be a wash. Dustin Brown going overseas is another indicator, he was staying in case they could get a deal done this year, with the Classic going down, there seems to be no hope in that regard. Fehr is going to ensure he gets his paycheck. Unfortunately the players won't. They have zero leverage really. I can't believe this has gone this far, even though it is obvious.
The fact that they are delaying the game exactly one year is very telling.

Seems that the whole NHL life will be delayed one year. Perhaps we will get to see the banner raised in October 2013.

Perhaps not.

11-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
**** these idiots.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:40 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The players just received their escrow payments on Wednesday, nearly 8% of last years salary so Brad Richards was owed $960,000. The players have missed 2 checks so this escrow payment should pretty much wipe out any concerns for most of the players for a little longer. The losers in all of this are the fans, the arena workers and the depth players who never made a lot of money and aren't good enough to take somebody's job on some hockey team throughout the world. This is to be expected if you're a long time King fan, we had to wait 45 years to win a championship and now we have to wait to hang up the banner. Typical.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I never thought, of all the leagues in the world, NFL, NBA, European Association football, MLB...I never thought i'd be saying that hockey players have demonstrated that they truly are one of, if not the most greedy of the bunch.

7% guys. SEVEN. PERCENT.

A guy making 2 mil a season, would instead make 1.86 mil.

That 140k is worth all of this I guess.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
As to the Canadian comment. Look, the broadcasters are better in Canada, the coverage is better in Canada, the game is a bigger deal in Canada, and most of the players in the NHL are Canadian. Now obviously there are going to be knowledgeable people in every country who understand the game. US, Europe, etc.. But I do not think it is wrong to say that Canadians, as a WHOLE, understand the game more than any other country. Sorry if that offends you (it shouldn't), but its the truth. Deal with it.
This is such crap.

Canadian announcers are no better than whomever is announcing on NBCSN, NBC or FSN. In fact, in many ways Canadian annnouncers worse, much worse. e.g. last years playoffs (gm 2?) Kings vs Vanc - on a goal by Doughty, the announcer went on and on about some "great save" by a defenseman, how he "got there, threw up his glove to make a great save when Luongo was out of position"... "Oh, did the puck go in? I guess that was a Kings goal... did you see that?" He literally had NO idea what he just witnessed, and he couldn't tell immediately from the body language of every skater on the ice that the Kings had in fact, scored a goal Whoever those guys are on CBC, they're such homers for Canada, it should be embarassing, but it's not.

And Canadian fans are no better hockey educated than any other NHL fan. I see it every game when a Canadian team gets called for an obvious penalty, and the fans boooo the ref - like it's some oppression and the ref is just out to get them. There's NEVER been any letigimate penalty against their team!!

Canadians, as a WHOLE, understand the game exactly the same as any other fan from any other country. Sorry if that offends you (it shouldn't), but its the truth. Deal with it.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
I never thought, of all the leagues in the world, NFL, NBA, European Association football, MLB...I never thought i'd be saying that hockey players have demonstrated that they truly are one of, if not the most greedy of the bunch.

7% guys. SEVEN. PERCENT.

A guy making 2 mil a season, would instead make 1.86 mil.

That 140k is worth all of this I guess.
whats even more absurd, is that they are willing to lose the whole 2mill for this season, just so they don't lose 140k next year.

Good math guys

Old
11-02-2012, 03:28 PM
bobafettish*

so what can they cancel next the ASG? just cancel the season alread

Closed Thread