HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
disagree. one of the top 4 going out wouldnt be WOW but WTH

getting someone like Yandle \ Luongo or a guy like Streit has plenty WOW.
Yandle would cost one of the 4. Who knows about the others 2 but one of the 4 would be way too much to give up for Luongo or Streit

Old
11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
J.Schultz
L.Smid
A.Hemsky
J.Petry
M.Paajarvi
R.Smyth
S.Horcoff (overpaid but far from junk)
S.Gagner
R.Whitney
O.Klefbom

There is more to team then the "top 4"
Other then Schultz and Klefbom, not much of interest there. Why in the world would you add Smyth to this list anyways? He has close to zero value

Old
11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Coyotes won't want D coming back,.the reason Yandle might be available is because they have a **** load of high end date coming down the pipeline.
And if he was available the Coyotes would get the best deal they could for him. There are other teams than Edmonton that would be bidding for his services. I don't see a deal happening without one of the big 4 being involved. If not, then I think the Oilers should lower their expectations of the type of defenceman they will get.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't see how that deal makes Phoenix better. They give up one of the best defencemen in the league and get back Paajarvi who has struggled and Petry who is nowhere close to the same talent level. If I'm Phoenix I ask for one of the big 4 or Edmonton needs to add the first pick plus.
PHO had Yandle on the trading block at the draft. Yandle is very good but is not one of the best Dman in the league. No way he fetches them someone like Taylor Hall or RNH.

People here like to lump the "big 4" together but do you seriously think BOS\COL would consider trading Seguin or Landeskog for Yandle?? These kids are the faces of the franchise going forward.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:56 PM
vanwest

Quote:
PHO had Yandle on the trading block at the draft. Yandle is very good but is not one of the best Dman in the league. No way he fetches them someone like Taylor Hall or RNH.

People here like to lump the "big 4" together but do you seriously think BOS\COL would consider trading Seguin or Landeskog for Yandle?? These kids are the faces of the franchise going forward.
We disagree on the value of Yandle and quite frankly I think you are only looking at any deal from the Oiler's point of view. The Coyotes want to improve their team not make it worse. Trading one of the best defencemen in the league for a bunch of so-so assets makes them worse. I'm not advocating the Oilers trading one of the big 4 for Yandle. I'm just saying that this is about the only deal I can see interesting Phoenix. Petry and Paajarvi won't even get you a phonecall with the Coyotes.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

Boston has something that The Oilers do not. A #1 d-man and a good overall defense.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Other then Schultz and Klefbom, not much of interest there. Why in the world would you add Smyth to this list anyways? He has close to zero value
The list was not about trade value but players that are not considered 'junk' around the league. Horcoff is overpaid, Smyth old and Hemsky injury prone but neither one is 'junk' when on ice.

Quote:
And if he was available the Coyotes would get the best deal they could for him. There are other teams than Edmonton that would be bidding for his services. I don't see a deal happening without one of the big 4 being involved. If not, then I think the Oilers should lower their expectations of the type of defenceman they will get.
He was reportedly available and Gagner+Paajarvi was reportedly the deal to beat. Saying you cant a deal happening worth a "wow" without one of the top 4 is like any VAN deal happening without one of the twins going the other way.

There is no reason to trade one of the big4 just like there is no reason in VAN to trade a Sedin.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
vanwest

Quote:
The list was not about trade value but players that are not considered 'junk' around the league. Horcoff is overpaid, Smyth old and Hemsky injury prone but neither one is 'junk' when on ice.

He was reportedly available and Gagner+Paajarvi was reportedly the deal to beat. Saying you cant a deal happening worth a "wow" without one of the top 4 is like any VAN deal happening without one of the twins going the other way.

There is no reason to trade one of the big4 just like there is no reason in VAN to trade a Sedin.
Sorry. But I'm not buying the Gagner + Paajarvi rumour that you're raising. If he's available it will take much more than that. And nowhere did I advocate trading one of the big 4 or a Sedin for him. If you have another elite prospect plus a couple of assets that could get it done. I just don't see what the Oilers could offer without the big 4 that couldn't easily be beaten by another team.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
We disagree on the value of Yandle and quite frankly I think you are only looking at any deal from the Oiler's point of view. The Coyotes want to improve their team not make it worse. Trading one of the best defencemen in the league for a bunch of so-so assets makes them worse. I'm not advocating the Oilers trading one of the big 4 for Yandle. I'm just saying that this is about the only deal I can see interesting Phoenix. Petry and Paajarvi won't even get you a phonecall with the Coyotes.
Yotes want to stay at the bottom of the cap world and ice a competitive team. This thread is about a WOW factor deal hinted on an EDM radio station and not about POV of others. To me a deal that would make you go WOW and get EDM closer to becoming a 'championship' team would mean you are getting a very good bang for your buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Boston has something that The Oilers do not. A #1 d-man and a good overall defense.
so what? They also have 2 very good Cs in Bergeron and Krejci .. The point is that you cant lump the big 4 together .. each one is a franchise player (maybe not Eberle)..

Old
11-02-2012, 04:10 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Yotes want to stay at the bottom of the cap world and ice a competitive team. This thread is about a WOW factor deal hinted on an EDM radio station and not about POV of others. To me a deal that would make you go WOW and get EDM closer to becoming a 'championship' team would mean you are getting a very good bang for your buck.

so what? They also have 2 very good Cs in Bergeron and Krejci .. The point is that you cant lump the big 4 together .. each one is a franchise player (maybe not Eberle)..
So basically a deal when you screw the other team.
I haven't seen Maloney in Phoenix be on the other end of many of those deals. You're also assuming that Maloney can only deal with Edmonton. At least a dozen teams would be bidding for a top defenceman like Yandle. You're dreaming if you think that Tambellini is going to take Maloney to the cleaners in a Paajarvi/Gagner trade. Again, you're only looking at this from Edmonton's point of view. Maloney's job is to ice the best team he can. If he had to trade Yandle he would be looking at getting the best return and not just doing the Oilers a favour. That's not how trades work.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Sorry. But I'm not buying the Gagner + Paajarvi rumour that you're raising. If he's available it will take much more than that. And nowhere did I advocate trading one of the big 4 or a Sedin for him. If you have another elite prospect plus a couple of assets that could get it done. I just don't see what the Oilers could offer without the big 4 that couldn't easily be beaten by another team.
I believe a deal around PRV and Gagner was offered and turned down by Phoenix. I would not trade 1 of the big 4 for Yandle. Time to move on and look at other options. I like the idea of Streit, would make some sense with Krueger as coach.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Quick google search...
"It comes from B.D. Gallof, who writes about the New York Islanders for CBS Sports and attended the draft in Pittsburgh.
On Sunday morning, Gallof tweeted: “Per #nhl source, #oilers offered Gagner & Paajarvi for Yandle of#yotes during #nhldraft … was evidently talked about by teams on draft floor at offer they’d have to beat if they wanted him.”"

Quote:
So basically a deal when you screw the other team.
I haven't seen Maloney in Phoenix be on the other end of many of those deals. You're also assuming that Maloney can only deal with Edmonton. At least a dozen teams would be bidding for a top defenceman like Yandle. You're dreaming if you think that Tambellini is going to take Maloney to the cleaners in a Paajarvi/Gagner trade. Good luck!
sure ... if you want to call it screwing the other team then so be it. I call it bang for your buck.. I dont care about Yandle and only used him as an example... To me getting someone like Luongo\Streit\Marleau\Boumeester for non-elite players would fit the WOW factor... kinda like the Brewer+Lynch+Woywitka for Pronger.

I guess we will just wait and see if something actually goes down.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:26 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Quick google search...
"It comes from B.D. Gallof, who writes about the New York Islanders for CBS Sports and attended the draft in Pittsburgh.
On Sunday morning, Gallof tweeted: “Per #nhl source, #oilers offered Gagner & Paajarvi for Yandle of#yotes during #nhldraft … was evidently talked about by teams on draft floor at offer they’d have to beat if they wanted him.”"

sure ... if you want to call it screwing the other team then so be it. I call it bang for your buck.. I dont care about Yandle and only used him as an example... To me getting someone like Luongo\Streit\Marleau\Boumeester for non-elite players would fit the WOW factor... kinda like the Brewer+Lynch+Woywitka for Pronger.

I guess we will just wait and see if something actually goes down.
Bang for the buck indeed! It sounds like you offered Paajarvi and Gagner and Maloney turned you down as he should. I think some of the other players you mentioned would be available and obviously would not cost you the big 4. I was only speaking about Yandle who would garner a very hefty return.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Bruin4Life

A deal around Malcolm Subban and MPS?

Old
11-02-2012, 04:53 PM
NYVanfan

Luongo & Alberts or Ballard
for
Hemsky & Gagner

Old
11-02-2012, 04:59 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I believe a deal around PRV and Gagner was offered and turned down by Phoenix. I would not trade 1 of the big 4 for Yandle. Time to move on and look at other options. I like the idea of Streit, would make some sense with Krueger as coach.
I think it's highly unlikely that Streit will be available any time soon. While he is a pending UFA, he'll be wearing an Isles jersey for several seasons beyond this year. While the Isles are Tavares' team, Streit does wear the C in a tight knit locker room (he is currently babysitting Johnny over in Bern). Whenever the lockout ends, he is priority #1 as he is a very important member of the team. I could see him getting a 3-4 year deal as there are less tread on those tires for someone of his age when you consider the late transition to defense. I would think he'd want to be there on opening night at the Barclay's Center in 2015 too.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

According to Oilers' fans goaltending is not a concern.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:07 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
No, it just isn't a big enough concern to even entertain dealing one of the big 4.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Hemsky and picks for...

Benn and ...Benn....

Old
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's definitely a concern.

Bringing in a young goalie like Enroth or Bernier to push Dubnyk would be ideal. Committing $5.3 million of cap space to a 33 year old goaltender whose contract makes him immovable until he is 38 is far less than ideal.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Punch Imlach Reborn

Quote:
i think if the oilers shore up in other areas, the oilers could go another year to evaluate Dubnyk's progress and who might be in the market...my sense is they don't need a young goalie to graduate along with their core assets this year...as I don't think they win the stanley cup if there is a season, but if the shore up other areas, a quarterback on the powerplay, a veteran large center a la Bryan Trottier with the Penguins in the 1990s, Butch Goring with the Islanders in the 1980s or then, they can take their time to find the right guy...I don't believe Luongo is the fit... I don't think there is enough knowledge about Bernier presently to e comfortable with that acquisition if it were possible...Carey Price would be too expensive...but maybe Halak might be available with the new Blues owner a little down the road...

Old
11-02-2012, 05:32 PM
ponder

As suggested in the article, I'm pretty confident they won't consider dealing any of RNH, Hall, Yakupov or Eberle (nor should they). It also seems highly unlikely that they'd trade Justin Schultz, since they just signed him, and since he's their most talented dman (in my opinion). As for trading future 1st round picks, that seems to go against their "build through the draft" philosophy.

Once you take the big 4, Schultz and future 1sts off the table, there's not a whole lot left. Some decent players and prospects, but nobody that another team would really covet. Certainly they could make some trades, but I can't see them being true "wow factor" trades, more like a supporting player here and there for a supporting player in return. Probably trades more along the lines of the Marc Methot or Antoine Vermette deals than the Mike Richards or Rick Nash deals.

Last edited by ponder: 11-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
XX
... Waiting

Yandle for Gagner and MPS is laughable. I can see why Maloney turned that down. Keep in mind that there's no external pressure to get rid of Yandle. He's thought of as the next captain, has a great contract and loves Phoenix. He's also one of the more valuable Dmen out there. If the Coyotes are going to trade him, it's for a player that makes them flat-out better on offense. Quality for quality.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Most Oiler fans realise the team has several significant holes to fill going forward. Many also realise that there is no need to try and fill all of them right now by trading away those assets that in the future might make the team a contender. Trading any of RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov or Schultz right now would be a mistake unless the return was a no-brainer and such a trade is highly unlikely.

Last edited by Fourier: 11-02-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Laterade

RNH Eberle Yakupov Shultz and Hall for Scott Glennie.

It's a no-brainer.

Closed Thread