HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
  #276
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
disagree. one of the top 4 going out wouldnt be WOW but WTH

getting someone like Yandle \ Luongo or a guy like Streit has plenty WOW.
Yandle would cost one of the 4. Who knows about the others 2 but one of the 4 would be way too much to give up for Luongo or Streit

IceDaddy is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
  #277
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
J.Schultz
L.Smid
A.Hemsky
J.Petry
M.Paajarvi
R.Smyth
S.Horcoff (overpaid but far from junk)
S.Gagner
R.Whitney
O.Klefbom

There is more to team then the "top 4"
Other then Schultz and Klefbom, not much of interest there. Why in the world would you add Smyth to this list anyways? He has close to zero value

ScoreZeGoals is online now  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
  #278
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Coyotes won't want D coming back,.the reason Yandle might be available is because they have a **** load of high end date coming down the pipeline.
And if he was available the Coyotes would get the best deal they could for him. There are other teams than Edmonton that would be bidding for his services. I don't see a deal happening without one of the big 4 being involved. If not, then I think the Oilers should lower their expectations of the type of defenceman they will get.

vanwest is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
  #279
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't see how that deal makes Phoenix better. They give up one of the best defencemen in the league and get back Paajarvi who has struggled and Petry who is nowhere close to the same talent level. If I'm Phoenix I ask for one of the big 4 or Edmonton needs to add the first pick plus.
PHO had Yandle on the trading block at the draft. Yandle is very good but is not one of the best Dman in the league. No way he fetches them someone like Taylor Hall or RNH.

People here like to lump the "big 4" together but do you seriously think BOS\COL would consider trading Seguin or Landeskog for Yandle?? These kids are the faces of the franchise going forward.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:56 PM
  #280
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
PHO had Yandle on the trading block at the draft. Yandle is very good but is not one of the best Dman in the league. No way he fetches them someone like Taylor Hall or RNH.

People here like to lump the "big 4" together but do you seriously think BOS\COL would consider trading Seguin or Landeskog for Yandle?? These kids are the faces of the franchise going forward.
We disagree on the value of Yandle and quite frankly I think you are only looking at any deal from the Oiler's point of view. The Coyotes want to improve their team not make it worse. Trading one of the best defencemen in the league for a bunch of so-so assets makes them worse. I'm not advocating the Oilers trading one of the big 4 for Yandle. I'm just saying that this is about the only deal I can see interesting Phoenix. Petry and Paajarvi won't even get you a phonecall with the Coyotes.

vanwest is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
  #281
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
PHO had Yandle on the trading block at the draft. Yandle is very good but is not one of the best Dman in the league. No way he fetches them someone like Taylor Hall or RNH.

People here like to lump the "big 4" together but do you seriously think BOS\COL would consider trading Seguin or Landeskog for Yandle?? These kids are the faces of the franchise going forward.

Boston has something that The Oilers do not. A #1 d-man and a good overall defense.

IceDaddy is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
  #282
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Other then Schultz and Klefbom, not much of interest there. Why in the world would you add Smyth to this list anyways? He has close to zero value
The list was not about trade value but players that are not considered 'junk' around the league. Horcoff is overpaid, Smyth old and Hemsky injury prone but neither one is 'junk' when on ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
And if he was available the Coyotes would get the best deal they could for him. There are other teams than Edmonton that would be bidding for his services. I don't see a deal happening without one of the big 4 being involved. If not, then I think the Oilers should lower their expectations of the type of defenceman they will get.
He was reportedly available and Gagner+Paajarvi was reportedly the deal to beat. Saying you cant a deal happening worth a "wow" without one of the top 4 is like any VAN deal happening without one of the twins going the other way.

There is no reason to trade one of the big4 just like there is no reason in VAN to trade a Sedin.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
  #283
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The list was not about trade value but players that are not considered 'junk' around the league. Horcoff is overpaid, Smyth old and Hemsky injury prone but neither one is 'junk' when on ice.



He was reportedly available and Gagner+Paajarvi was reportedly the deal to beat. Saying you cant a deal happening worth a "wow" without one of the top 4 is like any VAN deal happening without one of the twins going the other way.

There is no reason to trade one of the big4 just like there is no reason in VAN to trade a Sedin.
Sorry. But I'm not buying the Gagner + Paajarvi rumour that you're raising. If he's available it will take much more than that. And nowhere did I advocate trading one of the big 4 or a Sedin for him. If you have another elite prospect plus a couple of assets that could get it done. I just don't see what the Oilers could offer without the big 4 that couldn't easily be beaten by another team.

vanwest is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:05 PM
  #284
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
We disagree on the value of Yandle and quite frankly I think you are only looking at any deal from the Oiler's point of view. The Coyotes want to improve their team not make it worse. Trading one of the best defencemen in the league for a bunch of so-so assets makes them worse. I'm not advocating the Oilers trading one of the big 4 for Yandle. I'm just saying that this is about the only deal I can see interesting Phoenix. Petry and Paajarvi won't even get you a phonecall with the Coyotes.
Yotes want to stay at the bottom of the cap world and ice a competitive team. This thread is about a WOW factor deal hinted on an EDM radio station and not about POV of others. To me a deal that would make you go WOW and get EDM closer to becoming a 'championship' team would mean you are getting a very good bang for your buck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Boston has something that The Oilers do not. A #1 d-man and a good overall defense.
so what? They also have 2 very good Cs in Bergeron and Krejci .. The point is that you cant lump the big 4 together .. each one is a franchise player (maybe not Eberle)..

Petro Points is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:10 PM
  #285
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Yotes want to stay at the bottom of the cap world and ice a competitive team. This thread is about a WOW factor deal hinted on an EDM radio station and not about POV of others. To me a deal that would make you go WOW and get EDM closer to becoming a 'championship' team would mean you are getting a very good bang for your buck.


so what? They also have 2 very good Cs in Bergeron and Krejci .. The point is that you cant lump the big 4 together .. each one is a franchise player (maybe not Eberle)..
So basically a deal when you screw the other team.
I haven't seen Maloney in Phoenix be on the other end of many of those deals. You're also assuming that Maloney can only deal with Edmonton. At least a dozen teams would be bidding for a top defenceman like Yandle. You're dreaming if you think that Tambellini is going to take Maloney to the cleaners in a Paajarvi/Gagner trade. Again, you're only looking at this from Edmonton's point of view. Maloney's job is to ice the best team he can. If he had to trade Yandle he would be looking at getting the best return and not just doing the Oilers a favour. That's not how trades work.

vanwest is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
  #286
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sorry. But I'm not buying the Gagner + Paajarvi rumour that you're raising. If he's available it will take much more than that. And nowhere did I advocate trading one of the big 4 or a Sedin for him. If you have another elite prospect plus a couple of assets that could get it done. I just don't see what the Oilers could offer without the big 4 that couldn't easily be beaten by another team.
I believe a deal around PRV and Gagner was offered and turned down by Phoenix. I would not trade 1 of the big 4 for Yandle. Time to move on and look at other options. I like the idea of Streit, would make some sense with Krueger as coach.

gooilgo is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:16 PM
  #287
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sorry. But I'm not buying the Gagner + Paajarvi rumour that you're raising. If he's available it will take much more than that. And nowhere did I advocate trading one of the big 4 or a Sedin for him. If you have another elite prospect plus a couple of assets that could get it done. I just don't see what the Oilers could offer without the big 4 that couldn't easily be beaten by another team.
Quick google search...
"It comes from B.D. Gallof, who writes about the New York Islanders for CBS Sports and attended the draft in Pittsburgh.
On Sunday morning, Gallof tweeted: “Per #nhl source, #oilers offered Gagner & Paajarvi for Yandle of#yotes during #nhldraft … was evidently talked about by teams on draft floor at offer they’d have to beat if they wanted him.”"


Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
So basically a deal when you screw the other team.
I haven't seen Maloney in Phoenix be on the other end of many of those deals. You're also assuming that Maloney can only deal with Edmonton. At least a dozen teams would be bidding for a top defenceman like Yandle. You're dreaming if you think that Tambellini is going to take Maloney to the cleaners in a Paajarvi/Gagner trade. Good luck!
sure ... if you want to call it screwing the other team then so be it. I call it bang for your buck.. I dont care about Yandle and only used him as an example... To me getting someone like Luongo\Streit\Marleau\Boumeester for non-elite players would fit the WOW factor... kinda like the Brewer+Lynch+Woywitka for Pronger.

I guess we will just wait and see if something actually goes down.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:26 PM
  #288
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Quick google search...
"It comes from B.D. Gallof, who writes about the New York Islanders for CBS Sports and attended the draft in Pittsburgh.
On Sunday morning, Gallof tweeted: “Per #nhl source, #oilers offered Gagner & Paajarvi for Yandle of#yotes during #nhldraft … was evidently talked about by teams on draft floor at offer they’d have to beat if they wanted him.”"




sure ... if you want to call it screwing the other team then so be it. I call it bang for your buck.. I dont care about Yandle and only used him as an example... To me getting someone like Luongo\Streit\Marleau\Boumeester for non-elite players would fit the WOW factor... kinda like the Brewer+Lynch+Woywitka for Pronger.

I guess we will just wait and see if something actually goes down.
Bang for the buck indeed! It sounds like you offered Paajarvi and Gagner and Maloney turned you down as he should. I think some of the other players you mentioned would be available and obviously would not cost you the big 4. I was only speaking about Yandle who would garner a very hefty return.

vanwest is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
  #289
Bruin4Life
Registered User
 
Bruin4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 552
vCash: 500
A deal around Malcolm Subban and MPS?

Bruin4Life is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:53 PM
  #290
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,001
vCash: 500
Luongo & Alberts or Ballard
for
Hemsky & Gagner

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:59 PM
  #291
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I believe a deal around PRV and Gagner was offered and turned down by Phoenix. I would not trade 1 of the big 4 for Yandle. Time to move on and look at other options. I like the idea of Streit, would make some sense with Krueger as coach.
I think it's highly unlikely that Streit will be available any time soon. While he is a pending UFA, he'll be wearing an Isles jersey for several seasons beyond this year. While the Isles are Tavares' team, Streit does wear the C in a tight knit locker room (he is currently babysitting Johnny over in Bern). Whenever the lockout ends, he is priority #1 as he is a very important member of the team. I could see him getting a 3-4 year deal as there are less tread on those tires for someone of his age when you consider the late transition to defense. I would think he'd want to be there on opening night at the Barclay's Center in 2015 too.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:03 PM
  #292
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,689
vCash: 500
According to Oilers' fans goaltending is not a concern.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:07 PM
  #293
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
According to Oilers' fans goaltending is not a concern.
No, it just isn't a big enough concern to even entertain dealing one of the big 4.

s7ark is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
  #294
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 157
Hemsky and picks for...

Benn and ...Benn....


BoldNewLettuce is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
  #295
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,606
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
According to Oilers' fans goaltending is not a concern.
It's definitely a concern.

Bringing in a young goalie like Enroth or Bernier to push Dubnyk would be ideal. Committing $5.3 million of cap space to a 33 year old goaltender whose contract makes him immovable until he is 38 is far less than ideal.

worraps is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:20 PM
  #296
Punch Imlach Reborn
Registered User
 
Punch Imlach Reborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
According to Oilers' fans goaltending is not a concern.
i think if the oilers shore up in other areas, the oilers could go another year to evaluate Dubnyk's progress and who might be in the market...my sense is they don't need a young goalie to graduate along with their core assets this year...as I don't think they win the stanley cup if there is a season, but if the shore up other areas, a quarterback on the powerplay, a veteran large center a la Bryan Trottier with the Penguins in the 1990s, Butch Goring with the Islanders in the 1980s or then, they can take their time to find the right guy...I don't believe Luongo is the fit... I don't think there is enough knowledge about Bernier presently to e comfortable with that acquisition if it were possible...Carey Price would be too expensive...but maybe Halak might be available with the new Blues owner a little down the road...

Punch Imlach Reborn is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:32 PM
  #297
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,517
vCash: 500
As suggested in the article, I'm pretty confident they won't consider dealing any of RNH, Hall, Yakupov or Eberle (nor should they). It also seems highly unlikely that they'd trade Justin Schultz, since they just signed him, and since he's their most talented dman (in my opinion). As for trading future 1st round picks, that seems to go against their "build through the draft" philosophy.

Once you take the big 4, Schultz and future 1sts off the table, there's not a whole lot left. Some decent players and prospects, but nobody that another team would really covet. Certainly they could make some trades, but I can't see them being true "wow factor" trades, more like a supporting player here and there for a supporting player in return. Probably trades more along the lines of the Marc Methot or Antoine Vermette deals than the Mike Richards or Rick Nash deals.


Last edited by ponder: 11-02-2012 at 05:40 PM.
ponder is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
  #298
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,162
vCash: 500
Yandle for Gagner and MPS is laughable. I can see why Maloney turned that down. Keep in mind that there's no external pressure to get rid of Yandle. He's thought of as the next captain, has a great contract and loves Phoenix. He's also one of the more valuable Dmen out there. If the Coyotes are going to trade him, it's for a player that makes them flat-out better on offense. Quality for quality.

XX is online now  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
  #299
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
According to Oilers' fans goaltending is not a concern.
Most Oiler fans realise the team has several significant holes to fill going forward. Many also realise that there is no need to try and fill all of them right now by trading away those assets that in the future might make the team a contender. Trading any of RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov or Schultz right now would be a mistake unless the return was a no-brainer and such a trade is highly unlikely.


Last edited by Fourier: 11-02-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Fourier is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
  #300
Laterade
Registered User
 
Laterade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
RNH Eberle Yakupov Shultz and Hall for Scott Glennie.

It's a no-brainer.






Laterade is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.