HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 12:36 PM
eskies4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You're not getting what I'm putting down. Myself after repeated knee injuries and recurring hyperextensions playing competitive sports I could be considered equally tough. I always got back up if I could, always tried.

I never considered myself tough in that regard however. What I felt was I was always one bad move/hit/incident removed from injury. I certainly wasn't football or hockey tough. I had to give up those sports entirely.

If somebody called me tough for that I would think they're being sarcastic. I could barely get through a tennis match at the time..

I get where you are coming from... Im sure you were "tough" as nails in this sense..I still consider Buck Pierce tough and I consider players that play every game of every season tough..

Old
11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Come on Jimmi...there is a major difference between a team that has no effect on their own destiny (Toronto) and a team that can still effect their own destiny (Regina).

The 2 situations are not comparable.
Toronto, with a lose, was playing Hamilton, they haven't beat Edmonton all year and Saskatchewan is better then Hamilton.

Toronto, to an extent, controlled who they'd play in the first round of the playoffs if the team they were playing beat them, and despite their best efforts, the Ti-Cats found a wait to fail, spectacularly.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Toronto, with a lose, was playing Hamilton, they haven't beat Edmonton all year and Saskatchewan is better then Hamilton.

Toronto, to an extent, controlled who they'd play in the first round of the playoffs if the team they were playing beat them, and despite their best efforts, the Ti-Cats found a wait to fail, spectacularly.
Have a feeling Toronto is hot now with RR and with easily beat Edmonton.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Have a feeling Toronto is hot now with RR and with easily beat Edmonton.
I don't really see them as being able to easily beat Edmonton, the Argos aren't that good.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
I don't really see them as being able to easily beat Edmonton, the Argos aren't that good.
the Argos are at home with lots of momentum and a hot RR

the Esks have zero momentum, would be playing in the East with no QB
i think Toronto steam rolls us

Old
11-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Oilerz

Tonights game, section D row 4 seats 13.14 best offer. pm me.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the Argos are at home with lots of momentum and a hot RR

the Esks have zero momentum, would be playing in the East with no QB
i think Toronto steam rolls us
The RR I remember is usually 2-3 sacks away from looking bewildered. Throw heat at him and don't give him time and he'll have problems.

The only reason he's looked good of late is how long the Argos were able to keep him on the shelf in the weak eastern division. Had Ricky played every game he'd be looking his usual fall self by now. We have no similar luxury here in the competitive Western division.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:51 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
The RR I remember is usually 2-3 sacks away from looking bewildered. Throw heat at him and don't give him time and he'll have problems.

The only reason he's looked good of late is how long the Argos were able to keep him on the shelf in the weak eastern division. Had Ricky played every game he'd be looking his usual fall self by now. We have no similar luxury here in the competitive Western division.
With all due respect your memory on anything RR related is anything but reliable.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:

It clearly didn't matter to the Argos who they played. They were in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of that game. The Riders need to win to have a chance at making the playoffs.

Thats the point I was trying to make.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
This should come with a laughtrack. Weren't you earlier arguing that the Esks shouldn't be in the playoffs on the basis of two sadsack teams being worse followed by stating that the ARGOS EARNED the privilege on the same identical basis.

See any inconsistency there?
Huh...my stance has always been that the Esks should earn their playoff spot by winning. Thats exactly what the Argos did.

There is no inconsistency...nice try.

Quote:
How about the Argos have the record they do due to playing in the Eastern Conference and playing so many of their games against sadsack teams. Until last week the Argos had only 2 wins against Western Opponents.

The Argos are in the playoffs because they get to beat up on Hamilton or Winnipeg seemingly every other week.
So...whats your point? Its not like the Argos or anybody else could control the fact that this is a 2 division 8 team league with more than its fair share of weak sisters.

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that the Esks lost 51-8 to the Ticats and also lost to Winnipeg this year.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Is it still possible to go through the West, or are we guaranteed to cross over?

Old
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
DrDrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Is it still possible to go through the West, or are we guaranteed to cross over?
If we win and the riders lose we will face Calgary

Old
11-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
If we win and the riders lose we will face Calgary
so in other words we play TOR

Old
11-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Huh...my stance has always been that the Esks should earn their playoff spot by winning. Thats exactly what the Argos did.

There is no inconsistency...nice try.

The argos "earned" a playoff spot on the basis of being ahead of Hamilton and Winnipeg. In this division it was next to impossible to avoid them making the playoffs.

So the Eskimos are also better than the same two teams, Hamilton and Winnipeg, plus to qualify for the crossover the Eskimos HAD to have more pts than either of those clubs. The Argos could have made in even if tied in the standings if they won the season series.

In the East its a luxury knowing you can be pretty ordinary and still make the playoffs with ease. In the West its a dogfight.

Don't discount either what 8games in the schedule consisting of dates with Winnipeg and Hamilton does for a team.

What easy opponents do we have in the West?

AS far as the matchups with the bombers or Ticats we should have won both games against the Bombers. They were both ours to win. I like our chances getting pts against them if we played them 4 times. As far as Hamilton the 51-8 game I would have to say is an outlier. A game in which the Eskimos got down, demoralized, and just layed down. The one time this year they did that. An atypical game. I'd say yes. In the game between the clubs that meant all the marbles we won. We also won a huge game against the Riders down the stretch. One we weren't supposed to win and that you would doubt we would win. We won the game going away.
We lost the last 2 games to BC, and Montreal, two most likely teams to end up in the Grey Cup. We were in both of those game. Despite an injury depleted club.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-02-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
The argos "earned" a playoff spot on the basis of being ahead of Hamilton and Winnipeg. In this division it was next to impossible to avoid them making the playoffs.

So the Eskimos are also better than the same two teams, Hamilton and Winnipeg, plus to qualify for the crossover the Eskimos HAD to have more pts than either of those clubs. The Argos could have made in even if tied in the standings if they won the season series.

In the East its a luxury knowing you can be pretty ordinary and still make the playoffs with ease. In the West its a dogfight.

Don't discount either what 8games in the schedule consisting of dates with Winnipeg and Hamilton does for a team.

Please reread post 635 and explain why the Esks (if they are indeed a superior team) got their ***** handed to them by the Cats (51-8) and lost to the Bombers? Those should have been easy victories for the clearly superior Eskimos...no?

Old
11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Please reread post 635 and explain why the Esks (if they are indeed a superior team) got their ***** handed to them by the Cats (51-8) and lost to the Bombers? Those should have been easy victories for the clearly superior Eskimos...no?
On any given day some **** can happen. Honestly though answer this question.

Is it an easier or harder schedule facing the Bombers/Ticats a total of 8times?

The actual results of the games don't change that overall the chances of beating the worst clubs in the league is better than say playing BC, Calgary, Sask all the time.

Despite this huge advantage the Argos recently had an identical record to the Eskimos. But its harder to stumble when you can't even give a game away.

Anyway are you seriously trying to argue that the Bombers and Ticats are better than the Esks? What is your point here. Other than boohooing about the Esks making the playoffs. Which you seemingly think they haven't "earned".

Old
11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:

AS far as the matchups with the bombers or Ticats we should have won both games against the Bombers. They were both ours to win. I like our chances getting pts against them if we played them 4 times. As far as Hamilton the 51-8 game I would have to say is an outlier. A game in which the Eskimos got down, demoralized, and just layed down. The one time this year they did that. An atypical game. I'd say yes. In the game between the clubs that meant all the marbles we won. We also won a huge game against the Riders down the stretch. One we weren't supposed to win and that you would doubt we would win. We won the game going away.
We lost the last 2 games to BC, and Montreal, two most likely teams to end up in the Grey Cup. We were in both of those game. Despite an injury depleted club.
The Esks have been junk this season for the most part regardless of who they played...that is undeniable. Nice try with the excuses on the Ti-Cats game.

The divisions are what they are in this goofy League...all bets are off in the playoffs.

In any event, what exactly is your point here...that the Esks are better than the Argos?

Old
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
The Esks have been junk this season for the most part regardless of who they played...that is undeniable. Nice try with the excuses on the Ti-Cats game.

The divisions are what they are in this goofy League...all bets are off in the playoffs.

In any event, what exactly is your point here...that the Esks are better than the Argos?
My point was we made the playoffs, legit, and fair and square. Not sure where the notion comes from that the Eskimos don't deserve to be there and the Argos automatically do. 2 weeks ago the Argos would've found themselves in last place in the west and despite their easier schedule.

Argos are playing reasonably well right now. We'll see what happens. If we get some guys back from injury and are reasonably healthy (Howard, Sherritt, Charles) playing complete games then we're in it. Being that the game is in Toronto it could be a longer day if we continue to have multiple injuries on D.

I think theres very little to choose between the clubs tbh. Despite us winning both matchups.

Again as far as the one ticats game its a game like no other all season. That is undeniable. Not one other match where the team looked like that. You can say junk I guess. We won 7 games, several convincingly, we lost 5 games by a couple pts and in at least 3 of those missed the game winning FG. On another one we had the ball deep and Jyles fumbled when it would've been an easy kick to win. We could easily have 10 or 11 wins now.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:42 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=408665

There is really no reason he shouldn't start and I'm glad he is. It's a game where we can see what Nichols is made of. We're already in the playoffs, might as well see what we have in him and how much last weeks 9 minutes was close to the real Nichols.
Yes i agree i really want to see what he can do he had a game against bc that didnt go so well but last week he had a great 4th quarter if he can play well tonight maybe he should start for us in the playoffs instead of kj

Old
11-02-2012, 07:47 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
My point was we made the playoffs, legit, and fair and square. Not sure where the notion comes from that the Eskimos don't deserve to be there and the Argos automatically do. 2 weeks ago the Argos would've found themselves in last place in the west and despite their easier schedule.
Look if you satisfied with sucking a little less than the other teams to make the playoffs then good on ya.
I would rather see the team earn a spot by winning...not back in by losing.

Just a question of perspective I guess.

Quote:
Argos are playing reasonably well right now. We'll see what happens. If we get some guys back from injury and are reasonably healthy (Howard, Sherritt, Charles) playing complete games then we're in it. Being that the game is in Toronto it could be a longer day if we continue to have multiple injuries on D.

I think theres very little to choose between the clubs tbh. Despite us winning both matchups.
Honestly...it would be fun if they played the Argos and your savior Joseph goes head to head against Ray.
I think that there is an overwhelmingly obvious difference at QB (and offensively) but your hate for Ray precludes you from seeing that.
I also think that the Argos have a big edge when it comes to Special Teams but the Esks have an edge on defence.
The only way the Esks win is if Joseph has an out of body experience like he has maybe 3 times this season.

Quote:
Again as far as the one ticats game its a game like no other all season. That is undeniable. Not one other match where the team looked like that. You can say junk I guess. We won 7 games, several convincingly, we lost 5 games by a couple pts and in at least 3 of those missed the game winning FG. On another one we had the ball deep and Jyles fumbled when it would've been an easy kick to win. We could easily have 10 or 11 wins now.
Lets see....

Loss 39-15 to the Stamps
Loss 39-19 to the Lions
Loss 51-8 to the Ticats
Loss 17-1 to the Riders

Obviously the Ticats loss was the worst but the absolutely putrid offence showed up on multiple occasions. This offence scored less than 20 points a total of 7 times...they were neck and neck with the Bombers for the worst offence in the CFL.

Yeah...I'd say they were extremely lucky to be in the playoffs with this offence and their (7-11 or 8-10) record.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:12 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

That certainly did not take long. Good job defense.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:22 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Tough start but its good to see Nichols in there.

Unlike Replacement I would be one happy Esks fan if I never see the likes of Joseph or Jyles again.

I am really pulling for Nichols to succeed..this team has little else to fall back on.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

So far I'm pretty glad I stayed at home for this one

Old
11-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

As am I.

It's amazing that a team this putrid is going to make the playoffs. They don't deserve it.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Eskies and their penalties. Green and Gold did not come to play so far.

Closed Thread