HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  #626
eskies4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You're not getting what I'm putting down. Myself after repeated knee injuries and recurring hyperextensions playing competitive sports I could be considered equally tough. I always got back up if I could, always tried.

I never considered myself tough in that regard however. What I felt was I was always one bad move/hit/incident removed from injury. I certainly wasn't football or hockey tough. I had to give up those sports entirely.

If somebody called me tough for that I would think they're being sarcastic. I could barely get through a tennis match at the time..

I get where you are coming from... Im sure you were "tough" as nails in this sense..I still consider Buck Pierce tough and I consider players that play every game of every season tough..

eskies4life is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
  #627
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Come on Jimmi...there is a major difference between a team that has no effect on their own destiny (Toronto) and a team that can still effect their own destiny (Regina).

The 2 situations are not comparable.
Toronto, with a lose, was playing Hamilton, they haven't beat Edmonton all year and Saskatchewan is better then Hamilton.

Toronto, to an extent, controlled who they'd play in the first round of the playoffs if the team they were playing beat them, and despite their best efforts, the Ti-Cats found a wait to fail, spectacularly.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
  #628
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Toronto, with a lose, was playing Hamilton, they haven't beat Edmonton all year and Saskatchewan is better then Hamilton.

Toronto, to an extent, controlled who they'd play in the first round of the playoffs if the team they were playing beat them, and despite their best efforts, the Ti-Cats found a wait to fail, spectacularly.
Have a feeling Toronto is hot now with RR and with easily beat Edmonton.

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
  #629
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Have a feeling Toronto is hot now with RR and with easily beat Edmonton.
I don't really see them as being able to easily beat Edmonton, the Argos aren't that good.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  #630
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I don't really see them as being able to easily beat Edmonton, the Argos aren't that good.
the Argos are at home with lots of momentum and a hot RR

the Esks have zero momentum, would be playing in the East with no QB
i think Toronto steam rolls us

CantHaveTkachev is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:31 PM
  #631
Oilerz
Registered User
 
Oilerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: River City. E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,344
vCash: 500
Tonights game, section D row 4 seats 13.14 best offer. pm me.

Oilerz is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:35 PM
  #632
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the Argos are at home with lots of momentum and a hot RR

the Esks have zero momentum, would be playing in the East with no QB
i think Toronto steam rolls us
The RR I remember is usually 2-3 sacks away from looking bewildered. Throw heat at him and don't give him time and he'll have problems.

The only reason he's looked good of late is how long the Argos were able to keep him on the shelf in the weak eastern division. Had Ricky played every game he'd be looking his usual fall self by now. We have no similar luxury here in the competitive Western division.

Replacement is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:51 PM
  #633
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The RR I remember is usually 2-3 sacks away from looking bewildered. Throw heat at him and don't give him time and he'll have problems.

The only reason he's looked good of late is how long the Argos were able to keep him on the shelf in the weak eastern division. Had Ricky played every game he'd be looking his usual fall self by now. We have no similar luxury here in the competitive Western division.
With all due respect your memory on anything RR related is anything but reliable.

guymez is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
  #634
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Toronto, with a lose, was playing Hamilton, they haven't beat Edmonton all year and Saskatchewan is better then Hamilton.

Toronto, to an extent, controlled who they'd play in the first round of the playoffs if the team they were playing beat them, and despite their best efforts, the Ti-Cats found a wait to fail, spectacularly.
It clearly didn't matter to the Argos who they played. They were in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of that game. The Riders need to win to have a chance at making the playoffs.

Thats the point I was trying to make.

guymez is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
  #635
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This should come with a laughtrack. Weren't you earlier arguing that the Esks shouldn't be in the playoffs on the basis of two sadsack teams being worse followed by stating that the ARGOS EARNED the privilege on the same identical basis.

See any inconsistency there?
Huh...my stance has always been that the Esks should earn their playoff spot by winning. Thats exactly what the Argos did.

There is no inconsistency...nice try.

Quote:
How about the Argos have the record they do due to playing in the Eastern Conference and playing so many of their games against sadsack teams. Until last week the Argos had only 2 wins against Western Opponents.

The Argos are in the playoffs because they get to beat up on Hamilton or Winnipeg seemingly every other week.
So...whats your point? Its not like the Argos or anybody else could control the fact that this is a 2 division 8 team league with more than its fair share of weak sisters.

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that the Esks lost 51-8 to the Ticats and also lost to Winnipeg this year.

guymez is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:03 PM
  #636
Q Continuum
You are Wrong
 
Q Continuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,176
vCash: 500
Is it still possible to go through the West, or are we guaranteed to cross over?

Q Continuum is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
  #637
DrDrai
Registered User
 
DrDrai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Is it still possible to go through the West, or are we guaranteed to cross over?
If we win and the riders lose we will face Calgary

DrDrai is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:21 PM
  #638
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
If we win and the riders lose we will face Calgary
so in other words we play TOR

Petro Points is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 04:53 PM
  #639
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Huh...my stance has always been that the Esks should earn their playoff spot by winning. Thats exactly what the Argos did.

There is no inconsistency...nice try.



.
The argos "earned" a playoff spot on the basis of being ahead of Hamilton and Winnipeg. In this division it was next to impossible to avoid them making the playoffs.

So the Eskimos are also better than the same two teams, Hamilton and Winnipeg, plus to qualify for the crossover the Eskimos HAD to have more pts than either of those clubs. The Argos could have made in even if tied in the standings if they won the season series.

In the East its a luxury knowing you can be pretty ordinary and still make the playoffs with ease. In the West its a dogfight.

Don't discount either what 8games in the schedule consisting of dates with Winnipeg and Hamilton does for a team.

What easy opponents do we have in the West?

AS far as the matchups with the bombers or Ticats we should have won both games against the Bombers. They were both ours to win. I like our chances getting pts against them if we played them 4 times. As far as Hamilton the 51-8 game I would have to say is an outlier. A game in which the Eskimos got down, demoralized, and just layed down. The one time this year they did that. An atypical game. I'd say yes. In the game between the clubs that meant all the marbles we won. We also won a huge game against the Riders down the stretch. One we weren't supposed to win and that you would doubt we would win. We won the game going away.
We lost the last 2 games to BC, and Montreal, two most likely teams to end up in the Grey Cup. We were in both of those game. Despite an injury depleted club.


Last edited by Replacement: 11-02-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Replacement is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
  #640
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The argos "earned" a playoff spot on the basis of being ahead of Hamilton and Winnipeg. In this division it was next to impossible to avoid them making the playoffs.

So the Eskimos are also better than the same two teams, Hamilton and Winnipeg, plus to qualify for the crossover the Eskimos HAD to have more pts than either of those clubs. The Argos could have made in even if tied in the standings if they won the season series.

In the East its a luxury knowing you can be pretty ordinary and still make the playoffs with ease. In the West its a dogfight.

Don't discount either what 8games in the schedule consisting of dates with Winnipeg and Hamilton does for a team.

What easy opponents do we have in the West?
Please reread post 635 and explain why the Esks (if they are indeed a superior team) got their ***** handed to them by the Cats (51-8) and lost to the Bombers? Those should have been easy victories for the clearly superior Eskimos...no?

guymez is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
  #641
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Please reread post 635 and explain why the Esks (if they are indeed a superior team) got their ***** handed to them by the Cats (51-8) and lost to the Bombers? Those should have been easy victories for the clearly superior Eskimos...no?
On any given day some **** can happen. Honestly though answer this question.

Is it an easier or harder schedule facing the Bombers/Ticats a total of 8times?

The actual results of the games don't change that overall the chances of beating the worst clubs in the league is better than say playing BC, Calgary, Sask all the time.

Despite this huge advantage the Argos recently had an identical record to the Eskimos. But its harder to stumble when you can't even give a game away.


Anyway are you seriously trying to argue that the Bombers and Ticats are better than the Esks? What is your point here. Other than boohooing about the Esks making the playoffs. Which you seemingly think they haven't "earned".

Replacement is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
  #642
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The argos "earned" a playoff spot on the basis of being ahead of Hamilton and Winnipeg. In this division it was next to impossible to avoid them making the playoffs.

So the Eskimos are also better than the same two teams, Hamilton and Winnipeg, plus to qualify for the crossover the Eskimos HAD to have more pts than either of those clubs. The Argos could have made in even if tied in the standings if they won the season series.

In the East its a luxury knowing you can be pretty ordinary and still make the playoffs with ease. In the West its a dogfight.

Don't discount either what 8games in the schedule consisting of dates with Winnipeg and Hamilton does for a team.

What easy opponents do we have in the West?

AS far as the matchups with the bombers or Ticats we should have won both games against the Bombers. They were both ours to win. I like our chances getting pts against them if we played them 4 times. As far as Hamilton the 51-8 game I would have to say is an outlier. A game in which the Eskimos got down, demoralized, and just layed down. The one time this year they did that. An atypical game. I'd say yes. In the game between the clubs that meant all the marbles we won. We also won a huge game against the Riders down the stretch. One we weren't supposed to win and that you would doubt we would win. We won the game going away.
We lost the last 2 games to BC, and Montreal, two most likely teams to end up in the Grey Cup. We were in both of those game. Despite an injury depleted club.
The Esks have been junk this season for the most part regardless of who they played...that is undeniable. Nice try with the excuses on the Ti-Cats game.

The divisions are what they are in this goofy League...all bets are off in the playoffs.


In any event, what exactly is your point here...that the Esks are better than the Argos?

guymez is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
  #643
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
The Esks have been junk this season for the most part regardless of who they played...that is undeniable. Nice try with the excuses on the Ti-Cats game.

The divisions are what they are in this goofy League...all bets are off in the playoffs.


In any event, what exactly is your point here...that the Esks are better than the Argos?
My point was we made the playoffs, legit, and fair and square. Not sure where the notion comes from that the Eskimos don't deserve to be there and the Argos automatically do. 2 weeks ago the Argos would've found themselves in last place in the west and despite their easier schedule.

Argos are playing reasonably well right now. We'll see what happens. If we get some guys back from injury and are reasonably healthy (Howard, Sherritt, Charles) playing complete games then we're in it. Being that the game is in Toronto it could be a longer day if we continue to have multiple injuries on D.

I think theres very little to choose between the clubs tbh. Despite us winning both matchups.

Again as far as the one ticats game its a game like no other all season. That is undeniable. Not one other match where the team looked like that. You can say junk I guess. We won 7 games, several convincingly, we lost 5 games by a couple pts and in at least 3 of those missed the game winning FG. On another one we had the ball deep and Jyles fumbled when it would've been an easy kick to win. We could easily have 10 or 11 wins now.

Replacement is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 05:42 PM
  #644
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=408665



There is really no reason he shouldn't start and I'm glad he is. It's a game where we can see what Nichols is made of. We're already in the playoffs, might as well see what we have in him and how much last weeks 9 minutes was close to the real Nichols.
Yes i agree i really want to see what he can do he had a game against bc that didnt go so well but last week he had a great 4th quarter if he can play well tonight maybe he should start for us in the playoffs instead of kj

402 is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 07:47 PM
  #645
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
My point was we made the playoffs, legit, and fair and square. Not sure where the notion comes from that the Eskimos don't deserve to be there and the Argos automatically do. 2 weeks ago the Argos would've found themselves in last place in the west and despite their easier schedule.
Look if you satisfied with sucking a little less than the other teams to make the playoffs then good on ya.
I would rather see the team earn a spot by winning...not back in by losing.

Just a question of perspective I guess.


Quote:
Argos are playing reasonably well right now. We'll see what happens. If we get some guys back from injury and are reasonably healthy (Howard, Sherritt, Charles) playing complete games then we're in it. Being that the game is in Toronto it could be a longer day if we continue to have multiple injuries on D.

I think theres very little to choose between the clubs tbh. Despite us winning both matchups.
Honestly...it would be fun if they played the Argos and your savior Joseph goes head to head against Ray.
I think that there is an overwhelmingly obvious difference at QB (and offensively) but your hate for Ray precludes you from seeing that.
I also think that the Argos have a big edge when it comes to Special Teams but the Esks have an edge on defence.
The only way the Esks win is if Joseph has an out of body experience like he has maybe 3 times this season.

Quote:
Again as far as the one ticats game its a game like no other all season. That is undeniable. Not one other match where the team looked like that. You can say junk I guess. We won 7 games, several convincingly, we lost 5 games by a couple pts and in at least 3 of those missed the game winning FG. On another one we had the ball deep and Jyles fumbled when it would've been an easy kick to win. We could easily have 10 or 11 wins now.
Lets see....

Loss 39-15 to the Stamps
Loss 39-19 to the Lions
Loss 51-8 to the Ticats
Loss 17-1 to the Riders


Obviously the Ticats loss was the worst but the absolutely putrid offence showed up on multiple occasions. This offence scored less than 20 points a total of 7 times...they were neck and neck with the Bombers for the worst offence in the CFL.

Yeah...I'd say they were extremely lucky to be in the playoffs with this offence and their (7-11 or 8-10) record.

guymez is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 08:12 PM
  #646
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,234
vCash: 50
That certainly did not take long. Good job defense.

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
11-02-2012, 08:22 PM
  #647
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 50
Tough start but its good to see Nichols in there.

Unlike Replacement I would be one happy Esks fan if I never see the likes of Joseph or Jyles again.

I am really pulling for Nichols to succeed..this team has little else to fall back on.

guymez is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
  #648
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
So far I'm pretty glad I stayed at home for this one

Insta is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 09:01 PM
  #649
Angelus
Smile Time!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
As am I.

It's amazing that a team this putrid is going to make the playoffs. They don't deserve it.

Angelus is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 09:03 PM
  #650
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Eskies and their penalties. Green and Gold did not come to play so far.

Vagabond is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.