HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Center Pole : who are the futur 4 center!!

View Poll Results: What is your top 4 !
Plekanec 130 79.27%
Deshanais 99 60.37%
Eller 145 88.41%
Gomez 8 4.88%
White 26 15.85%
Nokelainen 2 1.22%
Leblanc 34 20.73%
Bournival 40 24.39%
Galchenyuk 136 82.93%
Dumont 7 4.27%
Vail 10 6.10%
Pribyl 1 0.61%
Cichy 2 1.22%
Nattinen 5 3.05%
Geoffrion 6 3.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
Desharnais will be a RFA and won't be making peanuts any more. How many millions will he cost?

Plekanec has more trade value because he is the better player!

Also, trading Eller would be a huge mistake.

Plekanec has better value because Desharnais is underestimate. There is not a big difference between those 2 right now but Plekanec is 4 years older and will not be a dominant player for much longer.

Trading Eller is not a mistake if the Canadiens obtain a good and young top 6 winger in return.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
FrankMTL

I would trade Plekanec for a good young player, but I would wait for Galchy to make an impression first. So maybe next year or the begining of the 2014-2015 season

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
Plekanec has better value because Desharnais is underestimate. There is not a big difference between those 2 right now but Plekanec is 4 years older and will not be a dominant player for much longer.

Trading Eller is not a mistake if the Canadiens obtain a good and young top 6 winger in return.
Wait, so you want to trade both Plekanec AND Eller? No two way center on the top 2 lines?

And if Desharnais has another year like last year, especially if he can do it without Cole and Pacioretty at all times, he will have plenty of value.

Plekanec doesn't have high trade value relative to his usefulness because he's a jack of all trades.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
So we have a great decision to come who are going to be the future of this team and it,s now all about the Centerman !! We have a great Goalie and a good D-Pack but who are the ones to make our foward face-off ?

Here are the Names :

Tomas Plekanec
Scott Gomez
David Desharnais
Lars Eller
Ryan White
Petteri Nokelainen

ROOKIES/FUTURES

1. Alex Galchenyuk CHL 8.5 C
2. Louis Leblanc Pro 7.0 B
3. Michael Bournival Pro 7.0 C
4. Joonas Nattinen Pro 7.0 D
5. Gabriel Dumont Pro 6.5 C
6. Brady Vail CHL 6.5 C
7. Daniel Pribyl Europe 6.5 C
8. Dustin Walsh NCAA 6.0 D
9. Michael Cichy NCAA 6.0 D

Who are the top 4 for this year and the next one ?
Poll. POLL. POLL!

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
So we have a great decision to come who are going to be the future of this team and it,s now all about the Centerman !! We have a great Goalie and a good D-Pack but who are the ones to make our foward face-off ?

Here are the Names :

Tomas Plekanec
Scott Gomez
David Desharnais
Lars Eller
Ryan White
Petteri Nokelainen

ROOKIES/FUTURES

1. Alex Galchenyuk CHL 8.5 C
2. Louis Leblanc Pro 7.0 B
3. Michael Bournival Pro 7.0 C
4. Joonas Nattinen Pro 7.0 D
5. Gabriel Dumont Pro 6.5 C
6. Brady Vail CHL 6.5 C
7. Daniel Pribyl Europe 6.5 C
8. Dustin Walsh NCAA 6.0 D
9. Michael Cichy NCAA 6.0 D

Who are the top 4 for this year and the next one ?
Warning: neg rant follows:

In 2 years:

Gally, not ready, but we're ****, so it will happen.
Pleks I guess, and his 17 goal crushing game.
Eller, maybe, though I doubt it.
Free agent

Our centers are terrible. Hello? 15th in the east. Guess why? One of the lowest goal scoring center line ups in the history of the Habs, if not the lowest.

Pleks is an awful no. 1, and barely a number 2 at this point. Inconsistent, weak, and can't score goals. Defense Yah de Dah. Who cares? I love losing 1-0, don't you?

Eller couldn't score on a barn door. Hands of stone. If Eller was a star, we'd know it by now. No faith whatever. Bad line mates, boo hoo. Then do it yourself.

DD does not score goals, and he's tiny. Bye. Sorry to piss off the fan boys. But there it is.

This board has to, at some point, stop wishing about the future, and realize how terrible we are now, and especially how bad our centers are.

And I've stopped hoping in our center prospects, totally. We have one good one, Gally.

The rest of the center prospects are awful. If you don't believe me, check out Carbo's junior numbers, and he was a great 3rd line center, no more:

1978-79 Chicoutimi Saguenéens QMJHL 72 62g 79a 141 p
1979–80 Chicoutimi Saguenéens QMJHL 72 72g 110a 182 p

No injuries.

That's the standard we should be looking for. High scoring times? Yes. But 182 ****ing points, I think that's more than just high scoring times. I think that's a center prospect to be excited about.

Leblanc. Please. Don't think so. Knock him down with a feather.
Bournival. I'm so excited. No wait, I'm not.
Nattinen. Right. Call me when he makes a difference in a game.

Our center depth is terrible.

Neg post? Yeah. It is. We are dire at center, we are absolutely terrible, now, and with prospects.

We need another top 3 center pick, bad. Like the Penguins needed it too. We will not trade for , or find a good center other than Gally in any other way, and the rest of our centers, and the prospect centers, are bottom NHL team level, no better.

You guys are gonna kill me for this post, but I've watched Habs since 1970, and bar Gally, who's 18 years old, I've never been less excited about our centers, now, and in the future.

It's ****ing dire boys.

Last edited by bsl: 11-02-2012 at 11:46 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Andy

Plekanec barely a number 2? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The problem is Plekanec is been used to long as a number one. He had 54 points playing with scraps and a revolving door of wingers all year long getting second PP time, at times playing at the poiint where he never played before. To diminish his defensive game is nonsensical. The importance of a two-way centre should never be undermined. They are as important as pure offensive centres.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Wait, so you want to trade both Plekanec AND Eller? No two way center on the top 2 lines?

And if Desharnais has another year like last year, especially if he can do it without Cole and Pacioretty at all times, he will have plenty of value.

Plekanec doesn't have high trade value relative to his usefulness because he's a jack of all trades.
Eller will probably be traded next year with the arrival of Galchenyuk. Plekanec will not be traded until two center are as good or better than him. I think Plekanec will be traded in 2014-2015 if Galchenyuk perform well.

If Desharnais repeat, his value will still be better in Montreal than the return we could have. He his 4 years younger than Plekanec, he his local talent and his contract is really good right now and i expect his new contract to be reasonnable between 3 and 4.5 million per year. In my view, there is absolutly no reason at all to trade Desharnais in the next 3 years.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Not to burst anyone's bubble but a center can easily play wing, so having more centers tahn we need just means we'll probably have one shifted to wing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Desharnais is 4 years younger, he is local talent, his salaray cap is lower, he doesn't fear to go in front of the net to complete a play and he has a better ice Q than Plekanec. Plekanec is a no show in playoffs and has a better value on the trade market. If one of them is traded it's gonna be Plekanec.

For 2012-2013

1- Desharnais
2- Plekanec
3- Eller

For 2013-2014

1-Desharnais
2-Plekanec
3- Galchenyuk

Eller will be the first to leave Montreal. I could see him in a package deal with Diaz and a 2nd draft pick for a real good young top 6 winger.
You have no idea how good of a second liner Plekanec can be if well surrounded.. He is easily one of the best 2 way centers in the league and a pure competitor.. Desharnais is obviously the most overrated Habs on this board and believe me, he will play himself out of the line-up cause he just cant survive to our future center depth chart.. At the end, the choice is simple, its Plekanec or Desharnais and like I said, Pleks eats Desharnais alive any days of the week.. He is way more versatile and complete as a player..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Et le But

Exactly, especially when the wing depth is terrible, there is no reason to have this discussion until we have a better idea what we have with a few players and where we are drafting this year. If we get a chance at Mackinnon or Barkov everything changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Plekanec barely a number 2? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The problem is Plekanec is been used to long as a number one. He had 54 points playing with scraps and a revolving door of wingers all year long getting second PP time, at times playing at the poiint where he never played before. To diminish his defensive game is nonsensical. The importance of a two-way centre should never be undermined. They are as important as pure offensive centres.
My favourite part of that post was when he said who cares about defense.

I also love when he said Eller has hands of stone despite Eller being the only guy on this team right now who can deke.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
You have no idea how good of a second liner Plekanec can be if well surrounded.. He is easily one of the best 2 way centers in the league and a pure competitor.. Desharnais is obviously the most overrated Habs on this board and believe me, he will play himself out of the line-up cause he just cant survive to our future center depth chart.. At the end, the choice is simple, its Plekanec or Desharnais and like I said, Pleks eats Desharnais alive any days of the week.. He is way more versatile and complete as a player..
I know Plekanec is a great two way center. What i also know, is that Plekanec has nearly no impact in playoffs series. I prefer take my chance with an unprooven Desharnais in playoffs than with the tested Plekanec who had no impact in the playoffs in the past. The Canadiens will never win a cup with Plekanec in his top center. Ultimately, i feel that Galchenyuk and the age and the salary of Plekanec will result in the trade of Plekanec.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I know Plekanec is a great two way center. What i also know, is that Plekanec has nearly no impact in playoffs series. I prefer take my chance with an unprooven Desharnais in playoffs than with the tested Plekanec who had no impact in the playoffs in the past. The Canadiens will never win a cup with Plekanec in his top center. Ultimately, i feel that Galchenyuk and the age and the salary of Plekanec will result in the trade of Plekanec.
What playoff series are you talking about? He helped shut down Crosby Malkin Ovechkin and Backstrom 2 years ago and still found time to chip in some decent points.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What playoff series are you talking about? He helped shut down Crosby Malkin Ovechkin and Backstrom 2 years ago and still found time to chip in some decent points.
Halak and the defensemen who blocked shot shut down these two teams. It was the best performance of Plekanec. Beside those series he was average or invisible. I prefer players who are average in the season but dominant in playoffs like Koivu than players who are good in the season but average in the playoffs like Plekanec.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Halak and the defensemen who blocked shot shut down these two teams. It was the best performance of Plekanec. Beside those series he was average or invisible. I prefer players who are average in the season but dominant in playoffs like Koivu than players who are good in the season but average in the playoffs like Plekanec.
It's a ****ing team game. Plekanec was as much involved in the series wins as the others.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:56 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
No impact in the series?? 47 GP 29 PTS I really dont think thats bad stats at all.. When Pleks isnt scoring, you know that at least he isnt scored against, thats how reliable and effective he really is, Pleks can play any opponents lines any times, you know his line will never get outplayed when he is on the ice.. Pleks is the perfect second line type of center, just add this team a bit more depth, give him some decent linemates and he will do great.. Still, Desharnais has been put in a perfect situation to shine playing with the best wingers of this team, 2 big and skilled PF skating like the wind and creating alot of space for him, so its normal some people see Desharnais right now as the second coming of Jesus Christ, but it will change quickly when one of his linemates get injured or doesnt play with the same passion as last year.. Then his weakness will become more evident..

Old
11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
No impact in the series?? 47 GP 29 PTS I really dont think thats bad stats at all.. When Pleks isnt scoring, you know that at least he isnt scored against, thats how reliable and effective he really is, Pleks can play any opponents lines any times, you know his line will never get outplayed when he is on the ice.. Pleks is the perfect second line type of center, just add this team a bit more depth, give him some decent linemates and he will do great.. Still, Desharnais has been put in a perfect situation to shine playing with the best wingers of this team, 2 big and skilled PF skating like the wind and creating alot of space for him, so its normal some people see Desharnais right now as the second coming of Jesus Christ, but it will change quickly when one of his linemates get injured or doesnt play with the same passion as last year.. Then his weakness will become more evident..
Its not bad but its not great either. He is not real type of playoffs guy. He called himself a little girl. A good playoffs players put near a point per game or better or has a physical impact on the game. I agree that Desharnais was put in the perfect situation to perform but his two wingers also benefit of playing with him. They both had their best scoring year while playing with him. Desharnais has a tremendous vision and he his a great playmaker only the injuries can stop him from being a regular 60 points producer per year.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Its not bad but its not great either. He is not real type of playoffs guy. He called himself a little girl. A good playoffs players put near a point per game or better or has a physical impact on the game. I agree that Desharnais was put in the perfect situation to perform but his two wingers also benefit of playing with him. They both had their best scoring year while playing with him. Desharnais has a tremendous vision and he his a great playmaker only the injuries can stop him from being a regular 60 points producer per year.
Ryan Kesler have closely the same PPG as Plekanec in playoff does that mean you would prefer trying DD over Kesler? Both are very good on Pk and can shutdown the other team top line.

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Ginu

The poll aligns with what my thoughts are. We want size down the middle in Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller. Galchenyuk is also a scorer so play Desharnais with him and Pacioretty. Let's hope Galchenyuk is able to score regularly at the NHL level.

Plekanec with guys like Hudon and Collberg. Eller with guys like Leblanc and Gallagher.

The 4th line center position won't be had by one of this guys. It should be an experienced player with grit who can win faceoffs. A guy like Ryan White who's better in the faceoff circle.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
100% agreed. I am willing to trade Plekanec to upgrade the team because of how good he is and the value he can bring back, not because he isn't good. Plekanec is one of the absolute best 2nd line centers in the entire NHL. How any Habs fan can miss that is beyond me. Give our team a true, big, strong center on our first line, and you will see how good Plekanec truly can be.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
I'm really hoping for Pleky to get traded before his contract ends. We could get some serious assets in return. Don't get me wrong I love Plekanec. But he's currently in his prime and the timing would be perfect to trade him a get some youth to join the current/future core guys we have that are 25 or less.

I'd be more than fine with a duo of C made of Gally and Eller. Eller seems still underated by a lot of people out here. I'm strongly convinced that the LEAST he can do is replacing Plekanec.

While Leblanc is not the next Ryan Kesler, he can successfully fill a 3rd role C.

But I still don't know what to think of Desharnais. Because of my point on Gally/Eller 1-2 C, I'm having hard time considering DD as the future of a top line in Montréal.

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I think you are right on Andy. And I also thank you for being the ONLY person on this thread to spell centre correctly . Not being spelling police just like Canadians to be Canadians . Thanks .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:04 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Surprised at the little votes for Vail. Should make a good 4C.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
As long as he plays with Cole and Patche and get PP1, he will get his 60 pts per season no doubt, but it is what you really want, a 60 pts first line center? Thats bottom ranking guarenteed..

While DD is a good playmaker, like I said, his linemates create alot of space for him on the ice, what give him more time to make his plays.. Good playmaker but midget sized and average speed, he never displayed any shooting skills either so he should become more expectable in the future..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 11-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
As long as he plays with Cole and Patche and get PP1, he will get his 60 pts per season no doubt, but it is what you really want, a 60 pts first line center? Thats bottom ranking guarenteed..

While DD is a good playmaker, like I said, his linemates create alot of space for him on the ice, what give him more time to make his plays.. Good playmaker but midget sized and average speed, he never displayed any shooting skills either so he should become more expectable in the future..
I think that Desharnais can produce 70 + points if he plays from the start of the season with Cole and Patche. Last year they were place together after at least 15 games. An its not all first center who produce 75 + points. Desharnais was among the 20 th most productive center and Plekanec in the top 30. Desharnais is not the fastest but his unbelivable vision compensate and he can control the game like he want. He can do play than most other can't make.

The problem of the team is not the center, its the lack of good reliable winger. Only Cole and Patche can play in the top 6.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I think you are right on Andy. And I also thank you for being the ONLY person on this thread to spell centre correctly . Not being spelling police just like Canadians to be Canadians . Thanks .
You just got to learn that BOTH are accepted !! : http://grammarist.com/spelling/center-centre/

so thank to Grammarist !

Now onion oignon or ognon ?

Habitant le colon is online now   Reply With Quote