HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CBA Negotiations II: This is the song that never ends...

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Flyerfan4life

vCash: 500
i thought i read somewere that if the WC was cancelled it meant the entire season was a sure thing to follow.

due to the hi-profile nature of the WC..

Old
11-02-2012, 05:07 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
It greatly increases the chance of losing the season, which I think is gonna happen now anyway.

Idiots on both sides. :/

Old
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Dreger just broke on TSN sportscenter the owners are coming forth with a potential make whole provision having the owners foot the bill. 150 million the first year. 50mil the 2nd year.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
As we just discussed on Sportscentre. NHL advised PA it will absorb share of Make Whole provision. This is a considerable concession.

11-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Dreger just broke on TSN sportscenter the owners are coming forth with a potential make whole provision having the owners foot the bill. 150 million the first year. 50mil the 2nd year.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
As we just discussed on Sportscentre. NHL advised PA it will absorb share of Make Whole provision. This is a considerable concession.
what does this mean?

Old
11-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
what does this mean?
What they are basically fighting over now is 300m for this season plus whatever going forward due to the rollback

If the owners are paying 150m this year and 50m next year, that means the rollback is only to about 54% and then about 52%

So the gradual decline to 50% was just offered

Old
11-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Progress!

11-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

You know whats hillarious, the NHL made this verbal offer 3 days ago.

But sure, the players just want to play right...........*******s

Old
11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
godamit, Leights just cant catch a break..

now this season appears to be in the toilet..

i was REALLY looking forward to watching him play again in OnB..

grrrr....
This is the best part of the lockout. No Leighton or Shelley.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You know whats hillarious, the NHL made this verbal offer 3 days ago.

But sure, the players just want to play right...........*******s
God forbid they mull it over and discuss their options/thoughts instead of dismissing it outright in 10 minutes.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
God forbid they mull it over and discuss their options/thoughts instead of dismissing it outright in 10 minutes.
So they get exactly what they've been *****ing about on twitter and in the media and now they have to mull it over?

dat stall tactic

Old
11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
So they get exactly what they've been *****ing about on twitter and in the media and now they have to mull it over?

dat stall tactic
Why wouldn't they take their time? The NHL keeps improving aspects of their offer. Why not wait and see if they give the players more?

Old
11-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:

dat stall tactic
Dat intelligent decision making process, you mean. They're putting together a six year agreement, not ordering dinner. If they're serious about accepting a deal they're going to sit down and go over everything involved. If they don't meet Monday or sooner, that's a different story.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:08 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Thats a complete fabrication. They could have cancelled the day before and paid $250,000.

The NHL have shown that they have had enough of this bull.
The day before what? They were scheduled to pay $250,000 today and they cancelled so they could avoid it.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...to-resume-soon

Quote:
The league was scheduled to pay $250,000 on Friday to the University of Michigan as part of its $3 million it would pay for use of the Big House, which would have seen 114,000 fans take in the game.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The day before what? They were scheduled to pay $250,000 today and they cancelled so they could avoid it.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...to-resume-soon
They still would have gotten that money back.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:14 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
They still would have gotten that money back.
If there was no game would they have gotten it back?

Old
11-02-2012, 07:19 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:

dat stall tactic
You know the NHL never offered anything right, and that the new make whole was discussed, but no formal offer was made.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:23 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
You know the NHL never offered anything right, and that the new make whole was discussed, but no formal offer was made.
Not only that but it's very ironic that they put this out there on the day they cancel the WC. I bet that once it is presented we'll hear that it's not much of anything, it was just "leaked" to deflect attention from the cancellation.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:26 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Not only that but it's very ironic that they put this out there on the day they cancel the WC. I bet that once it is presented we'll hear that it's not much of anything, it was just "leaked" to deflect attention from the cancellation.
Bang on. Everyone cries about the players on their twitter , but the NHL is very calculated and crafty on when and how they release their info. But if true, this is a starting point .

Old
11-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Or 4 days before the WC.......

It's a clear stall tactic from fehr, now he's lost the one bargaining chip that he had. The WC. Tell me, whats Fehrs end game?

He's now 0-2 when calling the shots. Oh those deadlines are just owner deadlines, they wont come through with them. Good game Fehr. It's interesting when the owners don't just roll over like the MLB. It's pretty funny when you remove the chance to strike, Fehr becomes a joke.

The owners clearly want the games to be played. The players are doing a good job of losing money for the season.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:27 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
He's now 0-2 when calling the shots. Oh those deadlines are just owner deadlines, they wont come through with them. Good game Fehr.
Called their bluff twice. Players lose money twice.

I'm eagerly awaiting the tipping point wherein the players have lost so much money it outweighs the concessions the owners are giving them.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Or 4 days before the WC.......

It's a clear stall tactic from fehr, now he's lost the one bargaining chip that he had. The WC. Tell me, whats Fehrs end game?

He's now 0-2 when calling the shots. Oh those deadlines are just owner deadlines, they wont come through with them. Good game Fehr. It's interesting when the owners don't just roll over like the MLB. It's pretty funny when you remove the chance to strike, Fehr becomes a joke.

The owners clearly want the games to be played. The players are doing a good job of losing money for the season.
I'm not sure the Winter Classic was ever the bargaining chip for the players that people seemed to assume. Yes, it is the NHL's most visible game--but its cancellation is a loss to both sides in terms of revenue short-term, and exposure / growth long-term.

If some of you had your way, the NHLPA would have simply accepted the NHL's opening offer of a 43/57 split. The NHL's offers have gotten better since, so the extent that Fehr's strategy is to force the league to counter its own offers, it's working. The offers are actually getting better, after all.

On the other hand, I completely agree that we are quickly reaching (or have already passed) the point where additional concessions won't make up for the lost games required to get there. Hopefully they get some traction in the next few days...

Old
11-03-2012, 11:39 AM
toughfighter83*

sooner or later, the players have to their heads out their a## and get rid of feur or there's never going to be any hockey because he wont budge on any deal unless it's the same as last year that's it.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
In memo to PA, Don Fehr shoots down report of Make Whole concessions. In text, player calls report "latest NHL smokescreen."

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
In a memo to players, Don Fehr says the PA did not receive a new proposal from the league but has merely been in informal talks with them.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Don Fehr to players last night: "You should not read too much into media reports about informal phone calls."

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Fehr: "Both sides have agreed to keep [today's meeting] confidential... to keep the focus on the talks and not on conducting media scrums."

Old
11-03-2012, 12:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Not that people should be shocked, but TSN is awfully quick to take what the NHL gives them and go tell it on the mountain.

Both sides should go all the way now, in my opinion.

If I was the owners, my next move is to wipe everything out. Just announce you're cancelling the whole schedule, but intend to continue working on a deal. They'd have to create a new schedule anyways. Stop pretending that you're trying to save something, and don't let the players try to pretend they are either. Fans will simply go into apathy. In 2005, a deal got done when hockey fans themselves stopped paying attention and acting like they're caught up in the middle.

If I'm the players, since the NHL refuses to so much as read their proposals, I refuse to negotiate until Bettman and Daly are removed. See how bad they're willing to lose everything. Even pro-owner people know Bettman has little respect for the game, and is showing even less respect to the players. And as a fan, I can live with another lost season if it means I never have to see Bettman's face again. In 2005, a deal (also) got done because both sides took Bettman (and Goodenow) out of the room.

It's just bewildering how much the league is willing to give up to help franchises in markets that only hope to break even, if not completely unworkable.

Last edited by GKJ: 11-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Not that people should be shocked, but TSN is awfully quick to take what the NHL gives them and go tell it on the mountain.
They are also doing it with the players as w ell

Closed Thread