HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Attendances Following a Work Stoppage

Old
11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Wolf357

vCash: 500
This time it is different..
First work stoppage didnt last that long. 2nd again was shortned and a full schedule was played, 3rd was for the better of the game (cap). 4th was greed...pure and simple greed. I'm Pissed off. we are all Pissed off.
I realy do hope that there is a fan revolt. In the big markets. You guys in NY, Toronto, Detroit, Philly, Boston, Chicago...Please stay away from the games for a bit.
****'em!

Last edited by danishh: 11-02-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: filter circumvention
Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
This time it is different..
First work stoppage didnt last that long. 2nd again was shortned and a full schedule was played, 3rd was for the better of the game (cap). 4th was greed...pure and simple greed. I'm Pi$sed off. we are all Pi$sed off.
I realy do hope that there is a fan revolt. In the big markets. You guys in NY, Toronto, Detroit, Philly, Boston, Chicago...Please stay away from the games for a bit.
F'em!
I agree. I think most fans knew on some level that the 2005 lockout was necessary for the future of the game especially in smaller Canadian markets.

The 2012 lockout just seems like a pissing match by rich people.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:57 PM
5 Minute Major

I'll go just like I always have but I won't be spending any money on NHL merchandise.

That will be my answer to these spoiled brats on both sides of the fence.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
DJ Omnimaga

When the shortened 1995 season started, I remember that some teams, particularly Canadian teams, were drawing smaller crowds than usual at the start of the season, even though it was January and that at that time of the year is when attendance usually starts increasing. Nordiques had less than 14K after 13 home games into the season even though they normally pulled over 14.5K, the Jets started with an unusually high amount of crowds under 10K (typical at the start of each season but not that often) and the Canucks had a crowd of 10K once. Attendance might have picked up a lot as the season progressed, but as soon as the lockout ended I think it was lower than usual.

This time, unlike 2004, I'm kinda expecting attendance to drop, but not as bad as the 1994 baseball strike, because the teams with very strong fan support and waiting lists will still draw almost as much support and only the teams at risk (such as Phoenix, Dallas, nashville, Carolina, Tampa, etc) and to a lesser extent Columbus, Colorado, Edmonton Islanders and Devils will have noticeable attendance decreases.

There just won't be insane things like Pittsburg vs Philadelphia drawing 6,000 fans a game at the season start, unless a massive NHL fan boycott was organized with medias and fans all around the continent with protests in fronts of arenas on ticket sale hours where nobody is let in, and if that happens, then Winnipeg will lead the entire league in attendance because I doubt such protest would happen in a city where people only had one NHL season in 16 years.

DJ Omnimaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
I would love if there were someway of organizing a boycott of the first games. All 30 arenas are empty when they play. That would send one ****ing big message to the players.
they didn't lock the doors...........

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I agree. I think most fans knew on some level that the 2005 lockout was necessary for the future of the game especially in smaller Canadian markets.

The 2012 lockout just seems like a pissing match by rich people.
That is exactly the reason why I don't believe fans will come back in droves like in 2005. This is the type of lockout that created enormous fan apathy and discontent. I expect attendance to plummet. Even if this season is salvaged, there will be huge fan backlash.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
You can look at it two ways:

1) Hockey fans are suffering from battered wife's syndrome, always forgiving and coming back no matter how much they are abused.

2) Hockey fans understand it's just business and don't get too emotional about CBA negotiations and lockouts. They do something else while NHL and NHLPA fight and then when hockey is back, they get back to watching hockey.

#2 is right on.We will just wait around anticipating when the puck will drop and we'll all be there to see it.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:59 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I wouldn't be so sure it didn't have any "effect", so to speak. While attendance may have stayed constant, it could've been at the "cost" of lower ticket prices (remember that prices are almost exclusively driven by demand) and potentially lost merchandise sales.

What it does tell that it didn't break the league, though.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
they didn't lock the doors...........
Nor did they pay for the arena that the fans come to watch them in...

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I wouldn't be so sure it didn't have any "effect", so to speak. While attendance may have stayed constant, it could've been at the "cost" of lower ticket prices (remember that prices are almost exclusively driven by demand) and potentially lost merchandise sales.

What it does tell that it didn't break the league, though.
What team saw a decrease in ticket prices? Don't include Phoenix...they are no longer going to be in the NHL as per the NHLPA.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:38 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
If there is a season, no problem! employees can have conflicts with employers. but if the cancel the whole season, it shows complete disrespect and shows they only care about our money. why would anyone watch the NHL after that disrespect? if they cancel the whole 2012-13 season, you should never watch NHL hockey again. there are other leagues in the world.

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:45 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
They are just pissing too many people off.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
They are just pissing too many people off.
This I agree with - if you mean that "they" includes both players and owners.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
This I agree with - if you mean that "they" includes both players and owners.
Let's just assume he does since those arguments are going on in a ton of other threads and it's not really the topic here.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:41 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Why do fans act like they are owed a season?

The NHL and the PA have a labour issue, which they will work out at some point.

If you are a fan of hockey, why wouldnt you come back to watch?

While hockey is gone if you find something better to do with you time between October and June, then great, you are happier. And the league will have lost a fan. If they lose enough, they will be a little more hesitant to have extended work stoppages.

The NHL is not an essential service. They are a sports league, a form of entertainment. Sometimes the circus skips your town, doesnt mean you should hate the circus because of it.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:29 AM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Why do fans act like they are owed a season?
Why do the players and owners think they are owed our loyalty?

Seriously, as I said before, I will go to the games because I love the game of hockey. What I won't do is buy any NHL merchandise or concessions while I am there with my family.

That 's the message I'm sending. I'm not going to punish myself by not going to games or watching them on television. I am only one fan, along with my wife and kids but that is about 1,000 to 1,500 dollars the owners and players won't be getting from me.

I hope others feel the same.

It is time to make these two parties realize that the fans really are important in the business of professional hockey.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:34 AM
CerebralGenesis

I won't be going to games or giving the league any of my money for a little while, I know that much.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:37 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

The teams that cant get people to show up cant even lower the prices of tickets after the lockout because the ticket prices are already almost free. This lockout is going to make non hockey market teams look even worse after it's all said and done.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 05:41 PM
oilforone

This coming from someone who has played and watched hockey all his life. This stoppage is pretty much the final for me just adding to other frustrations with the way the game has gone. This such as a piss ass reffing and the lack of respect amongst the players. I will probably continue to watch NHL on TV however not nearly as much. Only will catch the Oilers if they do a playoff drive and in the mood. Have sworn to myself to never pay to go to a game again. If I can quit smoking by swearing on it I can easily do this. I guess have kind of moved on which is probably a good thing.

oilforone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:12 PM
ScottyBowman

They should be ok if they can come up with a hail mary and start playing hockey by Dec 1.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Timmy

I'm at a restaurant in white rock right now and at the table beside us the waitress asked a kid still in his hockey uni if he's sad about the nhl. He and his dad both said "not really" in unison

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:42 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
That is exactly the reason why I don't believe fans will come back in droves like in 2005. This is the type of lockout that created enormous fan apathy and discontent. I expect attendance to plummet. Even if this season is salvaged, there will be huge fan backlash.
sometimes I wonder if the players are insistent to draw this lockout out as much as possible so that the owners never try pulling a lockout ever again.

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:09 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
If there is a season, no problem! employees can have conflicts with employers. but if the cancel the whole season, it shows complete disrespect and shows they only care about our money. why would anyone watch the NHL after that disrespect? if they cancel the whole 2012-13 season, you should never watch NHL hockey again. there are other leagues in the world.

Other leagues are 2nd tier leagues.Hockey fans come to watch the best league in the world -the NHL plain and simple.
Once the puck drops all will be forgotten and forgiven.Thats reality.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:38 AM
JetsFlyHigh

Well, I'm a new hockey fan. And I'm staying. I never experienced a lockout before. But I hope they fix ever problem like Realignment, fix or update some Rules, and ofcourse the CBA. It is sad for those bandwagoners or "casual" fans if you're offended, but the real hockey fans, wether you grew up watching hockey or not, will stay. And this lock out will weed out real hockey markets and pretenders. It does suck, but lets hope they make a deal not to salvage the season, but a deal that's flexible to handle the changing economy of the game.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Well, I'm a new hockey fan. And I'm staying. I never experienced a lockout before. But I hope they fix ever problem like Realignment, fix or update some Rules, and ofcourse the CBA. It is sad for those bandwagoners or "casual" fans if you're offended, but the real hockey fans, wether you grew up watching hockey or not, will stay. And this lock out will weed out real hockey markets and pretenders. It does suck, but lets hope they make a deal not to salvage the season, but a deal that's flexible to handle the changing economy of the game.
Yes, hardcore hockey fans will stay, bu a lot of casual fans will look a other sports during the lockout...

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote