HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Make Whole, Not War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XIX

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 09:22 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Its not really a spin..

If some players are off earning money in Europe while others can't get jobs there, then no, they aren't unified..
That's just like saying if some get endorsements while some don't, they are not unified.

Doesn't mean a damn thing.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:22 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
The reason why the meeting is "secret" is to put the focus on talks and not on the message in front of the media.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.....secret meeting is so secret..that media doesn't know about said secret meeting. /PR.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
so why arent Bettman and D Fehr going to be at the meeting also??
It seems to be indication they can't stand each other.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Fehr will shoot down the make whole concession from the NHL IMO.
Most likely. And he will let the players know that they should be outraged about it for one reason or another and then we will have a bunch of angry tweets from the players , Walsh etc.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I dont see urgencey or real progress. Its not like theyve been meeting all week and are on the verge of completion. Theyve been sitting around for two weeks doing nothing of consequence.
Well the fact that they are meeting outside of normal business hours is urgency. That hasn't happened yet (not face to face at least).

Old
11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Yes the NHL has made such a horrible life for these NHLers. The highest paid professional hockey league, best hotels, trainers, gyms and equipment. Man these players are getting screwed over. On top of that, they only on average make 2.5 million a year. What a tough life. Wish i could be this hard done by.
Again, an over the top emotional statement from someone who is just pissed off that these entertainers get paid based on what he and others are willing to put out. If you don't like the product and the amount of money spent on it, don't buy it. There's no hooks in your ass or trees in your way.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
You're right - in this day and age how would the NHPLA contact the players...it's not like any of them own a cellphone or have the capability to interact on a variety of social medias. Heck, the NHLPA probably doesn't even have a centralized email account that all the players have instant access to for receiving information..
Yeah, because all 700 players are going to be checking their email every 5 minutes to see if anything's changed.

And I'm sure the all 239 owners are doing that exact same thing.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:28 PM
RealKrug47*

Why do i always see Bill Daly's name? Are they really putting this in the hands of a guy who opens envelopes and put bingo balls in a lottery machine?

Old
11-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Its not really a spin..

If some players are off earning money in Europe while others can't get jobs there, then no, they aren't unified..
No, it's a total non sequitur. What does the fact that some players are in Europe have to do with the unity of the union? This is the 21st century, they can participate, remain informed and have input from anywhere on Earth.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:30 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruWINS View Post
Why do i always see Bill Daly's name? Are they really putting this in the hands of a guy who opens envelopes and put bingo balls in a lottery machine?
He's also the architect of the previous CBA

Old
11-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you are aware that his role at the NHL is much more important than that.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
No, it's a total non sequitur. What does the fact that some players are in Europe have to do with the unity of the union? This is the 21st century, they can participate, remain informed and have input from anywhere on Earth.
I didn't say they couldn't remain informed, but when you are supposedly part of a union and some members are off earning a salary while others are sitting on their hands, it does not scream unity at all.

Players like Bobby Ryan have earned much respect by me during this lockout.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
He's also the architect of the previous CBA
And Bettman's heir apparent. (Please let this be true...)

And probably the most well-liked suit involved in this.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:34 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Not sure what Mr Daly makes per year but it's been reported that Mr Bettman went from about $2 million to $8 million dollars since the last lock-out. That easily makes him a number 1 center, winger or defenceman on one of the better teams in the league. If Daly is the number 2 center and he pulls this off, then they should perhaps consider moving him up to number 1. At least he doesn't run around with a perpetual scowl on his face and that's got to count for something.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Yeah, because all 700 players are going to be checking their email every 5 minutes to see if anything's changed.

And I'm sure the all 239 owners are doing that exact same thing.
NHLPA types "the league has agreed to cover the make whole clause from their percentage"...NHPA stops typing. They then hit all send to the 700 email addresses that the players have provided as union employees and the message is instantly sent to all players...

They aren't checking their email regularly? Good grief, after all the twitters and comments made by the players you believe this group doesnt' check their emails? Phone pings indicating a message from the NHLPA, you believe they don't check it? If not, then really are those players actually concerned about the ongoing CBA negotiations. I guess most didn't even know that the winter classic was cancelled, because they may not have bothered to check their phones. Heck, some of the players may not even know that there is a lockout. Clearly they don't check their cellphones while sitting around waiting for the season to begin.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Confucius

Quote:
I didn't say they couldn't remain informed, but when you are supposedly part of a union and some members are off earning a salary while others are sitting on their hands, it does not scream unity at all.

Not at all true, I've been involved in work stoppages and many fellow employees find other sources of income, nobody has ever been bitter about it.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:

Since this is a lockout and not a strike, it's entirely meaningless statement.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:37 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Again, an over the top emotional statement from someone who is just pissed off that these entertainers get paid based on what he and others are willing to put out. If you don't like the product and the amount of money spent on it, don't buy it. There's no hooks in your ass or trees in your way.
It's always dangerous to assume that because you read something emotionally, the person who wrote was just as emotionally invested.

I agree with his sentiments and I'm of the firm belief that these entertainers should be paid as much as the market will allow them to be paid. The fact, in my eyes, is that for people who do pretty well out of life, a lot of these entertainers come off as very whiny and needy, where as you'd be hoping that people in their position seemed to be enjoying themselves a bit more

Old
11-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Since this is a lockout and not a strike, it's entirely meaningless statement.
Lockout/Strike means nothing.. it might as well be a strike with the negotiation (or lack there of) from the players so far. Also the fact they straight REFUSED to discuss a new CBA when the owners wanted to talk last year.

The fact that they wanted to play under the past CBA for another year is meaningless. We know what happened the last time a Fehr-led union played while talking out a new CBA.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Not at all true, I've been involved in work stoppages and many fellow employees find other sources of income, nobody has ever been bitter about it.
Still doesn't show unity.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:45 PM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
So I've been pretty much out of the loop for a week due to the hurricane, just got power back up after five days in the dark and the Winter Classic is canceled. But some new optimism? And so if a deal is reached soon, is the Winter Classic uncanceled?
Anyone? Is it gone for good? I just can't see them starting the season (if these upcoming talks quickly lead to a deal) in mid-November and not holding the WC.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:48 PM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
Anyone? Is it gone for good? I just can't see them starting the season (if these upcoming talks quickly lead to a deal) in mid-November and not holding the WC.
All of november has already been cancelled. If they start soon, December is the earliest. The WC is cancelled even if they were to agree to a deal tomorrow.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Im not complaining what they make, nor should a player or a poster here be saying how much the players are getting screwed over by a CBA that has them being paid in the top 1 percentile in the world.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Lockout/Strike means nothing.. it might as well be a strike with the negotiation (or lack there of) from the players so far. Also the fact they straight REFUSED to discuss a new CBA when the owners wanted to talk last year.
Sure it does. It means everything if you understand what the words mean.

The PA and the owners could have started meeting in 2005 and nothing would have changed. Another meaningless talking point.

Quote:
The fact that they wanted to play under the past CBA for another year is meaningless. We know what happened the last time a Fehr-led union played while talking out a new CBA.
Oh look more strike fear mongering. Understand what linkage is and then maybe you'll be able to understand why this is a nonsense argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
How long do emails take to send to Russia? Must take weeks I assume.
As mentioned, emails still need to be checked for the person to get the contents within. Sending an email does not mean an instant transmission to the receivers brain.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Doug19

Sure it's been said a lot of times, but players dragging the lockout for the betterment of their future is counter productive because if another lockout severely hurts the game, less revenue is going to be generated by the league, thus teams are going to have less and less to spend on players contracts. The logic of the players is baffling, this is there lively hood, while for the owners it's a little toy. I used to think hockey players were special and humble, turns out they are just morons. No surprise when most of them barely have a high school education I guess.

Closed Thread