HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Get Well Soon Brandon! Houston Aeros @ OKC Barons, Friday 11/2 6PM MDT

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
nullterm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
If true, that sucks, but that's almost better than a concussion.

he will heal up and be fine sooner than people expect and may even be ready for the NHL if they start by the new year.
There's no almost. Better a collarbone than a concussion any day. Will be back to new, concussions you never know and risk of worse injury increases.

But yeah, still sucks. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

I feel terrible about those injuries. I don't really see Oilers fans celebrating it though, the vast majority seem to just be concerned about the guys that got hurt. Hopefully Wild fans come take a look at this thread before they judge our entire fanbase, we're not out for blood here.

Anyway, it's not about the fans. Hopefully Brodin and Granlund have speedy recoveries. Really feel bad about it all, but that's hockey sometimes.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:15 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
There's no almost. Better a collarbone than a concussion any day.
Well, there are always those "concussions" where it looks bad and then they end up playing in a week and never look back.

Other than that though I agree, a concussion is unpredictable and potentially very bad, so glad he doesn't appear to have one.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
There's no almost. Better a collarbone than a concussion any day. Will be back to new, concussions you never know and risk of worse injury increases.

But yeah, still sucks. Here's to a speedy recovery.
Agreed. This shouldn't have much of an impact on his career in the long run. Hopefully it's not actually broken though

Old
Jooked

This is 100% on Brodin and his partner. It's unfortunate Taylor hit him in the head/shoulder. Really it is.

My view:

Prior to the hit, the puck goes by Brodin. Brodin takes a quick look to assess the situation and realizes his d partner has played the play completely wrong (or thought he had winger support). Rather then retrieve the puck he's parked himself by the goalie looking at Brodin - the complete opposite direction the puck is going. Brodin realizes his partner just screwed up and the guy coming into capitalize is no other then Taylor Hall.

He quickly ups his skating to speed to chase down the puck behind the net. At same time his partner makes another bone head play and takes away the inside lane by the net. This is the Kiss of Death on the play for two reasons: 1) Brodin only has one lane - the boards. 2) Taylor Hall is in the blind spot caused by his partner.

Brodin plays his only option and continues to pursue the puck along the boards. He completely misjudges how little time he has just as Taylor Hall enters his field of vision.

The final mistake is misreading Hall's intent. He plays to the tendency that Hall chases the puck more often then the hit. He tries to make a desperate push at the puck and puts himself in a awkward position. Hall's already exploding through him at this point.

Old
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Collarbone also means we shouldn't have to hear about any unnecessary suspension for Hall.

Now the question is: which shoulder did Hall throw the hit with? Please tell me it was the one that was just surgically repaired.
Left shoulder. Yup

Old
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

In related news, Roman Horak has 10 goals in 9 and a half games? How does that happen?

Old
11-02-2012, 10:18 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Was it the Aeros guy who tried to take out Schultz's knee?

Old
11-02-2012, 10:20 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
In related news, Roman Horak has 10 goals in 9 and a half games? How does that happen?
Luck. Insane shooting percentage.

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Was it the Aeros guy who tried to take out Schultz's knee?
Neither guy that got hurt is known as being cheap. That was Bulmer, he's a disturber and was doing his thing tonight with a full cage on.

frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hall as always was going 100MPH and wanted that puck, Brodin gingerly went for it and put himself in a position where he could be hurt. I doubt that Hall meant to injure him there, but Brodin has to be more decisive there and either go all out for it or let Hall get it and defend him afterwards IMO.
You know what's funny? Hall did the exact same thing to Gardiner when we were playing against the Leafs...difference was Gardiner didn't lean forward and survived.

It's actually refreshing to see the Oilers laying the hits rather than receiving them these days.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:24 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Neither guy that got hurt is known as being cheap. That was Bulmer, he's a disturber and was doing his thing tonight with a full cage on.
What's the story with the full cage.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Who cares what Wild fans think?

Let them be the ones that sink to the level of wishing injuries on others and just laugh at them while they freak out.

Injuries suck, Oilers fans know this very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden88 View Post
upon second review it seems that brodin was simply more focused on the puck than hall. could be a victim of tunnel vision but i would say he simply underestimated halls intent
Well said.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:27 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
He tried to take out Schultz's knee last game, so Teubert literally beat his face in.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:27 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
He was wearing it because of:

Old
11-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Tough luck for Granlund. Nothing malicious there, just fell awkwardly. Looked serious, but hopefully he'll get by with nothing worse than a strain or something.

The Hall hit wasn't head hunting at all either. Looked like your typical NHL'er(hit hard, finish checks) vs rookie(thinks he has lots of time, under estimates the damage his opponents can do, inexperienced at protecting himself) that you see every NHL season, it just one of the cases where it resulted in injury instead of bruised ego.

Good to see Hall confident in throwing checks though, hope he doesn't get discouraged and lose the edge over this insident.

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

What did everyone think of Zahn tonight? I thought that he was an upgrade on Ringwald (not saying much) but I expected him to be a bit more physical.

Any word on Marincin? If he's out for any extended period of time and already poor defense gets WAY worse.

Old
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
That's because us mods cleaned up this thread already. There are classless comments made from both fanbases, the sooner we stop acting like our fanbase is 100% innocent the better the chance that we don't fall off our high horse and get hurt
Ahh, gotcha, didnt realize that...dunno why any Oiler fan would actually be happy about another teams' young guns getting hurt since we know better than anyone how that feels. Like someone else said, i think the only reason he got 5 and a game was because of the injury. It was good to see them able to kill that off (and pretty easily too, not many chances given up).

And on another note, after Houston tied the game, i thought for sure that they were going to win it, but it was awesome to see that shift that produced the winning goal, that line (finally) dominated an entire shift...also didnt see that 1st 2 goals, really want to see the hilites of those goals.

Edit: oh yeah, and Fedun's goal, wtf was that offside all about, it wasnt even close, same goes foe the empty netter (even though that one didnt matter), did they get these linemen from the WWE? I couldnt stop saying wtf after Fedun's goal. Anybody else see the puck go outside the line on that one?

Last edited by TimeForAnOilChange: 11-02-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM
40oz

Has there been any update on Granlund?

Can't imagine how bad this sucks for Wild fans...

Old
11-02-2012, 10:38 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Stopped watching after Harski's goal because I thought a) the game was in the bag and b) there wasnt much intensity. Wrong on both counts haha. Tomorrow's game should be interesting.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:40 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
What did everyone think of Zahn tonight? I thought that he was an upgrade on Ringwald (not saying much) but I expected him to be a bit more physical.

Any word on Marincin? If he's out for any extended period of time and already poor defense gets WAY worse.
I agree on Zahn, but I think we need to see a couple games at least.
he might need a bit of time to acclimate.

What happened to Marincin? I didn't see anything, and no one else seemed to either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Has there been any update on Granlund?

Can't imagine how bad this sucks for Wild fans...
I don't have to imagine, we have seen this all too often ourselves.

I hope Granlund and Brodin aren't too seriously injured. I don't think either were intentionally injured, but there's no joy to take in their being hurt.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:42 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He was wearing it because of:

I know about the beating he got, but was he injured and had to wear the cage or was he wearing it to protect himself from another beating.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:45 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know about the beating he got, but was he injured and had to wear the cage or was he wearing it to protect himself from another beating.
His face got injured pretty badly by the beating, hence the cage.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Why didn't Nuge play? I was expecting the kid line with Schultz.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Why didn't Nuge play? I was expecting the kid line with Schultz.
For now they aren't playing the big 3 at the same time. RNH and Ebs play tomorrow and the RNH and Hall on Sunday assuming that Hall isn't suspended.

Closed Thread