HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 11:32 PM
MAK19

vCash: 500
Random question, why is Nugent-Hopkins eligible for the AHL? Shouldn't he be in junior?

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:32 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Unbelievable is the word I would use as well after seeing him with the Flames last year.

Maybe he figured everything out this summer?
Definitely surprised me. I think a lot of it is a strength thing. One of his major issues last season was just being physically outmatched by opposing players. I think he's always had a good head on his shoulders in terms of offensive positioning, but he just didn't have the capability to get into scoring areas. His play in the AHL indicates this may have changed to a notable extent.

In watching a few of the games, it's definitely not just luck. He's driving the crap out of the net, and he's easily one of the most effective players on the Heat.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Random question, why is Nugent-Hopkins eligible for the AHL? Shouldn't he be in junior?
full season in the NHL, it is similar to Patrice Bergeron during the last lockout.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:35 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
full season in the NHL, it is similar to Patrice Bergeron during the last lockout.
ok... but is there a rule that says if you have so many NHL games you can play?

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Can anyone attribute Roman Horak's early success to anything? I imagine it must be a combination of timing, skill, teammates and luck, but is there anything particular to add? His goal count is just ridiculous.

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
Can anyone attribute Roman Horak's early success to anything? I imagine it must be a combination of timing, skill, teammates and luck, but is there anything particular to add? His goal count is just ridiculous.
his #1 asset as a player is that he is a sponge, he absorbs everything that the coaching staff, veterans and management says to him. Almost all of his goals have come from within 10 feet of the net, he is not afraid to put himself in harms way to earn a scoring chance.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
ok... but is there a rule that says if you have so many NHL games you can play?
not 100% sure about the rule to be honest, I just know its happening now and has happened before so there has to be a rule allowing it somewhere.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

if the Heat kill the rest of the current penalty kill they will be 39 for 40 on the year with 3 short handed goals for. Unbelievable dominance while being a man down.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:00 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
if the Heat kill the rest of the current penalty kill they will be 39 for 40 on the year with 3 short handed goals for. Unbelievable dominance while being a man down.
No one cares about whats going on in Abbottsford after what happened in OKC tonight I'm sure.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
No one cares about whats going on in Abbottsford after what happened in OKC tonight I'm sure.
Granlund got hurt on a fluke play and Brodin by a clean hit, it sucks for Houston but time to move on and enjoy a great game in Abbotsford.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:08 AM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
You =/= everyone.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post

So fast

Look at the two players colliding at :08. Funny stuff.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Tomorrow is going to be interesting...

Edit: I refuse to believe it's an accident that the best prospect in Wild gets hit dirty in the same game.
Lol?

Both were unfortunate plays.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
He has an unsustainable 30% shooting percentage. He's never been a goal scorer. I'd be shocked if he hits 30. Think he can be a good depth player though.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:23 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
He has an unsustainable 30% shooting percentage. He's never been a goal scorer. I'd be shocked if he hits 30. Think he can be a good depth player though.
His stats from his junior days back home indicate he's always had good goal scoring capabilities. Not goal-per-game abilities of course, but as someone who has actually watched him play I'd be shocked if he didn't hit 30 given a full AHL season. His knack for escaping defenders in front of the net and reading where the puck is going to be has been nothing short of astounding, and he simply doesn't miss the net.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
His stats from his junior days back home indicate he's always had good goal scoring capabilities. Not goal-per-game abilities of course, but as someone who has actually watched him play I'd be shocked if he didn't hit 30 given a full AHL season. His knack for escaping defenders in front of the net and reading where the puck is going to be has been nothing short of astounding, and he simply doesn't miss the net.
He wasn't even a big goal scorer in Juniors. He is primarily a mixture of both, but closer to a playmaker than a goal scorer.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:33 AM
duul

vCash: 169
Brodin broke his collarbone. Anybody who has played the game at even a 1/2 pace of what that hit was will know Hall was finishing his check and Brodin did literally nothing to brace himself and stuck his arm out to poke the puck away. The people claiming Hall made a dirty hit are simply delusional and I feel for all of you if that is your actual understanding of how the game should work.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:37 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Brodin broke his collarbone. Anybody who has played the game at even a 1/2 pace of what that hit was will know Hall was finishing his check and Brodin did literally nothing to brace himself and stuck his arm out to poke the puck away. The people claiming Hall made a dirty hit are simply delusional and I feel for all of you if that is your actual understanding of how the game should work.
I don't know about that. The youtube video isn't great but I wouldn't be shocked if Taylor is sat down a few games.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:39 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
He wasn't even a big goal scorer in Juniors. He is primarily a mixture of both, but closer to a playmaker than a goal scorer.
He also played on a line with Ryan Howse who was a very gifted goal scorer in junior, which made Horak more of a playmaker.

I always watched Chilliwack games when I could to keep tabs on Howse, but I always came away more impressed with Horak. He's always been an impressive and very talented player.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:41 AM
duul

vCash: 169
Quote:
I don't know about that. The youtube video isn't great but I wouldn't be shocked if Taylor is sat down a few games.
He was going for a decent hit on their defenceman which is what any player should be doing on the forecheck to make their defence start coughing up the puck from being scared. Brodin had so much time to look up and see him but either chose not to or thought Hall wouldn't try to hit him. Brodin was going for the puck and Hall hit him from the side into the boards. Even if Hall's shoulder hit him in the head that is still a clean hit. Hall was all shoulder so unless he hit him from behind, no matter what it is a clean hit. Brodin clearly pokes at the puck which was just a silly play because he made himself vulnerable and Hall took advantage to try and send a message. Great, clean hockey hit. If Brodin wasn't injured it would have been a great hit and still is although unfortunately Brodin's collarbone broke.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:45 AM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Granlund's injury was just plain weird. Hope he's okay. Knees are a killer.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:35 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
If he broke his collarbone it pretty much rules out a headshot. The primary point of contact almost had to be Brodin's shoulder.

It was a tough play and I feel bad for Brodin but he really can't put himself in that position.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Uhh a guy skating for a hit is dirty now? He shoulda glided to Brodin could wheel around and make a play
Isn't that charging? Hall took, what? 4 strides to make the hit?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Isn't that charging? Hall took, what? 4 strides to make the hit?
There is a difference between skating into a player and skating hard to get into a position to remove a player from the puck. There is nothing wrong with skating at top speed to get to where you want to go...and even if you do skate right into a player. You usually have to launch yourself or leave your feet to get called for charging.

I really hope we don't get to the point where we're counting strides after every hit. What will the penalty be? Traveling?

The reality of the situation is that Hall didn't hit Brodin in the head. He didn't leave his feet. He didn't elbow him. He didn't blindside him. The only thing wrong with the hit was that Brodin got hurt. It's very unfortunate but sometimes clean hits lead to injuries. Hitting a player very hard is not against the rules.

Edit: Also, anyone who has seen Hall's stride at full speed knows he wasn't even close to skating hard(by his standards) into Brodin.

Last edited by Wheatking: 11-03-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:33 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

I'm really not seeing the maliciousness of the Hall hit. It just seems to be more unfortunate than anything else. Hope Brodin is ok, I've got a mild man crush on him.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote