HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-2-Post Challenge: Dion Phaneuf

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2012, 07:37 AM
  #26
Inconceivable
Registered User
 
Inconceivable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Damn you Apple!!!

Hmm somehow I was able to watch it on my iphone

Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
  #27
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,637
vCash: 100
Well let's hope the lockout gives Phaneuf some time to up this....accuracy of his .

But still would be good to even see him missing the net long as it meant we had some hockey.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:00 AM
  #28
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,548
vCash: 500
Damn excellent shots. However it sucks that there is no season for it.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:17 AM
  #29
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,812
vCash: 500
Sweet shots, but I guess we now know the reason why he misses the net as often as he does

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:22 AM
  #30
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector
 
BudMaster17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Greece
Posts: 1,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
Why is Maclennan called Noodles?
Because he is so notoriously cheap that if he takes you out for dinner it's going to be for a cup of noodles.

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:05 PM
  #31
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
Except that early on in his NHL career, Dion had one of the most accurate point shots in the league.
It's a shame it isn't earlier on in his NHL career.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:16 PM
  #32
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,038
vCash: 76
Phaneuf can have accuracy. When his shot is on, it is on and very accurate and can be great shots leading to his higher shooting percentage.

What seems to be the problem though, when his shots aren't on, they are sometimes way over the net and wide. This often causes the play to be over.

Would be interesting to see if he more often just tried to get the puck through the lanes and at the net, if it would result in more goals on the plays due to tips and rebounds.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
  #33
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Phaneuf can have accuracy. When his shot is on, it is on and very accurate and can be great shots leading to his higher shooting percentage.

What seems to be the problem though, when his shots aren't on, they are sometimes way over the net and wide. This often causes the play to be over.

Would be interesting to see if he more often just tried to get the puck through the lanes and at the net, if it would result in more goals on the plays due to tips and rebounds.
JE and I were speculation it might have been an underlying injury that really put him off. The season before, however he seemed better now.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:28 PM
  #34
Kirkpatrick
Registered User
 
Kirkpatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
JE and I were speculation it might have been an underlying injury that really put him off. The season before, however he seemed better now.
It did look like he was battling some injuries last year, maybe around the ribs? Though this is just from watching the broadcasts

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:46 PM
  #35
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Dion's a very good player, the problem lies in the fact that he's not captain material at all.

For a real contender he'd be a very good #3 or even #2 d man.

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:54 PM
  #36
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,038
vCash: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
JE and I were speculation it might have been an underlying injury that really put him off. The season before, however he seemed better now.
I hope so because that shot of his just aiming it low through some legs on the net can be very lethal. Not only for the opposing teams ankles but also for tips and rebounds that could be put in the net by someone like JVR who could hang around the front of a net.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:18 PM
  #37
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
This video is basically shows why Dion is scoring less than in Calgary. He's very predictable in his shooting, he shoots top right because he has no other angle when he loads up on the right.
I disagree, the main difference is the league, not Dion. Pretty much EVERYONE was scoring more in the first few years after the lockout, partly because defences had not adapted to the new rules, but mostly because there were WAY MORE POWER PLAYS. Immediately post lockout refs were very, very strict about calling obstruction penalties (hooking, holding, interference), but they've been slowly letting their standards slip every year since. In 2005/06 there were 2545 power play goals (1.03 per team per game), compared to just 1408 power play goals last year (0.57 per team per game). Power play goals have nearly halved for the league as a whole, so it's not surprising the Phaneuf's power play goals have roughly halved as well.

Phaneuf's big goal scoring years:
05/06 - 4 ESG, 16 PPG
06/07 - 4 ESG, 13 PPG
07/08 - 7 ESG, 10 PPG

Last season:
11/12 - 5 ESG, 7 PPG

The main difference between last season's 12 goals and the 17-20 goals he was scoring early in his career was simply PP time. Less penalties being called means less PP time, and thus less PP goals. Last season Dion averaged 3:33 mins/game on the PP, while the first 3 seasons of his career he averaged 5:02-5:34 mins/game on the PP, that's a big difference.

Same goes for his overall points. Last season he put up 22 ESP, his career high is 27 ESP (in 06/07, when he put up 27 ESP and 33 PPP). He scored almost as many ESP last season as he ever has, the main difference is simply fewer PPP due to less PP time.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:24 PM
  #38
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,806
vCash: 500
Re: his accuracy in general, I think it's fine. He takes a lot of shots from far out, it's harder to be accurate on those. He also tends to go top cheese, I'm sure if he just wanted to get the puck on net with low shots he'd almost never miss the net, but butterfly goalies cover the bottom of the net very well, so he tries to pick the corners. Some guys shoot low hoping for deflections and/or rebounds, other guys shoot high trying to score with the initial shot, Dion definitely belongs to that second group. I think there's merit to both strategies, if you have a weaker shot you should definitely be going for tips/rebounds, but if you have a cannon it's not a bad idea to shoot to score, even from the point. His accuracy is fine, but he's going to miss the net a decent amount anyway simply because he's trying to pick corners from long distance.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:10 PM
  #39
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
the problem lies in the fact that he's not captain material at all.
The things that make a player a good captain are completely unseen to us as fans. You have no basis upon which to say this.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 01:07 AM
  #40
Donato
#BarSouth
 
Donato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Re: his accuracy in general, I think it's fine. He takes a lot of shots from far out, it's harder to be accurate on those. He also tends to go top cheese, I'm sure if he just wanted to get the puck on net with low shots he'd almost never miss the net, but butterfly goalies cover the bottom of the net very well, so he tries to pick the corners. Some guys shoot low hoping for deflections and/or rebounds, other guys shoot high trying to score with the initial shot, Dion definitely belongs to that second group. I think there's merit to both strategies, if you have a weaker shot you should definitely be going for tips/rebounds, but if you have a cannon it's not a bad idea to shoot to score, even from the point. His accuracy is fine, but he's going to miss the net a decent amount anyway simply because he's trying to pick corners from long distance.

its an old kind of mentality (no offence to anyone here) to just try and hit the net. In the old days you saw players slap the puck along the ice and score. Never now though ( don't mention toskala). The goalies are a lot bigger so you have to pick the corners. Like the video said.. phaneuf tends to shoot right beside the head on the glove side, its a good places to shoot seeing as no goalie wants to make a save on that bullet with his mask.. and its almost impossible to get the glove on that.

Reminds me of a guy i play with.. amazing player, should of been drafted to the nhl.. Very hard shot, but he misses the net or hits bar quite often trying to pick corners, simply because just shooting on net doesn't work very often anymore.

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:55 PM
  #41
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
Why is Maclennan called Noodles?
wondered that myself...but also surprised that he still has the balls to stand in front of Dion Phaneuf slapshots. Im sure he is out of shape and has lost something in his reflexes. He is nuts.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:02 PM
  #42
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
The things that make a player a good captain are completely unseen to us as fans. You have no basis upon which to say this.
Thats so untrue for the most part. So just by watching Leaf captains of the past you dont know if they were good? Can anybody really question Mats, Dougie, Wendel or if you're old enough Darryl's capataincies? No chance. None. Vaive..although he was a very good player...perhaps. Rob Ramage? Great captain? ummmmmmm probably not. What do you mean no basis? Just watch the freaking game man. Can you tell who is not a leader on the ice? Really? So you really can't say if Alexander Semin would be a good captain? How about Sean Avery? Above all, a good captain is respected by his team mates as well as his opponents. A good captain steps up when the team needs a boost. A good captain carries a team. I think you can see that as a fan. I really do. BTW, someone who doesn't make a good captain has no bearing on his ability as a player.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:08 PM
  #43
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
wondered that myself...but also surprised that he still has the balls to stand in front of Dion Phaneuf slapshots. Im sure he is out of shape and has lost something in his reflexes. He is nuts.
I was really hoping Dion hit him in the family jewels with at least one of those shots

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
  #44
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Thats so untrue for the most part. So just by watching Leaf captains of the past you dont know if they were good? Can anybody really question Mats, Dougie, Wendel or if you're old enough Darryl's capataincies? No chance. None. Vaive..although he was a very good player...perhaps. Rob Ramage? Great captain? ummmmmmm probably not. What do you mean no basis? Just watch the freaking game man. Can you tell who is not a leader on the ice? Really? So you really can't say if Alexander Semin would be a good captain? How about Sean Avery? Above all, a good captain is respected by his team mates as well as his opponents. A good captain steps up when the team needs a boost. A good captain carries a team. I think you can see that as a fan. I really do. BTW, someone who doesn't make a good captain has no bearing on his ability as a player.
Oh, so being a captain only has to do with your on ice play? I wish someone told me this 25 years ago...

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:01 PM
  #45
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
This video is basically shows why Dion is scoring less than in Calgary. He's very predictable in his shooting, he shoots top right because he has no other angle when he loads up on the right.
He's scoring less because he mostly misses the net or blasts it off the shinpads of the guy 5 feet in front of him.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:42 PM
  #46
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Oh, so being a captain only has to do with your on ice play? I wish someone told me this 25 years ago...
are you joking? 25 years in the dark you poor soul.

And no a captain has to do with playing on any surface...hardwood, grass, artificial turf....wherever. What do you think it means? The guy who throws the best parties?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:53 PM
  #47
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
are you joking? 25 years in the dark you poor soul.

And no a captain has to do with playing on any surface...hardwood, grass, artificial turf....wherever. What do you think it means? The guy who throws the best parties?
My point was there is more to being a captain than just what the fans see.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:25 AM
  #48
achtungbaby
Registered User
 
achtungbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
My point was there is more to being a captain than just what the fans see.
And that is? I'm not letting you off your previous comment that easily.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:37 AM
  #49
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
Dion's a very good player, the problem lies in the fact that he's not captain material at all.

For a real contender he'd be a very good #3 or even #2 d man.
I have to disagree. On how many teams in the league is Phaneuf a #3 d-man, 2 or 3. He is a #1 or an elite #2.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:25 AM
  #50
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I have to disagree. On how many teams in the league is Phaneuf a #3 d-man, 2 or 3. He is a #1 or an elite #2.
No kidding. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any #2D in the league who brings as much to the team as Phaneuf does.
  • Used in all situations, and you can rely on him for 30 min games if you need that much out of him.
  • He is gritty, 7th in the league among defensemen in hits, and he hits like a truck (unlike Schenn's rubbing people out along the boards).
  • Gets under opponents' skin.
  • He was 8th in Shots on net among defensemen last season, with a decent accuracy.
  • He can carry the puck up the ice without much trouble.
  • Pretty decent in his own zone
I wonder which #2D around the league people would rather have over Phaneuf. #3D, riight. There's probably around 10 defensemen around the league I'd rather have playing #1D over him. Could you guys even imagine a Gunnarsson-Karlsson top pairing, with Reimer in net? Yeah, no thx.

As for his accuracy, people will take any excuse to bash him. Out of the 293 shots he took last season, 202 hit the net (68.94% accuracy). That's pretty much on average for defensemen who take tons of shots on net.

Of the top 30 "shoot first" defensemen, these are some folks who had worse accuracy than Phaneuf last season:
  • Bieksa
  • Weber
  • Lidstrom
  • Doughty
  • Burns
  • Wideman
  • Yandle
  • Keith
  • Pietrangelo
  • Byfuglien
  • Bogosian
Only in Leafs land would idiots criticize most of these players for their poor accuracy. Phaneuf's accuracy is just fine.


Last edited by 4evaBlue: 11-03-2012 at 04:36 AM.
4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.