HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Murphy to the KHL

Old
05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 500
Huh. Didn't expect that, but I completely understand it. Play at a higher level of competition with a higher salary, which is better for him both monetarily, skill-wise, and even just in terms of enjoyment playing the game. Might screw up the hurricanes organization's plans a bit, but really, why would he care all that much about that?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:07 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Has anyone ever had a lasting career NHL SV% of 1.000 and a GAA of 0.00? Because if Murphy never plays in the NHL again, that's what he'll have.
And he'll have the one loss with no wins to go with it. It will truly be the strangest stat line in NHL history.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Bobby Sanguinetti ‏@Sangs2224

Best of luck to @MichaelMurphy31 in Russia. Think it's time to pick up Rosetta stone and learn some russian. Or a cook book.
Sanguinetti to KHL (E4)

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Sanguinetti to KHL (E4)
Rossetta stone is amazing, fully reccomend it to anyone, it's how I learned German, and am learning Korean.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Rossetta stone is amazing, fully reccomend it to anyone, it's how I learned German, and am learning Korean.
I've heard good things about the Pimsleur programs as well, not sure which of the two programs is better. Though Rosetta Stone is certainly the better marketed and easier to find of the two.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I've heard good things about the Pimsleur programs as well, not sure which of the two programs is better. Though Rosetta Stone is certainly the better marketed and easier to find of the two.
It's definetley not cheap but it's worth it, I don't know much about Pimsleur, but I do know that when my buddy moved to Sweden with me for a year, he went from not knowing a single word, to could handle day to day exchanges and basic conversation inside 4 months on Rosetta Stone.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Going to the second best league in the world to start and prove that you're legit is not the worst thing in the world for Murphy. If or when he comes back, he will either be coming back as the backup or he will have a place to play in Russia for better money. It's not a bad career move at all for him.
Yeah, that's my line of thinking as well. While I didn't expect this (although I didn't have any expectations as I really didn't give much thought to Murphy), it's why I said in hindsight, it's not overly surprising or disappointing to me (even if Rutherford and Francis are surprised / disappointed).

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:04 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOpie View Post
Grapes = Sour!

Really dude, don't let your emotions run away with you. His 37 games were much more of a complete body of work than Muse's 13 or 14. When Muse was sent back down to FL, it tells you what the professionals thought as well. Peter's stretch at the end of the season was more about showcasing him (and probably that Murphy was still hurting some). Quite frankly he was the man in Charlotte and it was his job to lose. This gives him a chance to hone his game against superior competition. I view this as a positive for Murphy and if JR and Ronnie can put their egos and hurt feelings aside, they will see its good for his development as well.

And tell me how this can come as a surprise to management. They've got to be in touch with these guys. They have to know that offers are being bandied about.

Unfortunately, this probably means that we use yet another late round pick for a goal tender.
How does this have anything--at all--to do with "sour grapes"? I have nothing invested in Murphy, Peters or Muse. I don't like any one more than the other. I'm simply stating facts.

Muse played 15 games, so what? He still posted phenomenal numbers, and was by far the best goaltender Charlotte had last year. His demotion had zero to do with skill and everything to do with contracts. He posted over half as many wins as Murphy in far less than half as many starts. Peters posted some stellar numbers himself way back in November, when he was named AHL goaltender of the month.

Also, the NHL trade deadline was Feb. 27. Mike Murphy played in exactly 8 of the Checkers' final 20 games, getting yanked in 2. There's a reason Murphy sat the final 4 games of the season, and it's not because he was "The Man". It's probably because he posted 3 wins in those 8 games since the deadline, while Peters posted 3 in those last 4 games.

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't *bad*, last season, nor even mediocre. But:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvUwqCYFsmQ&t=0m20s

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
yunost

In case anyone is interested:

Spartak Moscow is a team in a 'rebuild'. They had their worst season so-far in the KHL(since 08) and especially had many goaltending problems. They haven't had a consistent goaltender, and if you remember they even signed Hasek at an older age(he did quite well). This past season they had 3 decent goaltenders in their mid 20's with the best one getting signed by Ak Bars. And one young goalie from their academy who is a few years from being a KHL regular.
The goalies they have for the 12/13 season is one of the 3, Borisov who is decent but still improving and not a lock in for the number 1 spot. And of course the youngster that they will throw a few games maybe if somebody gets pulled(presuming they dont trade him).

Therefore it is safe for me to say that Murphy, at the very least will share the number 1 spot with Borisov, although I have a hunch he will be the number one.

The signing of Murphy in specific, as opposed to any of the other goalies available in the AHL, NHL or Euro leagues(Finnish players have been going to the KHL in the masses lately), is because he is young and has alot of potential. As I said Spartak is undergoing upgrades and want to create a stable and long term team after their coach and many good player left. Again, especially with their record of inconsistency and constant change with the net minders, I feel like they have the long term in mind for Murphy and would want to see him with Spartak for a long time, making him the franchise goalie. That being the reason to get a goalie at the start of his career.

He will be constantly put to the test as Spartak is a lower end team in the standings so it will be difficult for him to face opponents such as SKA, Salavat, Ak bars, Dynamo, Metallurg, Avangard, etc. It will certainly be an interesting season to follow his progress.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:05 PM
wallym

Doesn't seem that terrible. The relationship with the Canes being hurt is unfortunate. But he'll get paid more. He'll get more minutes. He'll face tougher competition.

With 4 guys competing for the #3 spot on the depth chart, having two starting overseas seems to have some definite pluses, with the only minus being if one of the two makes a big leap in skill, and Cam gets hurt.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:06 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Well um, dang. What a shocker.

Oh well, best of luck to Murph-dog.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Fumble

Found this to be a nice read:
http://thegoalieguild.com/2012/05/mu...s-in-carolina/

I've been a huge Murphy fan since seeing him play in the OHL, but I think he's being a bit of a d!ck with this move. The Canes were paying him decent AHL money ($65,000) and I'm sure he would have gotten a raise this year. Also, lets not forget the Canes also gave him a $235,000 signing bonus!!!
So he's averaged atleast $100k for the last 3 years.

To me, when you take a large signing bonus you should stick around for atleast one of your RFA years.

I'd like to hear how his contract talks were going with Canes. Is it possible the Canes now offer him an NHL contract and uses the out clause from the KHL and thus never even plays in KHL??

Last edited by Fumble: 05-22-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:41 AM
caniac247

So if Peters is a UFA, he can go anywhere he wants. Wouldn't that have made Murphy the undisputed #1 in Charlotte if Peters did leave?

I mean I can understand him wanting to have more challenge and better pay, but there was a big possibility he would have been the guy in Charlotte.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
So if Peters is a UFA, he can go anywhere he wants. Wouldn't that have made Murphy the undisputed #1 in Charlotte if Peters did leave?

I mean I can understand him wanting to have more challenge and better pay, but there was a big possibility he would have been the guy in Charlotte.
Heck, he'd even have an outside shot at being the NHL backup. Maybe he had a problem w/ the Checkers' coaching staff?.. I don't know, a confusing move, I hope he doesn't stay there long-term/any more than 2 years.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post

This is the part that makes me think Andersen is about to sign. So instead of being the undisputed #1, in comes Andersen to challenge him. If so, I can understand going overseas for a little while to make more money and get more playing time.

If Andersen is not coming over to sign, this move surprises me a lot.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:05 AM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
How does this have anything--at all--to do with "sour grapes"? I have nothing invested in Murphy, Peters or Muse. I don't like any one more than the other. I'm simply stating facts.

Muse played 15 games, so what? He still posted phenomenal numbers, and was by far the best goaltender Charlotte had last year. His demotion had zero to do with skill and everything to do with contracts. He posted over half as many wins as Murphy in far less than half as many starts. Peters posted some stellar numbers himself way back in November, when he was named AHL goaltender of the month.

Also, the NHL trade deadline was Feb. 27. Mike Murphy played in exactly 8 of the Checkers' final 20 games, getting yanked in 2. There's a reason Murphy sat the final 4 games of the season, and it's not because he was "The Man". It's probably because he posted 3 wins in those 8 games since the deadline, while Peters posted 3 in those last 4 games.

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't *bad*, last season, nor even mediocre. But:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvUwqCYFsmQ&t=0m20s
Look we're both entitled to our opinions and mine is that over the course of the season Murphy was head a shoulders the best goaltender in Charlotte. When Muse was there we iced our best team, not trashed by injuries as much as late in the year. Sure he was great and yes contracts had lots to do with it, my point is that it wasn't just goaltender play that let the Checkers down. And Murphy will be missed.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Scimitars of Drizzt
New York Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
And he'll have the one loss with no wins to go with it. It will truly be the strangest stat line in NHL history.
Yeah it would be, but I highly doubt that he won't play another NHL game.

Anyways, does anyone know what is going on with Murphy in the KHL? I know he got roughed up his last game against a very strong offense Metallurg team. But hockeydb is saying he is no longer on Spartak's active roster, and the official KHL website doesn't list him on their roster.

I was just wondering if he is still on the Spartak squad, or if he got dropped or traded. I haven't been able to find any news about it. I jut think he is a great prospect with great potential; I watched him for a little over 3 years in Belleville and he is truly a fine talent.

EDIT: Never mind. I just found an article and he has been released. Wonder what will happen to him now.

Last edited by Scimitars of Drizzt: 11-02-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Scimitars of Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:32 AM
perklunt
qwerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitars of Drizzt View Post
Yeah it would be, but I highly doubt that he won't play another NHL game.

Anyways, does anyone know what is going on with Murphy in the KHL? I know he got roughed up his last game against a very strong offense Metallurg team. But hockeydb is saying he is no longer on Spartak's active roster, and the official KHL website doesn't list him on their roster.

I was just wondering if he is still on the Spartak squad, or if he got dropped or traded. I haven't been able to find any news about it. I jut think he is a great prospect with great potential; I watched him for a little over 3 years in Belleville and he is truly a fine talent.

EDIT: Never mind. I just found an article and he has been released. Wonder what will happen to him now.
his contract is terminated

perklunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Robotic

Mike Murphy's great contribution to the KHL.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Yes We Cam
Anton who?

Not sure where he goes now. I guess somewhere else overseas. He'd be happy as hell to be back with the checkers since Frederik Andersen has been no longer a threat to him. It's too bad for Murphy that Ellis took his spot sharing games with Peters. The difference between those two lifelong Canes prospects is that Murphy has more skill.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Scimitars of Drizzt
New York Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklunt View Post
his contract is terminated
He still gets paid. He got a buyout.Don't know what you're saying, I already know he was released

Old
11-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Scimitars of Drizzt
New York Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Not sure where he goes now. I guess somewhere else overseas. He'd be happy as hell to be back with the checkers since Frederik Andersen has been no longer a threat to him. It's too bad for Murphy that Ellis took his spot sharing games with Peters. The difference between those two lifelong Canes prospects is that Murphy has more skill.
Yeah that's what I was assuming too, he'll probably stay overseas, get a contract with another European league. Would be nice to see him in Charlotte though, and yeah I would agree with you in Murphy being more talented.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Actually the difference is that Murphy has some amount of skill. Peters has none. (Or he's hiding it very very well..) Anyway, I don't either think Murphy's coming back to Charlotte just yet.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:50 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Considering he made a comment about Charlotte being a "prospect graveyard", I doubt the Hurricanes organization is going to bring him back.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:08 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Considering he made a comment about Charlotte being a "prospect graveyard", I doubt the Hurricanes organization is going to bring him back.
I'd think that Murphy's chance of returning to Charlotte this year ended when they went out and got Dan Ellis, who has proceeded to tear it up. The comment could be forgiven, but he is simply not good enough to displace one of the Checkers' goalies.

With John Muse still lingering in the ECHL, it's not even completely clear whether there would be a spot left in the organization for Murphy to take. He pretty much walked out on his opportunity here, unless he wants to try again next year.

I'd imagine that he'll end up sniffing around the AHL and Europe for a chance to replace guys who go back to the NHL when they finally get started.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote