HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 06:24 PM
WaltWhitman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Their process is easy to understand, they take NDP, NCAA and USHL players when at all possible, CHL guys need to be locks in order to be chosen.
Could it be that more Americans play in the former leagues and usually only the higher-drafted prospects or "locks" go the CHL route?

Why doesn't Team Canada take more USHL and U.S. college players?

It's all one big conspiracy, maaan!

Old
11-02-2012, 06:36 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Joey Walsh ‏@HockeyStickMan
Little brother Dusty (Dustin Walsh) returns to the @Dartmouth_MIH lineup tonight after being out for almost a year
Good to hear, Dartmouth is lighting up Yale already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Agree 100%. Everybody's an expert here at HF, lmao! For the record, I wasn't trying to contradict you, more lending to your point.

I personally find the one thing that will always carry over, is hockey sense. I always say to my friends that, I'll never fault a player for having the right idea. You can develop skating, shooting, and stick-handling but it's much harder to develop that puck poise and awareness. The ability to immediately make the right reads, while under pressure, is something that transcends skill. In my opinion!
Hockey sense is huge as i don't think that's something that can taught. You either have it or you don't. One of the reasons I like Leblanc so much is that he's so smart hockeywise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
Could it be that more Americans play in the former leagues and usually only the higher-drafted prospects or "locks" go the CHL route?

Why doesn't Team Canada take more USHL and U.S. college players?

It's all one big conspiracy, maaan!
Of course more Americans play in the US, that's comon sense. Clearly Team USA favors kids from the National Development Team, as they should since it's often going to have several of the top talent.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Agree 100%. Everybody's an expert here at HF, lmao! For the record, I wasn't trying to contradict you, more lending to your point.

I personally find the one thing that will always carry over, is hockey sense. I always say to my friends that, I'll never fault a player for having the right idea. You can develop skating, shooting, and stick-handling but it's much harder to develop that puck poise and awareness. The ability to immediately make the right reads, while under pressure, is something that transcends skill. In my opinion!
I completely agree.

I believe that intangibles such as vision/awareness/hockey sense are things that a player either has or doesn't have, they cannot be significantly developed or increased. It has more to do with the human brain and the natural ability to recognize and identify patterns. There are different types of intelligence, and pattern recognition is one that some people naturally have and others do not have. This is the one attribute that sets generational talents such as Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Lidstrom apart from the others. It also allows players without elite skillsets such as Oates and Gilmour to achieve far more than players with superior physical skillsets (Kilger, Colton Gillies etc).

Old
11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Awful night for our CHL prospects so far. All shutout, up to the WHL boys to turn it around.

Bennett has a goal and 2 assists. 8 points in 6 games now.

Walsh and Cichy with an assist.

MacMillan with an assist.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:20 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Awful night for our CHL prospects so far. All shutout, up to the WHL boys to turn it around.

Bennett has a goal and 2 assists. 8 points in 6 games now.

Walsh and Cichy with an assist.

MacMillan with an assist.
Wow, that's a great start!

Old
11-02-2012, 10:11 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Watched the North Dakota game (stopped watching the Dogs but will finish later) an interesting note for whatever reason the coach has Kristo playing LW on the top line instead of his usual RW spot. They moved Rowney up to Kristo's spot. Kristo also remains on the point on the PP again, not sure I really like it, he did this in his first two years and I think it ended up being great for his development as he was much more of a passer early on but after much time on the point his passing game improved by leaps and bounds. But I wonder if he isn't better off now on the RW on the PP, on the other hand by doing so they move MacMillan up to the top PP unit which I like to see a lot.

Kristo not having his best game but he did set up the game winning goal. Perhaps it was the move to the RW, but the rest of the team played well including MacMillan despite missing an empty net by inches in the final minute of the game. Had a nice setup on the 2nd goal (still not sure he won't get credit as it might have gone off the BU player)

They moved MacMillan back to C on the 2nd line, the coach said he wanted more production from MacMillan and that he felt that MacMillan is more involved at center (which is where he was when he had his 2 goal game). Thought MacMillan had a very good game, was one of their top forwards as he was working hard all night and was making things happen.

Pretty chippy game, heard the ND players weren't happy about a tweet from a BU player. Tomorrow night should be a fun game to watch as tonight was a real treat.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

MacMillan was credited with 2 assists, 1 of them on the 1st NoDak goal and the 2nd one on the ENG.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:11 PM
goforit

How can I watch ND games? I think there is no free feed, but where can I catch them and how much does it cost? thanks

Old
11-02-2012, 11:19 PM
WaltWhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
How can I watch ND games? I think there is no free feed, but where can I catch them and how much does it cost? thanks
You can listen to UND's radio announcers on the UND website for free. You just have to sign up for an account is all.

The UND radio announcers are really good and they can break the game down and give you insights that you don't get from the T.V. announcers. I would highly recommend checking the radio feed out.

go to www.undsports.com

sign in

open media player a half hour before the start time of the game

go to live events and find the radio feed on the right hand side.

-------

or you can pay for the webcast from the same website.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:25 PM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
You can listen to UND's radio announcers on the UND website for free. You just have to sign up for an account is all.

The UND radio announcers are really good and they can break the game down and give you insights that you don't get from the T.V. announcers. I would highly recommend checking the radio feed out.

go to www.undsports.com

sign in

open media player a half hour before the start time of the game

go to live events and find the radio feed on the right hand side.

-------

or you can pay for the webcast from the same website.
Thank you buddy! Very appreciated!

Old
11-02-2012, 11:41 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I watched some of the 1st from the Blades game. Dietz dropped the gloves although he didn't have much choice since he hit one of the Ice players while said player was off balance so another Ice player just started throwing punches at Dietz. Both sides threw some major bombs.

Thought Thrower looked much better so far, then he did in the last game I saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
I don't know of any free webcasts, a lot of their games are on tv in the states nationally. Not sure how much it costs for the webcast from the ND site but tomorrow nights game might be worth the money as neither side tonight seemed very happy with one another so it could be a good game as two of the top coaches in college hockey meet in a rare series. Plus hopefully Kristo will have a better game, as up until tonight in all the games i've seen him this year, he's easily been the best player on the ice in every game including the 2 pre-season games. In addition MacMillan is a fun player to watch, really like this kid as he brings an interesting mix of offensive skills and effort at both ends of the ice.

Last edited by montreal: 11-02-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 08:47 AM
zzoo

Yesterday night was terrible for our Jr players. 0 point for: Hudon, Archambault, Vail, Galchenyuk, Thrower, Dietz, even Bozon.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Watched the North Dakota game (stopped watching the Dogs but will finish later) an interesting note for whatever reason the coach has Kristo playing LW on the top line instead of his usual RW spot. They moved Rowney up to Kristo's spot. Kristo also remains on the point on the PP again, not sure I really like it, he did this in his first two years and I think it ended up being great for his development as he was much more of a passer early on but after much time on the point his passing game improved by leaps and bounds. But I wonder if he isn't better off now on the RW on the PP, on the other hand by doing so they move MacMillan up to the top PP unit which I like to see a lot.

Kristo not having his best game but he did set up the game winning goal. Perhaps it was the move to the RW, but the rest of the team played well including MacMillan despite missing an empty net by inches in the final minute of the game. Had a nice setup on the 2nd goal (still not sure he won't get credit as it might have gone off the BU player)

They moved MacMillan back to C on the 2nd line, the coach said he wanted more production from MacMillan and that he felt that MacMillan is more involved at center (which is where he was when he had his 2 goal game). Thought MacMillan had a very good game, was one of their top forwards as he was working hard all night and was making things happen.

Pretty chippy game, heard the ND players weren't happy about a tweet from a BU player. Tomorrow night should be a fun game to watch as tonight was a real treat.
On a side note....and I know it's just one game....but is Connor Gaarder somebody we should look for at the end of the year? I will probably buy the ND package soon so I'll have my own opinion but just wondering what you thought about him. Seems to have a decent size, and I know he's 21-22 year old but let just say that yesterday's game was somewhat of an eye-opener.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Yesterday night was terrible for our Jr players. 0 point for: Hudon, Archambault, Vail, Galchenyuk, Thrower, Dietz, even Bozon.
Probably one of the worst nights in recent years as far as points/number of prospects. Hey, I guess it happens from time to time. Thank god we had our NCAA guys.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

Nicolas Collette ‏@habsprospects
Erik Nyström continues his points streak with his 7th goal of the season in a 3-2 win vs VIK Västerås HK J20. 5 goals 2 assists in 6 games.

Good to see him scoring now.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Seems they took away one of Bennett's assist from last night. He's still 2nd among D in points though. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain his hot start this year, he had 13 points in his with 16 games last season.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:43 AM
as15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
On a side note....and I know it's just one game....but is Connor Gaarder somebody we should look for at the end of the year? I will probably buy the ND package soon so I'll have my own opinion but just wondering what you thought about him. Seems to have a decent size, and I know he's 21-22 year old but let just say that yesterday's game was somewhat of an eye-opener.
I would say no, as you said it was only one game. He is very gritty, and very willing to go to the dirty area's, but other than that he doesn't bring much else. Doesn't skate well enough to be an effective energy line player at the next level. As far as UND free agent's go, the player I would be looking at is Carter Rowney.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by as15 View Post
I would say no, as you said it was only one game. He is very gritty, and very willing to go to the dirty area's, but other than that he doesn't bring much else. Doesn't skate well enough to be an effective energy line player at the next level. As far as UND free agent's go, the player I would be looking at is Carter Rowney.
I've been a big Rowney fan since 2 years ago. Could be an effective bottom line player. Thanks for Gaarder. I look forward seeing him.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:14 AM
sfo

Quote:
I'm going to slightly disagree.

I don't think he's one to look at after this season is over & I'll agree with you on Rowney , but I'd keep an eye on Gaarder after a few years, maybe by the time his 4 years at UND are up. He might be one to get some looks.

I say that because no one thought he'd even play much at UND, and he has surprised. I wouldn't count him out.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

Nicolas Collette ‏@habsprospects
Scoring changes from last night : Mac Bennett 1G 1A instead of 1G 2A, Mike Cichy 2A instead of 1A.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:29 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'd be interested in Gaarder or not, but I'll keep an eye on him the rest of the year as i've mainly focused on Kristo and MacMillan. Carter Rowney would be the guy i'd look at for sure as I heard NHL teams were interested to sign him after last season so it will be interesting to see where he ends up signing.

Other forward NCAA FA's I'd keep an eye on, Drew Leblanc (St Cloud St) wanted the Habs to draft him as a 7th rounder in '07 over Kishel. At Michigan while he's on the small side and hasn't every really put up the points, I like Lindsay Sparks as a possible ECHLer for us next season. Another teammate FA i'd look at is Pat Mullane from BC, hopefully when the brass takes a look at Colin Sullivan they can check out Mullane.

Others that might be of interest, several I have yet to see but have heard to keep an eye on. Kyle Bodie (Union), Kalle Kossila (St Cloud St although he'll likely get drafted if he keeps putting up points, was passed over last year), Matt Neal and Jacob Laliberte (RPI), Matt Thurber (Northern Michigan), Austin Czarnik (Miami Ohio), Antoine Laganiere (Yale), Eric Robinson and Matt Lindblad (Dartmouth)

Quote:
Agreed on Rowney, I got to think he'll easily get an NHL contract after the season ends.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'm not sure if I'd be interested in Gaarder or not, but I'll keep an eye on him the rest of the year as i've mainly focused on Kristo and MacMillan. Carter Rowney would be the guy i'd look at for sure as I heard NHL teams were interested to sign him after last season so it will be interesting to see where he ends up signing.

Other forward NCAA FA's I'd keep an eye on, Drew Leblanc (St Cloud St) wanted the Habs to draft him as a 7th rounder in '07 over Kishel. At Michigan while he's on the small side and hasn't every really put up the points, I like Lindsay Sparks as a possible ECHLer for us next season. Another teammate FA i'd look at is Pat Mullane from BC, hopefully when the brass takes a look at Colin Sullivan they can check out Mullane.

Others that might be of interest, several I have yet to see but have heard to keep an eye on. Kyle Bodie (Union), Kalle Kossila (St Cloud St although he'll likely get drafted if he keeps putting up points, was passed over last year), Matt Neal and Jacob Laliberte (RPI), Matt Thurber (Northern Michigan), Austin Czarnik (Miami Ohio), Antoine Laganiere (Yale), Eric Robinson and Matt Lindblad (Dartmouth)

Agreed on Rowney, I got to think he'll easily get an NHL contract after the season ends.
Agree on all accounts. We keep talking about Czarnik, Laganière and Mullane so I guess something will happen with them. Sparks was also an interesting prospect from me. Type of guy, like Romney that might never amount to anything offensively, but could develop into something serviceable even in the NHL.

I really can't wait to see the difference the new philsophy will bring as far as signings and invitiations. My expectations would be that it would help tremendously, yet, maybe it won't happen already next year but might take a couple of years. I hope we'd be all over the UFA's like that, yet, I also understand that we are the victim of being too good at drafting, hence not a lot of contracts available for UFA's. Reason why we need to be careful with our contracts. Reason why a guy like Dustin Walsh might not be signed. Though, he's the type of guy that we could look back and wished we would have signed him. Was way too hurt to have any kind of analysis on him. But he was too hurt.....which is somewhat of a red flag. Nygren and Pribyl...that would be interesting to see what they'll do....

Old
11-03-2012, 02:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
If anyone was thinking about buying a day pass for HockeyStreams.com, tonight would be a good time to do so. They're showing live streams for the Bulldogs, Sting, and North Dakota games.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Agree on all accounts. We keep talking about Czarnik, Laganière and Mullane so I guess something will happen with them. Sparks was also an interesting prospect from me. Type of guy, like Romney that might never amount to anything offensively, but could develop into something serviceable even in the NHL.

I really can't wait to see the difference the new philsophy will bring as far as signings and invitiations. My expectations would be that it would help tremendously, yet, maybe it won't happen already next year but might take a couple of years. I hope we'd be all over the UFA's like that, yet, I also understand that we are the victim of being too good at drafting, hence not a lot of contracts available for UFA's. Reason why we need to be careful with our contracts. Reason why a guy like Dustin Walsh might not be signed. Though, he's the type of guy that we could look back and wished we would have signed him. Was way too hurt to have any kind of analysis on him. But he was too hurt.....which is somewhat of a red flag. Nygren and Pribyl...that would be interesting to see what they'll do....

I'd rather sign Obama

Old
11-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I'd rather sign Obama
Oops....Rowney it is. Hey, it is the election this upcoming Tuesday, you can't fault me for that....

Closed Thread