HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
hogtownhabsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Oh man! Nasty dangle by Gally, gets poke checked by goalie at last second.
Think te goalie got lucky with that hitting the buttend Padle down.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:43 PM
That

2-0 Plymouth. Two questionable goals.

Boucher - Sarault - Galchenyuk line seems very uninterested. They are just sitting around waiting for something to happen. They had short quick shifts this period.

Galchenyuk had a suicide pass to Basso, he seems to have a lot of those. I know he can always make the move around the defender while receiving the pass, but not everyone can. It's a bad habit. He had a nice pass to Sarault along the boards during his last shift, and also had a great through the legs move around the defender and drove the net. The Plymouth goalie managed to poke check it though. He really seemed to pick up the pace later on in the period.

I've said it about 1000 times, but for the love of god get Galchenyuk off of that line. Boucher and Sarault both like to control the puck and don't like to give it away. It's basically three puck possession forwards on the same line. It's pretty evident to me that he's been told to not play defence lately, as a centre he's all over the ice, playing hard in his own zone. Ever since he's gotten switched to right wing he's just floating.

Quote:
Sarault pisses me off. Skates himself into a corner all the time! Reminds me of Gomez. Can't shoot, and looks good doing nothing really.
Pretty much. He's been a blackhole offensively recently.

He's way too predictable. Get the puck, weave through entire team, skate in the corner, start cycle, play goes other way.

Last edited by That: 11-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
No, it's a horrible analogy, and one made from an obtuse point of view. I'm starting to get tired of message boards because most of the time, no one's trying to understand the other person's point of view. It would be preferable to many people here to appear right, than for something correct, but contradictory to their opinion be shared.

What's your plan for Plekanec then? Just hold him until he retires, and watch the asset wither away? At least if he started as a draft pick, and ends up giving us nothing when he leaves, we didn't lose anything, right? Buy cheap, and sell...well...don't sell at all?

The point is that he's probably had his best year that he'll ever have here, and from here on, his value will only stay relatively flat, or decrease. Meanwhile, the habs are in simply 0 position to be a contender in those "flat" years. We might as well store the value invested in him in terms of assets that will appreciate in value.
How is it a horrible analogy? Yes, I'm aware Crosby is a building block, that is besides the point I'm raising. We finished 1st a few years ago with Plekanec, we finished 3rd worst with him last season. He is not the reason for our record. It doesn't mean we would end 27th again this year if there was a season, and it doesn't mean we should move him.

What would be so terribly wrong in keeping Plekanec till he retires? God forbid we hold on to a good player from his rookie year to his last game.
But if you go back to read my previous post again, I said we should wait to see how our other centers develop. If none of them show signs of being better than him, then I don't understand why we should trade him (unless it's packaging him in order to get a better center).

Who knows where we will be in 3years. We have a new administration, a new coach, and eventually a new CBA with new rules.

If you want to say we're not going to be a contender next year, so might as well move him to stock up on picks and prospects, well, why not just trade all the guys that are 30+? Let's move Cole, Gionta and Markov too.
You need good veterans to show things to the younger guys. Eller's game became more and more similar to Plekanec's as the year went on. PK also mentioned how just watching Markov play when he's on the bench helps. MaxPac said the same of Cole. Plekanec would be a good help to Gally.

As I previously mentioned, moving Plek can become a possibility, but not before knowing if the younger guys can take over. If they are, then a decision will need to be made. Nothing needs to be forced though.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:03 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
The biggest reason we bombed so hard last year, was our best player, Markov, being once again lost to injury. If he's healthy, which all signs point to, then we are twice the team we are without him. Also let's not forget all the other injuries that plagued us last year. We didn't have any depth to handle them.

I'm not trying to sell you on the idea that we are favorites or that we have a great chance of winning next year, but we're not far. There's work to be done for sure, but most of the hardest things to find, we've got! Plekanec is most definitely part of the solution for Montreal, so I wouldn't be trying to move him. I'd be dumping the crappy contracts and looking to replace them with better value through free agency; identify the prospects that are expendable and try to parlay them into more established and needed talent; keep building through the draft and maybe try to get another 1st pick with our 3 2nds.

Now having said all that, if we can get a great asset for Plekanec, then you do it, obviously. We shouldn't be actively shopping him though, it's not like he'll be walking at the end of the year or anything. I'm loving where this team is headed and wouldn't be panicking in anyway about our finish last year. Give Plekanec some real top line players to play with and I'll bet that his value will go up, but more importantly, the team will be that much better.

I know you used the marketing analogy, but this isn't the stock market. You can't cash out a draft pick, nothing is guaranteed. The goal is to win hockey games, and Pleky greatly increases our chances of doing so.
The biggest reason we bombed so hard was because we were a poorly built team with no reserves. We were a poorly built team with no reserves because we traded them away, and mortgaged futures for too long because we were "not far" from contention. I don't think we're particularly close to being contenders, and I think it isn't at all definite that Plekanec is "part of the solution" in Montreal. When is it likely this solution will occur? 2 years? 5 years? longer?

Nothing at all is certain, but don't imply there's no risk in your plan whatsoever. That nothing is certain is no reason to choose one uncertain plan over another. You have to choose what is more likely.

So, what's more likely:

1.) We win the cup while his value is still high

2.) We see his value deteriorate to less than his present value to the club before we even sniff the cup.

I simply think the 2nd one is much more likely.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:04 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

sorry for quality, no time right now!

Edit: OMG Gally has to bury that!

Old
11-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Edit: OMG Gally has to bury that!
Radio guys went crazy, seemed like he tried to go all fancy instead of just finishing it off?

Dirty dangle in that video! Meanwhile Goldobin sets up Latta to tie it. For **** sakes, Goldobin and Galchenyuk need to play together.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:16 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How is it a horrible analogy? Yes, I'm aware Crosby is a building block, that is besides the point I'm raising. We finished 1st a few years ago with Plekanec, we finished 3rd worst with him last season. He is not the reason for our record. It doesn't mean we would end 27th again this year if there was a season, and it doesn't mean we should move him.
It's a terrible analogy because one strategy is logically defensible, while the other isn't, precisely because of the bolded. Crosby is one, Plekanec isn't, at least not given our situation.

If you're unable to look at this team, and see that it's pretty bad, then unfortunately, this conversation will be fruitless. So long as you think we're "one piece away," and "we were first a few years ago," there's nothing to be said. It's the strategy we've employed for a long time instead of biting the bullet and getting our rebuild. Now people are creaming their shorts over Galchenyuk, a player they would've never dreamed of getting because they're too damn proud and stupid to realize the nature of the game. You need elite talent to win it all, and it predominantly comes in one form.

Quote:
What would be so terribly wrong in keeping Plekanec till he retires? God forbid we hold on to a good player from his rookie year to his last game.
But if you go back to read my previous post again, I said we should wait to see how our other centers develop. If none of them show signs of being better than him, then I don't understand why we should trade him (unless it's packaging him in order to get a better center).
It would be bad because we would get nothing for him. Whereas now, we could preserve his value for potentially much longer than his expected shelf life, if we just hold him till he's worthless, then what? Clearly getting something for a player is better than getting nothing.

If no players are showing signs of being better than Plekanec, then I would support a full scale rebuild: without question.

Who knows where we will be in 3years. We have a new administration, a new coach, and eventually a new CBA with new rules.

Quote:
If you want to say we're not going to be a contender next year, so might as well move him to stock up on picks and prospects, well, why not just trade all the guys that are 30+? Let's move Cole, Gionta and Markov too.
You need good veterans to show things to the younger guys. Eller's game became more and more similar to Plekanec's as the year went on. PK also mentioned how just watching Markov play when he's on the bench helps. MaxPac said the same of Cole. Plekanec would be a good help to Gally.
Markov I don't think would fetch much, as he has a ton of risk, and will very likely not be the same player ever again. Plekanec though, is unique. He is so responsible for our team at least not rolling over and dying(I think he's a great player, btw), that moving him would maximize our own draft picks, as well as bringing in a very good return. That's why I tend to single out Pleky. Unique combination.

Quote:
As I previously mentioned, moving Plek can become a possibility, but not before knowing if the younger guys can take over. If they are, then a decision will need to be made. Nothing needs to be forced though.
I think it's independent of our young guys taking over, as moving Pleky has as much to do with maximizing our draft as anything else.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:16 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
The biggest reason we bombed so hard was because we were a poorly built team with no reserves. We were a poorly built team with no reserves because we traded them away, and mortgaged futures for too long because we were "not far" from contention. I don't think we're particularly close to being contenders, and I think it isn't at all definite that Plekanec is "part of the solution" in Montreal. When is it likely this solution will occur? 2 years? 5 years? longer?

Nothing at all is certain, but don't imply there's no risk in your plan whatsoever. That nothing is certain is no reason to choose one uncertain plan over another. You have to choose what is more likely.

So, what's more likely:

1.) We win the cup while his value is still high

2.) We see his value deteriorate to less than his present value to the club before we even sniff the cup.

I simply think the 2nd one is much more likely.
Who knows when we'll win the cup next. Only one team wins every year, doesn't mean we should quit because we aren't a favorite. If teams followed your ideology there'd be 20-25 teams trying to trade away their best veteran players all the time.

The core of players we have now is the best since I can remember and we'll have some serious money to play with when Gomez is gone. We've got a plethora of draft picks for next years draft and a full cupboard of prospects ready to make the jump in the next 2-3 years. I'm not worried one bit.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:17 PM
CP31

did the stream stop for anyone?

Old
11-02-2012, 07:22 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Gally snakebit, 4 huge chances and nothing to show for it.

End of 2.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
That

2-2 at the end of the second.

Didn't even notice Galchenyuk that much to be completely honest. He had a few nice chances, but nothing spectacular. He had a nice play on the PK where he deked through the entire team and realized that he couldn't go down the boards, so he passed back into his own zone to kill time.

It seems like Galchenyuk's line is getting very little ice time tonight.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Radio guys went crazy, seemed like he tried to go all fancy instead of just finishing it off?

Dirty dangle in that video! Meanwhile Goldobin sets up Latta to tie it. For **** sakes, Goldobin and Galchenyuk need to play together.
Yeah he should've just one-timed it in on his forehand but he tried to go backhand. The goalie was so late coming over that he went right into him.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:46 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Galls gotta pull the trigger there.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:47 PM
CP31

i never see boucher hit the net

Old
11-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Yeah he should've just one-timed it in on his forehand but he tried to go backhand. The goalie was so late coming over that he went right into him.
They just showed it on Sportsnet during the intermission of their Guelph game, he probably scores if he goes forehand and upstairs there. Goalie was clearly down and the whole upper net was up.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
CP31

I really hate watching this team

Old
11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
That

3-2 win for Plymouth. Galchenyuk was held pointless for the 4th time this season.

Galchenyuk had a pretty quiet first period. He had a suicide pass to Basso, which seems to becoming a habit for Galchenyuk. He did have an incredible cross ice pass to Sarault (which is slightly losing it's "incredible-ness" because he does it every game), and also had another beauty pass when he was along to the boards. At the end of the first he pulled the between his legs and went around the defender to drive the net. However, the Plymouth goalie got his stick on it. In the second Galchenyuk was even quieter. He had a nice move on the PK. He cut across the ice going through the entire team and then sent it back into his own zone killing the clock. He had was setup beautifully later on, but for some reason decided not to shoot all alone in front. In the third, Galchenyuk was even quieter. He lost a puck battle to kick it off, and then also missed another nice chance by not shooting.

Overall, that was poor effort from Galchenyuk. Sure he had some nice moves, but he should have had a hattrick tonight. SHOOT THE PUCK. He seemed afraid to shoot the puck for some reason tonight. He had quite a few turnovers too, but none were costly. He was skating a playing hard, but couldn't get anything going. I'm sure only getting about 18-20 minutes of ice time wasn't exactly a good thing though.

-Dundas had an up and down night. He started off the game by taking a knee from Sills, but he went after him and proceeded to beat the crap out of Sills. He had a goal from a laser of a shot and showed some nice hands at multiple occasions. He took a dumb penalty though and also had his fair share of turnovers.
-DeAngelo had a terrible turnover that resulted in a goal. Just bad. However he picked up his play as the night went on. He absolutely crushed someone tonight, he seems to developing an edge.
-Connor Murphy was very very solid tonight. Looked very calm and poised. Made some good outlet passes.
-Latta was all over the ice tonight. He finished with a goal. He had some very nice plays.
-Rickard Rakell had a solid night. He stole the puck countless times and showed off his hands quiet a few times. I would have liked to see more consistency from shift to shift though.
-Noesen had a great night. Sarnia played him hard all night, but he kept on going. He had a few interceptions too. He was a bit quieter in the third.
-Ryan Hartman was very good tonight. He played with a ton of intensity and a ton of chances.

Last edited by That: 11-02-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old
11-02-2012, 08:41 PM
HABS2DCUP

Gawd The whole team is horrible...especially Murphy and Sarault...

Old
11-02-2012, 09:38 PM
DAChampion

Fozz, NotProkofievian, and Kriss E,

I'm responding to your posts in The Center Pole : who are the futur 4 center!! as our discussion is more relevant to that thread than to this thread.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:18 PM
DAChampion

- delete -

Old
11-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Dagistitsyn

Just watched a highlight video of Yakupovs first month in the KHL, hes so fun to watch. His skills are just ridiculous. I wonder how Gally would do in the KHL, anyone think he would be doing as good ?

I wish they were still playing together.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:19 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Just watched a highlight video of Yakupovs first month in the KHL, hes so fun to watch. His skills are just ridiculous. I wonder how Gally would do in the KHL, anyone think he would be doing as good ?

I wish they were still playing together.
yeah really explosive player take can exploit any part of ice you give him. I always lol at his reaction when i see galchenyuk scores a highlight real goal in a montage.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:02 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:

our young guys need to grow up with winners. Plek is a winner no matter how you want to slice it. look at his progression, his clutch goal against washington, his ''getting along with kovalev and andrei '' (not.easy.)that ended up being one of the best lines in the NHL when we won conference. I mean, the guy is all habs through and through ... If he's the only reason we don't win the cup, then i'll live with it. honestly. I don't want to win a cup without plekanec. He's exactly what I look for in a hockey player. Guys who want to trade him for picks and prospects should go back to their Xbox, or shut up and try and learn about how humans are better than penciled lineups. agree with you 100%

Old
11-03-2012, 03:06 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
That's because he's rusty.
The 'rusty' thing is gonna wear off pretty soon. And I don't buy it for superb athletes of his age anyway. I'm fine with Gally, and if he has a bad night at this point, it happens, and not because he's 'rusty'

Old
11-03-2012, 03:14 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
As a finance mba this amused me
You can't be serious. I wouldn't crow about your MBA.

Closed Thread