HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Hurricane/Frankenstorm/Snowicane Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Fire?
They would have to dry out.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Let's try to keep this on the topic of Franksenstorm and not other users' life choices please.

Nothing wrong with Spaghetti Os though.
big fan of spaghetti os

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:23 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The last time I had Spaghetti O's, I threw up .

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 07:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

My parents in Bucks just got their power..they were told at 11am tomorrow so guess they lucked out. Obviously peco is busting their *****..dont envy the workers out there at the tip of the spear.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 07:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
big fan of spaghetti os
Well with all those preservatives your corpse will be well preserved .. all that chef boyardee type stuff makes me yak...

Old
10-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
Just got my power back today. Being so energy dependent sucks.
It really does. We got together and cleaned up yards today just to get out of the house. I am still a bad man with a chain saw!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
MrHockey1982

Still no power and a huge gas shortage up here. We got hit really badly and the shore and Long Island are destroyed!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:39 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Still no power and a huge gas shortage up here. We got hit really badly and the shore and Long Island are destroyed!
That sucks, but as long as everyone is safe, that's the most important thing. Hopefully your area gets power back soon - it's amazing how much we rely on it, and you find out in times like these.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

My friend lives in Metuchen NJ...he said it's like mad max with the fuel situation around there. He also said he was lucky and didn't lose power for any extended amount of time but his house was one of few on the block with power. He also said he felt somewhat guilty in his Vanderbilt "electric" home. His neighbors are mostly all without. He's had to lend them his generator, feed them, offer to stay at his place etc but he said he can only do so much. He's even had to not mention he has more fuel stored just in case he needs it. It's a catch 22 in situations like this...that's why it's always important to have rapport with your neighbors as much as possible b/c when there are times of scarcity and misfortune being an "individual" only gets you so far....obviously these days people barely know their neighbors..at least in urban areas....sometimes understandable ..I'm guilty of it.

Anyway...I'm looking into generators..gonna get one when things calm down. Researched a bunch...if anybody has any suggestions that would be welcome too but I think I pinpointed a decent one.

Speaking of generators..aparently some dude was selling 30 of them on Craig's list that he acquired. He went out a ways..down south to buy them since they are cheaper in those rural areas where they are more commonplace or so it is said. Not sure how true that is. He then marked each one up by 200 bucks and sold them on Craig's list before the storm hit. Guess he made a nice hefty profit...I think a bunch of people did this...obviously not some new novel idea.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 11-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old
11-02-2012, 01:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Anyone on the East Coast will need to be on alert again. Long range models are showing a possible Nor'Easter coming up the coast mid week next week. Not as strong as Sandy, but it doesnt matter. I think the mid atlantic especially needs a break for awhile.
There is still a ways to go, and there isnt any agreement of the track, but just a heads up to those who havent heard yet.
Please dont shoot the messenger.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Anyone on the East Coast will need to be on alert again. Long range models are showing a possible Nor'Easter coming up the coast mid week next week. Not as strong as Sandy, but it doesnt matter. I think the mid atlantic especially needs a break for awhile.
There is still a ways to go, and there isnt any agreement of the track, but just a heads up to those who havent heard yet.
Please dont shoot the messenger.
Already knew about it so I'll refrain from shooting at you. I'm not looking forward to going back on 12 hour shifts.

11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Meh..I heard it's trajectory is the New England area...not great news all around but it's a mere cirrus cloud compared to Sandy...

Old
11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Meh..I heard it's trajectory is the New England area...not great news all around but it's a mere cirrus cloud compared to Sandy...
well like i said its expected to be weaker if we get it and right now its a big if. there are areas in New England who still dont want to see a coastal storm right now.
NorEasters still can bring quite a bit of wind, and coastal flooding to areas that dont need it right now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
well like i said its expected to be weaker if we get it and right now its a big if. there are areas in New England who still dont want to see a coastal storm right now.
NorEasters still can bring quite a bit of wind, and coastal flooding to areas that dont need it right now.
Oh I agree...totally bad timing but I guess this crap is going to be the new norm or so it is being claimed.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Orange Crush 89

Pro-Tip: Barrier islands weren't meant to be built on. I live at the jersey shore, right across the bridge from one of the barrier island towns, and the damage here isn't anywhere near as bad as two miles across a bay. Pretty much 95% of the pictures/videos you see of the complete obliteration are from places that should have never had houses/businesses/etc on them. It's like building your house on a volcano and being surprised when it catches on fire one day.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Pretty devastating update on LBI...

Quote:
The entire infrastructure of natural gas lines under Long Beach Island, more than 300 miles of pipeline, will have to be repaired or rebuilt, a prospect that could keep thousands of island residents out of their homes for months.

No timeline was given for the project, but the process to repair can take as little as a few weeks or as long as a few months, said Andrew Lu, managing Director of operations & engineering for the American Gas Association, a Washington, D.C.-based organization that represents more than 200 of the nation’s natural gas companies.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...9bb2963f4.html

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Pro-Tip: Barrier islands weren't meant to be built on. I live at the jersey shore, right across the bridge from one of the barrier island towns, and the damage here isn't anywhere near as bad as two miles across a bay. Pretty much 95% of the pictures/videos you see of the complete obliteration are from places that should have never had houses/businesses/etc on them. It's like building your house on a volcano and being surprised when it catches on fire one day.
Infrastructure isn't designed to take on hurricanes either in the Jersey barrier islands. Down south in places like North Carolina and the Florida Keys, people keep coming back.

Saw one guy say that his solution will be to simply raise the house higher. Uh, yeah, I'm sure that'll work the next time a storm comes in.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:15 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Pro Tip: People have been living there since 1785. I think its cool that your house didn't blow away like some others, or your 2nd level to your house didn't suddenly become the first when water started filling it. However all the storm needed to do was make landfall 40 or 50 miles further south and it would have. But hey, since you're the expert architect, living at the shore, maybe you'd be ok anyway.

People have been inhabiting coastlines since people have been people. Guess what, if you live in the mid-west you have to deal with Tornados. If you live in California you have to deal with earth quakes. If you live near the Gulf of Mexico you have to deal with Hurricanes on a regular basis. If you live in Japan or Eastern China you have to deal with Typhoons. If you live near the ocean you have to deal with Tsunami's. If you live up north you have to deal with the cold. If you live down south you have to deal with the heat.

People from all around the country are coming up to Jersey to help clean the mess, meanwhile some dude sitting two miles away who also happens to be an expert architect is sitting on his ass looking at the pictures saying "huhuhuh glad it wasn't me sucks to be you" Congratulations, you are what's wrong with people today.

Also half the pictures you see, are from New York and North Jersey like Hoboken

Last edited by PALE PWNR: 11-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.
PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I mean, New Orleans and Norfolk shouldn't be inhabited either since large parts of them are basically bowls. Yet people are there. Hell, Venice is the ultimate "people shouldn't live there" city but it's been around for 1400-1500 years and at one point sat upon a large maritime trade empire. People live where they want regardless of how difficult it can be and just deal with it.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:01 PM
KwikKarl

Urgent request - hurricane sandy

Sorry not hockey relateed - off topic - Thought I'd reach our here - hopefully someone in the Philly area can help these guys out - a group I support - Team Rubicon - is a disaster ORG made up of Military Veterans, First Responders, and Medics from across the country. An element of 100 military veterans with TR are currently working the Philadelphia area and put out an URGENT plea to bunk down a 100 dirty tired veterans. Sorry again for off topic post - didn't know where else to reach out to...

This is one of the best disaster org's I've ever donated too - 100 percent accountability.

Here's their tweet https://twitter.com/TeamRubicon/stat...11940818345984
Quote:
RT @badgerjake: @TeamRubicon needs lodging in #philadelphia area. Who can help? Need room for 100 tired, dirty #veterans to lay their head

Team Rubicon @TeamRubicon http://teamrubiconusa.org/
Over 1,000 military veterans + medical professionals are currently providing disaster response & recover to Hurricane Sandy. Learn more: http://*******/SrbcCi
Worldwide http://teamrubiconusa.org
Team Rubicon, Inc., 1030 W. Hillcrest Blvd, Inglewood, CA 90301. Ph: 1-310-338-1149.

here's alittle about them (couldn't get embed to work)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLjZsvE2Ge0

ADDED https://www.facebook.com/teamrubicon as they push quicker reports here.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5715080&type=1

TR marks its territory in Coatesville, PA. Job well done by TR volunteers Jaime Cullen-Dega, Brian Buhman, & Ryan Stehman, pictured here with the homeowner they helped.

Last edited by KwikKarl: 11-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
KwikKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:33 PM
KwikKarl

Again TR doing a bang up job for your guys down there in PHI/NJ area - they put out another plea this evening. Someone needs to put some of the Veterans up down there... Heck they'd probably take just a roof over their heads - most of them are combat vets after all

https://twitter.com/TeamRubicon
Jake Wood ‏@BadgerJake
.@teamrubicon still badly needs lodging in Ocean County NJ and Long Island NY PLEASE HELP (just a place to rest our heads)

RAPID MEDICAL RESPONSE VETERAN REINTEGRATION
Contact Info Phone (888) 242-3912

Old
11-04-2012, 08:37 PM
MrHockey1982

I work for Citi and have done some work in this building at 111 Wall St. I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched this:

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Pro Tip: People have been living there since 1785. I think its cool that your house didn't blow away like some others, or your 2nd level to your house didn't suddenly become the first when water started filling it. However all the storm needed to do was make landfall 40 or 50 miles further south and it would have. But hey, since you're the expert architect, living at the shore, maybe you'd be ok anyway.

People have been inhabiting coastlines since people have been people. Guess what, if you live in the mid-west you have to deal with Tornados. If you live in California you have to deal with earth quakes. If you live near the Gulf of Mexico you have to deal with Hurricanes on a regular basis. If you live in Japan or Eastern China you have to deal with Typhoons. If you live near the ocean you have to deal with Tsunami's. If you live up north you have to deal with the cold. If you live down south you have to deal with the heat.

People from all around the country are coming up to Jersey to help clean the mess, meanwhile some dude sitting two miles away who also happens to be an expert architect is sitting on his ass looking at the pictures saying "huhuhuh glad it wasn't me sucks to be you" Congratulations, you are what's wrong with people today.

Also half the pictures you see, are from New York and North Jersey like Hoboken
I love how you pretty much didn't address anything I said. Perhaps spend a little less time with the sarcasm and blind insults and more time on reading comprehension. I couldn't care less if people have been living there since 1785 or 2000bc, it doesn't change the fact that "BARRIER" islands (and equivalent) shouldn't have infrastructure on them. You sit there acting holier than thou as if I said I am glad any of what happened happened. You constantly play Russian roulette with mother nature and eventually your brains get blown out.

Also, Hoboken and New York, in case maps aren't handy in your neck of the woods, are, as well, spitting distance from the ocean. So what I said holds. Congratulations, you are what's been wrong with people through recorded history.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
I mean, New Orleans and Norfolk shouldn't be inhabited either since large parts of them are basically bowls. Yet people are there. Hell, Venice is the ultimate "people shouldn't live there" city but it's been around for 1400-1500 years and at one point sat upon a large maritime trade empire. People live where they want regardless of how difficult it can be and just deal with it.
And that's all great, and it's great that they keep coming back, if that's what they want to deal with. But it should come as no surprise or tragedy when you put yourself down the barrel of the gun. People think they're invincible, then when something like this happens they wonder how or why.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:11 PM
KwikKarl

If any of you in the NJ area need assistance there is a conact at the bottom of their press release. Great ORG worth every dime donated - after every operation, they even offer a refund on monies not spent that were donated to that specific op. So if your looking to help out victims of Sandy and honor Veterans Day no better way than to support these guys out..

Press Release: Team Rubicon Mobilizes Hundreds of Veterans for Superstorm Sandy Relief

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Team Rubicon Mobilizes Hundreds of Veterans for Superstorm Sandy Relief

Media Contacts:

Kristin Robinson
(913) 568-8043 robinson@teamrubiconusa.org

Mike Lee
(847) 899-2236 lee@teamrubiconusa.org

NEW YORK, November 5, 2012 – With Veteran’s Day just days away, Team Rubicon (TR), a veteran service organization that repurposes the ready-made organizational and operational skills of military veterans for disaster relief, is mobilizing hundreds (with a goal of 1,000), veteran volunteers to lead Superstorm Sandy relief efforts in hard hit New York and New Jersey. Embarking on its boldest, most ambitious mission yet, Team Rubicon has activated all 10 of its regions; putting the call out for any and all interested volunteers to step up to help TR meet this challenge. Veteran volunteers will be broken up into small, fleet-footed teams based on skill and identified post-disaster relief need.

Team Rubicon teams are currently working street by street, home by home, leading the charge for post- disaster damage assessments, debris management, and emergency coordination support to local government. Local municipalities have assigned Team Rubicon to the most devastated areas, given its experience in natural disaster relief in the U.S. and abroad. TR provided relief after tornadoes in Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Joplin, and after Hurricane Irene, among others. It has also responded to several international natural disasters such as the 2010 Haiti earthquake and the Pakistan floods during the same year.

By repurposing the skills (teamwork, decisive leadership, risk mitigation and management, logistics, emergency medicine) of returning military veterans, the Team Rubicon model is one that addresses two challenges – inadequate disaster response and poor veteran reintegration – by using each to solve the other. Veterans are an untapped resource, and have the skills and experiences necessary to be effective in disaster response.

Team Rubicon co-founders Jake Wood and William McNulty, both veterans themselves, know too well the desire to continue to serve once separating from the military. “Ninety-two percent of veterans returning from war say continued service is important to them. We have a desire to help here at home, to serve our communities. This particular mission allows us to give hundreds of veterans that opportunity, while helping those most affected by Hurricane Sandy,” said Jake Wood, Team Rubicon president and co-founder.

Editor’s Note:
Team Rubicon co-founders Jake Wood and William McNulty will be on-site in New York and New Jersey and available for interview. Veteran volunteers will also be available for interview. Please contact Kristin Robinson (913) 568-8043, robinson@teamrubiconusa.org, or Mike Lee, (847) 899-2236, lee@teamrubiconusa.org to schedule.

About Team Rubicon

Team Rubicon (TR) unites the skills and experience of military veterans with first responders to rapidly deploy emergency response teams into crisis situations. TR offers veterans a chance to continue their service by helping and empowering those afflicted by disasters, and also themselves. For more about Team Rubicon, visit www.teamrubiconusa.org.