Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Bleh.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Well it just wasn't enough. Admirals home streak ends. Safe to say Andersen gets the start tomorrow. No way he earned the next start.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Good news of the night is that Etem looked better. He had some good shifts.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Well, at least we'll have Andersen in net for the next game.

Good on Etem.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

It's a little frustrating that Vatanen can put up 2 points, and still make me want to for the overall game.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It's a little frustrating that Vatanen can put up 2 points, and still make me want to for the overall game.
I think he might end up being a bit like Gonchar that way.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Jesus Teemu

As long as he's average defensively and puts up points, I'll be OK with it. But he really needs to contribute offensively if that's the case. I never expected him to be a top-pairing D though.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:01 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Vatanen definitely wasn't very good defensively today, but I've seen a lot of his games and I can comfortably say that his normal defensive effort is better than this. Offensively he did many good things though.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:07 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
I didn't think he was that bad at all. I don't mean any offense but it almost seems like you guys are trying to find reasons to critique him so you don't become a hype slave. Sure he didn't have a strong game but I wouldn't say he was facepalm worthy.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
Vatanen definitely wasn't very good defensively today, but I've seen a lot of his games and I can comfortably say that his normal defensive effort is better than this. Offensively he did many good things though.
He did, but a bit too sparingly today for my taste. Really, he had a couple of good shifts in the 2nd period, and was a factor on the PP. Offensively, I didn't feel he was dangerous from start to finish, or was good on the breakout start to finish. For me, that's not good enough, especially with the defensive effort we saw. If this is just one of those games, I can accept that, but he really needs to show he can be more effective when he isn't on the PP, or when he has the puck with time and space.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
He did, but a bit too sparingly today for my taste. Really, he had a couple of good shifts in the 2nd period, and was a factor on the PP. Offensively, I didn't feel he was dangerous from start to finish, or was good on the breakout start to finish. For me, that's not good enough, especially with the defensive effort we saw. If this is just one of those games, I can accept that, but he really needs to show he can be more effective when he isn't on the PP, or when he has the puck with time and space.
I'd say that tonight was his weakest game of the season. He's been pretty reliable on the offensive end for most of the season.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I didn't think he was that bad at all. I don't mean any offense but it almost seems like you guys are trying to find reasons to critique him so you don't become a hype slave. Sure he didn't have a strong game but I wouldn't say he was facepalm worthy.
He was completely ineffective in the D zone, and flat out bad at times. That, on top of a couple of ugly turnovers. To be fair to Vatanen, like heks said, I thought he was worse defensively than in the previous games. Not great, and that's probably unrealistic, but not this bad.

Offensively, he just didn't give a consistent offensive effort. He was good in spurts, which I think would qualify this as a bad game in that area too, since in the games I've seen previously he's been better in that regards. When you combine the D, with the inconsistent offense, how is that anything but a bad game?

Old
11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Duckr

The offensive speed of the game is to Sami's styling, but it seems like he's not used to the pressure and quickness of the defensive side yet. Is it really that surprising to see a player have to acclimate oneself in a development league?

Old
11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'd say that tonight was his weakest game of the season. He's been pretty reliable on the offensive end for most of the season.
Yeah. I'm just saying it was a rough game for him. On the whole, I've been impressed with his offense. I'm pretty excited about seeing what he'll be able to do on the PP when he takes the next step. Even tonight, on an off night, he's a big factor on the PP.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckr View Post
The offensive speed of the game is to Sami's styling, but it seems like he's not used to the pressure and quickness of the defensive side yet. Is it really that surprising to see a player have to acclimate oneself in a development league?
I don't think that anyone is writing him off for having a weak game.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I don't think that anyone is writing him off for having a weak game.
Not in the least, and it's not like he was the only one who didn't look sharp. Hell, Bobkov looked to be fighting it the entire night.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:51 AM
Hagged

Seems like Vatanen should be benched. Watching a few games eating popcorn in the stands might give him the wake-up call to start playing not floating around.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:15 AM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Seems like Vatanen should be benched. Watching a few games eating popcorn in the stands might give him the wake-up call to start playing not floating around.
Huh? He wasn't that bad.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Everyone has bad games, it's not that big of a deal. Hell, I remember a large chunk of the beginning of the season, in '08-09 and '09-10, when Scotty Nieds was downright awful at times.

Not to mention, we don't need Vatanen to become an all around #1 stud, I've been one of his biggest proponents, and even I never expected that. He'll be a 2nd pairing guy, who needs a physical, defensively responsible counterpart. I think he'll always be average defensively, but I think we'll also see some 60pt seasons out of him.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
Huh? He wasn't that bad.
Definitely the worst player of the Admirals though. And although that is debatable, he doesn't look like the best player of a pro league at the moment. Sorry Heksagon, I know you like Vatanen as a prospect but if he doesn't get his **** together he won't become an NHL player.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:36 AM
heksagon

It seems like every time a Finnish prospect has a sub-par game, there is some overreacting going on after. First in the Barkov thread there were posts saying he's in a "slump" after one or two pointless games and will fall like a rock in the draft, and now this. Sorry, I just find it to be amusing. Patience is the key.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Definitely the worst player of the Admirals though. And although that is debatable, he doesn't look like the best player of a pro league at the moment. Sorry Heksagon, I know you like Vatanen as a prospect but if he doesn't get his **** together he won't become an NHL player.
Lol where do you come up with this ********?

Old
11-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
"Hype slave" is a good term, and anti-hype slavery is definitely something to be kept in mind when reading critiques. There is also the tendency of overusing hyperbole when evaluating a player's performance in order to make a post seem more interesting, or make the poster seem more knowledgeable.

Closed Thread