HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 11:26 PM
kitchen44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Okay, I am bored. Let's rank the cheap beers available.

There are, in no order, bud light, keystone, coors, natty light, miller light...I cant think of any others.

In my opinion:
  1. Coors
  2. Bud light
  3. keystone
  4. miller
  5. natty

Now, if I am drinking to get smashed and need a cheaper beer, I will choose Yuengling, which is a phenomenal "cheap" beer. It's the largest American brew, but it tastes pretty good. I would say you can get a 12 pack of bottles for like 10 bucks or 24 pack of cans for 18 bucks. I am in Texas, and they dont have Yuengling here for some reason, but if you go anywhere on the east coast, you should try it.

I just realized you guys all probably drink molson or labatt...
I agree with you about the coors, I love them old yellow bellies. Here in Canada thogh for cheap beer its got to be lucky for me, or Pilsner depending on your definition of cheap.

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I don't believe in cheap beer. I'd rather drink 1 good beer rather than 3 crappy ones.

I can sit and savour a Red Racer IPA or the like and enjoy it rather than pound 3 Coors Light and have to pee.

You are in Houston. Try Saint Arnold brewery or Jester King. Two really good breweries down there.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
kitchen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I don't believe in cheap beer. I'd rather drink 1 good beer rather than 3 crappy ones.

I can sit and savour a Red Racer IPA or the like and enjoy it rather than pound 3 Coors Light and have to pee.

You are in Houston. Try Saint Arnold brewery or Jester King. Two really good breweries down there.
He was talking about coors original.

I dont believe in expensive beer, like paying 20$ for a 6er of Brewsters off sales. As long as its cold and reasonably drinkable ill enjoy it.

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:19 AM
cfrancis

I have my "go-to fridge beers" about 8-12 dollars a 6pack. It's a small rotation of beers that I will never get tired of. There is always something in my fridge if I don't want to crack a specialty.

But my days of sitting down to a 12 of macro are well behind me.

Life is too short to waste it on bad beer.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:

Well what if you want to get really drunk when you go camping or are partying? Liquor is good, but cheap beer is better for drinking games. Yeah, I like St Arnolds and Shiner a lot, but they are entirely different beers with entirely different purposes.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:16 PM
cfrancis

I'm just too old for drinking games. I'm 35 now with two kids. My camping days are much different than they were when I was in university.

I'm hoping to start homebrewing in order to have my lawnmower beer.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
dyzfunctioned

Anyone been to three boars? What's the drink menu/food like?

Thinking of trying it out.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Stoneman89

Go to Wine and Beyond or COOP Wine. Both brand new stores that have an unbelievable variety of wines and beer. Pretty sure they both carry the #1 rated beer in the world, Belgium's own Westervlender.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
cfrancis

Howe Sound Pumpkineater was a good roadie while taking the kids trick or treating.

Does that make me a bad parent?

Old
11-01-2012, 10:23 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Go to Wine and Beyond or COOP Wine. Both brand new stores that have an unbelievable variety of wines and beer. Pretty sure they both carry the #1 rated beer in the world, Belgium's own Westervlender.
Wasn't impressed with Wine and Beyond... most of their beer isn't in the cooler and it's mainly just different beers from the same bunch of breweries.

Much prefer Keg n Cork or Sherbrooke personally.

And you mean Westvleteren 12?

Old
11-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Wasn't impressed with Wine and Beyond... most of their beer isn't in the cooler and it's mainly just different beers from the same bunch of breweries.

Much prefer Keg n Cork or Sherbrooke personally.

And you mean Westvleteren 12?
Ya, sorry. Bloody long complicated name for a beer.

Why does the beer for sale have to be in a cooler? That was one of the things I liked about it. I can't stand freezing my butt off looking at different beers in a cold refirdgerator. I don't mind if they have the standard fare beers there like Coors etc, but when I like to browse, I like to be comfortable.

I will have to check out the other stores you mentioned, thanks.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Howe Sound Pumpkineater was a good roadie while taking the kids trick or treating.

Does that make me a bad parent?
Only if you didn't bring enough for all the kids.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 04:36 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Ya, sorry. Bloody long complicated name for a beer.

Why does the beer for sale have to be in a cooler? That was one of the things I liked about it. I can't stand freezing my butt off looking at different beers in a cold refirdgerator. I don't mind if they have the standard fare beers there like Coors etc, but when I like to browse, I like to be comfortable.

I will have to check out the other stores you mentioned, thanks.
When I'm shelling out however much money for a good beer, I like to know it's been properly stored... Sitting out on a shelf at room temp (or above) and subject to plenty of light can't be good long term.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
When I'm shelling out however much money for a good beer, I like to know it's been properly stored... Sitting out on a shelf at room temp (or above) and subject to plenty of light can't be good long term.

Aren't there lights in the rooms where it's cool? I can see if it sits on a shelf for a year or two, or even many months, but if the stock is rotated properly when the new shipments come in, I don't see the big problem.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Has anyone had that granville island ginger beer? My liquor store started selling it recently, but it's ten bucks for a bottle, so I'd like someone's opinion before I go for it.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Aren't there lights in the rooms where it's cool? I can see if it sits on a shelf for a year or two, or even many months, but if the stock is rotated properly when the new shipments come in, I don't see the big problem.
Not to the same extent.

I'm not saying that because they're out on a shelf I'm not going to buy them. I'm just saying if I see an open-top 6 pack with a lighter colour glass and a bit of dust on it at Wine and Beyond, I'm probably going to hesitate to buy it. See that same one in the cooler at Sherbrooke and it's not going to bother me.

I realize that's a pretty specific example but all I'm saying is I prefer the beer selection (and pricing) at a few other stores in Edmonton over Wine and Beyond and the fact that their storage isn't as adequate isn't doing them any favors. If I didn't find Wine and Beyond a bit pricy and I liked their beer selection more, and it was the most convenient store for me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:24 AM
cheesed-off*

Carmelite, triple grain, triple brewed. Best beer on earth.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:03 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
Carmelite, triple grain, triple brewed. Best beer on earth.
Do you mean Tripel Karmeliet?

Old
11-03-2012, 10:10 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Do you mean Tripel Karmeliet?
Yes, I do.

Part of me feels special kinship with you.

The other part wishes to punch you in the face.

Hahaha jest joking my alcoholic friend - no need to respond in any way !

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:24 AM
the pen is mightier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
Yes, I do.

Part of me feels special kinship with you.

The other part wishes to punch you in the face.

Hahaha jest joking my alcoholic friend - no need to respond in any way !
I see what's going on here. Well done, sir. Well done.

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:27 AM
cfrancis

Muskoka Twice as Mad Tom.

Ohhhh **** this is good. First ever DIPA from Ontario as a regular listing in the LCBO. Welcome to the 21st century!

Old
11-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Muskoka Twice as Mad Tom.

Ohhhh **** this is good. First ever DIPA from Ontario as a regular listing in the LCBO. Welcome to the 21st century!
Oh man I can't wait to try that one!

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
This is the skinny, craft beer is unpasterized. So it is like keeping milk. Sitting in warmer temperatures will make the beer go bad faster than being cooled.

Wines and Beyond basically is wasting a bunch of product and producing bad results for said breweries. Someone may grab a bottle one day and then think it's **** and never want to try another beer from said brewery. Honestly if I had a brewery and saw them storing my beer on their shelf that way I'd pull my products from that store.

Macro breweries on the other hand can handle the warmer temperatures due to the additives in the beer to make it last longer for shipping purposes. This is often why it's harder to find craft beers from other provinces here in AB. Some breweries don't have cooler trucks to ship beers and the ones that do like Garrison and Propeller in Nova Scotia the pirce it noticeably different. 6-pack gioes for about 10-12 bucks in NS and they sell for like 16-18 here in AB.

Also the ABV of a beer determines how long it can sit for tooa regular 5% or lower ABV beer has a lower shelf life than say a 10% abv beer. This shelf life is drastically reduced if kept in the warm. A 5% beer will likely last for 6-months in a cooler and probably no longer than a month at room temperature. It's just the way it works you know science and all.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Well what if you want to get really drunk when you go camping or are partying? Liquor is good, but cheap beer is better for drinking games. Yeah, I like St Arnolds and Shiner a lot, but they are entirely different beers with entirely different purposes.
Are you still in the 18-25 range where you have planned getting drunk parties?

If getting drunk is your thing then you can do it easily with just a few solid big beers. In the end it's less calories for you and less adjuncts going into your body. On top of that the hangover isn't as bad either when you just get drunk off of barley surgars instead of adjunct sugars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
He was talking about coors original.

I dont believe in expensive beer, like paying 20$ for a 6er of Brewsters off sales. As long as its cold and reasonably drinkable ill enjoy it.
Haha don't believe in expensive beer. So then you don't believe in beer at all.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Hoogaar23

I meant to post in this thread a few weeks ago. Friend of mine sent me a couple of cases of Westvleteren 12 (all the beer made it, but 2 of the 4 glasses unfortunately didn't survive - I drank to their memory)

So yeah - that **** is f'in great. Could very well be the best beer I ever had. Most definitely top 5. I started with an Orval just to get my taste buds warmed up (there is no funner beer to pop open with your lighter than an Orval - cap flies straight across the room with a loud POP every time, and scares the crap out of anyone within 20 feet!)

After 1 Orval and 3 Westvleteren 12, I must say I had a pretty good buzz going. I really wanted to crack open the other 6, but figured I'd save them for a year or so. That was a few weeks ago, and they keep teasing me every time I walk by them...don't know that they'll make it past the holidays.

It's a lot of money for beer, but like a few posters above said, would rather have one of those than 6 Bud/Coors/Molson/Whatever. Very easily at that.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote