HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012-2013 NHL Lockout Discussion Thread

View Poll Results: Will there be any NHL games before 8/15/13?
Heck yeah! 11 44.00%
Only on my Playstation 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Elliotte Friedman (Hockey Night in Canada)
Quote:
@FriedgeHNIC
NHL informs teams games up to and including Nov. 30 will be cancelled. As far as I know, there was no mention of Winter Classic.
Makes the total games missed for the Coyotes at 20 (25% of the season). To miss the Winter Classic will hurt because I know of a ton of people that started watched the NHL again because of the "Snowy Classic".

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
NHL lockout could cost Glendale millions

Quote:
"We are looking at a $60,000 revenue loss to the city per game," said Glendale spokeswoman Jennifer Stein.
http://ktar.com/22/1584528/NHL-locko...ndale-millions

20*60,000=$1.2M in direct revenues lost through November.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:19 PM
amjay13

vCash: 500
John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross
NHL sources tell me the NHL will cancel Winter Classic and All Star Game. Announcement presently scheduled for Monday.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

And so, the nuclear winter begins!!!

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross
NHL sources tell me the NHL will cancel Winter Classic and All Star Game. Announcement presently scheduled for Monday.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...gs-source-says

Quote:
The NHL has decided to cancel the Winter Classic, which was slated to feature the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at the University of Michigan's football stadium in Ann Arbor on Jan. 1, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Friday.
And so the spitting on the fans continues.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:48 PM
doaner

Just cancel the whole damn thing!

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Just cancel the whole damn thing!
I'm at this point too now.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I'm at this point too now.
I couldn't care less anymore. I'll watch NAU and the sun dogs. I won't pay for an NHL game this year.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
I couldn't care less anymore. I'll watch NAU and the sun dogs. I won't pay for an NHL game this year.
I loved going to the NAU hockey games when I was up there!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think losing the Winter Classic is an omen for the season. I believe that was pretty important to the owners, it being cancelled is just one less bargaining tool for the players IMO.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I don't believe there will be a season this year. And the longer he lockout continues, the less I care.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:25 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I don't believe there will be a season this year. And the longer he lockout continues, the less I care.
Ding ding ding. I'm with you there. I wish I could go back in time and not get my nhl13 game. What a waste! Oh well.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I think losing the Winter Classic is an omen for the season. I believe that was pretty important to the owners, it being cancelled is just one less bargaining tool for the players IMO.
It could be a move that bites the NHL in the long run as the Winter Classic is an important tool towards gaining new fans to the NHL. Of course the more this goes on, the less I will give a **** especially if well, you guys already know the rest as I have talked about it too many times as is at HFBoards.

Anyways, Don Fehr, make your next stupid move!!!

Old
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Ding ding ding. I'm with you there. I wish I could go back in time and not get my nhl13 game. What a waste! Oh well.
Indeed and just a meme to share.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:33 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
It could be a move that bites the NHL in the long run as the Winter Classic is an important tool towards gaining new fans to the NHL. Of course the more this goes on, the less I will give a **** especially if well, you guys already know the rest as I have talked about it too many times as is at HFBoards.

Anyways, Don Fehr, make your next stupid move!!!
I'm pretty pissed off at the players to be honest, they waited so long to start talking to the owners about the CBA. They should have known the NHL was going to lockout. Their request to keep playing while negotiating wasn't going to stand, that just would have been a way for the players to say "things are good enough you let us keep playing", etc.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I'm pretty pissed off at the players to be honest, they waited so long to start talking to the owners about the CBA. They should have known the NHL was going to lockout. Their request to keep playing while negotiating wasn't going to stand, that just would have been a way for the players to say "things are good enough you let us keep playing", etc.
This is something where both sides are to blame and I don't trust either sides word all that much in the blame game. From what I understand, the NHL didn't want CBA talks to overshadow the NHL playoffs.

From my take on this I find it sad that pro-sport unions even exist seeing that there is no need for them given the amont of money these athletes make. While I do understand why the unions are there in pro-sports, to me unions are more meant for those in non-management positions who are trying to get by in this world and where management cannot be trusted.

I'm mad at the NHL here because all of us were told that having a salary cap will be the best thing ever for the health of the league that we will never be down this road again as a result. Despite record revenue, we are here again as the result of the NHL wanting more money at the expense of the players who the league blames are the problem to why only certain teams make money while others don't. As far as I'm concerned, the players are not responsible for those in management who(and will in the future) find ways to circumvent the cap and find loopholes in the CBA that played a role in the kinds of contracts the different teams have.

Let's say this 50-50 deal is agreed upon at some point, what? All the teams are going to start making a profit and not scream poverty in the future? Management is going to be fair and play by the rules as they expect the players to?? No more trying to find ways around the the CBA and such? No more of the league locking out players if they don't agree to take another hit salary wise?

I could go on and on but like I said before I don't get too caught up in the pro-business or pro-union spin here for reasons I have talked about before.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:57 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I'm pretty pissed off at the players to be honest, they waited so long to start talking to the owners about the CBA.
You can thank Fehr for that. He thinks it's a great negotiation tactic.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If this latest development is taken at face value (always a shaky proposition, I know) than the players are getting a far greater offer than I ever imagined the league would make. The 50/50 split and the "make whole" provision (as I currently understand it, which is admittedly not well yet) are so much better than what I suspect can be justified by at least two thirds of the teams in this league. The offer is more than fair. It's frankly too generous for most teams, I would guess. I never imagined the NHLPA would get the right to refuse such a thing. The fact that they will refuse it makes my blood boil.

11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
MP

Quote:
From my take on this I find it sad that pro-sport unions even exist seeing that there is no need for them given the amont of money these athletes make. While I do understand why the unions are there in pro-sports, to me unions are more meant for those in non-management positions who are trying to get by in this world and where management cannot be trusted.
I... think you just refuted your own argument.

Are you so naive as to think that, because we're talking about pro athletes rather than machinists, the owners would be automatically disposed to divide the revenues equitably, or in a manner that accurately reflects the value of the players' contribution to those revenues?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:12 PM
hbk

If you want to blame someone blame the NBAPA and the NFLPA who accepted a much lower percentage of revenues (50% and 48% respectively). That's the market for PA's like it or not. NHLPA knows this and is dragging their feet to stay higher.

We can argue their strategy all night long but if the rumors that the NHL made another concession in negotiations are true than how can you argue that in the end it's not working for Fehr? It's only November 2nd. Season isn't cancelled yet and the NHL has likely already given more up than they ever intended to offer.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Indeed and just a meme to share.

Not his fault. Players and owners. Don't see what people don't get about that. I wouldn't let games occur either if these two sides hadn't come to an agreement. Plus if it weren't for Bettman, the Coyotes would be gone by now, AP.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:36 PM
lockstock

I grew up in the midwest. We would drive 3 hours to St. Louis or Cincinnati for 5-10 games every year. I could tell you most of the players names and stats. Until 1994. I've been to 2 games since. I haven't had a favorite baseball player since I was a kid.

I'll go back to hockey, but it's going to be tough. I'm a fan of the team, but I'm pissed at the players. This is totally on the players in my opinion. No one could foresee the Canadian dollar skyrocketing against the American dollar. A lot of the growth in revenue which affects the players' take was artificially high when they convert it to US dollar that the NHL runs on. I hope the players get a 48-50 stake shoved down their throats and then the American dollar recovers in a few years. Those record revenues won't be so huge anymore and the players' share will be even smaller.

I fully understand why the owners are where they are. Then players are overpaid buffoons.

lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:02 AM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 197
Quote:
It could be a move that bites the NHL in the long run as the Winter Classic is an important tool towards gaining new fans to the NHL.
I started watching minor league games my senior year in HS, right after the 1980 Olympics (do the math, I'm old). I went to some NDSU games when I was stationed in Grand Forks in the Air Force and even made a road trip up to Winnipeg to watch the Jets play the Bruins. We just walked up and got tickets if I remember correctly. Life happened, went overseas and lived in some non-hockey markets for a while. And had a few kids that ate up a good deal of time and money. I stopped following hockey pretty much.

I remember watching the first Winter Classic in 2007 and thinking it was so cool to watch hockey on New Year's morning. It made it feel wintery in AZ.

Later that year the wife and I went to our first Coyotes game. The kids were at a point where we could leave them alone and not have to pay for a sitter. We started getting the 4-game Howliday Packs the next year as anniversary presents to each other. Been to quite a few games and am proud to be a Coyotes fan, but I'm pretty sure the Winter Classic brought me back to hockey.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:27 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
I grew up in the midwest. We would drive 3 hours to St. Louis or Cincinnati for 5-10 games every year. I could tell you most of the players names and stats. Until 1994. I've been to 2 games since. I haven't had a favorite baseball player since I was a kid.

I'll go back to hockey, but it's going to be tough. I'm a fan of the team, but I'm pissed at the players. This is totally on the players in my opinion. No one could foresee the Canadian dollar skyrocketing against the American dollar. A lot of the growth in revenue which affects the players' take was artificially high when they convert it to US dollar that the NHL runs on. I hope the players get a 48-50 stake shoved down their throats and then the American dollar recovers in a few years. Those record revenues won't be so huge anymore and the players' share will be even smaller.

I fully understand why the owners are where they are. Then players are overpaid buffoons.
Which is why I think it is hilarious that the majority of fans on this board firmly believe that AT LEAST two American teams should be immediately relocated to Canada. Can nobody remember ten years ago? Then again, there was a poll conducted several years ago, and I believe the overwhelming majority of posters on this forum are between sixteen and twenty one years old. I guess it sort of makes sense that they can't remember a time when the Nordiques relocated to Colorado, the Jets to Phoenix, and both Alberta teams were a smurfs **** hair away from going to Houston and Portland. Ottawa had huge problems, too. If the American economy hadn't tanked, this league might have three Canadian teams.

Can anyone tell me how the Canadian dollar will stack up to the USD in ten more years? Haha.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:33 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Which is why I think it is hilarious that the majority of fans on this board firmly believe that AT LEAST two American teams should be immediately relocated to Canada. Can nobody remember ten years ago? Then again, there was a poll conducted several years ago, and I believe the overwhelming majority of posters on this forum are between sixteen and twenty one years old. I guess it sort of makes sense that they can't remember a time when the Nordiques relocated to Colorado, the Jets to Phoenix, and both Alberta teams were a smurfs **** hair away from going to Houston and Portland. Ottawa had huge problems, too. If the American economy hadn't tanked, this league might have three Canadian teams.

Can anyone tell me how the Canadian dollar will stack up to the USD in ten more years? Haha.
your history is bang on and I like to bring that up as well to some of my overzealous countrymen.

here's the thing with Canada right now. we are a resource heavy country and the price of resources and commodities like grain are moving upward as world demand goes up with population growth and the industrialization of third world countries. Canada is actually sitting pretty. Their biggest concern at this point is the US Dollar (and US exports) and whether or not their Asian markets can support the exports that would be required if US demand drops significantly with the depreciation of the US dollar.

Quebec and their love affair of threatening succession is not such a glowing market. They too have resources but their provincial debt is a problem and if they push for independence the rest of Canada could very well go tell them to go blank themselves. If that happens and they actually have to pay their own way their dollar could be equivalent to that of a third world country.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote