HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 AUS Regular Season Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 06:02 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Did it ever come to your mind AUS and Williehound, that these players want to come to UNB for the program, winning attitude, attendance, more exposure to scouts due to challenging exhibition schedules (NCAA/AHL)?
I have talked to many players, such as Wright, who recommended the program to Braes. Same reason why Culligan and McNeil chose the program instead of SMU and X through Clendenning and the winning attitude. They want to come to the program! That's why they are not at X or SMU!
Exactly, success breeds success....and many of these guys still want to chase the pro dream after they finish school and there is no denying UNB's track record of moving guys onto the ECHL/AHL in recent years.

Like he mentioned as well, you can't underestimate the importance of your own players in the recruiting process...Clendenning/Culligan/MacNeil/MacDougall all played for Cape Breton, Bailey/Wright/Braes for Lethrbidge, Mahon/Hennigar/Bowman all for Windsor....

I dunno...it seems like instead of relying on a silly rule to level the playing field the coaches who are complaining should work harder/get more creative when it comes to trying to bring in better players.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:20 PM
WilcoxHound

Unfortunately there is only one winner at the end of the year. Some people seem to need the boost of being part of a winner even if that means just keeping stats. I prefer the player who works his butt off to make the team he is with a winner, the guy who chooses the team based on how much ice time he is going to get and whether or not he can earn the chance to be a leader. I didn't spend all my spare winter time on a frozen pond because I needed adulation, I played because I didn't want to come off the ice.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:31 PM
STUTOMMIES

Wake up and smell the coffee UNB fans. The points have been raised here over the past several posts but they are worth repeating.

All of those teams that Bruins Fan noted have tier 2 or lower players in the line up. That is why it wasn't a big deal. They were filler. UNB had a lot of meat in the stands that any team in the CIS would have taken, in fact the kids sitting would be regular players on most if not all other teams.

WHound is right, hockey players want to play hockey. Sitting in the stands doesn't help them achieve that goal. Saying that you watched your team win a national title isn't the same as playing.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:12 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Wake up and smell the coffee UNB fans. The points have been raised here over the past several posts but they are worth repeating.

All of those teams that Bruins Fan noted have tier 2 or lower players in the line up. That is why it wasn't a big deal. They were filler. UNB had a lot of meat in the stands that any team in the CIS would have taken, in fact the kids sitting would be regular players on most if not all other teams.

WHound is right, hockey players want to play hockey. Sitting in the stands doesn't help them achieve that goal. Saying that you watched your team win a national title isn't the same as playing.
But as UNB Bruins Fan stated, both Wudrick and Wiebe were recruited by UNB throughout the summer, but who only showed up at Christmas because the pro route didn't work out. That's not UNBs fault. What should they have done, turn away 2 forty goal scorers? Hardly. And from what I heard, Denny approached UNB, which would make sense due to his connections to Roger Shannon.

Besides, what's stopping the other coaches in the AUS from going after players in the same manner they're accusing Gardiner of? You can be damn sure UNB wasn't the only school recruiting Wudrick and Wiebe but those 2 players obviously chose UNB for whatever reason.

SuperSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:30 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
They were filler. UNB had a lot of meat in the stands that any team in the CIS would have taken, in fact the kids sitting would be regular players on most if not all other teams.

Surely these players don't choose to come to UNB without knowing what they are getting into, though. At the end of the day it is the players decision whether they want to go to a particular school or not....and I am almost certain more than UNB was after Wudrick and Wiebe, so they probably had some other options. Unless they were promised playing time or something...then that would be another story.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Exactly, success breeds success....and many of these guys still want to chase the pro dream after they finish school and there is no denying UNB's track record of moving guys onto the ECHL/AHL in recent years.

Like he mentioned as well, you can't underestimate the importance of your own players in the recruiting process...Clendenning/Culligan/MacNeil/MacDougall all played for Cape Breton, Bailey/Wright/Braes for Lethrbidge, Mahon/Hennigar/Bowman all for Windsor....

I dunno...it seems like instead of relying on a silly rule to level the playing field the coaches who are complaining should work harder/get more creative when it comes to trying to bring in better players.
Actually also pencil in John Scott Dickson with Windsor to Mahon/Hennigar/Bowman

I heard tons from the players over the years gardiner barely has to do anything regarding recruiting, the Players work off themselves, the tradition has built more and more since 1995, and has gotten stronger every year

regarding Geordie Wudrick, hes a very unselfish guy and well liked, no so far it hasn't worked out on the stats sheet but thats so far. Remember Kevin Henderson what did he have his first year 4 goals and 9 assists or less? Next season 50 Points and a Pro Deal

BTW what has become of the Pete Beliveau situation?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Acadia embarrassing UNB 3-0 after first period thanks to 3 pp goals.

Undisciplined play by UNB (again) + sub par play from defense (first goal was result of brutal turnover at UNB blue line) and goaltending (another bad night for Fullerton so far) + explosive Acadia offense featuring the best forward and d-man in the conference, that had been struggling with the PP and was due = not pretty.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-26-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 07:24 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

4-0 after 2....UNB looks absolutely lost out there right now...they only had a couple of shots in the period. I think the loss of Stamler/Harty/Gallant is having a bigger effect on their offense than most people would have thought. They are definitely getting pinned in their own zone way more so far this year, which means less time with the puck/in the other team's zone.

Such a frustrating team right now...they play really good last weekend and turn around and are getting blown out for the 4th time already this year.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:52 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
4-0 after 2....UNB looks absolutely lost out there right now...they only had a couple of shots in the period. I think the loss of Stamler/Harty/Gallant is having a bigger effect on their offense than most people would have thought. They are definitely getting pinned in their own zone way more so far this year, which means less time with the puck/in the other team's zone.

Such a frustrating team right now...they play really good last weekend and turn around and are getting blown out for the 4th time already this year.
Have to admit, I didn't get a chance to watch any of the game tonight. So Fullerton got the start. I would have thought LaCosta would have gotten the call because of his exceptional play last weekend. With Fullerton taking the loss tonight, his 2nd in 3 starts, will LaCosta emerge as the new No. 1?

SuperSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Doesn't overly surprise me Fullerton got the start...he has been great against them in his career and he was due for a start...but I am starting to think LaCosta gets more of the action going forward either he stumbles or Fullerton gets back to his old self.

Fullerton didn't look particularly sharp on a couple of the goals tonight. The first one he was completely fooled by Eckelman on a deke in close, 2nd one was a shot from a ways out but it was by Clark and on a 5-on-3 with lots of traffic in front....he might not have even seen it, I never seen the 3rd goal by Laberge because the web-cast cut out on me, and the 4th one he left a juicy rebound for a streaking Thompson. He just doesn't look confident right now...or his head isn't into it...something isn't right.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:26 PM
RED ARMY EAST

UNB vs Acadia

Not surprised, I think home ice advantage is going to be absolutely huge come playoff time. Shots favoured UNB slightly. Acadia 3 for7, UNB 0-2. That's a big difference in pp time.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Not surprised, I think home ice advantage is going to be absolutely huge come playoff time. Shots favoured UNB slightly. Acadia 3 for7, UNB 0-2. That's a big difference in pp time.
UNB were 0 for 3 on the pp in the first period...and had at least another one.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Alpine

Aigles 7-2 Huskies

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Rob

Acadia 4 UNB 2 - I think the Axemen may have just replaced UNB as the #1 team in the country.

UdeM 7 SMU 2 - Huskies not as good as last year but still a very impressive win by Les Aigles.

Dal 3 UPEI 0 - These two teams will probably be battling for the last playoff spot all season.

STFX 3 STU 2 - Heartbreaking loss for the Tommies as X scores with just under 3 min left in the game.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:52 AM
AUS Fan

I made the trek from the Super City to Acadia for the game. Axeman were the better team in all aspects of the game. PP (obviously) and PK were clicking. I thought the UNB D-Men (especially Todd) would be able to lug the puck on the big ice, but no....The UNB big guns were silent; Pridham had a decent game; Swan, Nesbitt, Carroll, Culligan all nowhere to be seen for the most part. Total team effort by Acadia with the Gaynor line again leading the way IMHO. I fullly expect UNB to bounce back tonight at DAL.

SMU loss in Moncton is not a big surprise, but the score is embarassing.

Goal scoring still an issue for UPEI.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Dal up 1-0 after first against UNB. Daley blew past a UNB defender on the outside (something that has happened way too often so far this year) and threw the puck in front where someone put in (can't remember who it was).

Swan is out for UNB and Culligan took a hit to the head early on and I don't think he has returned.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old
10-27-2012, 08:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB over Dal 4-2 with an empty netter....never seen the 3rd but it was 1-1 after two periods.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:09 AM
AUS Fan

Good effort by Dal, but you could see that UNB was rolling in the 3rd. I didn't see Critchlow or Culligan on the bench for most of the 1st period. Critch appeared half way thru and Cully was there the last couple of minutes of the period. He had a couple of shifts in the 2nd and not much else. Swan was suffering from the hit he took Friday night in Acadia.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
timbitca

Moncton 9
Acadia 8
UNB 8
StFX 7
UPEI 6
SMU 6
DAL 5
STU 0

Well, from the looks of it so far after 3 weekends... I think it'd be safe to say were in for another one of our usual crazy seasons in the AUS. 3 point difference from 1st place to out of the playoffs. Yet again, anybody can beat anybody or scare them at least from what we saw of DAL last night...

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Moncton 9
Acadia 8
UNB 8
StFX 7
UPEI 6
SMU 6
DAL 5
STU 0

Well, from the looks of it so far after 3 weekends... I think it'd be safe to say were in for another one of our usual crazy seasons in the AUS. 3 point difference from 1st place to out of the playoffs. Yet again, anybody can beat anybody or scare them at least from what we saw of DAL last night...
UPEI really surprised me by beating Acadia. Axemen had 44 shots on goal so they didn't take the night off. Savage is arguably the best goalie in the league right now. Mosher was in nets for the Axemen.

I think this will be the most exciting year in the AUS yet. It definitely isn't a given that the VReds will be finishing first this year. In fact they may not even get a first round bye (which would be for the first time in six years).

With the exception of STU every team is in it.

Last edited by Rob: 10-28-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Rob

UNB 5 STFX 3 - VReds jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead. Owsley with a great game in nets for X to keep it close. X almost made the comeback in the third.

SMU 7 UPEI 5 - High scoring game for the Panthers. Lead changed hands several times. Huskies leapfrog Panthers for 4th place.

Acadia 3 STU 2 - Backup goalie Justin Collier for the Tommies makes 46 saves to keep it close.

Moncton 4 Dal 2 - The boxscore says that this one was played at the Metro Centre?

Old
11-03-2012, 09:10 AM
AUS Fan

Correct. There is a home show in the Forum this weekend. SMU is on the road, so no problem, right? But, Dal plays there now as well. Both weekend games will be downtown in front of 10,000 empty seats.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:05 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Moncton 4 Dal 2 - The boxscore says that this one was played at the Metro Centre?
Could have fooled me, I was sure we played in a funeral home last night. God, what a boring game.

Didn't make it any better that security had all the people sit on the same side as we had our cameras so it seemed to people watching the game on webcast that there wasn't a soul in the place. Had at least 5 calls/text's during the game wondering if there was something wrong in the Halifax area that there was no one at the game.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:27 AM
RED ARMY EAST

UNB vs X

UNB, had dominated most of the game and the score could easily have been 6-1, at one point.
Terrible start for X, that had them down 3 goals early in the first period. The last 10 minutes were furious, as X scored 2 quick goals. The second was a lucky screen shot that found it's way into the top of the net. Kidd and McNeil were out for the V-Reds. Not sure if it was a numbers issue or injury related.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:31 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Moncton

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Could have fooled me, I was sure we played in a funeral home last night. God, what a boring game.

Didn't make it any better that security had all the people sit on the same side as we had our cameras so it seemed to people watching the game on webcast that there wasn't a soul in the place. Had at least 5 calls/text's during the game wondering if there was something wrong in the Halifax area that there was no one at the game.
This team keeps rolling along, it will be interesting to see the results of their big road game tonight against Acadia. Are both teams healthy?