Notices

No More Lockout Blues! - 2012 Lockout Part 2 [UPD: AGREEMENT REACHED!]

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 05:47 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
On H&L, they just mentioned that the league has a new proposal, based on the last one. The make whole is still a deferred thing, but this time, the "make whole" portion is coming out of the owners side of the HRR going forward. Sounds like they want immediate relief, and will pay back out of their share of HRR going forward.

Could be good news, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much yet.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:47 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
On H&L, they just mentioned that the league has a new proposal, based on the last one. The make whole is still a deferred thing, but this time, the "make whole" portion is coming out of the owners side of the HRR going forward. Sounds like they want immediate relief, and will pay back out of their share of HRR going forward.

Yea I had heard Lebrun mention this was one of the possibilities......I believe this was always their for the PA IF THEY HAD COUNTERED at the last minute to save the 82 game schedule? Still a puzzling strategy Fehr is working on.......on another note Shane Hnidy mentioned on the Rona Round table that on the PA conference call yesterday 3 different player reps spoke up and said the players on their respective teams wanted to get back to the table and get a deal done. I know it's only 3 out of 30 but sometimes you just need the first few to speak up to get the ball rolling. these two pieces of news from both sides at similar times could indicate the sides "MIGHT" want to salvage a part of this season.

What is so sensless is that this has been there to be had since the last NHL offer IMHO.

Mind numbing really!

Old
11-02-2012, 10:11 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
I was ever the optimist until this point but now that the Winter Classic is toast I don't see any of the season being salvaged. At least Ill make 30 dollars in interest on my portion of season tix.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post

I don't know how you can have any kind of "make whole" provision now that there have been games lost plus the Winter Classic has been cancelled - it's hard to see how the league would come close to generating $3.3 billion in HRR for 2012-13. So how are you going to pay anyone their full salary without losing your shirt? It's a strange notion, if the NHL is, in fact, offering it.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:14 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I don't know how you can have any kind of "make whole" provision now that there have been games lost plus the Winter Classic has been cancelled - it's hard to see how the league would come close to generating $3.3 billion in HRR for 2012-13. So how are you going to pay anyone their full salary without losing your shirt? It's a strange notion, if the NHL is, in fact, offering it.
It would still work. Players salary / ( 82 games minus games not played ), so they woulnd need to generate 3.3 billion, since players dont get paid per year, but as per games played.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I miss Claude Noel.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:39 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Oh god. I'm starting to get hopeful again with this new offer on the table. Make it stop.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
It would still work. Players salary / ( 82 games minus games not played ), so they woulnd need to generate 3.3 billion, since players dont get paid per year, but as per games played.
But if you prorate based on the length of the season, that's not "making whole" - 72 instead of 82 games is 12.2% less...which happens to be almost exactly the same as going from 57% of HRR to 50%.

Anyway, there aren't many details about this so it's all speculation...

Old
11-03-2012, 11:55 AM
scelaton

Quote:
But if you prorate based on the length of the season, that's not "making whole" - 72 instead of 82 games is 12.2% less...which happens to be almost exactly the same as going from 57% of HRR to 50%.

No, making whole never guaranteed contract money if games were not played. Lost games=lost money for the players, forever.
It's really unbelievable that, eg, Hainsey is letting $5 million slip through his fingers this season. He'll never, ever earn that kind of salary again. Remind me again what lofty principle he is standing up for--world peace, the environment, child poverty.....
Insanity.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:07 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
No, making whole never guaranteed contract money if games were not played. Lost games=lost money for the players, forever.
It's really unbelievable that, eg, Hainsey is letting $5 million slip through his fingers this season. He'll never, ever earn that kind of salary again. Remind me again what lofty principle he is standing up for--world peace, the environment, child poverty.....
Insanity.
He is standing up for the right for future Ron Hainsey's to pocket 5 Million a year playing hockey, while people that keep order, save lives, and try to find a cure for cancer make less than 2% of that!

Old
11-03-2012, 12:14 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:

Maybe I am missing something here (which is completely possible ) but if the season goes to 72 games, sure the players are losing 10 games worth of the contract but (to me anyways) they will still be getting 57% of the league hrr because the owners are now collecting 10 less games.

if the owners were collecting 82 games worth and the players were getting 72 games worth, then what you stated were to make sense to me.

maybe I just haven't got my head around all this cba garble

Old
11-03-2012, 04:05 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
The players would get prorated salaries of whatever remains of the season at the make it whole level which we would assume is higher than 50/50. Gm0ney I think the key is the contracts would still be linked to HRR so the dynamics of escrow would still be in play to adjust for dips or increases in HRR and how that impacts salary adjustments. Stating it simply the players salaries would still be subject to adjustments visa vie the escrow process. At least that is my take.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:35 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Oh god. I'm starting to get hopeful again with this new offer on the table. Make it stop.
Yeah, me too. Hasn't worked so far, but I refuse to believe we won't have hockey some time this season. They really don't seem that far apart especially after the last owner consession.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:31 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

So does the "secret location" mean anything? Are they finally gonna try and hammer out a deal without a horde of media waiting outside?

Old
11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Bongo

You guys ought to scoot down the road to The Ralph and see the UND team. Their weekend series with BU is outstanding.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:03 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
You guys ought to scoot down the road to The Ralph and see the UND team. Their weekend series with BU is outstanding.
I thought about doing that, and a friend warned me that I may not be able to enjoy a nice beer with the game. Is this true? Is the campus dry, or is the arena technically not on-campus??

Old
11-03-2012, 09:39 PM
flyingjay

vCash: 1500
They DEFINITELY were not dry during the World Juniors. 60% of the fans were half smashed half an hour before the Gold Medal puck drop. And I remember they had plastic beer bottles (they looked like glass ones).

Not sure if their policy has changed since then.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:57 PM
puck stoppa

You can drink at the Ralph but not at the Alerus Centre where the football team plays.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Bob E

I does seem that they are inching towards getting a deal.

If this falls thru, and the season is lost, we won't see NHL hockey until next November or December at the earliest. That's just wrong.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Daynz
What!?!

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. If the NHL and NHLPA sign a new CBA within the next week, does the winter classic get un-cancelled?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:27 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daynz View Post
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. If the NHL and NHLPA sign a new CBA within the next week, does the winter classic get un-cancelled?
Unfortunately not.
The reason the game was cancelled was so that the NHL didn't have to make a second payment to the University of Michigan on November 2nd.
Season or not, there will be no winter classic this year.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Daynz
What!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Unfortunately not.
The reason the game was cancelled was so that the NHL didn't have to make a second payment to the University of Michigan on November 2nd.
Season or not, there will be no winter classic this year.
Thank you for answering my question.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:57 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daynz View Post
Thank you for answering my question.
Always happy to help when I can

Old
11-04-2012, 09:46 AM
sully1410

The good news is...with the time change they have an extra hour to figure **** out today!

Old
11-04-2012, 01:21 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
The good news is...with the time change they have an extra hour to figure **** out today!
Not if the meet in Saskatchewan

Closed Thread