HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
I dunno, I think that was probably the best result possible for the Esks.

Nichols looked decent, Sherritt gets the record, the Esks crossover against an easier opponent.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
11-03-2012, 07:30 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
The games @ Toronto is so early it's at like 10:30 mt I don't want to wake up that early on Sunday
Kickoff isn't until just after 11 and if you don't turn your clocks back tonight, it will be after 12. There's another 90 minutes of sleep right there.

You're welcome.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:42 AM
AJGass4

What a weird season.

Start off getting wins with great D and thinking Jyles is a starter. Well, in Reed's mind and some of us fought for him.

D starts to slip and it shows how bad Jyles is on some nights. Enter Joseph who basically looked less than average, pulls off two huge wins and then is god awful again and with the injuries we have/had, we don't even look like we could beat a high school team.

Coaching horrendous for most of the season, demote Crandell who should have been canned last season after his horrific game plan in the West Final. Coaching continues to be horrendous after a two game hiatus and it makes me wonder how a guy like Reed cannot see what alot of fans see.

Enter Matt Nichols whom after seeing him play the first time, I thought was just terrible. No arm to speak off and I'm wondering what the hell? We are grooming this guy? Almost pulls a win out of his arse against Montreal and plays pretty well last night from what I've heard as I didn't see the game. Seems to be a no brainer to start him nexxt week, but then again not alot of brains in the decision making department on this team.

So what it comes down to. We cross over and play the guy most have complained about being traded for nothing. I am starting to think it was a wasted trade but I'm not upset we got rid of RR. Not sure about TO as I only watched them play against us and wasn't overly impressed by RR or TO in general. Not sure if they were trying to tank the game Thursday or not but letting Hamilton score 40 points on you is somewhat disturbing.

I've sort of lost my passion for this team this season and it's really not because of all the losses, the coaching staff seems dysfunctional at the best of times and that might play a big part in it. I have enjoyed JC, Laurent, Howard and Stamps. Hugh Charles made a huge case for himself and these guys seem to have a ton of heart which I love watching. No quit in any of them. I would take a full team of JC's and his absolute desire to play to the final whistle no matter the score on my team any day.

All I know is that if we knock off TO and RR next week, there will be a big smile on my face for this team and Replacement. The guy tried to find positives on this team each week and made me keep reading post after post.

Let's hope this team can show some Eskie Pride and give Replacement one helluva good Sunday, he deserves it.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
A record of 7 wins and 11 losses and they still get into the playoffs.

Only in the CFL.
Quote:
Yeah a 44% winning percentage is pretty bad...a 38% WP is...well...
Posts like this remind me of the famous quip theres lies, lies, and damned statistics. As we all realize the Eskimos in 4 games failed to execute getting the winning pts in FG position. Our record just as easily could be 11-7. I'll hold onto that knowing this is a better football club than the record indicates. But hey, if opponents want to take us lightly on this basis they're welcome to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Hemsky View Post
You think that's bad, in 1981, Ottawa qualified for the Eastern playoffs at 5-11 and Montreal also did at 3-13!

All five Western teams had a better record. Ottawa caught fire in the playoffs and jumped out to a 20-1 lead against Edmonton in the Grey Cup before the Esks won their 4th in a row on a last second FG. Yes, only in the CFL.
Yeah and I'm surprised there could be older Eskimos fans that don't remember that. That Ottawa club was on fire and played us hard in the first half. Sure they caught an Esks team that wasn't matching intensity from the start but it was arguably the biggest test we had in the 5 year Grey Cup run. Had against a club that was viewed unworthy.

The whole nature of the CFL is "on any given Sunday" proverbially speaking. ANY team making the playoffs can get on a run at the right time. Any team that is a favorite can go the other way just as quickly. Indeed uncertainty is the nature of one game playoffs. What you want to accomplish is going into them with as much personnel, strategies, a run game, and the feeling within the locker room that you are a good team and can win. Hell often times its arguably an advantage to be perceived as an underdog.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
All I know is that if we knock off TO and RR next week, there will be a big smile on my face for this team and Replacement. The guy tried to find positives on this team each week and made me keep reading post after post.

Let's hope this team can show some Eskie Pride and give Replacement one helluva good Sunday, he deserves it.
Thanks for the kind words there. As per usual, and no prompting was needed (just some sleep) heres my rundown.

Firstly, did this feel like a Win or Loss? I ask that seriously because after watching that game I felt we were the better team. (Sure Calgary didn't have Lewis, or Cornish in the second half but we were doing a good job on Cornish anyway and the receiver replacing Lewis was arguably more effective)

Anyway, I got the feeling from watching last night that the club accomplished what it wanted to for at least 3/4 quarters. Also that the team wasn't always going by script or strictly for the win but seeing what it could do in different situations. For instance a team thinking win first isn't gambling from FG position on 3rd and 11 when they are down 3 pts later in the game. The same team doesn't high five and celebrate near the end of the game when they've just allowed game winning FG position and a first down on a CFL record tackle.

The reader can be assured that in the Eskimos dressing room the players realize they're as ready as its going to get. That this team is better than the score indicated and that they largely dictated out there.

What we established is a run and got 3 RB's some reps and back in the game which gives us a lot of options. Also gives opponents a hell of a time to scout. Lets be clear here as well. Anybody can throw the "whats wrong with Boyd" right out the window. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Boyd starts next week and see's the ball at least 10 times and rams it like he did last night. What an effort. Messam started getting into it as well after several reps. McCarty had some feeling good after bouncing off tackles in search of a first down marker. People should pause and reflect how many plays the guys made out there. Stamps is on fire and has been unstoppable in the last half dozen contests at least. Any team facing him is engaging in damage control, i.e. how do you even limit him.

Finally, of course, we've established Nichols. Half baked, sure, but its why we have the type combination of veteran backup and youth that this team has modeled before. Nichols gives us much different options and gives the D trying to scout him fits. Specifically downtown fits. Heres the thing, you can't load up blitz on Nichols and presume that you will get the sack while leaving one on one downfield. Stamps will eat that **** for breakfast and Nichols will often buy time to get it there. Koch has also been a reasonable longball threat most of the season. What I like is we're spreading it out and have established a short game and long game and can deliver either on any given play.

This is the thing right now with Toronto. Busy scouring limited game films on Nichols(not knowing much about what he brings), wondering which Boyd or any will be playing next week, wondering what schemes we will use after unwrapping several over the last 5 games. (I wonder how many notice all the outside, off tackle, stunts, different looks, motion, etc, that we're running lately. As a hint nearly every Boyd run last night was doing something we haven't done much of this year.) Which reminds me that the teams that saves some schemes for the right time is often better off than clubs that have showed everything trying to get there and peaked at the wrong time (Saskatchewan).

This Eskimos team is a club that is much better than record has indicated that has played it cool. Played their cards close to vest. I never discount this type of team, I wouldn't want to be facing them.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-03-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old
11-03-2012, 10:51 AM
jadeddog

while i agree that we are likely 2 wins better than our record indicates, that still only puts at 9-9 and in 3rd place in the west.... still a pretty terrible year, and it was *literally* 100% (or 90% anyhow) to do with not having a QB all year... something that could have easily been avoided - very frustrating

we might beat toronto, sure, but we'll get annihilated against montreal so it doesn't much matter.... we better have an answer at QB for next year

Old
11-03-2012, 10:52 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
All five Western teams had a better record. Ottawa caught fire in the playoffs and jumped out to a 20-1 lead against Edmonton in the Grey Cup before the Esks won their 4th in a row on a last second FG. Yes, only in the CFL.
I recall that game and it was particularly memorable for me.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:07 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
You think that's bad, in 1981, Ottawa qualified for the Eastern playoffs at 5-11 and Montreal also did at 3-13!

Good call. I remember that 1981 Grey Cup with that Ottawa team...well, at least the 2nd (good) half. I was just teenager and woke up at half time extremely hungover and couldn't believe the score.
Luckily I witnessed a very good 2nd half of football and watched the Esks rally and win the game 26-23. I believe George Brancato was the Riders coach and IIRC he used to wait until the NFL cuts were available at which point he would stock up. It was a strategy that worked well for Brancato and the Rough Riders during those years as they won a Grey Cup as well.
Only in the CFL.

Again only in the CFL can you have 9 teams and and manage to still have 2 teams with the same name.

More recently only in the CFL can 6 teams out of 8 (75% of the League) make the playoffs.

While I joke that this 'only happens in the CFL' in a way it almost has a charm about it...sort of like a hokey, cheesy episode of the original Star Trek series. The poor special effects and wooden acting are accepted as part of the package and it entertains.

With the CFL you watch the poor refereeing, the ridiculous playoff format and everything else that makes the CFL unique (and obviously inferior) and you accept it and allow yourself to be entertained.
Despite all its obvious flaws and quirks I love this League and despite my *****ing and moaning about the crappy reffing and the ridiculousness of the league itself, coupled with the circus side show we currently have for an Eskimo team, I will always be a fan.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:12 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Posts like this remind me of the famous quip theres lies, lies, and damned statistics. As we all realize the Eskimos in 4 games failed to execute getting the winning pts in FG position. Our record just as easily could be 11-7. I'll hold onto that knowing this is a better football club than the record indicates. But hey, if opponents want to take us lightly on this basis they're welcome to it.
Thats a silly game to play.
We could easily pick apart every game and detail how lucky the Esks were time win some of the games they won.
The 7-11 record is reflective of the quality of the team and most assuredly the quality of the offence.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Six in O6

six losses by three or fewer points is almost unheard of. I think you'd have to go back quite a bit to see that narrow of a margin of defeat over so many games. Obviously, these things happen for a reason. They are slow starters, they are botching field goals. But I think this team is a bit better than the record implies. I mean, I think we all want those two labour day games vs the Stamps back. That really was the turning point of the season.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:17 AM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
More recently only in the CFL can 6 teams out of 8 (75% of the League) make the playoffs.

While I joke that this 'only happens in the CFL' in a way it almost has a charm about it...sort of like a hokey, cheesy episode of the original Star Trek series. The poor special effects and wooden acting are accepted as part of the package and it entertains.

With the CFL you watch the poor refereeing, the ridiculous playoff format and everything else that makes the CFL unique (and obviously inferior) and you accept it and allow yourself to be entertained.
Despite all its obvious flaws and quirks I love this League and despite my *****ing and moaning about the crappy reffing and the ridiculousness of the league itself, coupled with the circus side show we currently have for an Eskimo team, I will always be a fan.
to be fair, there was a time when the 16 of 21 NHL teams made the playoffs

Old
11-03-2012, 11:24 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
to be fair, there was a time when the 16 of 21 NHL teams made the playoffs
Yup...for about 10 years at which point (after expansion)they had the sense to not maintain that ratio.

I will have to look up what the CFL did during their expansion into the US in the 90's because I believe they expanded the teams who qualified for the playoff as well.

The 90's and (the details of) the US expansion are just another example of the goofiness of this League.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
six losses by three or fewer points is almost unheard of. I think you'd have to go back quite a bit to see that narrow of a margin of defeat over so many games.
Winnipeg lost like 10 games of less than 7 points with the incomparable Jyles at the Helm 2 years ago. That's pretty bad.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
I believe the exact opposite of everything you said here.

I think we will beat Toronto and I also believe that if we do, the quarter of football Nichols got to play against Montreal last week (bringing the team back but falling just short) will be a blessing in disguise.

I think, in 3 weeks, we will be in another indoor Grey Cup - like in 2005.
Toronto played pretty motivated in a nothing game against Hamilton. Ray is coming off 800 yards passing in the last 2 games he played. I'd say it will be a very tough game for the Esks to win. I hope they do it but will not be too surprised they don't. If they keep their usual stupid penalty parade to a minimum, they got a chance. Any team has a chance in a one game playoff, but the odds are against them.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Winnipeg lost like 10 games of less than 7 points with the incomparable Jyles at the Helm 2 years ago. That's pretty bad.
Was that the year Jyles had the third best QB rating among starting quarterbacks?

He was even better than that Ray kid.

What the hell happened?

Old
11-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
six losses by three or fewer points is almost unheard of. I think you'd have to go back quite a bit to see that narrow of a margin of defeat over so many games. Obviously, these things happen for a reason. They are slow starters, they are botching field goals. But I think this team is a bit better than the record implies. I mean, I think we all want those two labour day games vs the Stamps back. That really was the turning point of the season.
The biggest issue with this team this year is not being able to close out games... they were usually horrendous in the 2nd half minus a few games

Old
11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
The biggest issue with this team this year is not being able to close out games... they were usually horrendous in the 2nd half minus a few games
If they were any good the games shouldn't get to that point.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:51 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Toronto played pretty motivated in a nothing game against Hamilton. Ray is coming off 800 yards passing in the last 2 games he played. I'd say it will be a very tough game for the Esks to win. I hope they do it but will not be too surprised they don't. If they keep their usual stupid penalty parade to a minimum, they got a chance. Any team has a chance in a one game playoff, but the odds are against them.
Thats my take as well.
Aside from the reality that anything can happen in a 1 game series the other thing that does bode well for the Esks is that the Argos defence has been suspect most of this season.

Its a hell of a lot to ask that Nichols be the one to guide this team in a playoff game but he is the best chance they have to win IMO.

I am not sure what that says about Tillman and the Esks.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:55 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
If they were any good the games shouldn't get to that point.
Given that three of them were against Calgary, that doesn't say much for them, does it?

Old
11-03-2012, 12:57 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Was that the year Jyles had the third best QB rating among starting quarterbacks?

He was even better than that Ray kid.

What the hell happened?
Thats a pretty clear illustration of an abberation. Jyles has never been remotely close to a 100 rating before or after.

Ray has either been over 100 or within 10 points of 100 for 90% of his career.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:59 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Given that three of them were against Calgary, that doesn't say much for them, does it?
They are not the same team with their backup QB at the Helm.

Having said that I would have much rather had Glenn running this offence than Joespeh or Jyles.

Goes to show just how bad the Ray trade was compared to the Burris trade.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:18 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
They are not the same team with their backup QB at the Helm.

Having said that I would have much rather had Glenn running this offence than Joespeh or Jyles.

Goes to show just how bad the Ray trade was compared to the Burris trade.
They still had Cornish.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:24 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
They still had Cornish.
Well...BC still has Harris if Lulay isn't playing.

I am not sure what your getting at here.

This is clearly a QB driven League.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I dunno, I think that was probably the best result possible for the Esks.

Nichols looked decent, Sherritt gets the record, the Esks crossover against an easier opponent.
Best result possible was to have Edmonton and Saskatchewan to win. We still go East in that case but with a victory behind us for morale purposes.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Best result possible was to have Edmonton and Saskatchewan to win. We still go East in that case but with a victory behind us for morale purposes.
There was No way that was happening in this life time. If the Esks won, the Riders would clearly have not.

Closed Thread