HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Make Whole, Not War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XIX

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 12:57 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

vCash: 500
I think it was former CBC exec John Shannon on one of the sports talk shows that pointed out there were thousands of part time jobs needed to pull this event off for one, and its not fair to all those people to leave them hanging and possibly miss out on other jobs over christmas holidays.

But more than that, the WC is supposed to be a real celebration event and it needed all the leadup time of the whole season in order to maximize the advertising leverage of saying Firestone Winter Classic over and over. Plus the behind the scenes leadup in the classic NFL films style that everyone realizes is so key to marketing is key for advertising too. Without all that, its just a hockey game outside.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:02 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

So with the location of today's meetings unknown, I guess we should expect very few updates? Figure that this is a case of no news is good news for the moment.....

Old
11-03-2012, 01:11 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
So with the location of today's meetings unknown, I guess we should expect very few updates? Figure that this is a case of no news is good news for the moment.....
Probably. Anyone know when they were supposed to meet? Or is that also unknown.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Probably. Anyone know when they were supposed to meet? Or is that also unknown.
I think the whole point of it being secret is so little info gets out and is spread thru the media in positive or negative ways as in the past. I'm sure if they want us to know what went on they will have statements after. But seeing as we are nearing the final hour, I'd hope that both sides stay away from the media. The less media statements the better for the negotiations.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:28 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
I think the whole point of it being secret is so little info gets out and is spread thru the media in positive or negative ways as in the past.

But this is the Twitter era. All it takes is one twit with a Twitter account to fabricate an 'insider report' and it gets legs. Gone are the days when lying would have permanent impact on a journalist's credibility. Twitterers aren't journalists, have no credibility, and people still circulate their fantasies as though they were facts.

You can't stop the spread of info (be it accurate or false) in 2012. Info (be it accurate or false) will spread. Your best bet is to make sure the info that does spread is accurate, and secrecy and silence doesn't do that.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:31 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Formal or otherwise, the fact the owners are willing to cover the costs of Make Whole is in play. I'm surprised D.Fehr isn't more pleased.

As I said many times last night, the offer reported on Make Whole was made verbally on Tues...B.Daly to S.Fehr. Part of lengthy discussion.

Rather than criticize language of reports, PA leadership would be better served working on ways to make a deal for its players.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
@ChrisBottaNHL: In memo to PA, Don Fehr shoots down report of Make Whole concessions. In text, player calls report "latest NHL smokescreen"

For gods sake then do something nhlpa . Joke
Stonewall till Dec. 2013?

Last edited by Tra La La: 11-03-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old
11-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:

Formal or otherwise, the fact the owners are willing to cover the costs of Make Whole is in play. I'm surprised D.Fehr isn't more pleased.

As I said many times last night, the offer reported on Make Whole was made verbally on Tues...B.Daly to S.Fehr. Part of lengthy discussion.

Rather than criticize language of reports, PA leadership would be better served working on ways to make a deal for its players.
If only people would listen to him. I feel bad for the guy, he's only doing his job, reporting. I bet he would love to not report on this and instead talk about actual hockey rather then this CBA stuff. It's not like he ignored the Winter Classic cancellation, its just when you get a hold of information, you have to break the news. In journalism its almost always about getting that breaking news first.

Old
JAX

[QUOTE=CBJBrassard16;55489811]Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Rather than criticize language of reports, PA leadership would be better served working on ways to make a deal for its players.[/QUOTE]

imagine that thought....

Old
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

For the record, it was a player related source who provided the tip and the NHL reluctantly confirmed the story just before 6pm Fri.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

Gee, who does Darren back?

I'm under the impression that a meeting is taking place today, confidentially. Most people would interpret that as having something substantive to discuss.

Quote:

For the record, it was a player related source who provided the tip and the NHL reluctantly confirmed the story just before 6pm Fri.

Perhaps the reason they indicated the meeting was confidential.

So let's review. The player side doesn't want to meet, but there is a meeting, and the original story was NHL spin and NHLPA refusal to talk...... or something like that.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:41 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:

Fehr is a weasel. He either gets exactly what he wants or he's not making a deal. If I were the NHL, I would take one of their "proposals" and alter it in a way that greatly benefits the owners. Then tell Fehr to pound sand.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:42 PM
EveryDay

Wake up NHLPA!!!! its time to accept the DEAL....

Old
11-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Fehr is a weasel. He either gets exactly what he wants or he's not making a deal. If I were the NHL, I would take one of their "proposals" and alter it in a way that greatly benefits the owners. Then tell Fehr to pound sand.

That was their last proposal. A collective bargaining needs two side's to be collective.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Wake up NHLPA!!!! its time to accept the DEAL....

What is the DEAL? Can you outline it for us following along at home?

Old
11-03-2012, 01:44 PM
JAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

I'm under the impression that a meeting is taking place today, confidentially. Most people would interpret that as having something substantive to discuss.

Perhaps the reason they indicated the meeting was confidential.

So let's review. The player side doesn't want to meet, but there is a meeting, and the original story was NHL spin and NHLPA refusal to talk...... or something like that.
I would say the side that is at least trying to negotiate.....

Old
11-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
I would say the side that is at least trying to negotiate.....

Are they or are they not meeting today? And reportedly, confidentially to avoid media scrums. To me, at least, that sounds like they want time to reach their constituencies if there's any type of forward movement so that they can actually act on something if it's acceptable to both sides.

My two cents.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

And there goes the theory that the NHL let this slip to soften the blow of the Winter Classic Cancellation. Not good for the PA considering Fehr essentially postulated the same thing in the media. Now its coming out that it is one of his own.

Also, player related source sounds like someone within the PA (a lawyer?) or a disillusioned agent. I think he would say player if it was a player.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:

Yeah, but the problem is that the Players and the Owners absolutely HATE each other more and more everyday! So much so right now they are starting to see each new offer from the other as a ''smokescreen'', a ''ruse, an ''insult'' instead of negociating in good faith.

Basically, I think that because of that growing hatred and all the money and games that have already been lost for both sides, we're fast approaching a point where each side will be in a mindset where, instead of negociating in good faith to get a good deal, they'll ONLY accept total victory and the unconditional surrender from the other side. Something ridiculous in a labour conflict about a few percents of revenues!

In other terms, they'll think of the other side as the ''enemy'' to ''defeat''. And will see every move the other side does in a bad light.

If it goes that far, it will only end in a looooooong time, when one side ''caves in'' completely, and with two losing sides (only with one that loses slightly less), instead of two equally winning sides.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Are they or are they not meeting today? And reportedly, confidentially to avoid media scrums. To me, at least, that sounds like they want time to reach their constituencies if there's any type of forward movement so that they can actually act on something if it's acceptable to both sides.

My two cents.
I think there is pressure from both owners and players to stop the posturing and explore what ways there are to move forward.

The media scrums are mostly posturing mixed with information/desinformation, so I could see why they decide to skip those for the time being.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Not to say the players are caving...they're not, but they want focus to remain on negotiations and away from petty memos to media.

I'm certain of this, based on number of texts received from players. They want a deal and want their leadership to focus on getting it done.
Sounds like more discontent with the way the PA is handling itself.

IMO, a deal is going to happen sooner rather than later. Hockey in December?

Old
11-03-2012, 01:58 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra La La View Post
Stonewall till Dec. 2013?
Was that cited NHLPA deadline of Dec 2013 really stated by them? I would assume it to be just sabre rattling and posturing but it would still be a ridiculous statement.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
And there goes the theory that the NHL let this slip to soften the blow of the Winter Classic Cancellation. Not good for the PA considering Fehr essentially postulated the same thing in the media. Now its coming out that it is one of his own.

Also, player related source sounds like someone within the PA (a lawyer?) or a disillusioned agent. I think he would say player if it was a player.
Or there could just be a limited number of individuals who know what's going on and he's being as vague as possible so the source isn't outed and cut off from further info.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Or there could just be a limited number of individuals who know what's going on and he's being as vague as possible so the source isn't outed and cut off from further info.
That's a good point.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Gus Fring

Dregger and Mike Rupp going at it a little on twitter now

Closed Thread