HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 01:15 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
This is not what I meant because Hall is far from physical I meant he is the one who will get destroyed and gets career ending injury if he keeps going like a blind chicken from place to place.
Hall definitely needs to do a better job of keeping his head up:

That said, in this particular case, it was Brodin who was playing blind.

Last edited by worraps: 11-03-2012 at 01:21 PM.
worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooers View Post
Jesus... it was a good hard hit, when did hockey fans become such pansies. Unbelievable this watered down non-contact league everybody wants to watch nowadays
I feel the same way. Hall would have thrown himself into the 5th row? Has anyone seen Hall skate? He wasn't even at half speed when he delivered that hit. He is a thick kid and if you're not protecting yourself when he hits you, you're probably going to get hurt. That's what happened here. Brodin reached for the puck and got the full impact. Hall is one of the best skaters in the game. If he was going full speed like some people are trying to say he was...he might have ended Brodin's career.

Does this stride look even REMOTELY close to what we saw last night when he delivered the hit?

The answer is no. Quit being over dramatic so you have someone to blame. It's a terrible thing that Brodin got hurt but that was a hockey play. It was 100% legal...and I don't even put blame on Brodin. It was just something that can happen and it did.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:35 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

On the Hall hit;

The Barons are getting dominated. I think most of the players who can play a gritty game know they have to play a tougher game to go with the abundance of youth and skill they have on that team.

They recalled Abney and acquired Zahn...I'm sure they arent trying to injure, but they do need to match some of the hitting and intensity they are seeing from the opposing teams.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

As a neutral fan on Hall's hit on Brodin. I didn't like the hit from Hall, but Brodin puts himself in a bad position too.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Abolish hitting.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:37 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
As a neutral fan on Hall's hit on Brodin. I didn't like the hit from Hall, but Brodin puts himself in a bad position too.
Agreed. It was a reckless hit and while I understand Hall was not intending to injure Brodin, it was still a stupid play. Even more so when you see Edmonton beat writers whining about how Edmonton players are apparently getting deliberately targeted and even Hall himself have said that.

Last edited by thestonedkoala: 11-03-2012 at 02:54 PM.
thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:38 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
I agree I don't think Hall ment to hurt Brodin but I think it borders on dirty but Brodin also put himself in a bad spot.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:44 PM
topchowda

I think hitting has no place in hockey, its much better when guys run around with their head down doing fancy plays. I think playing on skates injures people too because they go to fast. It would be better to make them play in shoes and on a wooden floor. Also, playing with a small puck contributes to players being confused of where it is. The puck should be changed to a large ball shape device so players can surely see. It order to compensate for the larger ball goalie should be removed from the net.

Next, equipment has contributed to players getting hurt, so players should only play in shorts and a jersey. In order to avoid accidents behind the net, the net or "basket" should be evaluted 9 feet off the ground and players can shoot the "basket" ball into the net. Since its hard to shoot with a stick players can use their hands and there will be a varying degree of points for each shot made at different areas of the "court"

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 02:46 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I think hitting has no place in hockey, its much better when guys run around with their head down doing fancy plays. I think playing on skates injures people too because they go to fast. It would be better to make them play in shoes and on a wooden floor. Also, playing with a small puck contributes to players being confused of where it is. The puck should be changed to a large ball shape device so players can surely see. It order to compensate for the larger ball goalie should be removed from the net.

Next, equipment has contributed to players getting hurt, so players should only play in shorts and a jersey. In order to avoid accidents behind the net, the net or "basket" should be evaluted 9 feet off the ground and players can shoot the "basket" ball into the net. Since its hard to shoot with a stick players can use their hands and there will be a varying degree of points for each shot made at different areas of the "court"
Again, it is absolutely awful that Granlund and Brodin were injured but with that at out of the way:

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:10 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Again, it is absolutely awful that Granlund and Brodin were injured but with that at out of the way:

I feel for Minny fans, injuries to top prospects in horrible, anyway i think people have made up their mind on whether the hit was clean/dirty so no use arguing anymore. The only final thing I want to address in the "charge." The puck was loose around the net when Hall started skating, he didnt take strides when brodin had the puck, only when it was loose.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:13 PM
whooers

Quote:

thank you for this!

whooers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

Just got word from AHL,THall's match penalty has been rescinded. League viewed hit as shoulder to shoulder. He can play tonight vs Aeros
https://twitter.com/JSportsnet

League definitely got it right. Keep your head up Brodin.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

I understand what you're saying and I agree to an extent.

Quick question though, how will you feel about your position when a player gets seriously injured(I'm talking life threatening) even though a play was just a hockey play?

Obviously hockey is meant to be played with physicality, but players are bigger and stronger, and are not impervious. If someone is crippled or killed because a player makes a strong 'hockey play' you still okay with that? You can play physical without trying to kill the other team.

Last edited by Stop Winnin: 11-03-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 03:32 PM
topchowda

Quote:

Quick question though, how will you feel about your position when a player gets seriously injured(I'm talking life threatening) even though a play was just a hockey play?

Obviously hockey is meant to be played with physicality, but players are bigger and stronger, and are not impervious. If someone is crippled or killed because a player makes a strong 'hockey play' you still okay with that?
Ofcourse thats the worst thing that could happen and I hope it never does. Oilers prospect Taylor Fedun broke his femur last pre season and that can be a life threatening injury. The play was totally a hockey play (against minny weird enough) . My position is that injuries caused by hockey plays are unavoidable. It order to prevent injuries we would have to completely change the game. The reason hockey is exciting and people watch it is because of the high speed and energy. As a result of the players get injured. To change the game would maybe prevent injuries, but make it less enjoyable.

But

Injuries resulting from non hockey plays (cooke on savard) are totally avoidable. Those plays sicken me because they intend to injure someone. They have no place in the game and show the lack of respect players have. Those plays can be erased with no ill effects to the actaul style of hockey we have now.

Getting back to hockey plays. Those injuries are a two way street. Yes players hit hard and sometimes connect with the head, but thats because the game is so fast its almsot unavoidable. But also, players must keep themselves safe, they have to be aware of their surrounding and not put themselves in a vulernable position. I do not mean to mock brodin, but what are halls options in that situation? He is going for the loose puck, then has to make a hit once brodin gets there first.

Does he not go to the loose puck? If not he will get berated for being lazy.
If he doesnt make the hit he gets sat for letting Brodin make the play and not making the hit.

Now if Hall had jumped/thrown an elbow, that is unexcusable because he could have made an effective play without doing that. In this situation making the hit was the correct hockey play and the injury that resulted in very bad, but as a result of a hockey play, not a dirty play

Just because I say injuries from hockeys plays are unavoidable doesnt mean I dont feel for gusy that get serious injuries. Its part of the game. Player sign up knowing the dangers. I wish noone the pain of getting a serious injury

Old
11-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Neatman

Quote:

Obviously hockey is meant to be played with physicality, but players are bigger and stronger, and are not impervious. If someone is crippled or killed because a player makes a strong 'hockey play' you still okay with that? You can play physical without trying to kill the other team.
I think another reason every single Oil fan was ok with the hit is that we've watched a creampuff team get run over for years. For once it's an Oiler player laying a hard, and maybe borderline, check. It sucks Brodin was injured, but frankly it's a little refreshing to watch an Oiler lay a vicious check after years of being on the receiving end of them as a team.

Open question to Minnesota fans. Would Cal Clutterbuck have laid that hit? He's a huge fan favorite in Minnesota...

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:39 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

Quote:
You can play physical without trying to kill the other team.
How can you know if someone is "trying to kill" or if injuries are coincidental? A lot of the time it isn't obvious.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:46 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

This is hockey people, not cards.

GuillaumeLetsundress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:51 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

As a Minnesota fan, I think it's just the hypocrisy coming from the Edmonton journalists and some of their fans. An article was posted after the first Houston/OKC game and one of the journalists was whining that Edmonton players were being deliberately targeted, including Granlund's errant stick whack to Nuge's face. Furthermore, Hall was whining earlier in the week as evident here:

http://twitter.com/HockeyGalindo/sta...87992897814528

Quote:
Taylor Hall, who complained earlier this week of teams targeting elite players, gets a match penalty for checking Brodin in the head. Hmm.
about being teams targeting elite players and he goes and does something stupid like that? He's going to have to keep his head up and his head on a swivel.

As Wild fans, we're used to this sort of BS and I think partly because Shanahan didn't do anything (nor apparently will the AHL) teams will continue to take liberties and runs at Wild players/Aero players because why not?

It's just frustrating as a Wild fan. If this happened to a guy like Gardiner or Schultz? The board would be flooded with Leaf/Oiler fans whining about how their team is being targeted and how unfair it is and how the player should get a suspension. The Wild have had a TON of injuries due to very questionable hits the last two years and how many suspensions have resulted in it? I think 1 and Clutter didn't even get injured.

BTW here's the article: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/10/2...-target-in-ahl

Old
11-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
How can you know if someone is "trying to kill" or if injuries are coincidental? A lot of the time it isn't obvious.
I agree, and I was referencing Hall's hit, it wasn't that malicious IMO.

I was talking more generically about what topchowda's sarcastic comment was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda
Ofcourse thats the worst thing that could happen and I hope it never does. Oilers prospect Taylor Fedun broke his femur last pre season and that can be a life threatening injury. The play was totally a hockey play (against minny weird enough) . My position is that injuries caused by hockey plays are unavoidable. It order to prevent injuries we would have to completely change the game. The reason hockey is exciting and people watch it is because of the high speed and energy. As a result of the players get injured. To change the game would maybe prevent injuries, but make it less enjoyable.

But

Injuries resulting from non hockey plays (cooke on savard) are totally avoidable. Those plays sicken me because they intend to injure someone. They have no place in the game and show the lack of respect players have. Those plays can be erased with no ill effects to the actaul style of hockey we have now.

Getting back to hockey plays. Those injuries are a two way street. Yes players hit hard and sometimes connect with the head, but thats because the game is so fast its almsot unavoidable. But also, players must keep themselves safe, they have to be aware of their surrounding and not put themselves in a vulernable position. I do not mean to mock brodin, but what are halls options in that situation? He is going for the loose puck, then has to make a hit once brodin gets there first.

Does he not go to the loose puck? If not he will get berated for being lazy.
If he doesnt make the hit he gets sat for letting Brodin make the play and not making the hit.

Now if Hall had jumped/thrown an elbow, that is unexcusable because he could have made an effective play without doing that. In this situation making the hit was the correct hockey play and the injury that resulted in very bad, but as a result of a hockey play, not a dirty play

Just because I say injuries from hockeys plays are unavoidable doesnt mean I dont feel for gusy that get serious injuries. Its part of the game. Player sign up knowing the dangers. I wish noone the pain of getting a serious injury
I agree with what you said, Brodin definitely put himself in a bad position, I also think that Hall could have pulled up a bit, I think he could have hounded him for the puck, played the body but been more careful about it, that's all I'm saying.

Yeah, hockey is supposed to be played with speed and physicality, but what happens when someone gets gravely injured, and I'm betting it will happen sooner rather than later the way the game has been progressing.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:01 PM
topchowda

Quote:
I agree, and I was referencing Hall's hit, it wasn't that malicious IMO.

I was talking more generically about what topchowda's sarcastic comment was trying to say.

I agree with what you said, Brodin definitely put himself in a bad position, I also think that Hall could have pulled up a bit, I think he could have hounded him for the puck, played the body but been more careful about it, that's all I'm saying.

Yeah, hockey is supposed to be played with speed and physicality, but what happens when someone gets gravely injured, and I'm betting it will happen sooner rather than later the way the game has been progressing.
Ill might agree that maybe Hall could have held up once Brodin got the puck, but its a very quick game, so he may not have time to do that. Hall is the one at ice level, we watch on a grainy feed picking it apart second by second, maybe he thought Brodin would beat him wheeling around the boards. Or maybe he was excited since it was his game in 8 months.

The only way the game will change is once player understand the gravity of their actions and the consquences of concussions. There is also the issue of how much we as fans encourage big hits and the influences that things like "TSN hit parade" or Don Cherries biggest hits have on players actions

But this is not the forum to discuss that on. Hopefully tonights game has some fights but no injuries. Wonder if Eberle/Hall sits out (RNH did last night, since that have a triple header)

Old
11-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
This is not what I meant because Hall is far from physical I meant he is the one who will get destroyed and gets career ending injury if he keeps going like a blind chicken from place to place.
Brodin had tunnel vision on that play had he held up and let the guy with a head of steam get to the puck he could've then defended him. Regardless of what you think of Hall, Brodin put himself in a bad position. I doubt that we see him make that mistake again in his career as he's a quick learner.

11-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Apparently Marincin took a head shot earlier in the game and Hall was drilled along the player bench side of the ice but I guess that's o.k.? Houston has made it a point of playing our stars hard so it has made these games chippy. Hall and RNH are guys that will dish it out when the situation calls for it, Eberle not so much.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:18 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
As a Minnesota fan, I think it's just the hypocrisy coming from the Edmonton journalists and some of their fans. An article was posted after the first Houston/OKC game and one of the journalists was whining that Edmonton players were being deliberately targeted, including Granlund's errant stick whack to Nuge's face. Furthermore, Hall was whining earlier in the week as evident here:

about being teams targeting elite players and he goes and does something stupid like that? He's going to have to keep his head up and his head on a swivel.

As Wild fans, we're used to this sort of BS and I think partly because Shanahan didn't do anything (nor apparently will the AHL) teams will continue to take liberties and runs at Wild players/Aero players because why not?

It's just frustrating as a Wild fan. If this happened to a guy like Gardiner or Schultz? The board would be flooded with Leaf/Oiler fans whining about how their team is being targeted and how unfair it is and how the player should get a suspension. The Wild have had a TON of injuries due to very questionable hits the last two years and how many suspensions have resulted in it? I think 1 and Clutter didn't even get injured.

You mean the match penalty that was rescinded today because the league said it was a hit to the shoulder?

Face it, neither injury was a dirty play. It sucks that they got hurt and I wish them quick recoveries, but calling Oiler journalists and fans hypocrites isn't accurate. Our guys have been targeted with questionable plays like the knee on Eberle and fans and media have a right to bring that up. Hall did nothing wrong, and defending that position isn't hypocrisy.

BTW - you guys aren't the only ones that have had to suffer through injuries.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:22 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post

I take exception to this part. "Does something stupid like that"? It's called bodychecking and league deemed it to be clean by rescinding the match penalty.

Hall wasn't targeting Brodin because he was an elite player. He targeted him because he was the defenseman who had the puck while Hall was forchecking. The proper play is to get in fast and lay a hit hoping to cause a turnover. It's not Hall's fault Brodin put himself in a bad position.

RipsADrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 05:08 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You mean the match penalty that was rescinded today because the league said it was a hit to the shoulder?
Yes.

Quote:
Face it, neither injury was a dirty play. It sucks that they got hurt and I wish them quick recoveries, but calling Oiler journalists and fans hypocrites isn't accurate. Our guys have been targeted with questionable plays like the knee on Eberle and fans and media have a right to bring that up. Hall did nothing wrong, and defending that position isn't hypocrisy.
It is hypocrisy. They are going to get targeted. Our players are going to get targeted. any big name players are going to get targeted now as the AHL is the new NHL. But it's absolute hypocrisy when your players play with an edge like that. You don't do that and then go to the media and whine that you are getting targeted.

Quote:
BTW - you guys aren't the only ones that have had to suffer through injuries.
No, but we've had a lot of questionable hits in the past 2 years not called.