HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simmonds Target of Racism in Czech league game

Old
10-30-2012, 11:15 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
You may be right. That depends on the definition of racism we are thinking of. Personally I don't think this chant is a good thing to do, I'm just saying this most likely was caused by hate towards something he did, not towards his skin colour.
Let me clear this up with good ole detective work....

— n
1. the belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others
2. abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief

I would say given the circumstances all arrows point to it being a VERY racist remark, can't dent that. To say otherwise, is also retarded! - read my previous post on THAT definition if you need it clarified.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:57 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I understand what zorz, is trying to say. The morons who said this probably don't walk around day to day with racist thoughts going through their heads. They were just finding the most obvious, hurtful thing to say. But shame on them, and the act itself was racist even if the people there (even the a-holes) normally aren't.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-31-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Site rule #2 is issued for clarification.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:37 PM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
So there's been an interesting development - the club was able to identify five fans who engaged in the racial abuse. Now they are on a list of people not allowed to attend home games and Chomutov made their names public on their webpage. Very strict, but I like it.

Last edited by RebelMe: 11-01-2012 at 02:49 PM.
RebelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 02:41 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMe View Post
So there's been an intereseting development - the club was able to identify five fans who engaged in the racial abuse. Now they are on a list of people not allowed to attend home games and Chomutov made their names public on their webpage. Very strict, but I like it.
That is interesting...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
klikkar

Quote:
So there's been an interesting development - the club was able to identify five fans who engaged in the racial abuse. Now they are on a list of people not allowed to attend home games and Chomutov made their names public on their webpage. Very strict, but I like it.
Also, nine people have been arrested and are being questioned.

klikkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
What dopes..they deserve the bad publicity. It would have been better for them to be raided at an illegal massage parlor and embarrassed in public ..much happier ending

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 09:10 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I think people should be held accountable for what they say. Wish more places around here would do that.

11-03-2012, 03:34 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikkar View Post
You can get arrested for racism over there?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:55 PM
klikkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
You can get arrested for racism over there?
You can get up to two years, but if anything, they will probably end up with parole?(not sure what its called in US). Basically, do that again and you get jail time.

klikkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I believe "probabtion" is the correct term instead of "parole". You can end up getting in trouble here, but I don't know what the punishments are for each state; likely a fine. I believe it would fall under "Disturbing the Peace?" No idea, I'm not a lawyer. I'm also not sure what Canada does.

11-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Quote:
Originally Posted by klikkar View Post
The issue being here is that there is not a lot of proof in regards to WHO is being arrested and questioned. There has been a very heavy handed approach by Czech police, and perhaps innocent people here are being caught up in the mess

http://velvethockey.blogspot.co.uk/2...of-racism.html

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanik View Post
The issue being here is that there is not a lot of proof in regards to WHO is being arrested and questioned. There has been a very heavy handed approach by Czech police, and perhaps innocent people here are being caught up in the mess

http://velvethockey.blogspot.co.uk/2...of-racism.html
Well, that might be the case, but if in Czech law such behaviour constitutes a criminal act, then people having to testify upon being questioned isn't a matter of choice anymore. You HAVE to tell the truth in regards to what you know about criminal acts that have occurred, otherwise you yourself can be charged of perjury. There are usually "out clauses" in regards to that, where the law does not require a person to testify against someone, but that is usually restricted to cases, such as immediate family and spouses, not friends or fellow fanclub members. Unless they have strong evidence of who it was that was chanting and whether the behaviour really did constitute a criminal act as per the criminal code, public shaming could come and bite them in the ass. And even if they do have strong evidence of who did it, I don't think public shaming has any place in a modern society.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Lurking Pens fan coming in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I never thought this kind of behavior would happen in Europe. What with how evolved and worldly they are. I thought racism was mainly an American thing. I mean - over here we eat popcorn and in Europe that's animal feed.
I'm afraid not, Gert... you got that European image all wrong. I used to suffer from the same affliction until I saw some clips a few years ago and talked to a few Europeans who don't have this attitude. You have to remember in most of those countries, there is only a tiny percentage of the population that is of African descent. When I suggest they are "less integrated" I don't mean in the civil rights era "use the same restroom" sense, but culturally they are less integrated, visible, respected in European societies.

As for the racist fans, during multiple European soccer matches over the last decade, fans by the thousands in some cases have chanted and jumped like baboons when players of African descent pass by, throwing banana peels and all sorts of despicable behavior. There is far more latent racism among the European middle class than there is in the US (i.e. people who are supposed to be "educated and enlightened"), believe it or not.

They're liberalized towards sexual orientation issues and drug use in some places, but on issues of race and even religion, they are behind the curve compared to Americans. Many Europeans are now with their attitudes, where many Americans were in the 1950s.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote