HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
What is wrong with him? Why wasn't he drafted? Why was he shipped around in the OHL between three teams? Why did San Jose give him up for NOTHING? Somethings gotta be wrong with him? What?!

This is sucha mystery to me. If someone could please explain it, then please go ahead..
Several junior teams is not really a bad thing. Often good players are traded to good teams.

I think his size combined with not putting up a lot of points before his draft year made him go undrafted.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
What is wrong with him? Why wasn't he drafted? Why was he shipped around in the OHL between three teams? Why did San Jose give him up for NOTHING? Somethings gotta be wrong with him? What?!

This is sucha mystery to me. If someone could please explain it, then please go ahead..
Not really, these things happen quite often. Tanner Pearson was passed over twice in the NHL draft until he became a first round pick this past June. (30th - LA)

Sgarbossa went undrafted in 2010 after putting up 52 pts in 67 games with Barrie and Saginaw. Then he was invited to the Sharks camp and signed to a contract based on his performance, so it's not like he kept getting passed over.

Why was he overlooked? Scouts probably thought he was too small or that his offensive game wouldn't translate to the pros. (wrong)

Why was he given up by the Sharks for nothing? (well Galiardi, Winnik and a pick) Well, it's starting to look more and more like a panic move by the Sharks and a big mistake.

There are A LOT of players who put up big points in the CHL and then turn pro and struggle early on with a more competitive league and experienced players. Usually these players will put up less numbers to begin the season and then turn it up in the 2nd half of their first season or in their 2nd second depending on how long it takes them to adapt to the new speed of the game. That hasn't been the case with Sgarbossa, not even close.

Each time I've seen him with the Monsters, he's shown me that he's one of the better creative players on the ice. Just the fact that he's producing at close to a PPG this early is truly impressive and signs that he's going to be a player.

He is going to need to get stronger physically though and make sure to stay healthy as he's taken more than one nasty hit already so far this season.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

He was a pint sized player who didn't get a lot of chances to show off his offensive potential with his teams early on in his CHL career, ending up with the Wolves was the best thing that could happen to him.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Skating Tripods

Nice comeback win. A little surprised that Chynoweth went back to Aittokallio after Pickard's win on Saturday night. His goaltending rotation has, to say the least, perplexed me. I know Aitto missed a couple games following a puck to the face in warmups a couple weeks back, but it's been a little confusing. Hard for one of these guys to get into a rhythm right now. Of course, the AHL schedule makes that hard anyway.

To whoever mentioned three games in three days, they do it all the time. There are weekends where they'll play at home Friday and Sunday and have to go to Toronto, Grand Rapids, or Hamilton on Saturday. Sometimes, they'll play 7p Fri, 1p Sat, and then an afternoon road game on Sunday. Thanksgiving weekend, they play b2b at home Fri/Sat and then go to Hamilton on Sunday and play at 4 or 5p.

It's two-fold, really. To save on travel costs as much as possible and to utilize weekend home dates. Of course, I know this three-in-three is Thurs, Fri, Sat. It's part of the reason why they truncated the schedule to 76 games. Even with 76 games, I believe the Monsters last game is April 20 or something.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
Nice comeback win. A little surprised that Chynoweth went back to Aittokallio after Pickard's win on Saturday night. His goaltending rotation has, to say the least, perplexed me. I know Aitto missed a couple games following a puck to the face in warmups a couple weeks back, but it's been a little confusing. Hard for one of these guys to get into a rhythm right now. Of course, the AHL schedule makes that hard anyway.
I acutally liked it although I don't think Aittokallio had a great game last night. I think it was a message to Aittokallio that the coach is believing in him. Such things are possible because Pickard can handle two games in two nights. I guess, it's important to remember that the LEM don't only need to win games. They also need to develop the Avs' prospects. Peoria is not a good a team at the moment, so why not give Aittokallio the start against them? Both goalies are pretty good (Pickard seems to be better currently) and both need to play. Pickard will probably play today and tomorrow.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Bryan Zerg. Unstoppable.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

stream????

Old
11-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
stream????
Haven't looked for one. Those streaming sites try to run too much crap for my liking. I'll have to set up so I can run browsers in a sandbox on my computer.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

Outplayed... like a fox.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I'm assuming Pickard was in beast mode and stole one tonight?

Old
11-02-2012, 11:38 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I'm assuming Pickard was in beast mode and stole one tonight?
Kind of appears that way, but I didn't get to see the game.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
I acutally liked it although I don't think Aittokallio had a great game last night. I think it was a message to Aittokallio that the coach is believing in him. Such things are possible because Pickard can handle two games in two nights. I guess, it's important to remember that the LEM don't only need to win games. They also need to develop the Avs' prospects. Peoria is not a good a team at the moment, so why not give Aittokallio the start against them? Both goalies are pretty good (Pickard seems to be better currently) and both need to play. Pickard will probably play today and tomorrow.
You're right. I completely understand that the job description clearly states that you do what is in the best interest of the parent club. Using both goaltenders is definitely in the best interest of the parent club. I also don't see a problem in letting them play in stretches. Going back and forth on a regular basis creates more potential for injury and makes it very difficult for the goaltenders to get in rhythm.

It's hard with these three-in-three scenarios or back-to-backs, which they have played a lot of so far.

What matters at the end of the day is that they have two reliable goaltenders and the team should feel comfortable playing in front of either one of them.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:11 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

So did anybody watch the game today? How did we play?

Old
11-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Hey guys is the game tonight at 6:05pm Denver time?

And why does it say on Lake Erie's website that the Moneter's last two games were 0-0 ties?

Old
11-03-2012, 07:16 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
Hey guys is the game tonight at 6:05pm Denver time?

And why does it say on Lake Erie's website that the Moneter's last two games were 0-0 ties?
Yep 6:05 mdt , about the ties hmm maybe they default to that before the webmaster updates the scores, you'd think that would've been done already though

Last edited by S3rkie: 11-03-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
Yep 6:05 mdt , about the ties hmm maybe they default to that before the webmaster updates the scores, you'd think that would've been done already thought
Thank you!

Old
11-03-2012, 08:09 PM
klozge
Avs

Stream for the game: http://atdhenet.tv/52561/watch-lake-...ckford-icehogs

Old
11-03-2012, 08:15 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

http://atdhenet.tv/52561/watch-lake-...ckford-icehogs

Edit: Oops, I didn't see the post above mine.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:21 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Ice Hogs are being a bunch of little *****es.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:25 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 1100
Alright, been gone a while. Trying to follow the Monsters, why is Elliot piling up donuts so far?

Old
11-03-2012, 08:28 PM
S3rkie

didnt see the goal just jumped in, why was it reviewed was it the right call?

Old
11-03-2012, 08:30 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
didnt see the goal just jumped in, why was it reviewed was it the right call?
It's hard to tell with the bad quality but it looked like one of the Rockford players backed up into Pickard, pushing himself and Pickard into the net which left another Rockford player an empty net to shoot it in.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:32 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Agozzino!

The Avs should sign this guy.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:33 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
why is Elliot piling up donuts so far?
Because he's a bust!

He looked pretty good the last game I watched he still has a good offensive mind and puck skills, not crazy about his d partner think that could have a bit to do with it.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:34 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Agozzino!

The Avs should sign this guy.
totally agree he always seems to be where the puck is and has an eye for the net

Closed Thread