HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Wow, Tillman has been relieved of his duties.

Interesting time to do it.
I just heard the news.

excellent news. the turnstile method of his bit him in the behind.
that and his stupid trades.

I can understand the timing. gives the players even more incentive to play hard and play well. I think the players will also have a weight off their shoulders. the 500 pound trade you on a whim GM is gone. next week they can just go out and play ball.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:25 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Kavis looked brilliant last year.

Not so much this year.

I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself without the ****show in the background.

Say what you want, he bleeds G&G and is a contributor to the community. I think he can turn it around.
I am very satisfied with the Tillman firing but Kavis needs to be better. Tough to blame his suspect game management this season on Tillman.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Copperhead

vCash: 500
I can't argue that Tillman didn't do well here, but from the TSN article it states 4 grey cup games and 3 wins in 12 years as GM with various teams. Pretty good overall record. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a new job soon

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=408782

Although I don't know the circumstances of those grey cups, it can't be a fluke or luck when it's that much success.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:26 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I am very satisfied with the Tillman firing but Kavis needs to be better. Tough to blame his suspect game management this season on Tillman.
He's made a ton of mistakes. Zero argument.

That said, there's a lot of positives to him too. If he can learn from those mistakes he could be a very good HC.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:29 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I can't argue that Tillman didn't do well here, but from the TSN article it states 4 grey cup games and 3 wins in 12 years as GM with various teams. Pretty good overall record. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a new job soon

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=408782

Although I don't know the circumstances of those grey cups, it can't be a fluke or luck when it's that much success.
He's never had long term success anywhere, and was canned within 2 years of winning every GC he's ever won. He has shown a knack to bring in the right pieces to a good foundation that somebody else built... but not much else. He's tried twice to build something (Edmonton, Ottawa) and failed miserably both times. He's burned bridges in Sask, Edmonton, BC, Toronto and Ottawa. That's over half the league.

It's impossible to have long-term success when you view the roster like ET does.

His average tenure is under 3 years for a reason.

I think we've seen the last of him.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:29 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:

That said, there's a lot of positives to him too. If he can learn from those mistakes he could be a very good HC.
Tough to argue that.

Assuming the new GM wants to keep him around I have no problem seeing Kavis as the HC next season assuming he does in fact 'learn' from the multitude of mistakes he has made this past season.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:30 PM
#ualberta

Quote:

Yeah i agree the guy is super passionate too, he needs to stop making bad decisions though starting with next weeks game he needs to start nichols not joseph

If he start the wrong qb next week and we lose it might be him getting fired next

Old
11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Tough to argue that.

Assuming the new GM wants to keep him around I have no problem seeing Kavis as the HC next season assuming he does in fact 'learn' from the multitude of mistakes he has made this past season.
Exactly. I won't be devastated by any stretch if he's let go, but I think there is a lot of potential there that you could end up being very happy you kept him.

My hopes is that the next GM can rebuild the OL, bring in some QB's to compete with Nichols, and keep the core of the D together.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:55 PM
eskies4life

The only QBs I would keep near the roster are Nichols and Masoli... I wish Masoli would of been given a chance last game to at least get a little action in. I like Masoli and think he can compete next year. I would like to see McPherson brought in I think he can be a starter in this league..Maybe try and acquire Glenn from the Stamps or something around those lines. I still like Nichols and am willing to have him start next season as are starter to see what he can do. I don't know if he's the long term answer however.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Wheatking

I'm very happy my boycott can now come to an end. I was more than willing to take as much time as needed waiting out Tillman.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:10 PM
AJGass4

Makes you wonder if this has been in the making for a bit. He made some extremely dumb moves but how awful that the new guy has to start putting pieces back in a puzzle that Tillman ripped apart.

Not sad he is gone, he's pretty creepy. I hadn't realized that he didn't even move to Edmonton and spent most of his time in Saskatchewan.

Maybe this will pump everyone in the dressing room up.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:14 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Rebuild the Oline and the rest of the offense will look so much better.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:18 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Wow! Unexpected but great news. I am starting to side with PDO that Hervey deserves a shot.

As for Reed, I still want him gone. But if the next GM disagrees and wants to keep him around then, I suppose another season isn't the worst thing in the world.

It's just a shame they let Tillman do so much damage to this team before he left. Ray + 1st for Jyles + 1st + 2 kickers. Unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Rebuild the Oline and the rest of the offense will look so much better.
That's a big issue for sure. But having a guy that can complete a pass is a bigger concern.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Chooch

If reed gets promoted to GM, i'm resigning as a fan until Rhodes gets fired.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:50 PM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
If reed gets promoted to GM, i'm resigning as a fan until Rhodes gets fired.
I suspect Hervey is GM, Wad is involved in some shape and Kavis remains HC.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Well that's shocking haha.

I think he was an upgrade over Danny M(lets be ****ing honest, Oprah has a better footballing mind than that moron).

I don't he was all bad as some others think. Our Canadian talent is pretty good and much much more improved than what it was under the idiot before him.

I think the Ray and McKnight trades did him in. And rightfully so. I still can't seem to wrap my hear around the McKnight trade. It doesn't make a lick of sense. We paid out of our behind for a K who we didn't use.

From here I only want two things.

1.) Hire someone without the extra baggage that Tillman had. I know people will never admit to it, but alot of people disliked Tillman right off the bat due to his run in with the law. It caused a lot of tension away from the field and you can't have that. Hire someone who knows football inside and out, and someone who as a person everyone can agree on to be this franchises' GM.

2.) This is a bigger point for me, but stability. If by chance our new GM doesn't like Kavis and his staff, we have another coaching change. For the offense it might not be a big issue, but for the D it would represent their 3rd DC in as many seasons. Stability is huge for any football club. Who ever we hire, and weather they want a new coaching staff, lets hope that we have these people in place for the foreseeable future.

One has to look at the Oakland Raiders to see how constant changing in coaching (8 coaches in 10 seasons) can **** up players, especially young players and their development.

Whatever Tillman did to piss off the board must have been big(and I'm curious as to what he did so I'll be scouring the papers in the future), but lets get stability back in this club.

The good thing from this is we get the excitement of looking through potential candidates. Anyone got a favorite as to who they want to see here and can give reasons why?

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 11-03-2012 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Whoops
Old
11-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Six in O6

Rhodes didn't drop many hints in the press conference according to the Edmonton Journal online but did point out that Tillman doesn't even reside in Edmonton part time, let alone full time... That's gotta be frustrating for a professional, community owned franchise.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:40 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Im going to speculate and say that Rhodes/the board asked if Tillman was going to make a coaching change after the season and he said no. So he was canned.

Also, Money guy is pretty quiet today.

Could he be Tillman?

Old
11-03-2012, 08:46 PM
eskies4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Im going to speculate and say that Rhodes/the board asked if Tillman was going to make a coaching change after the season and he said no. So he was canned.

Could he be Tillman?

What a twist that would be.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 300
a comment about the fans, or lack thereof. I've been an eskimo season ticket holder for quite some time.
There have been quite a few games these past few years where I haven't wanted to go because the crap the esks put on the field.
Look how many sub par years the eskimos have had in the past ten. It's pretty easy to destroy your old fan base, and hard to build up a new fan base with a lousy product.
the missing fans are a result of years of bad management and bad teams.
If I knew I was going to get a well played football game, I'd be a lot more excited to go buy a ticket, regardless of weather conditions.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:19 PM
PDO

Quote:

Could he be Tillman?
He's not, he is just a guy who liked feeling like an insider.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Kyle McMahon

I'm not really surprised by the poor attendance last night. I was at a late-season game against the Argos about 3 years ago in similar crappy weather conditions, and I doubt there was more than 4000 people at the stadium. A somewhat meaningless game, poor record in the standings, and sub-zero temperatures after a full week of terrible winter-like conditions. I would have been shocked with more than 25 000. The 21 000 that was announced was probably truthful, lots of people stayed underneath, the QB club was jammed full that's for sure.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

OK, I'm going to call out Rhodes here.

He admits in his press release that he had been thinking about canning Tillman for a long time and that he deliberated about it. As others have mentioned here there was nothing stopping him from stepping in and overruling Tillmans latest weird transactions like giving away our #1 pick and letting Boyd walk. If he had serious doubts about management then he should've engaged in due dilligence and required major moves to be run by him.

If Rhodes had these feelings about Tillman for quite awhile then what did it matter(for Tillmans credibility) if he stepped in on behalf of the org to veto a deal? He could've even done this with the RR trade, or requested more in exchange.

Its incomprehensible, and incompetent really, that Rhodes would sit idly by while Tillman was engaged in transactions that the org couldn't have been in support of.

I'm just a fan, people here know my impressions of RR but I'm not in any professional capacity posting here. Rhodes has a mandate to the team, fans and org and has CLEARLY failed that. His decision today just magnifies that he should be next on the block. Basically admitting he was not in agreement with Tillmans direction, did not want him going forward but allowed him to take actions that compromise the org.

pathetic

Old
11-03-2012, 09:46 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:

Could he be Tillman?
Ha, nice one. There are folks here who know who I am and my connections, which go much deeper than Tillman.

This decision was made a couple of weeks ago. It was timed this way for a reason. If the team had had some success in the playoffs and won a couple of series, they couldn't have pulled the trigger. Yes, the board does think this team can do some damage in the playoffs. This decision was made mainly because the hiring fractured the fan base.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Ha, nice one. There are folks here who know who I am and my connections, which go much deeper than Tillman.

This decision was made a couple of weeks ago. It was timed this way for a reason. If the team had had some success in the playoffs and won a couple of series, they couldn't have pulled the trigger. Yes, the board does think this team can do some damage in the playoffs. This decision was made mainly because the hiring fractured the fan base.
Really if this is the reason that Tillman was fired today then everybody in management should be looking for a new job. This was an extremely contentious hire and everybody knew that going in. To realize that a mere 2 yrs after is puzzling at best. This was a huge PR gamble hiring Tillman and now with the team deciding in midcourse to change direction it has all the look of a gongshow. Nobody knowing what they are doing.

I'll borrow a page out of PDO's book as well, the Esks went AGAINST the grain hiring Tillman. The popular move afairc was hiring from within and somebody like Sean Fleming or Ed Hervey.

If you make a controversial out of the ballpark hire you damned well better know what you're doing and be right on it. Looks like they got it wrong. Not one iota of the org taking responsibility for the Tillman hire either.

Closed Thread