HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worcester Sharks / San Francisco Bulls news thread II

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 08:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Refs screw Worcester out of a win.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:56 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Refs screw Worcester out of a win.
Well, the only reason they were even in the game in the first place was Sateri...stood on his head most of the game. The ref was out of position and blew the whistle before Gourde put it in. Had this been a two referee game the goal would most definitely had counted.

Of course, they would have won the game had they not given up two goals in the last 12 seconds of periods...

On a positive note, another HUGE game from Petrecki.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:46 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Who stood out on the Caps side, if you don't mind me asking

Old
11-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post

Who stood out on the Caps side, if you don't mind me asking
Bearing in mind I'm not really keeping tabs on the IceCaps...

Even ignoring the fact the scored the game winner I thought Potsma looked pretty good.

Klingberg has the look of a goal scorer when he has the puck, right up until he shot it. His release is kind of slow. I'm betting he gets a lot of shots blocked.

Macenauer needs to shoot more. He gave up a couple chances with passes...the reason I noticed that was it's something Worcester does way too often.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:56 AM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Damn. I just caught up with your twitter feed, 210. Kind of a stinker to lose that way.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
11-04-2012, 01:12 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Damn. I just caught up with your twitter feed, 210. Kind of a stinker to lose that way.
Congrats on the purple slocal. When did that happen?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:15 AM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Congrats on the purple slocal. When did that happen?
Thanks, bud

About 2 hours ago. I hopped online to catch up with 210's twitter feed (hate viewing it on the phone) and looking for articles one the WOR game.

On a side note, would anyone consider Mash and Frazer's last tilts to be good? I'm not sure how to call either of them.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:50 AM

11/3/12 St John's 3, @WorSharks 2 (OT)

From telegram.com:
Seconds count as Worcester Sharks fall again
Worcester Sharks' Taylor Doherty nets first goal

From tsn.ca:
Postma stars in IceCaps overtime win against Sharks

From Sharkspage.com:
WorSharks lose 3-2 in overtime to IceCaps

From sharksahl.com:
Sharks lose heartbreaker to IceCaps in overtime

From stjohnsicecaps.com:
IceCaps edge Sharks on overtime

From theahl.com:
Game Summary
Game Report

Old
11-04-2012, 08:39 AM

After watching the video of Gourde's disallowed goal I'm even more frustrated by it. It's a total lack of effort by referee Burchell on the play to get into the IceCaps zone. He can clearly be seen gliding down the left wing side on the video, and from the ice level replay from the Zamboni entrance just behind the goal line looking toward the goal it's a full count of three after the puck crosses the goal line until Burchell is even visible on the tape.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:08 PM
PondShark

is anyone watching the game today? cant fine a stream online... what other free options are there other than athd?

the lack of hockey really sucks right now. damn the lockout

Old
11-04-2012, 04:01 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I didn't say they were having problems with teamwork, I said they were having problems with fundamentals. Things like "don't pass the puck to a guy that has two opponents covering him" or "gain the red line before dumping it in for a line change"...you know, all the stuff that they teach you well before you make it to this level.
Ok I think you are contradicting yourself now. If its like you say and the players are having trouble with fundamentals, which in your opinion should be stuff they already know at this level, how is this Sommer's fault? Are the players liable or not?

Old
11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
No stream. Just radio.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Today's 1-0 shootout win was one of the bes hockey games I have ever seen.

Bad news: Nick Petrecki, who finally looks to have gotten it all going in the right direction and in a BIG way, got hurt. I know what it was, but for now I'll say it's "upper body".

EDIT: It's not a concussion, so no worries in that area.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Ok I think you are contradicting yourself now. If its like you say and the players are having trouble with fundamentals, which in your opinion should be stuff they already know at this level, how is this Sommer's fault? Are the players liable or not?
I think both Sommer and the players are liable.

I've seen some of their practices and, while I'm certainly not a hockey coach, I question some of the things they go over. And then on top of that there are some plays that should be routine (like some I mentioned) that the players were getting wrong earlier this season.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

So I noticed Tarasov in the lineup today - first AHL game I believe, how did he look?

How has Gourde been so far?

Old
11-04-2012, 11:23 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Friday fights (Worcester)

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/112782
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/112783
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/112784

Old
11-05-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
So I noticed Tarasov in the lineup today - first AHL game I believe, how did he look?

How has Gourde been so far?
Tarasov looked decent...obviously needs more ice time but I like what I saw yesterday.

Gourde needs to shoot more...he's passing way too much.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Speed

Sorry I haven't been able to post much, but 210 usually says what I would anyway

If anyone remembers my posts from last year, I was extremely critical of GM Wayne Thomas and DW in the way they handle, put together, and maintain roster's roster. Well they've shut me up (so far) this year. For the start of the season, they put together a a highly competitive team. And if there was no lockout - a top tier team, as we would only lose 1 or 2 players to SJ, while most other AHL teams would lose 4-5 players. Even when we were losing and nothing was going right - I still believed that we'd turn it around.
As Bill Ballou said in his column today - "Each of the weekend's games was great entertainment — physical, fast, fights, scoring chances, overtime, sensational goaltending." That is our team makeup. They are starting to gel. I'm not surprised its taking a little bit, as we have a fairly large turnover of players from last year. And the players that were brought in can play. What we have are players from last year that played with other guys that weren't that great and lost more than they've won, and new players that are more top tier. They're still learning to play together. Just needed to settle down a bit. While the goaltending early on didn't look so hot - it was clearly due to them trying to do way too much, and trying to bail out the team on their own.
Some observations so far in this short period:
McCarthy - he's been OK - nothing flashy, nothing outstanding. Needs to heat up.
Stalberg - Seabass is 3rd on the team in scoring. Leads the team in shots. He looks very comfortable out there - I think playing a little in the AHL the end of last year helped with his confidence. He's one of those players that looks like he's everywhere on the ice.
McLaren - he's actually one of our better penalty killers. Other than that I really don't' want to see him on the ice. He doesn't bring anything.
Matsumoto - he's been a little snake-bitten in the points department. You can see the talent's there. He's got some great moves. Just needs to find his comfort zone with his mates.
Hamilton - I think he's still trying to find his place/role on this team (and in the pros) - which is fine as it's still early.
Gogol - I think he drives us fans as crazy as the opponents. He's been a pest to other teams, and has thrown some big hits and tries to get a fire lit under the team when needed. He's been a healthy scratch a few times. He needs to even out his game. Can be invisible or out of place at times. That said, he does look improved from last year.
Sheppard - Started out looking great - hustle, backchecking, hard in the corners, he slowed down a little bit and was looking a bit lazy. At the start of Sunday's game it looked like more of that, and I mentioned to 210 that he might become my "whipping boy" if he doesn't pick it up. Soon after, he was hitting everything in sight. Tons of hustle and leaving nothing by the end of his shift. If he keeps it up, he could be with SJ this year at some point.
Kearns - 2nd on the team in scoring. He's looking more comfortable each game, and he looked good to begin with. A great addition - he fits right in and seems to be a player that leads by example.
Gourde - I loved this guy coming in this season. So far I think he's been a little bit of a disappointment. He's been far too generous - needs to shoot more and pass less. He also needs to use his speed more. If he's 1-1 with a D-man - he seems to slow down and look to pass instead of trying to blow by them. Maybe its a confidence thing at this level. You can tell he's got the tools.
Tarasov - incomplete - only played one game but looked OK.
Oleksuk - you can tell that "there's something there". He just seems a hair off as far as scoring goes. He brings great energy and another player that seems to be all over the ice. I expect to get in sync and be a big help to this team down the line.
Kennedy - definately benefited from the change of scenery coming to Worcester at the end of last year. Our leading scorer. 4 goals on 15 shots. Quick, and a little chippy. Fun to watch him play.
Viendensky - incomplete. Only played 2 games due to injury.
Livingston - its not that he stinks, but he's more suited for ECHL.
Bonneau - After sitting due to his suspension, he's been a healthy scratch except for 2 games. I guess the coaching staff has him as the designated fighter, and if we are playing a team where fighting isn't expected - he's gonna sit. It's too bad - I'd rather see him than McLaren.
Reid - incomplete - been injured
Mashinter - I think the org is sending him a message. Either he plays to his potential or he doesn't play at all. He's been a healthy scratch a couple of times. Only 1 point in 7 games. During his rookie year we were thinking he was the AHL version of Cam Neely. If he doesn't pick it up, he'll be closer to Cam MacIntyre.
Groulx - Defensively - he's starting out slow. This shouldn't be a surprise, as he did this during his 1st year with Worcester (he was dreadfully bad then), and also playing in the KHL last year. So he's adjusting back to AHL. He's always an offensive threat, and he's a great weapon on the PP. He's a leader on this team, and you can see him giving direction to the other D-men often.
Doherty - HE SCORED A GOAL! HE SCORED A GOAL! Ok, he's not an offensive guy. But so far, he defense have been solid. Not NHL-solid, but an improvement over what we saw last year. He's going in the right direction.
Tennyson - another guy who benefited to a short stint the end of last year in Worcester. He looks very confident out there. Fluid skater and passer. More buzz words - steady, solid, and comfortable.
Acolatse - I would think if SJwas playing right now and needed a defenseman, Acolatse might get the nod for the call up. He's cut down on mistakes, and has learned when to take calculated chances. He's got a laser shot, quickness, and is getting a reputation of someone you don't want to tangle with.
Irwin - I think he's settled and may have reached his peak/potential. Nothing wrong with that - he is what he is. Very good on the PP, but has some defensive lapses every now and then. Probably a career AHLer - but a very good one.
Pelech - trying to get it together through suspensions. He's doing OK, but not like he was the 2nd half of last year. I think he just needs more playing time to get into a rhythm.
Petrecki - he started to find his groove. Looks very solid. A physical presence - clearing out bodies and throwing some hard checks. Been very heads up with the puck. Cut down on mistakes. He seemed to get hurt yesterday - at the wrong time again. Hopefully it won't be too much of a setback.
Stalock - he'll be in the NHL next year. He's back. He's that good. Any talk of poor play was due to trying to do too much on a previously slumping team. He's the man.
Sateri - could have had his confidence shaken with the team playing poorly and then trying to do too much on his own. He has since settled own and has let the game come to him. While I think there will be a goaltender rotation for at least the 1st half of the year, barring injury Stalock should be the guy. But Sateri is waiting in the wings, and will get his chance to lead this team - but it will probably be next year.

Again this team is fun to watch. Winning helps as well. If the NHL lockout ends, I'd expect us to win the division - possibly the conference, and get at the very least to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:30 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Thanks for the update Shape. For Sheppard, how much do you think the perceived lack of effort is due to laziness, or poor conditioning since he hasn't played competitively in a long time?

Old
11-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Thanks for the update Shape. For Sheppard, how much do you think the perceived lack of effort is due to laziness, or poor conditioning since he hasn't played competitively in a long time?
He looked a little lazy/disinterested at times. It probably stuck out more with him than others since he's had the NHL time, played extremely well to start. Right now his season is bookended with playing great at the start, and now, with a couple in between not enough effort. I'm hoping it isn't anything to worry about going forward, and I am not to worried about it.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

(Former) Oiler Theo Peckham has signed with ECHL SF.

Friday could be quite an interesting game.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Thanks speed for the updates. Do you think the lack of shooting on Gourds part is coaching or a decision he's making to peel off inside the blue line and set up..

Old
11-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks speed for the updates. Do you think the lack of shooting on Gourds part is coaching or a decision he's making to peel off inside the blue line and set up..
I think it's him...

Old
11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Speed

Quote:
I think it's his decision. I think he needs to build a little more confidence playing at this level. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff told him to shoot more and to use his wheels more. The talent is there - just needs to work it out. He's got a good group of guys to help him with that. When i spoke with him at the end of last year, he said McCarthy was a huge help to him. We do have some great character guys and leaders this year. So I do expect the youngins to improve

Old
11-05-2012, 05:51 PM

11/4/12 @WorSharks 1, Manchester 0 (SO)

From telegram.com:
Stalock shines in Worcester Sharks' win
Worcester Sharks enjoy first scoreless game, OT

From Sharkspage.com:
Stalock, WorSharks earn hard fought 1-0 victory over Manchester

From sharksahl.com:
Stalock saves the day in 1-0 shootout victory over Monarchs

From manchestermonarchs.com: