HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

WSOF on NBC 11/3..

Old
11-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

vCash: 500
Rumble just committed homicide.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:49 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
I like that the WSOF got itself on a half decent channel (better than Fuel and FX for sure) but WSOF 2 needs less squash matches. Way too many cans fighting former UFC fighters on one card for my liking.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I like that the WSOF got itself on a half decent channel (better than Fuel and FX for sure) but WSOF 2 needs less squash matches. Way too many cans fighting former UFC fighters on one card for my liking.
I imagine it would be better.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Rumble bringin the jokes.

Old
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I imagine it would be better.
Hopefully. The fighters listed on their site doesn't make me optimistic.

Rumble just called himself a 170er.

Old
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
"I just showed him what a 170 pounder can do." - Anthony "Never Ever 170 lbs" Johnson

Quote:
Hopefully NBC picks up the option for the next event. Im guessing they have a pretty limited budget, especially given their TV deal uncertainty. They may fill out their roster if things get a little more established, but in the meantime I'm guessing they'll keep the few recognizeable fighters they have fighting fights they can win, so they can keep marketing them in future fights. Also to limit the cost of each fight.

Strikeforce did this quite often too. Definitely mismatches here and there, but some excellent and unforgettable fights too. It's pretty clear it's not easy entering this industry though. Casual fans don't pay attention to anything that doesn't have the UFC brand behind it, even iin instances where the events are better. Baby steps.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:55 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
"I just showed him what a 170 pounder can do." - Anthony "Never Ever 170 lbs" Johnson

Hopefully NBC picks up the option for the next event.
Not sure how their deal works. Ariel Helwani reported that WSOF paid for the air time so who knows.

Quote:
Rumble bringin the jokes.
Best being he legitly still thinks he can fight at 170.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:57 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Andrei Arlovski wearing a Ruslan Salei shirt?? Awesome.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Ruslan Salei..respect.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Hes still one of my favorite fighters..only if he'd protect himself better.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:00 PM
m9

Quote:
Anthony "Can Crusher" Johnson.
DJ Linderman is pretty solid, far from a can IMO.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Pitbull!

Old
11-03-2012, 11:14 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Andrei Arlovski wearing a Ruslan Salei shirt?? Awesome.
Quote:
Ruslan Salei..respect.
#belarus

Old
11-03-2012, 11:17 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
#belarus
Yeah. I wonder if he'll mention him during the post fight interview.

E: Yep he did. he said they were friends too. Interesting. Sad **** even a year later.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Andrei was good buddies with Salei apparently. All in all not a bad production.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:25 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
I agree. The production was pretty good. I don't really like the purple **** in the cage on the floor but that's really not a big deal. Besides that and not showing Nam on camera or even explaining who he his and why he gets to fight the winner, I'd say it was a good production. Just want better matchups. And with the way Strikeforce is going and the fact that WSOF is on NBCSN, I can see a lot of people seeing it as a good option for themselves if they're not UFC bound.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:27 PM
MBauer

Quote:
I liked it but i don't think they will pull that great of number, unfortunately anything that isn't UFC gets ignored by most casual fans.

Also glad to see Arlovski win and look happy, and real cool to pay tribute to Salei.

Can't wait to see Spong fight again, give him a low level grappler in my opinion to see if he can put any of his grappling to use.

Quote:
Hopefully. The fighters listed on their site doesn't make me optimistic.

Rumble just called himself a 170er.
No kidding he nearly killed himself every time he tried to make 170, fact is he walks at like 230 and is bigger then most light heavyweights

Last edited by MBauer: 11-03-2012 at 11:45 PM.
MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
I agree. The production was pretty good. I don't really like the purple **** in the cage on the floor but that's really not a big deal. Besides that and not showing Nam on camera or even explaining who he his and why he gets to fight the winner, I'd say it was a good production. Just want better matchups. And with the way Strikeforce is going and the fact that WSOF is on NBCSN, I can see a lot of people seeing it as a good option for themselves if they're not UFC bound.
I think it will get better with time...3 out of the 4 main card fights were KO/TKO's and Torres/Moraes was a good fight. Its always good for fighters to have options if they are too green or not UFC material.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:45 AM
BGDDYKWL

Call me crazy but I found this more entertaining than a lot of recent UFC cards. Arlovski and Rumble (and now Spong) have always been interesting to me. I'd much rather see Arlovski back in the UFC than guys like Herman, Broughton, Morecraft, etc. Would also love to see Rumble back. Sure seems like something strange always happens in his fights though. Also seems like he gets poked a lot. I'd like to see Spong up against a guy with limited wrestling/BJJ who is considered a very good striker. That would be interesting.

Out of curiosity, who wins a fight at 205 between Spong and Anderson? Does Anderson stand with him?

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:37 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Call me crazy but I found this more entertaining than a lot of recent UFC cards. Arlovski and Rumble (and now Spong) have always been interesting to me. I'd much rather see Arlovski back in the UFC than guys like Herman, Broughton, Morecraft, etc. Would also love to see Rumble back. Sure seems like something strange always happens in his fights though. Also seems like he gets poked a lot. I'd like to see Spong up against a guy with limited wrestling/BJJ who is considered a very good striker. That would be interesting.
I wouldn't go quite that far... but certainly as far as free TV events go, it held its own with the offerings from UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator. I'd say it's a step above MFC events too. And yes, it's a shame Arlovski isn't in the UFC (though his 4 straight losses and 2 straight to Tim Sylvia definitely hurt his stock). Same with Barnett. I'd love to see those two fight each other, actually.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, who wins a fight at 205 between Spong and Anderson? Does Anderson stand with him?
IMO Spong would get subbed in spectacular fashion almost immediately. Seeing Silva fight K1 would be something special though.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
I wouldn't go quite that far... but certainly as far as free TV events go, it held its own with the offerings from UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator. I'd say it's a step above MFC events too. And yes, it's a shame Arlovski isn't in the UFC (though his 4 straight losses and 2 straight to Tim Sylvia definitely hurt his stock). Same with Barnett. I'd love to see those two fight each other, actually.

IMO Spong would get subbed in spectacular fashion almost immediately. Seeing Silva fight K1 would be something special though.
AA is 3-1 in his last 4 and kicked Sylvia's ass but was dq'd due to OneFC's stupid soccer kick rule.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:10 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:

I only ever remember Silva initiating a takedown once. And he has been KO'ing suckers for what, six, seven, eight years now? Silva would beat Spong's ass, in whatever fashion he wanted to, including a straight up stand up war if he chose, which I believe he would.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:14 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
I wouldn't go quite that far... but certainly as far as free TV events go, it held its own with the offerings from UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator. I'd say it's a step above MFC events too.
I dont think so. MFC fights are usually competitive. These were straight up squash matches. There were really two legitimate fights on the main card, and even one of them turned into a squash match in the end. To me, the major attraction in watching mma, is the unpredictability of the outcome. Take that away and there is little reason to watch imo. Unless you just want to watch someone get the **** beaten out of them.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I only ever remember Silva initiating a takedown once. And he has been KO'ing suckers for what, six, seven, eight years now? Silva would beat Spong's ass, in whatever fashion he wanted to, including a straight up stand up war if he chose, which I believe he would.
Anderson Silva is not on Spong's level in striking, not a single person Anderson has koed is even close to Spong or the competition he has fought.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:46 PM
DeathFromAbove

Entertaining show. Happy to see Arlovski get a nice win.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote