HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Lockout Thread: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Old
11-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Or even a guarantee of stagnation in salaries at their current share until the league revenues hit the point where it's 50%. In other words, they're trying to sell the fans a bunch of ******** by including "50%" in their projections which are wholly unrealistic at best.

Thing is the fans have quickly turned on the PA/Fehr in this one because we're not the complete idiots they take us for.
There is so much BS and spin from each side it's almost worse than the elections. They are all complicit in this nonsense and to be on one side or the other at this point doesn't make any sense. What I don't understand is why the league or PA doesn't just take all the free agency changes (except the provision that prevents front loaded deals) out of the deal and go with the leagues revenue plan. The players can't keep getting paid what they are getting paid and the owners have to give SOMETHING. That's how negotiations work. So far it's just been the owners taking everything they can, which if the league had any idea who Donald Fehr was, they would have known that wasn't going to fly.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:22 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
So far it's just been the owners taking everything they can, which if the league had any idea who Donald Fehr was, they would have known that wasn't going to fly.
At this point I wonder if the league is banking on Fehr leading the players off a cliff, and getting himself canned sometime in the spring.

There is just absolutely no way the likes of Jacobs and Snider are going to bend for Fehr. Bettman knew that the minute Fehr was hired.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

I'm at the point where I don't care about this anymore. If the NHL/NHLPA want to kill their own league, that's their problem.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The owners are preparing a new offer in which they will be paying to honor current contracts. This was the PA's major sticking point in the previous proposal.

Given that they just cancelled the only major leverage point left in the regular season, short of totally scrapping the season and playoffs, this is pretty much the whole ball game. If the PA tries to squirm out of negotiating by putting on its sad face and making another ridiculous counter offer, we may be in for a very long wait to see NHL hockey.

Time for Fehr and his committee to show their hand. Do they really want to take this thing to next summer or not?

Old
11-02-2012, 07:43 PM
snakepliskin

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZz zzzzzzzzzzz---i will say that the players are idiots as well as the owners but it looks like a lot of players, say a 8yr career player is looking at a loss of 25% or more loss of their career income due to labor problems. Maybe the owners should just scrap the "league" and start over from square 1 creating a true free market system? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:12 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Time for Fehr and his committee to show their hand. Do they really want to take this thing to next summer or not?
Apparently Fehr and team want to take this thing to next summer. Supposedly the owners told the PA they would honor all current contracts on Monday and the PA 'needed' to think.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 08:26 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Apparently Fehr and team want to take this thing to next summer. Supposedly the owners told the PA they would honor all current contracts on Monday and the PA 'needed' to think.
I'd be interested to know what the rank and file players privately think of Fehr at this point.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:46 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Good job you idiots. You have managed to piss off your loyal customers even more.

But knowing you, you haven't even gotten started.

Idiots.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
So apparently they're meeting this afternoon. Apparently they found enough common ground in phone discussions between Daily and Steve Fehr to justify a face to face meeting.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
So apparently they're meeting this afternoon. Apparently they found enough common ground in phone discussions between Daily and Steve Fehr to justify a face to face meeting.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Interesting. It must have been the part about honoring all current contracts that hit the spot for Fehr. Which kind of ticks me off because I'm not looking foward to some of our players' contracts throughout the years. Still, I see this being the only leverage for the NHLPA because I don't think the owners will offer much more.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:54 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

How about they just come to an agreement?

Oh wait, I forgot. That makes too much sense.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Interesting. It must have been the part about honoring all current contracts that hit the spot for Fehr. Which kind of ticks me off because I'm not looking foward to some of our players' contracts throughout the years. Still, I see this being the only leverage for the NHLPA because I don't think the owners will offer much more.
I have a gut feeling that the league and the PA agreed that there would be no rollback. Which personally I do agree with, as the contracts were all signed under a cap system with budgetary restraints in mind. Not some of the ridiculousness of the old CBA with 100 million dollar Ranger payrolls and Holik making 10 mil a year. It's never been about their salaries under the cap to me but about their split of the revenue and revenue sharing as a whole.

If the NHL agreed to honor current salaries while the PA agreed to keep the cap flat or with minimal growth until cap/revenue parity was in place, then that's what I care about. It's just common sense. We're getting hosed on the prices either way it goes, with fans covering the majority of the leagues income either way. I just want a more equitable system that ensures we don't have another ****ing lockout in 6 years (or however long the CBA term is). Oh, and Fehr's head on a pike if he this goes on yet another month.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

does anyone have a dying little kid handy? we should get him/her to make a wish that the lockout would end and itd get all on the news adn the lockout would have to end right, right?

.......................right?

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

ok so like we all go to red square and flip the switch on the back of lenins mausoleum, unleashing the dreaded cyborg commie-bot Lenin 5000 upon the world. after reestablishing the soviet union he goes on to conquer all of north america, and with all the other "symbols of capitalist oppression" he destroys all the major sports leagues and starts a non profit government sponsored hockey league in which lockouts are impossible.

bettman and fehr are sent to alaskan gulags for 5 (100) years hard labor for the people.

urrraaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old
11-04-2012, 12:30 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Good news. At 1:30am, the meeting that began yesterday afternoon is still going on.

That doesn't happen if progress isn't being made.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Good news. At 1:30am, the meeting that began yesterday afternoon is still going on.

That doesn't happen if progress isn't being made.
Or they ordered an XL Pizza AND mozza sticks. I'm also assuming one of them has NetFlix.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Paying players what they had signed for is the right thing to do, considering that teams didn't go overboard during this past FA like I thought they would. The best players in the world are still getting around 8mil per year, so they deserve to get at least that. I'm just a little upset about some of the NTCs JR handed out on recent contracts.

If the players get 50% revenue shared and keep their current contracts, I don't see clauses such as ELCs and time until UFA status transferring over from the last CBA.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

ITT: acronyms

Old
11-04-2012, 07:28 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

These guys have to know that another lost season would be the death of this league. Players would bolt for the KHL, and for a good number of fans it would have been the last straw.

Hopefully this will be resolved before next week and we won't have to go through this **** again for many years.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
ONO94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
These guys have to know that another lost season would be the death of this league. Players would bolt for the KHL, and for a good number of fans it would have been the last straw.

Hopefully this will be resolved before next week and we won't have to go through this **** again for many years.

Honestly, I don't think they give a crud about the KHL--maybe you lose a Jagr or a Radulov here or there, but the KHL just doesn't have the depth of money to get Canadian stars or even many non-Russian players to defect any time soon.

The real scare to both sides is that they scare away corporate money and TV partners from giving full value to the NHL. I mean, who would do a 10 year deal with the NHL or NHLPA right now given the reality that a work stoppage seems to be the only negotiating ploy either side knows. Without advertising or TV--you might as well send all the teams back to canada where they can play for CFL money and compete with competitive bull riding for TV time.

ONO94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONO94 View Post
The real scare to both sides is that they scare away corporate money and TV partners from giving full value to the NHL. I mean, who would do a 10 year deal with the NHL or NHLPA right now given the reality that a work stoppage seems to be the only negotiating ploy either side knows. Without advertising or TV--you might as well send all the teams back to canada where they can play for CFL money and compete with competitive bull riding for TV time.
I lol'd

Old
11-07-2012, 10:20 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Meeting again today... is progress actually being made here?

There was no meeting with Fehr by the media last time, and as I said on facebook the other night, any time Fehr is near a mic/conference call without an agreement in place is a bad day to be a fan.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
This meeting combined with what Misfit Semin said JR said is actually giving me cause for cautious optimism.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
This meeting combined with what Misfit Semin said JR said is actually giving me cause for cautious optimism.
Huh? What did Semin say? Did I miss something?

Identity404 is online now   Reply With Quote