Notices

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1709
Here is an off the wall prediction; the Jets will take a shot at drafting Max Domi if they've a chance.

When Tie played for the Jets - he and Zinger were basically joined at the hip, I'm talking best friend territory. Carlyle & Domi practically spent all of their free time in Zinger's trainers'/equipment room when they played for the Jets. I also recall in October when Barrie played against London and it was announced for all to hear that the Jets had eight scouts in the building watching Scheifele. That makes no sense; they didn't need eight guys to watch a guy they've already drafted... they were there to watch Domi! Plus, drafting Domi carries on the team trend of drafting guys with NHL familial lineage.

He is also second in scoring for draft eligible players in the OHL last I checked.

Just a wild guess.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:17 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
I'm going to be a little more conservative on our prospects development. So to assess our needs (yes BPA is the most important factor)... if we want to be a cup contending team in 2 years (2014-2015):

Jets
Kane ??? Wheeler
Ladd Little Burmistrov
Telegin Scheifele ???
Cormier Slater Machachek
Klingberg

Enstrom Byfuglien
??? Bogosian
Redmond Postma
O`Neill

IceCaps
Lowry O`Dell Kosmachuk
Gregoire Olsen ???
??? Sutter Brassard
??? ??? ???

Melchiori ???
Chiarot Yuen
Sol Serville
Stoykewych

??? can be filled by FA, trade, or keeping some of the current players under TNSE that are not listed (and a few maybe from this years draft depending on birthdate and skill).

Some assumptions have been made:
*lower progression, obviously anyone can jump up but I'd like to not count on such things
*Trouba spending 3-4 years college, thus maximizing development time and ready to jump in to non-sheltered minutes
*I considered minimal regression in 2 years for our top players

Last edited by garret9: 11-03-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 09:22 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Here is an off the wall prediction; the Jets will take a shot at drafting Max Domi if they've a chance.

When Tie played for the Jets - he and Zinger were basically joined at the hip, I'm talking best friend territory. Carlyle & Domi practically spent all of their free time in Zinger's trainers'/equipment room when they played for the Jets. I also recall in October when Barrie played against London and it was announced for all to hear that the Jets had eight scouts in the building watching Scheifele. That makes no sense; they didn't need eight guys to watch a guy they've already drafted... they were there to watch Domi! Plus, drafting Domi carries on the team trend of drafting guys with NHL familial lineage.

He is also second in scoring for draft eligible players in the OHL last I checked.

Just a wild guess.
I can see even without the Tie history, Max is very much a TNSE type player and likely.... He has character, scoring, grit and blood lines... very TNSE.

But about the Jets scouts thing, they've had a caravan of TNSE crew visit each one of the current prospects games. They saw Lowry/Sutter play each other when Lowry scored 4 pts, Kosmachuk when he broke his scoring drought with a 3pt night, and Trouba's first game.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:14 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Max really impressed me in last years Memorial cup tournament. He is a pretty dynamic player and can definitely make things happen. Hopefully he can manage his diabetes over the years, I know last year at the memorial cup he was having a few issues with it as i recall.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'm going to be a little more conservative on our prospects development. So to assess our needs (yes BPA is the most important factor)... if we want to be a cup contending team in 2 years (2014-2015):

Jets
Kane ??? Wheeler
Ladd Little Burmistrov
Telegin Scheifele ???
Cormier Slater Machachek
Klingberg

Enstrom Byfuglien
??? Bogosian
Redmond Postma
O`Neill

IceCaps
Lowry O`Dell Kosmachuk
Gregoire Olsen ???
??? Sutter Brassard
??? ??? ???

Melchiori ???
Chiarot Yuen
Sol Serville
Stoykewych

??? can be filled by FA, trade, or keeping some of the current players under TNSE that are not listed (and a few maybe from this years draft depending on birthdate and skill).

Some assumptions have been made:
*lower progression, obviously anyone can jump up but I'd like to not count on such things
*Trouba spending 3-4 years college, thus maximizing development time and ready to jump in to non-sheltered minutes
*I considered minimal regression in 2 years for our top players

I don't think Trouba will spend 3-4 years in college. Likely just 2, imo, and would likely be further ahead than Redmond, Postma, O`Neill, Chiarot, Yuen, Sol, Serville or
Stoykewych in the depth chart when he does arrive. So, I would think Trouba would play, even if it is sheltered minutes as a 3rd pairing dman, once he left college.

I'm hoping this draft provides the Jets with some quality blue-chip prospects and future depth at all positions, especially center and goalie. If Chevy can pull off a deal to have 2 first rd picks (early and late), that may set up the franchise to be a serious playoff contender for years. In 3+ years, which is okay with me.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Max really impressed me in last years Memorial cup tournament. He is a pretty dynamic player and can definitely make things happen. Hopefully he can manage his diabetes over the years, I know last year at the memorial cup he was having a few issues with it as i recall.
Not sure Max really fits what the Jets are building, though if he's around when making their 2nd pick - which won't happen - that would be great value. I think the Jets will continue to add size at forward and at D.

If they are picking top 5 (but not #1), i can see them focusing on Monahan or Barkov. If they pick top 10, then Puluck or Lazar or Shinkaruk (though he's a bit small) or Lindholm might be their target. Top 15 and Domi might be their target, or maybe a guy like Morrissey or Rychel or Furcale.

A top 5 pick, and then a 22-26 pick (in that range) to grab a highly ranked 'slider', may set this team up for great things when the other prospects arrive and hopefully are an upgrade on what we currently have.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:27 PM
puck stoppa

I agree with you about Trouba only being in college for two years. And, I really see lots of upside in Melchiori and Lowry, im starting to think that our depth is looking pretty good for years to come.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I agree with you about Trouba only being in college for two years. And, I really see lots of upside in Melchiori and Lowry, im starting to think that our depth is looking pretty good for years to come.
Completely agree. With some seasoning in the AHL - Lowry, Melchiori and Kosmachuk just might develop into solid NHL players.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:19 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I don't think Trouba will spend 3-4 years in college. Likely just 2, imo, and would likely be further ahead than Redmond, Postma, O`Neill, Chiarot, Yuen, Sol, Serville or
Stoykewych in the depth chart when he does arrive. So, I would think Trouba would play, even if it is sheltered minutes as a 3rd pairing dman, once he left college.
I don't think we totally disagree.

I agree that when Trouba makes the transfer he will definitely jump ahead of all of those names...
My thoughts are, if he doesn't jump ahead of Redmond and Postma then he would be better served to continue in college.
Given two years Trouba (2012-2013 + 2013-2014) I think will 100% be ahead of anyone on that list not named Redmond and Postma, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee for the other two, just a maybe...
He almost definitely will surpass them eventually, I'm just a little more conservative on development speed of anyone, which in my opinion is important when trying to look at depth needs/holes.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Bob E

Quote:
I don't think we totally disagree.

I agree that when Trouba makes the transfer he will definitely jump ahead of all of those names...
My thoughts are, if he doesn't jump ahead of Redmond and Postma then he would be better served to continue in college.
Given two years Trouba (2012-2013 + 2013-2014) I think will 100% be ahead of anyone on that list not named Redmond and Postma, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee for the other two, just a maybe...
He almost definitely will surpass them eventually, I'm just a little more conservative on development speed of anyone, which in my opinion is important when trying to look at depth needs/holes.
True, i'm just basing my view on the fact that i believe Redmond and Postma have more questions - as NHL prospects - then i believe Trouba does. My view is the 'good' that Trouba brings (size, physical play, shot, excellent skating ability, some offensive upside), far out reaches what Redmond and Postma bring. Two years down the road, that should be even more apparent.

I'm not sure Postma will be a solid, regular NHL defenseman when the season finally does start. Offensively, he's likely fine, but i'm not sure he can be trusted defensively. Noel will no doubt shelter his minutes and match-ups, and he'll see spot duty on the power play, but i'm not sure he'll develop into more than that. Redmond seems to be best case, a RH'd Stuart, which isn't awful, it's just that Trouba has top pairing 'potential'. No guarantees he gets there either, but that potential is far greater than the other two, imo.

They may want him in working with Charlie Huddy sooner, rather than later, too.

Now if Buff stays, and Bogo continues to develop, and Postma or Redmond become competent NHL dmen, then potentially 'rushing' Trouba isn't necessary either. My belief is Buff will not be here in 3 years and Trouba will slot into the top 4, very nicely.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:55 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
True, i'm just basing my view on the fact that i believe Redmond and Postma have more questions - as NHL prospects - then i believe Trouba does. My view is the 'good' that Trouba brings (size, physical play, shot, excellent skating ability, some offensive upside), far out reaches what Redmond and Postma bring. Two years down the road, that should be even more apparent.

I'm not sure Postma will be a solid, regular NHL defenseman when the season finally does start. Offensively, he's likely fine, but i'm not sure he can be trusted defensively. Noel will no doubt shelter his minutes and match-ups, and he'll see spot duty on the power play, but i'm not sure he'll develop into more than that. Redmond seems to be best case, a RH'd Stuart, which isn't awful, it's just that Trouba has top pairing 'potential'. No guarantees he gets there either, but that potential is far greater than the other two, imo.

They may want him in working with Charlie Huddy sooner, rather than later, too.

Now if Buff stays, and Bogo continues to develop, and Postma or Redmond become competent NHL dmen, then potentially 'rushing' Trouba isn't necessary either. My belief is Buff will not be here in 3 years and Trouba will slot into the top 4, very nicely.
You gave me some fun stuff to look up and compare but I think I'd be pushing this way off topic, so I'll move my response to the prospect thread -- if you actually want to read... which you may not even care hahah --.

To summarize I agree and don't think anyone wouldn't Trouba > Redmond/Postma potential wise, but I think both Redmond and Postma are all but NHL regular ready already. Although neither may be more than a third pairing D, I think it may take 3 years for Trouba to be heads above and beyond them; what I mean is I don't think Trouba will be on the team for a full season until he can make our second pairing, just like I don't think Scheifele will make the team until he is a top6 guy (or top9 depending on how the team is setup). Of course progression is never linear and defensemen are even more unpredictable than most, so who knows.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
Does anyone follow Owen Sound? Chris Bigras looks to me to be a guy we could use one of our second round picks on, from what I can find.

He has 11 points and is +14 in 14 games, playing the shut down pairing on the team in the OHL that has allowed the fewest goals against.

It's a small sample size, but I think he might be a good one come draft day. If anyone knows anything about him I'd love to hear it.
He's an above average defender and is currently showing he has the ability to continue to improve his offensive game. He's not very physical and his skating is fairly slow, but he does make a good first pass out of the defensive zone, positionally strong, and plays with good hockey IQ.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Jetsfareast
Youth Movement

vCash: 300
Jets 2013 2nd round pick

Lets assume the Jets will pick between 8th to 15th in 2013 draft( top 5 would be awesome though ) . Let say they will pick BPA in that 1st round.

So we move into the 2nd round which will either plug the necessary holes needed to make the jets a playoff team in the future or they find a gem and make them a contender along with the current players, prospect and the 1st rounder in 2013;

Who would you like the jets pick in the 2nd round: they have 3 picks!

My selections:

Shea Theodore D 6.2height 185weight

Frederik Gauthier C 6.5height 210weight

Anthony Mantha Rw 6.3height 200weight

Or take a chance and pick a flyer, which we can afford and wait for the kid to develop.

I will pick Sergie Tolchinsky though small but he has elite speed and skills, and hope he grows up to 5.11 at least.

Or pick Anton slepyshev which is one of the BPA in the draft but he can be another Radulov who stayed in KHL

Old
11-12-2012, 12:05 PM
JetsHomer

None of those first two guys will be available in the second round is my guess.

And I personally have my doubts about jets drafting a small player...and especially not a small Russian playing in Russia.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I understand favouring certain prospects, but it's also way too early to make definite assessments on who to draft. There's still a lot of hockey to be played in the meantime and eligible players are bound to move around in the rankings between now and the draft.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I understand favouring certain prospects, but it's also way too early to make definite assessments on who to draft. There's still a lot of hockey to be played in the meantime and eligible players are bound to move around in the rankings between now and the draft.
totally agree. Not only do we have no idea where we'd be drafting, we have no idea who's going to be ranked where come that time. Nevermind the movement of players in the first round, projecting who's available/ranked appropriately in the second this far in advance is crazy- it always goes waaay off the board as soon as your out of the first round (and usually by pick 15 of the first anyways, or last year, pick 4)

EDIT: forgot to mentionthe "types" of picks i'd like to see. I'd like to see a lefty D pick (preferably a pretty high pick), and at least one boom/bust forward. I'd say a goalie, but goalies are such a crap shoot that i really don't care. i guess between our 4 picks in the first and second i'd like to see 2 forwards and 2 d, the "higher" d preferably being a left sider, and one forward having high offensive potential. No point (imo) in getting anymore into depth then the "types" of picks at this stage of the game.

a couple more "project" d men for the left side wouldn't be bad either. we've essentially got our top 2 righties for the future, best to start looking for their partners.

Last edited by Grind: 11-12-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
jetkarma

Anthony Mantha will be LONG gone by the time the Jets first of three second round picks comes around. They would need to move way up into the first to get him.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:08 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast View Post
Lets assume the Jets will pick between 8th to 15th in 2013 draft( top 5 would be awesome though )
I would prefer a Stanley Cup to be honest.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I would prefer a Stanley Cup to be honest.
why? why win when you can forever get and obtain prospects/picks and drooling over their potential, and then trading them again as soon as they reach that potential to continue drooling over the potential of new prospects, while you team stagnates and never ever gets anywhere becase its constantly breaking in new talent in an effort to trade it away for even NEWER talent.....

sorry thats how i'd sum up 90% of hfboards armchair gms.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Moe Mantha

hot damn, would I love to have another Mantha wear a jersey in this city!

Old
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

EDIT: forgot to mentionthe "types" of picks i'd like to see. I'd like to see a lefty D pick (preferably a pretty high pick), and at least one boom/bust forward. I'd say a goalie, but goalies are such a crap shoot that i really don't care. i guess between our 4 picks in the first and second i'd like to see 2 forwards and 2 d, the "higher" d preferably being a left sider, and one forward having high offensive potential. No point (imo) in getting anymore into depth then the "types" of picks at this stage of the game.

a couple more "project" d men for the left side wouldn't be bad either. we've essentially got our top 2 righties for the future, best to start looking for their partners.
I've been thinking along those lines that I'd like to see us pick up a few lefty dmen in the second round. Two that I've come across that I think look interesting and might be available are Eric Roy from Branden and Chris Bigras from Owen Sound.

Just from looking around those are the two I've come across but I'd love it if someone knows of other guys who might be worth a look at.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
He probably won't be there, but if Chicago's pick is very early in the 2nd, and for some reason he falls, I like what I have read about Darnell Nurse.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
He probably won't be there, but if Chicago's pick is very early in the 2nd, and for some reason he falls, I like what I have read about Darnell Nurse.
We could also possibly trade up into the bottom of the 1st round with ours and Chicago's 2nd's. The 2nd round compensation (Leveille) can't be traded though, because of restrictions on it. I wouldn't mind adding better quality talent in the 1st round, as opposed to hanging onto all our 2nd rounders and grabbing more prospects.

Winnipeg 2nd
Chicago 2nd

for

1st in the 20's

This would of course depend on where those 2nd rounders fell related to talent available.

Last edited by Paradise: 11-15-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old
11-15-2012, 03:49 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
We could also possibly trade up into the bottom of the 1st round with ours and Chicago's 2nd's. The 2nd round compensation (Leveille) can't be traded though, because of restrictions on it. I wouldn't mind adding better quality talent in the 1st round, as opposed to hanging onto all our 2nd rounders and grabbing more prospects.

Winnipeg 2nd
Chicago 2nd

for

1st in the 20's

This would of course depend on where those 2nd rounders fell related to talent available.
To me, my priorities go (skip down a step if tied):
1) BPA
2) Top end skill (we have a lot of bottom6 guys but need more top6 skill guys)
3) Organizational needs (RW and LD and maybe another top6 C to not put eggs in one basket)

If we need to trade up for those, lets do it... but if we can be bright with those 2nd picks we may even score better.

The organization has done well picking guys that fell to third or fourth rounds but were expected to go much higher originally and fell due to "shiny new toy" end of the season risers pushing them aside (examples: Kosmachuk, Lowry, Telegin and Olsen were all considered late 1st-mid 2nd rounders at mid-season). If we could catch some early-mid 1st rounders that fall instead of taking a chance on a "shiny new toy" *cough* Sutter *cough* I don't think a trade up is needed... but may help!

Old
11-15-2012, 04:40 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
To me, my priorities go (skip down a step if tied):
1) BPA
2) Top end skill (we have a lot of bottom6 guys but need more top6 skill guys)
3) Organizational needs (RW and LD and maybe another top6 C to not put eggs in one basket)

If we need to trade up for those, lets do it... but if we can be bright with those 2nd picks we may even score better.

The organization has done well picking guys that fell to third or fourth rounds but were expected to go much higher originally and fell due to "shiny new toy" end of the season risers pushing them aside (examples: Kosmachuk, Lowry, Telegin and Olsen were all considered late 1st-mid 2nd rounders at mid-season). If we could catch some early-mid 1st rounders that fall instead of taking a chance on a "shiny new toy" *cough* Sutter *cough* I don't think a trade up is needed... but may help!
I agree with your priorities.

The trade I suggested would still leave the organization with...

1st(Wpg)
1st(other team)
2nd(#59?)
3rd(Wpg)
3rd(Chi)
4th(Wpg)
5th(Wpg)
6th(Wpg)
7th(Wpg)

That's a total of 9 picks instead of the 10 we currently have. Of course that scenario only makes scense if there's a prospect that the organization has really fallin' in love with in the 20-30 range.

Closed Thread