HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Make Whole, Not War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XIX

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 12:24 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
I'm telling you, I really think the PA was trying to bleed the NHL of revenue so that a lockout would never be used again... THIS is where the PA finally acquired some leverage... After giving concessions last round, they're asked to give them again. Fine, but they'll make the league pay for those concessions this time... Right now it might mean less $ for them, and they understand that, but this is to prevent future lockouts.

I'm hoping Bettman steps down soon after this
I doubt that this would deter them as they lost the whole season last time.

I hope that this time the League will close whatever loopholes might
lead to another lockout being necessary.

In any case the NBA and the NFL also went for a lockout this year, I think it is either get an agreement before hand or have a lockout, no league will start a season with no CBA and hope for the best.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:24 AM
SidTheKid8787

vCash: 500
If you go back to last night/this morning, it was reported no bargaining was going to happen in this meeting. Pretty hard to believe they'd be talking this long just about how to move foward. Things may have snowballed to real negotiations.

Worst Case: They say both sides will sit down Monday.
Best Case: This thing snowballs to the point they continue tomorrow and keep the ball rolling.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:25 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the best thing that happends tonight is that no one on either side says ANYTHING

silence is golden at this point
Couldn't agree more. I will cringe the moment I see a statement from either side cause if they're saying anything other than announcing an agreement in principle, it will likely be negative news that will burst the bubble.

Say nothing, keep at it, do what you're paid to do and put this to bed.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:25 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Well my personal opinion that's not backed up by anything is I think the Leafs and the NHL are scared to put a second team there while Toronto is struggling on the ice. The Leafs may lose fans and people may jump ship to the new team... I guarantee you when the Leafs FINALLY get back in the playoffs, the 2nd team in TO talk will pick up.
The second team is going to be god-awful and no threat to any established team in the market.

Look at the Bettman expansion class and other than the Sharks, have any of these teams become a consistent top team (granted the Sharks can't do anything in the playoffs to save their lives).... and really the Sharks are a special case because their expansion was treated more as a corporation breakup than an actual expansion.

The Ducks would be the second closest. Some of these teams have pretty much been abject failures as hockey organizations. Expansion doesn't = license to play playoff hockey.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:27 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
There won't be a damn team in toronto FFS.

Tired of hearing this.
I agreed with this, but things seem to be converging now.

-new arena being built
-Leafs now owned media conglomerates who want and need content
-Canadian tv deals coming up and the league looking for a chance to cash in (which will be their last chance for awhile)
-Price of said expansion team

The pieces seem to be in place where they can add a second team there and the Leafs can be appeased. Rogers/Bell get the tv rights to the new teams to split with one another and the new team is placed in a separate conference so they aren't direct in-ice competitors.

Now the whole make whole proposal, which I don't think the league would be offering if they didn't think they had money coming in to fund it.

And for the record I think the new national canadian tv deals will be split between TSN/Ctv and CBC. With ctv getting a smaller regular season package (guessing friday nights) along with a conference finals series (the one TSN currently gets 3 games of) and the a final split with CBC. CBC keeps Hockey Night in Canada.

Old
albator71

Guys let's wait and see, to soon to get our hopes up. But it's encouraging, I think they are on the same page so......

Old
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
If you go back to last night/this morning, it was reported no bargaining was going to happen in this meeting. Pretty hard to believe they'd be talking this long just about how to move foward. Things may have snowballed to real negotiations.

Worst Case: They say both sides will sit down Monday.
Best Case: This thing snowballs to the point they continue tomorrow and keep the ball rolling.
That can change VERY quickly and I don't even buy that in the first place. A tactic to throw off the media and fans before getting something done when you least expect it.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:29 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
The second team is going to be god-awful and no threat to any established team in the market.

Look at the Bettman expansion class and other than the Sharks, have any of these teams become a consistent top team (granted the Sharks can't do anything in the playoffs to save their lives).... and really the Sharks are a special case because their expansion was treated more as a corporation breakup than an actual expansion.

The Ducks would be the second closest. Some of these teams have pretty much been abject failures as hockey organizations. Expansion doesn't = license to play playoff hockey.
Ottawa was a top team for awhile, but them and Tampa were pre-Bettman. I think Florida and Anaheim were awarded pre-Bettman as well.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:30 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype

Not saying this marathon Daly/Fehr meeting is a waste. I am saying this is the only day lawyers can have 25 billable hours.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:32 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Interesting. Nobody knows when the meetings actually started. Some on twitter say they have been meeting for 10 hours, some 12, one even said 13. Wow.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:35 AM
oakfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype

Not saying this marathon Daly/Fehr meeting is a waste. I am saying this is the only day lawyers can have 25 billable hours.
Haha. Now it all becomes clear.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:36 AM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Ottawa was a top team for awhile, but them and Tampa were pre-Bettman. I think Florida and Anaheim were awarded pre-Bettman as well.
Yeah, I'm getting senile in my old age. But really out of all of those teams they've only created one consistently good team.

Obviously the conditions will be better than those the early expansion teams operated under but the player supply is spread so thin right now there's no way for these teams NOT to be awful. I guess Toronto 2 could buy its way into being decent, but not initially.

Putting an expansion team in Quebec is crazy, but they don't do expansion to be forward-looking, they do it because they want their money now.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:36 AM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Interesting. Nobody knows when the meetings actually started. Some on twitter say they have been meeting for 10 hours, some 12, one even said 13. Wow.
iam not going to bed until i get confirmation the meeting is over

Old
11-04-2012, 12:40 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

I told a girl I didn't feel like coming over, cause I just opened beer, had a movie on and am checking the boards and twitter for updates. I'm so focused on this right now and want good news.

This BETTER be worth it!

Old
11-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Soundwave

If there were some miracle agreement in the next day or two, could they bring back the Winter Classic or no?

Old
11-04-2012, 12:43 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I am in no way opposed to Canadian expansion, just want to get that on the table before I say...

With all this talk of putting second teams in Quebec and Toronto, the league really needs to be wary of not creating an Islanders/Clippers type situation. These teams will be on an extreme uphill slope trying to peel fans away from the oldest and most obsessed-over teams in the league.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:45 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Get your ***** back from Europe boys...

Old
11-04-2012, 12:46 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If there were some miracle agreement in the next day or two, could they bring back the Winter Classic or no?
I would say no... They've already given Cancellation notices out to ticket holders, and people have most likely started receiving either refunds or cancelled their hotel rooms...

Besides, why do a Winter Classic with only a 60 game season? I know the revenue stream will be shortened, but something just don't seem right

Old
11-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
Hard to believe they've supposedly been at it for at least 8-9 hours. I wonder what they ordered to eat.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:48 AM
kfan22

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector
Here's the thing I keep coming back to: Why is the all-night meeting happening right after they axed the Winter Classic, not before?

Old
11-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
My prediction:

Bill Daly turn heel, join NHLPA and challenge Gary Bettman to a cage match.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:49 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

I am following NHL on Twitter, so everyone is talking about this.

Old
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I am in no way opposed to Canadian expansion, just want to get that on the table before I say...

With all this talk of putting second teams in Quebec and Toronto, the league really needs to be wary of not creating an Islanders/Clippers type situation. These teams will be on an extreme uphill slope trying to peel fans away from the oldest and most obsessed-over teams in the league.
I think there's enough people in Southern Ontario to make Toronto 2 work. There's going to have to be something different about it, obviously the first thing would be to make it accessible to the plebes.

The problem with Quebec is not at all at the start, it should start well, the problem is that they are creating the exact same condition that failed the first time. Small market, really bad team. If the organization does not grow it almost seems doomed to fail. But they don't think about these things when it comes to expansion.

Old
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
Here's the thing I keep coming back to: Why is the all-night meeting happening right after they axed the Winter Classic, not before?
Because. It's not like they planned for an all night meeting today.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:50 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
NHLPA realized they lost their leverage with the cancellation.