HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Make Whole, Not War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XIX

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 01:20 AM
kfan22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
On that note, if this is indeed the end of hostilities, I wonder what role the "verbal offer" earlier this week might have played.

Pure speculation: it seems like this meeting happened really quickly after everyone found out the owners had budged on Make Whole three days before the Winter Classic was cancelled, yet the offer was kept under Fehr's hat until after the fact of cancellation. Perhaps that was enough to break a significant number of players' confidence in his ability to recoup their losses by continuing to draw out the process.
2:19Est or is it 1:19 now i cant imagine they are still meeting

Old
11-04-2012, 01:21 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

I think it's still going on......

Old
11-04-2012, 01:21 AM
wilty00

How funny is it going to be when it comes out tomorrow that they finished at 6:00 and just didn't bother telling anyone?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:22 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Really tempted to go to bed and wake up to big news.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:23 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
How funny is it going to be when it comes out tomorrow that they finished at 6:00 and just didn't bother telling anyone?
So all the "sources" would be wrong?

Old
JAX

Quote:
On that note, if this is indeed the end of hostilities, I wonder what role the "verbal offer" earlier this week might have played.

Pure speculation: it seems like this meeting happened really quickly after everyone found out the owners had budged on Make Whole three days before the Winter Classic was cancelled, yet the offer was kept under Fehr's hat until after the fact of cancellation. Perhaps that was enough to break a significant number of players' confidence in his ability to recoup their losses by continuing to draw out the process.
Could be, because alot of people were asking what exactly is he doing....besides stalling and now with winter classic gone that's one of his leverage points. I still think he will stall until 11th hr before the season get's cancelled anything else just wouldn't be Fehr.

Old
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:

Strong analysis.

Really, if the owners pay the entire make-whole, then the players lose NOTHING on their existing deal, and in the future they will get 50 percent of a pie that due to natural growth and some changes of homes for some franchises, is bound to get a lot bigger, and that 50 percent could be worth more than the 57 percent they had last year!

Old
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:

Quite a coup for Darren Dreger that he was the one contacted by the players with that information.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:26 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
2:19Est or is it 1:19 now i cant imagine they are still meeting
Depends on what's being done. Given the relatively small area of disagreement, I'd imagine that the comment about "the rest can be done in 6 hours" is probably literally true.

If the two sides have reached at least a general agreement on Make Whole, it would make sense to proceed with the rest of a provisional CBA draft document and have it ready for voting on both sides ASAP. I'm sure there would still be more quibbling over details after tonight, but it would be within the context of having an agreed-upon framework. That's not entirely unrealistic, given the events that took place this week.

I mean, the bottom line here is that the most profitable thing for both sides is to start the season immediately. If they keep staring each other down at this point, it's for the sheer sake of trying to break the other side sometime in February.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:26 AM
Psychoil

its so comforting to know that im not the only one wide awake awaiting the good news of this meeting, if there is good news.

if there isn't, well i just ****ed myself again for hoping that this process would end anytime soon.

fingers crossed.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:28 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Quite a coup for Darren Dreger that he was the one contacted by the players with that information.
Indeed. I may have to scale back my snarky remarks about his coverage/rumormongering of the Phoenix saga.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:28 AM
wilty00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
So all the "sources" would be wrong?
You say that like a "source" has never been wrong before.

Was it not glaringly obvious 4-5 hours ago that they all either had the same source or were using eachother's accounts as a source?

Edit: And as exciting as it is that this is happening tonight, it's 3:15 here (well, 2:15 now I guess) and there's no way I'm staying up all night just to find out they're gonna run it by Don tomorrow and see what he thinks. G'night and good luck all.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:29 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
I'm telling you, I really think the PA was trying to bleed the NHL of revenue so that a lockout would never be used again... THIS is where the PA finally acquired some leverage... After giving concessions last round, they're asked to give them again. Fine, but they'll make the league pay for those concessions this time... Right now it might mean less $ for them, and they understand that, but this is to prevent future lockouts.

I'm hoping Bettman steps down soon after this
Like it bled the NHL for a year in 2004?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:29 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Strong analysis.

Really, if the owners pay the entire make-whole, then the players lose NOTHING on their existing deal, and in the future they will get 50 percent of a pie that due to natural growth and some changes of homes for some franchises, is bound to get a lot bigger, and that 50 percent could be worth more than the 57 percent they had last year!
So we can look forward to another lockout in 2018?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
JAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Unfortunatly (if true) that's what it will take to get this guy to start negotiating.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
So we can look forward to another lockout in 2018?
Truth is, if this thing ends now, it will be a distant memory by 2018 and both sides will be ready to do it again.

Or, the world will end in 6 weeks.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:33 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

If there isn't progress, that meltdown on here will be hilarious.

Frustration that will be totally understandable that I will totally share, but the anger will be legendary.

However, If there is, the celebration will be that much more epic. I'm talking about "THE JETS ARE BACK!!" type of celebration, only league wide.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
If there isn't progress, that meltdown on here will be hilarious.

Frustration that will be totally understandable that I will totally share, but the anger will be legendary.

However, If there is, the celebration will be that much more epic. I'm talking about "THE JETS ARE BACK!!" type of celebration, only league wide.
lol those are two pretty extreme pictures your painting bud......but i like it Either way, there's gonna be chaos so im ready to sit back and watch the twitter/hf world explode!

Old
11-04-2012, 01:46 AM
Satan
& try another year

I'm laughing at people that are still awake and expecting big news tonight. It's not gonna happen.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Well without the hour change it would be around 3AM now so...I feel sleepy. Think I'll go.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
This 1:00 hour is a lot less exciting than the last one.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:51 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Like it bled the NHL for a year in 2004?
NHL has alot more revenue at stake this time around... what were revenues in 2003-04's season?

EDIT:

Answer: 4. In 2003-04, the season before the previous lockout (which wiped out the entire season), the NHL made $2.2 billion in revenue. Last season, the NHL made a record $3.3 billion.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ow-the-lockout

Old
TrillMike

So no "news" before day light savings? I'm not seeing anything new.

Old
rdawg1234

hmm so I missed the past few hours. Was this marathon meeting at least a positive one?

to me this means they are negotiating or speaking on ALOT of matters, normally they only meet for an hour or two, a 6+ hour meeting to me tells me there is progress being made right now.

Old
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
lol those are two pretty extreme pictures your painting bud......but i like it Either way, there's gonna be chaos so im ready to sit back and watch the twitter/hf world explode!
To say the least, expectations have been primed for SOMETHING to be announced tomorrow. Even if it's just a bit of progress.

Whether they actually got anything done or not, it would not be advisable for either side to claim that they aren't seeing eye to eye. Talk about bad PR and seriously needing to explain yourself.

Closed Thread