HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Can somebody who follows the WHL a lot give me an update on Lazar's play this season..he's being quiet in terms of production but does he still have a chance to be considered a top 10 pick?
I would be surprised if he wasn't a top 10 pick.

I would say a big reason is due to his linemates, but he is doing other things when not scoring; winning important draws, playing defense, etc.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:07 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
For the arguing above: If you like how Landeskog/Callahan play then you will like how Lazar plays, simple as that.
Landeskog was much much more polished imo

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:27 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
Agree, see lots of Oil Kings games, but Landeskog was also a late birthday. If the draft were today I don't know if I'd take a top 10 but I feel like he's going to kick it into another gear here coming up so we will see.

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Well obviously, that really doesn't have much to do with what he said.

All he said was that if you like how Landeskog/Callahan play, then you will enjoy watching Lazar.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:58 PM
bsmith14

He plays with Legault who cant score for ****, but as mentioned he does all the little things right. His best tool is his shot, he needs to start using it more.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

People need to realize this kid is playing behind St.Croix and Samuelsson. He isn't the top scoring option on the team. Once he gets 1st line minutes and is the go-to guy on offence, the numbers will come.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 01:55 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
People need to realize this kid is playing behind St.Croix and Samuelsson. He isn't the top scoring option on the team. Once he gets 1st line minutes and is the go-to guy on offence, the numbers will come.
Along with TJ Foster and Dylan Wruck who eat up the PP time. Its hard for 17 year olds to get the top minutes on really good teams. Lazar would be 1st line center on more than 50% of the WHL teams.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:05 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I would say a 'touch' more polished (when comparing junior careers).

If anyone saw the nationally televised Oil Kings vs Hitmen game earlier this year, you will know Lazar was quite clearly the best player on the ice that night.

Dominated.

It's hard to compare players in different league, and obviously Gabe transitioned rather seemelessly to the NHL, but Lazar is quite a polished player who plays a straight forward simplistic game similar to Landeskog, albeit as a center (mostly).

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
He plays on the 2nd line with Moroz and Samuelsson. Samuelsson takes the offensive zone face-offs (because Lazar has an amazing shot), and Curtis takes all of the face-offs outside of the offensive zone (because he's better at winning draws than Hanks). They've been using this line, in this way, since all the way back in the last WHL playoffs.

Lazar and Samuelsson both have good chemistry and both are excellent hockey players. Mitchell Moroz, in every game I've seen, is a complete non-contributor. He's a decent board player and works hard on the forecheck, but the same can be said of Hank and Lazar. Moroz doesn't add what that line needs, in my opinion. Really, the only thing he adds is an occasional fight. Big whoop.

Also, the Oil Kings use five forwards on the PP quite frequently, so Lazar is always out on that first unit when Laxdall uses that approach. He also generally gets 2nd PK unit time, along with Samuelsson.

Last edited by rt: 10-31-2012 at 02:16 PM.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 02:30 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He plays on the 2nd line with Moroz and Samuelsson. Samuelsson takes the offensive zone face-offs (because Lazar has an amazing shot), and Curtis takes all of the face-offs outside of the offensive zone (because he's better at winning draws than Hanks). They've been using this line, in this way, since all the way back in the last WHL playoffs.

Lazar and Samuelsson both have good chemistry and both are excellent hockey players. Mitchell Moroz, in every game I've seen, is a complete non-contributor. He's a decent board player and works hard on the forecheck, but the same can be said of Hank and Lazar. Moroz doesn't add what that line needs, in my opinion. Really, the only thing he adds is an occasional fight. Big whoop.

Also, the Oil Kings use five forwards on the PP quite frequently, so Lazar is always out on that first unit when Laxdall uses that approach. He also generally gets 2nd PK unit time, along with Samuelsson.
Excellent post. Moroz is a bit of a plug (still surprised the Oilers took him 32nd overall last year, with guys like Finn and Collberg on the board), but Samuelsson is a very good winger, and the Oil Kings are a strong team in general, it's not like Lazar is playing with scrubs. He also gets a solid amount of PP time. His production is mediocre because he's not a polished offensive dynamo, he's a kid with great intangibles and a great shot, but not a guy who dominates offensively. I definitely like him as a prospect, I think he'll have a shot to go top 10 in the draft, but I don't see the need to overhype his current offensive game.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:01 PM
bsmith14

Quote:

Good to know. This basically makes my post look like im talking out of my ass haha. I thought in the two games I saw that Lazar wasnt on the 1st PP and Legault was still on the wing with him and Samuelsson.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Just watched Lazar tonight in Swift Current.

What stood out most is his sheer physicality and effort level. He threw a few real big body checks (against everyone from Lowry to Needomel, some of Swift's biggest players) and drew a penalty from a hard forecheck. Him and Samuelsson did not look like they'd be fun to play against.

I'm totally buying into the Shane Doan comparison.

Sartorial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:07 AM
puckfan13

Quote:

Moroz has been playing with Ewanyk and Wilson lately... Samuelsson is on the first PP usually with St. Croix, Wruck, Foster and Lazar and then the second unit (that Moroz line) goes out with Reinhart on the point.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:08 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
He plays with Legault who cant score for ****, but as mentioned he does all the little things right. His best tool is his shot, he needs to start using it more.
Legault has been injured for like 9 or 10 games now by the way.. he broke his foot or something blocking a shot.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
Just watched Lazar tonight in Swift Current.

What stood out most is his sheer physicality and effort level. He threw a few real big body checks (against everyone from Lowry to Needomel, some of Swift's biggest players) and drew a penalty from a hard forecheck. Him and Samuelsson did not look like they'd be fun to play against.

I'm totally buying into the Shane Doan comparison.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Does he play a physical style of hockey?

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
scroll up.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Yeah, there's 14 pages worth of reading here on the kid.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Only 12 points in 18 games now. I wonder what the scouts are thinking.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Probably that points don't really mean much.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:56 AM
bsmith14

Oil Kings dont seem to have a real high powered offence for such a good team. Lazar creates a lot of chances though, the points will come. I predict he will finish close to a PPG pace.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I would imagine they're quite pleased with the way his game has rounded out - even more so this season. He's used in all situations, both special teams, is an assistant captain.

Very impressive for a 17-year-old.

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
And on that note, he's had some help preparing for the draft.

Quote:
A member of the Edmonton Oil Kings, Lazar can look across the dressing room at Griffin Reinhart, selected fourth overall by the New York Islanders in 2012.

And Lazar knows how lucky he is to have that experience a stall away.

“That helps a lot,” Lazar said. “Look at Reinhart last year and how high he got picked. Just little tidbits I can get from him and ask him really helps a lot.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/lazar...t-day-veteran/

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:36 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
And on that note, he's had some help preparing for the draft.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/lazar...t-day-veteran/
As an Isles fan I hope they have the chance to select this kid and they take him. Put in a good word Griff!!!

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:19 AM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
Is he better utilized as a center or winger?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote