HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Make Whole, Not War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XIX

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 01:51 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Maybe no news since all the insiders fell asleep? Maybe the meeting is over?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:53 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Silly as it sounds, there's a possibility that talks are still happening but that the one source who's leaking things is now asleep.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:53 AM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
NHL has alot more revenue at stake this time around... what were revenues in 2003-04's season?
2.2 billion I believe. So around 1.1 billion less.

both players and owners(if they get 50/50) are on track to make more than that 2.2b in their share alone within a couple years. That's of course if this damn lockout ends soon.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:59 AM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Also, the Winter Classic isn't technically canceled, it's postponed till next year.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:00 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Silly as it sounds, there's a possibility that talks are still happening but that the one source who's leaking things is now asleep.
Very true.

One guy on Twitter said he saw a blogger post that it was still going on as of 1:30

Who knows now....time to get some sleep and hopefully we find out more in the morning and there's good news.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:01 AM
DancesWithWookies

vCash: 907
Even these boards are on daylight savings time.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
This should be good, there's no way a meeting that goes on for that long does not yield positive results.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
This should be good, there's no way a meeting that goes on for that long does not yield positive results.
I agree but I feel like we'll end up hearing how minor details were discussed but core issues are still a concern yadda yadda. I don't know how, but I feel like that's whats going to happen. Seems like progress just doesn't exist this time around.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:07 AM
CN_paladin

Both guys fell asleep.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:07 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
Also, the Winter Classic isn't technically canceled, it's postponed till next year.
No, it's technically cancelled.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:08 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
No, it's technically cancelled.
Until next year

Old
11-04-2012, 01:10 AM
rdawg1234

As a leaf fan I'm fine with it being cancelled as an agreement will not come in time to save the 24/7 stuff which is really most of the reason why I cared about this. That 24/7 stuff is an awesome way to see how the team is behind the scenes. The actual game is quite mediocre(although I'd be more into it as it's a leaf game).

still dissapointing by this whole lockout thing has been disappointing. I'll just be damn happy if we get any hockey this year!

Old
11-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseonewillis View Post
I agree but I feel like we'll end up hearing how minor details were discussed but core issues are still a concern yadda yadda. I don't know how, but I feel like that's whats going to happen. Seems like progress just doesn't exist this time around.
"We are happy to report that progress has been made on secondary issues. The vitamin container in the locker room will now be CYLINDRIC instead of being SQUARE WITH ROUNDED EDGES. Core issues remain a concern, none of which were discussed in this 17 hours meeting. Tomorrow, we will begin discussing the appropriate filling level of the water bottles the players use, as well as discussing the water waste resulting from players sometimes spitting water."

Old
11-04-2012, 01:13 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Bedtime. We may hear more tomorrow, but my bet is both NHL and NHLPA "going dark" tonight because this is a sensitive time in talks.
We can only hope.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Both sides remaining quiet is great news for us.

Now we wait to see where it goes from here.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
They probably spent most of the night arguing over who pays what percentage of the dinner bill.

I'm not getting my hopes up again.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:44 AM
chances14

Quote:
Has that been announced? I know it's the working assumption right now, but I haven't seen anything even close to a suggestion that the event is cleared for takeoff in 2014. Apologies if something was said and I missed it.
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=84540

Quote:
the NHL has confirmed that the next Winter Classic will be played at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor featuring the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs and will include the Hockeytown Winter Festival at Comerica Park in Detroit.
that's about as close as you can get without officially announcing it

Old
11-04-2012, 02:00 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Perhaps there is a need to post the sarcasm smiley for someone to actually understand sarcasm
That's what it's there for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Yeah, I think it's just an assumption people have. The Red Wings official site doesn't say that the Red Wings will now host the 2014 Winter Classic instead, it just says that they will host the NEXT Winter Classic. I guess the assumption is based on many people thinking that a CBA deal done before November 2013 is very likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=84540

that's about as close as you can get without officially announcing it

I hadn't seen that before, thanks for sharing. I'd imagine Illitch and whoever serves as the Leafs' BOG rep insisted on an iron-clad promise from Bettman as a condition for supporting the lockout.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Both sides remaining quiet is great news for us.

Now we wait to see where it goes from here.
I am very sceptical when this is comming from Dreger who officially has become Bettmans errant boy.

Bettman told Fehr they could discuss make whole. What else is new here? But Dreger trying to spin this as NHL moving when they have not, in an attempt to create false hope within the union and get the players frustrated.

Is it me or does Dreger seem to be a tremendous weasel...

BTW, anyone doubting the above, just go back and read Dregers twitter history from the summer to now. I don't know whether to cry or laugh.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:06 AM
Kopistar

At the beginning of this Daly said something along the lines of, "this meeting today is more to just get ideas going about how to move the process forward" So............. 8+ hours of....... talking about how to move it forward???? There's GOTTA BE real negotiations going on. And they don't want to ruin it by telling the media what they are really doing.

We shall see tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

Old
11-04-2012, 02:27 AM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am very sceptical when this is comming from Dreger who officially has become Bettmans errant boy.

Bettman told Fehr they could discuss make whole. What else is new here? But Dreger trying to spin this as NHL moving when they have not, in an attempt to create false hope within the union and get the players frustrated.

Is it me or does Dreger seem to be a tremendous weasel...
The NHL did move off thier original position of the deferment to "make whole" that the players didn't like in an official proposal.

He got info from a player source, proceeded to verify it with the other side. Got it verified and ran the story. I don't know about all the other stuff you're talking about(twitter etc.) but on this one, he did what a good reporter should do.

It even looks worse for people claiming he's a league trumpet when the story originated from an agent or someone else closer to the PA side.

It was news and he reported it. Simple as.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Crows*

Highly unlikely .. But what if a deal is done within 2-3 weeks. How about moving the Winter classic to late January/ early feb..

Old
11-04-2012, 02:34 AM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Highly unlikely .. But what if a deal is done within 2-3 weeks. How about moving the Winter classic to late January/ early feb..
Just dont have it this year at all, we're looking at a 60 game season at best IMO. Let the leafs/Detroit play in the classic next year. It's not that huge of a deal.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:44 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Winter Classic should be the least of the Leagues problems, I'll take ANY hockey right now.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:44 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
The NHL did move off thier original position of the deferment to "make whole" that the players didn't like in an official proposal.

He got info from a player source, proceeded to verify it with the other side. Got it verified and ran the story. I don't know about all the other stuff you're talking about(twitter etc.) but on this one, he did what a good reporter should do.

It even looks worse for people claiming he's a league trumpet when the story originated from an agent or someone else closer to the PA side.

It was news and he reported it. Simple as.
You don't know about that and that was what my post was about -- so what exactly are you replying to???

Time after another Dreger has spinned something as very positive in favor of the owners, and it has more or less every time turned out to be a ploy after another...

I've not critizsed Dreger for this one report in any way. I only said that I was sceptical.

Please try to read what a poster actually is writing before you jump on him/her.

Closed Thread