HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Negotiations II: This is the song that never ends...

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 01:59 PM
toughfighter83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

If I'm the players, since the NHL refuses to so much as read their proposals, I refuse to negotiate until Bettman and Daly are removed. See how bad they're willing to lose everything. Even pro-owner people know Bettman has little respect for the game, and is showing even less respect to the players. And as a fan, I can live with another lost season if it means I never have to see Bettman's face again. In 2005, a deal (also) got done because both sides took Bettman (and Goodenow) out of the room.

It's just bewildering how much the league is willing to give up to help franchises in markets that only hope to break even, if not completely unworkable.
dude that's just crazy because it will never happen, that's pretty much saying hockey is screwed for the long term. im sick of the pointing fingers just get something done, no bs.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
sooner or later, the players have to their heads out their a## and get rid of feur or there's never going to be any hockey because he wont budge on any deal unless it's the same as last year that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
im sick of the pointing fingers just get something done, no bs.
You're sick of pointing fingers...while you furiously point all of your fingers and a few toes at the players. Gotcha.

Quote:

It's just bewildering how much the league is willing to give up to help franchises in markets that only hope to break even, if not completely unworkable.
Yeah. I don't get it. I especially don't get why Jacobs is supposedly siding with those guys, either. I'd think it's in his interest to get hockey started immediately so his money train can get rolling. I'd also think it's in his interest to move those moneypits somewhere profitable instead of keeping them on failing life support.

The same is true for Leonsis, if rumors are true. In the last 2-3 years he's made some big fan gains here while the Redskins, Wizards, and Nationals were all terrible. Well...the Skins are suddenly interesting and the Nationals are good. He has sports competition and stands to lose a lot of new fans with this lockout since they've got alternatives now. There's a lot of disgust here and I've seen a few people who had recently turned on to the Caps get turned off by this labor dispute. OV's comments haven't helped either. I don't know that he'll put the Caps back at square 1 for attendance, but I'd be surprised if it isn't a step back.

It's not like the Wizards are a cash cow for him, either. I'd think he'd want to keep building on the Caps growing popularity as fast as he can, but apparently not

Pull Leonsis and Jacobs out and the 8 rumored hardliners suddenly lose their ability to control the league's destiny. Sheer money-grubbing greed seems to be their motivation, because little else would readily make sense.

11-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Prongo
Beer

I think we will see hockey very soon. Lots of positive news on twitter about NHL backing off some issues and NHLPA just wanting to get the deal done. Let's go boys.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:23 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Not that people should be shocked, but TSN is awfully quick to take what the NHL gives them and go tell it on the mountain.

Both sides should go all the way now, in my opinion.

If I was the owners, my next move is to wipe everything out. Just announce you're cancelling the whole schedule, but intend to continue working on a deal. They'd have to create a new schedule anyways. Stop pretending that you're trying to save something, and don't let the players try to pretend they are either. Fans will simply go into apathy. In 2005, a deal got done when hockey fans themselves stopped paying attention and acting like they're caught up in the middle.

If I'm the players, since the NHL refuses to so much as read their proposals, I refuse to negotiate until Bettman and Daly are removed. See how bad they're willing to lose everything. Even pro-owner people know Bettman has little respect for the game, and is showing even less respect to the players. And as a fan, I can live with another lost season if it means I never have to see Bettman's face again. In 2005, a deal (also) got done because both sides took Bettman (and Goodenow) out of the room.

I agree on all counts. I have to wonder if Bettman et al really understand how bad this looks to people. 3 lockouts on his watch is too many. Get rid of him and his half-baked, southern expansion ideas and give the game the respect it deserves.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:25 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think we will see hockey very soon. Lots of positive news on twitter about NHL backing off some issues and NHLPA just wanting to get the deal done. Let's go boys.
Ya the Billionaires are giving into the Millionaires its all about the Mighty BUCK..

Old
11-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I agree on all counts. I have to wonder if Bettman et al really understand how bad this looks to people. 3 lockouts on his watch is too many. Get rid of him and his half-baked, southern expansion ideas and give the game the respect it deserves.
^
Bettman was responsible for 4 expansion teams (Min , Col , Atl , Nas)

Only 2 are southern and only 1 is a failure

Carolina is only Southern relocation that occured under him (Dallas was already in process when he was coming into office)

Carolina has been good for NHL overall and have a nice solid fanbase built from the ground up

The continued bashing of Bettman over the South is misguided

Old
11-03-2012, 06:24 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Ya the Billionaires are giving into the Millionaires its all about the Mighty BUCK..
What else should it be about?

You earn money by surrendering your talents and your time (minutes of your life).

I damn well consider both of those things mighty and important.

I don't suppose they should run a massive organization with tons of working parts -- often putting in the type of hours executives do-- so that you can feel all warm and fuzzy.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Krishna

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl
As reported,CBA meeting still going.For me,very good sign obviously that its lasted this long,even better,no info leaked from either side.

Sounds like they've been meeting for 6 hours now

Old
11-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

What time was that tweeted?

Old
11-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Half an hour ago.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Krishna

Quote:
below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Half an hour ago.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Wow, that's promising.

I've suspected for a while this will be like the NBA lockout; all doom and gloom until suddenly it's all OK.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Wow, that's promising.

I've suspected for a while this will be like the NBA lockout; all doom and gloom until suddenly it's all OK.
That's how it's been so far until we heard about the NHL offering to pay the make whole thing.

Hopefully we get a deal done soon so we can have at least a 60 game season

Old
11-03-2012, 10:03 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Damn you emotional roller coaster, how you taunt both me and my GPA.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Krishna

From 3 mins ago

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

According to source, CBA meetings still taking place at this hour. #TSN

Old
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

A good sign becomes even better!

If the result of all these talks is "Good news! We've agreed that hot dogs should cost 2.50!" I'm going to drink myself to death.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:54 AM
Krishna

Everything on twitter looks like they are STILL negotiating

Old
11-04-2012, 01:00 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Everything on twitter looks like they are STILL negotiating
I swear, considering how long they've been going, is there a toilet in the conference room?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:27 AM
Krishna

And now they are done

Old
11-04-2012, 01:28 AM
SolidSnakeUS

If they started at 4PM EST, doesn't that mean it went on for over 11 hours?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Krishna

Did you account for daylights savings time too?

Old
11-04-2012, 02:00 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Did you account for daylights savings time too?
Yeah. 4PM to 2AM is 10 hours, then pull the hour back and it was after 2AM again (when I posted) so over 11 hours yeah.

Weird ****ing post times...

Old
11-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
As has been said, there is only a single failure on a southern team on his watch.

How do people not understand that without expansion into markets that are not traditional hockey markets, you will never see those big TV deals. You need to expand and grow if you want prime time TV slots. Minnesota, Colorado, San Jose have all been massive success stories, stories that have allowed bettman to put forth bigger proposals towards TV companies.

Why bother with 3 more teams in Canada to a TV company, they already watch the games anyway.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:55 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

As much as I love hockey and the Flyers, after the horrible devistation I've seen firsthand, peoples home destroyed their entire lives washed away, cars, pictures, everything lost to the storm and water, the players and the owners can both go **** themselves with who's going to make more money petty ********, proirotize and get your **** together players and owners, as the eastern seaboard rebuilds our lives we'll wait for you guys to sort out you greed

Old
11-04-2012, 08:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
As much as I love hockey and the Flyers, after the horrible devistation I've seen firsthand, peoples home destroyed their entire lives washed away, cars, pictures, everything lost to the storm and water, the players and the owners can both go **** themselves with who's going to make more money petty ********, proirotize and get your **** together players and owners, as the eastern seaboard rebuilds our lives we'll wait for you guys to sort out you greed

Come on, man. I am so sick of hearing about how this is all about greed. The players, like it or not, don't care about you as much as they do themselves and their families. Same goes for the owners. Just like at your job you want what is best for you, not what is best for the people patronizing whatever industry you are involved in. The players and owners are involved in a business. Yes they both make more money than most of us will ever see, but wanting a better deal for yourself, your family, and future NHLers/NHL owners is not "greedy." I suppose if you get a great job one day making a ton of money, you wouldn't ever ask for a raise or better working conditions, correct?

Closed Thread