HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

[Game 8/9] Bingo @ Norfolk| Novembeer 2nd, 2012 | 7:05pm w/ stream

Old
11-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Bingo produces very little in terms of offensive zone possession time and actual offensive zone playmaking. And their PP always appears to be dealing with too much pressure.

Petersson and SDC have been violently underperforming with the puck.

The breakout appears out of sync.

We have two new wingers to NA who have played on the same line since day 1, which may not have been the best approach in order to let them acclimatize. Actually, I don't think we have a line that has all 3 players in chemistry.

The team is in tough at center with Da Costa not doing much and Pageau being fresh out of junior, and not a can't miss prospect.

You can't put up individual numbers if the team is playing like this.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 11-04-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Bingo produces very little in terms of offensive zone possession time and actual offensive zone playmaking. And their PP always appears to be dealing with too much pressure.

The breakout appears out of sync.

We have two new wingers to NA who have played on the same line since day 1, which may not have been the best approach in order to let them acclimatize. Actually, I don't think we have a line that has all 3 players in chemistry.

The team is in tough at center with Da Costa not doing much and Pageau being fresh out of junior, and not a can't miss prospect.

You can't put up individual numbers if the team is playing like this.
true, and there is the argument that better players play with better with better players - But Zibby seems to be underwhleming at best.

The thing is he is in most top 10 prospect lists and he seems to maybe living more into his draft stock as a Mike Fisher type of player, maybe he is a guy who flirts at 40 points most of his career and has some 25-25 seasons.
I'm hoping he is more an Arnott, Michalek, Hossa type and doesn't turn into a Greening or Fisher who doesn't fight. Fisher is a nice player but if Zibby is on the path to be a complimentary 2nd line player instead of a player who you build a 2nd line around (Turri, Michalek) I think it will be a big disapointment.

He'll be a 'better in the playoffs' type of player, but he seems to have the MSP thing were he does a lot out there except get results - kinda worries me.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
true, and there is the argument that better players play with better with better players - But Zibby seems to be underwhleming at best.

The thing is he is in most top 10 prospect lists and he seems to maybe living more into his draft stock as a Mike Fisher type of player, maybe he is a guy who flirts at 40 points most of his career and has some 25-25 seasons.
I'm hoping he is more an Arnott, Michalek, Hossa type and doesn't turn into a Greening or Fisher who doesn't fight. Fisher is a nice player but if Zibby is on the path to be a complimentary 2nd line player instead of a player who you build a 2nd line around (Turri, Michalek) I think it will be a big disapointment.

He'll be a 'better in the playoffs' type of player, but he seems to have the MSP thing were he does a lot out there except get results - kinda worries me.
But you do need a better environment to actually validate your worries. We are not getting this at the moment.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:20 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post

This has always been the issue with him. He's got all the tools basically, maybe lacking in decision-making more than anything, but doesn't seem to get too much out of his speed, power and heavy shot most nights.

Him and Silfverberg have clearly not been working. Zibanejad at the half-wall on the power play has clearly not been working. Silfverberg in his position at the PP has clearly not been working. I don't know if there are orders from upstairs that Luke has to follow or if he just stubbornly trying to force-feed this until it works.

As you point out, some other guys who've been expected to be playing better like Petersson haven't really helped in any way, either.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
The Ottawa Senators started the year rather terribly last year but finished strong.

Too early to write off a team that finished in the basement the prior year: new coaching staff (first time gig as the head man for the coach) and some new top end prospects that need to get used to NA (Silfverberg and Zibanejad).

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
But you do need a better environment to actually validate your worries. We are not getting this at the moment.
This is what worries most, the games I've watched he's played with Silf, and his coaches always seem to want to move him into slots to get more out of him - it happened at the WJC, and Coach Richardson is moving him to Center and Wing - he just hasn't seemed to have found his game. When we drafted him he looked to be a good all directions 2nd line Center who was good in front of the net and down low - now we're not sure if he is a LW, a Center, a RW, I like the look of his game, just not the results it gets.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Johnny Hanson

Quote:
Really? The guys a 6th overall pick. You can blame others all you want but the fact of the matter is the guy needs to be better and start creating some offence on his own.

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:38 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Next game Wed Nov 7th at WBS - yet again on the road. I hope Bingo gets a mad sellout next homegame since they've been away for so long.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot karlsson View Post
Really? The guys a 6th overall pick. You can blame others all you want but the fact of the matter is the guy needs to be better and start creating some offence on his own.
I'm not defending him only I'm defending the individual play of most of the players that aren't playing up to par. As a team their ability to play offensively has been dreadful.

This is me saying what I usually say, you need more time.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Johnny Hanson

Quote:
I'm not defending him only I'm defending the individual play of most of the players that aren't playing up to par. As a team their ability to play offensively has been dreadful.

This is me saying what I usually say, you need more time.
Fair enough, I'm just expecting more out of him, although I do recognize the fact it is early in his pro career and the whole team is struggling to create offence

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:39 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Petersson has been very solid the past 2 games and the only person moving his feet in the offensive zone besides Prince last night.

On a random note, I've been very impressed with Wiercioch. Guy's been playing like a top defensive prospect.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

agree that petersson has looked better the last 2.

richardson is in his first yr head coaching and needs time to know the players, league and what works.

i agree with everything MoO posted, especially the out of sync breakout.

hopefully the pressure isn't too great to keep zibanejad with silfverberg(the idea might be turris in between). obviously they want him at LW and that makes sense but how long before you try him at center? or is there even any point?

whatever the case, the team is not organized (enough)on the ice yet. that needs to be fixed before anyone will start scoring consistently.

stop underestimating mike fisher. zibanejad has not shown fisher ability yet. (flashes don't count)http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008181999.html

Last edited by Icelevel: 11-04-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:10 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot karlsson View Post
That's a strange criticism. Aside from the two games this weekend, Zibanejad has created a ton of offensive opportunities for himself. He's getting lots of shots and good opportunities by winning battles without much help from his line mates. Grant being his center this weekend didn't help. He's a bit of an offensive black hole. Terrible decision maker imo.

Personally, I've been quite pleased with how Zibanejad has played in all the games I watched just not last night when the whole team was pretty poor in the first. Silfverberg has improved game to game as well. His best game was the first in Norfolk. He's looking much more comfortable in getting his shots off.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

i thought silfverberg's best game was his first. (or was it second?or was it preseason?)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Petersson has been very solid the past 2 games and the only person moving his feet in the offensive zone besides Prince last night.

On a random note, I've been very impressed with Wiercioch. Guy's been playing like a top defensive prospect.
Petersson isn't managing the puck well at all.

His standards at this level must be a little higher because by NHL standards, he is too slight.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
i thought silfverberg's best game was his first. (or was it second?or was it preseason?)
I think both Silfverberg and Zibanejad played their best hockey during the pre-season, and the first regular season game was probably their best as a duo as well. They aren't clicking (just yet).

I don't have the shot statistics (where does one find that?) but Zibanejad would probably be way up there, but how many of those shots have actually had the chance of going in? (yeah, yeah, every one of them etc..) Was the same when everyone was excited about how many shots Zibanejad had at the WJC when half of them where from the neutral zone.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
I think both Silfverberg and Zibanejad played their best hockey during the pre-season, and the first regular season game was probably their best as a duo as well. They aren't clicking (just yet).

I don't have the shot statistics (where does one find that?) but Zibanejad would probably be way up there, but how many of those shots have actually had the chance of going in? (yeah, yeah, every one of them etc..) Was the same when everyone was excited about how many shots Zibanejad had at the WJC when half of them where from the neutral zone.
No one got excited about anything Mika did before he scored the winner.

A handful of those shots went off the post and another were off well-timed one time shots on the powerplay. He also did it without being on the top PP unit. You know, leading goal scorers tend to score an above average amount of empty netters.

Silfverberg looked fine last night, I think he needs to get more assertive shooting the puck, however he needs to do that. That line altogether just needs to get more in control of the puck.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Berserker*

They need stone, Cowen and gryba back in the lineup. Stone was an offensive catalyst before he got injured. They should try him on a line with zibanejad. This team has been hurting offensively since losing stone.

Getting Cowen back will help with the breakout and power play. And getting Cowen and gryba back will help stabilize the defense.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:25 PM
HenrySpezzaThoreau
Out in the woods

I would love to see Stone and Prince play together

HenrySpezzaThoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
I would love to see Stone and Prince play together
Call up their parents and arrange a play date.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Stones playmaking could get Zib out of his scoring drought.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:42 PM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
They need stone, Cowen and gryba back in the lineup. Stone was an offensive catalyst before he got injured. They should try him on a line with zibanejad. This team has been hurting offensively since losing stone.

Getting Cowen back will help with the breakout and power play. And getting Cowen and gryba back will help stabilize the defense.
Bingo needs to learn yo play without these guys though because if the NHL season resumes they'll def be without cowen and at least one of stone Hoffman silf or zib

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote