HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Make Whole, Not War (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XIX

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
The simple response to this is look at the team values:

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

22 million makes less than 6 million...
The Maple Leafs are worth more than the Rangers for reasons that go beyond simple population numbers

Old
11-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
So, what is the feeling this morning?

Optimism?

Old
11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

Optimism?
Sort of. It's "cautious" optimism.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

vCash: 500
Quote:

Optimism?
Indifference.

In all honesty, I have better things to do today.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:

Optimism?
I'm excited at the fact hockey could be back soon...but for today my Knicks and giants are on so ill try to keep my mind off of it

Old
11-04-2012, 10:50 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Taking the wait and see approach here. I think everything to come out of yesterday is extremely good news and we'ee definitely getting closer to a deal, question is just how close. It's going to be interesting to see if the meetings expand to larger groups this week, if another official proposal is tabeled, and if there is will it get to a vote on either/both side? This week is massive and is going to give us an idea if we'll get hockey this season and how long a season it would be. When you're this close to the finish line, you kick it up a few gears. I want to see more marathon meetings, no media banter and this thing can be wrapped up.

Old
Doobz89

I feel yesterday was good but who knows when the 2 idiots fehr and bettman get involved again. Was there ever a meeting that went this long in 04' where nothing transpired from it?

Old
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:

Optimism?
Too early to say... They talked a whole bunch so they both probably unloaded a lot of what was on their chests so that's bound to be somewhat positive in terms of clearing the air and trying to move the process forward.
The fact that the meeting took place is positive, but I would not call myself optimistic; I'd say I am intrigued and looking forward to see where this goes.
Unfortunately Donald Fehr remains at the head of the PA so until the lockout is resolved or he gets overthrown, any optimism is misplaced. Some people have mentioned that some insiders claim to have heard player unrest at the PA's rumored inertia to the NHL showing some details as to how to handle the make whole provision that may have been passed on the PA three days prior to the cancellation of the Winter Classic: if all this is true (I think Dredger was the only one to mention it) this could be start of the PA's membership waking up and making an effort into taking matters into their own hands since Fehr has done sweet **** all to help the talks.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:52 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

But yes I agree with the poster that said I got too much going on today to really care or think about it. I got work, school assignments to do, Seahawks got a big home game versus Minny, the Raptors play and go for ther first win and new animation domination shows on Fox. Yeah, definitely putting a pause on keeping up with this stuff until tmrw or tues.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:53 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Why no teams in Mexico City then?
Its hilarious to see how a rhetorical question can spark a string of posts debating the merits of a team in Mexico City.

The point that I was trying to get across -- that should have gotten across -- was that population alone should not be the determining factor in deciding where an NHL team is located.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
NHLPA's Steve Fehr: "I agree with what Bill said. Hopefully we can continue the dialogue, expand the group, and make steady progress."

They're agreeing... in public?

What's going on?

Old
11-04-2012, 10:59 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
NHLPA's Steve Fehr: "I agree with what Bill said. Hopefully we can continue the dialogue, expand the group, and make steady progress."

What's going on?
Can the owners and players now vote to appoint Bill and Steve as interim replacements for Don and Gary until a deal is struck?

Old
11-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:

What's going on?
Ugh this is what I am afraid of... Expanding the group means bringing in D. Fehr and Bettman. I am a fan of Bettman and have a very low opinion of Fehr but those two just can't seem to get anything going so I will reserve optimism for when they are involved and things actually move along.
Last time D Fehr said anything positive he followed it up with an epic failure so I am looking for results over rhetoric

Old
11-04-2012, 11:08 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
There will be a "negotiating call held today" for the #NHLPA. Time hasn't been confirmed yet. #CBA

11-04-2012, 11:08 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Ugh this is what I am afraid of... Expanding the group means bringing in D. Fehr and Bettman. I am a fan of Bettman and have a very low opinion of Fehr but those two just can't seem to get anything going so I will reserve optimism for when they are involved and things actually move along.
Last time D Fehr said anything positive he followed it up with an epic failure so I am looking for results over rhetoric
I think that D Fehr and Bettman are more than just figureheads, and actually do need to be there for any real progress to be made. Although they do seem to ruin everything each time they sit down together, if they don't sit down a deal won't be made by Daly and S Fehr holding secret meetings/phone calls.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
There will be a "negotiating call held today" for the #NHLPA. Time hasn't been confirmed yet. #CBA
Sounds like the head of the PA will be polling the representatives about something hmmm? Or will it be another session of "This is bad, league wants to screw you, blah blah blah.."?

Old
11-04-2012, 11:11 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:

What's going on?
Mutual case of Stockholm Syndrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Hope is a scary feeling after so may let downs.

Please keep this rolling.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:12 AM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Sounds like the head of the PA will be polling the representatives about something hmmm? Or will it be another session of "This is bad, league wants to screw you, blah blah blah.."?
That's the question

Old
11-04-2012, 11:13 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I think that D Fehr and Bettman are more than just figureheads, and actually do need to be there for any real progress to be made. Although they do seem to ruin everything each time they sit down together, if they don't sit down a deal won't be made by Daly and S Fehr holding secret meetings/phone calls.
This board loves to single out people for the reason this deal is not done. You don't think Steve and Bill know the direction their respective camps want to head? It's not Gary vs. Dave, ect. It's still the owners against the players.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Agreed: no deal gets made without the approval of both leaders: they are the leaders after all!
I am just saying that the second in commands have made and that's all well and good but we've been down this road before so I am not getting my hopes up.
We all know the road gets rocky once those two get invovled and that the part we need to get through...

Old
11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:

What's going on?
Agree???

Bettman and D. Fehr are going nuts right now......they just don't know what it means.

Seriously, i think this a even better than the 12hrs meeting itself. I think it's the first time they are "agreeing" on something...

Old
11-04-2012, 11:16 AM
TieClark

Quote:
The Maple Leafs are worth more than the Rangers for reasons that go beyond simple population numbers
Clearly... their population is drastically lower. The point was the support is overwhelming in the GTA for hockey.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
This board loves to single out people for the reason this deal is not done. You don't think Steve and Bill know the direction their respective camps want to head? It's not Gary vs. Dave, ect. It's still the owners against the players.
It definitely is Bettman versus Fehr: both get their marching orders from their respective membership but both have considerable clout over them.
On one hand you've got Bettman who can force a deal on the owners if he really feels like it (whether doing so is a good or bad idea is for another discussion) whereas from what we know of how Fehr handles the players it seems he keeps them misinformed (or asks them to give that impression).
The results are what matters and when both of them get unto the ice things get rocky.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Clearly... their population is drastically lower. The point was the support is overwhelming in the GTA for hockey.
The point is that population on it's own is no way to measure the potential success of a potential second franchise.

I don't remember who said it but it comes down to the Leafs turning things around: the only time a second team in the GTA will be seriously considered is when the Maple Leafs make the playoffs and the biggest revenue getter in the NHL does not feel threatened by another team encroaching in it's territory: no one on the Board of Governors will want a second team in the GTA if they could eat part of the Maple Leafs' revenues.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:26 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
It sounds like a certain middle ground was struck last night which could be the framework for a final deal. My guess is that the conference call is to present that framework to the player reps for feedback and possibly an up/down vote on moving forward with what has been established.

Closed Thread