HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NBA Off-Season Thread: There's a new team in town

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Going to the Net game tonight, casual Knick fan though. Can't wait to see Barclays.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If the teams offense is worse with Amar'e, that's a coaching problem. It's the defense that would suffer. Let's see how many bad Melo games it takes before people are clamoring for the "overrated" Amar'e. I don't think Carmelo is going to be as involved on defense as he was last night against other teams, I hope I'm wrong though.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:08 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

He played really good defense under Woodson last year too.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If the teams offense is worse with Amar'e, that's a coaching problem. It's the defense that would suffer. Let's see how many bad Melo games it takes before people are clamoring for the "overrated" Amar'e. I don't think Carmelo is going to be as involved on defense as he was last night against other teams, I hope I'm wrong though.
Man, you're hating on Melo. First you were "disappointed" that he couldn't sustain his 1q performance for the whole game last night (something completely ridiculous to even be disappointed about, as pretty much no player besides Michael Jordan could have sustained that type of quarter for all 4). Now you're making assumptions about how he'll play defense (based on Melo's defensive performance under Mike "no defense" D'antoni and George "i can't control any of my players" Karl). I also love the fact that you are already taking Melo having a lot of bad games as a given... and with what proof? Not much besides your opinion.

One, know who the coach is buddy. Mike Woodson is a disciple of Bobby Knight and while that doesn't mean they are one and the same, they preach very very similar things. It's all about accountability and discipline under Knight's system. If you've learned anything from what Woodson has said, or the actions he's taken in games and in practice from midway last year, it's that he believes the same accountability principles. Melo is no different than any other player on this roster in terms of defensive responsibility, and if he thinks he's above it, WHICH THERE IS NO SIGN THAT HE DOES, he will undoubtedly sit longer than he wants to sit.

As for sustaining a 1st quarter like the one he had, was that a serious comment? What were you expecting Melo to continue shooting 4/5 behind the arc every quarter and continue to dominate, especially when the Heat made the change to put Lebron on Melo instead of Battier? If so, then you will be disappointed a lot this season with how not only Melo plays but any other player for that matter as well.

As for the "overrated" Amare. People really need to chill about him. The criticism on him last year was warranted. But no one ever mentions that his brother died tragically at the beginning of last season and the effect that must of had on him for the duration of the season. Or the fact that the lockout affected his conditioning and preparation for the season. I think its very unfortunate he had an injury right now because I really did expect a strong rebound season for him, still do if he can get back into shape after this injury.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Kershaw

Carmelo played well last night, but he still had some shakehead worthy moments. When he turns it over, I don't see him hustling down the court to get back on defense.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:15 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Man, you're hating on Melo. First you were "disappointed" that he couldn't sustain his 1q performance for the whole game last night (something completely ridiculous to even be disappointed about, as pretty much no player besides Michael Jordan could have sustained that type of quarter for all 4). Now you're making assumptions about how he'll play defense (based on Melo's defensive performance under Mike "no defense" D'antoni and George "i can't control any of my players" Karl). I also love the fact that you are already taking Melo having a lot of bad games as a given... and with what proof? Not much besides your opinion.

One, know who the coach is buddy. Mike Woodson is a disciple of Bobby Knight and while that doesn't mean they are one and the same, they preach very very similar things. It's all about accountability and discipline under Knight's system. If you've learned anything from what Woodson has said, or the actions he's taken in games and in practice from midway last year, it's that he believes the same accountability principles. Melo is no different than any other player on this roster in terms of defensive responsibility, and if he thinks he's above it, WHICH THERE IS NO SIGN THAT HE DOES, he will undoubtedly sit longer than he wants to sit.

As for sustaining a 1st quarter like the one he had, was that a serious comment? What were you expecting Melo to continue shooting 4/5 behind the arc every quarter and continue to dominate, especially when the Heat made the change to put Lebron on Melo instead of Battier? If so, then you will be disappointed a lot this season with how not only Melo plays but any other player for that matter as well.

As for the "overrated" Amare. People really need to chill about him. The criticism on him last year was warranted. But no one ever mentions that his brother died tragically at the beginning of last season and the effect that must of had on him for the duration of the season. Or the fact that the lockout affected his conditioning and preparation for the season. I think its very unfortunate he had an injury right now because I really did expect a strong rebound season for him, still do if he can get back into shape after this injury.
I was expecting Melo not to start shooting his behind-the-arc with no follow through shots, which he reverted to after the 1st quarter. Besides the 1st quarter he had a bad offensive game, but his great 1st quarter negates that. Nobody expected him to put up 16 points on good shooting in each quarter...I didn't expect him to follow up an awesome quarter by becoming a chuck.

Yes, I do hate on Melo, because in the past year and a half he's been on my team he's been bad except for a stretch of 16 games. It's gonna take more than one good quarter for me to not be critical of him.

As for the defense, just look at Melo's CAREER up to this point. THAT'S the proof I need. It's one thing to wake up and defend against the Miami Heat, let's see him play hard against the Cavaliers of the world.

I'm happy we won, but besides the 1st quarter I still am perfectly justified in worrying about how far our franchise player (besides Tyson) can carry us.

That being said, i'm glad it looks like Woodson has the respect of the team.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 11-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
30theking

barclays center looks really nice. i like the pattern of the wooden floor.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:02 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Great game. Arena is fantastic and the team and the crowd already have a great connection.

Brooklyn Nets 1-0.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:04 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Great game. Arena is fantastic and the team and the crowd already have a great connection.

Brooklyn Nets 1-0.
Yup, good crowd tonight even though it didn't look like a sell out based on some areas in the lower bowl. Arena is nice but it is small and the concourses IMO are very tight especially in the upper deck corners and end zones. Still don't know how they're going to put a hockey rink in there but we shall see.

Last edited by NYRFAN218: 11-03-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 09:08 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Feeling good about the game today. Hope to get off to a 2-0 start!

Old
11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Love the defense and the great passing.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

These aren't your father's Knicks. Which is interesting, because they ARE your father's Knicks

Old
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

^ These aren't your no D Antoni Knicks.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
^ These aren't your no D Antoni Knicks.
Thank god. Melo has been playing some inspired ball these first few games.

Another solid game by the Knicks. You see us struggle when we become stagnate and run iso plays. Keep the ball moving and look for open looks.

And I am suprised the fans are all about Sheed early on in the season, where is the Camby love?

Old
11-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Kershaw

Defense looks great and this is without Camby.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:19 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Thank god. Melo has been playing some inspired ball these first few games.

Another solid game by the Knicks. You see us struggle when we become stagnate and run iso plays. Keep the ball moving and look for open looks.

And I am suprised the fans are all about Sheed early on in the season, where is the Camby love?
Seriously, I want me some Camby.

Another nice win. Make it 3 tomorrow night!

Kidd's been impressive, JR Smith was hot tonight.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Seriously, I want me some Camby.

Another nice win. Make it 3 tomorrow night!

Kidd's been impressive, JR Smith was hot tonight.
3rd win tomorrow would be great.

Love how we roll Felton and Kidd early, the movement that they create is beautiful. JR was money tonight, not trying to do to much which is good.

I am most impressed by Melo's play in his own end. Was hoping he wouldn't let down today after the big matchup with Heat to open the season, and he didn't. Showing great play on both ends of the court.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:27 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

They'll get even better when Camby and Shumpert get back.

I love Kidd's savvy. His bball IQ is off the charts. I thought he would have really helped Lin. Too bad Lin pissed Dolan off.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Muh
Beadle

When is Shumpert's target date for a return?

Having him/Brewer come of the bench gives us much better depth.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:33 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
When is Shumpert's target date for a return?

Having him/Brewer come of the bench gives us much better depth.
I'm not sure. I keep hearing mix dates. Some say Dec some say Jan.

With Jrue Holiday going off, he would have helped to today.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Melrose Munch

this is great go knicks.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Blowing out two very good teams at home is fine. Blowing out two excellent defensive teams and scoring 100 in each game is what impressed me.

Knicks are now 20-6 under Woodson.

In only six of those games did an opponent reach 100. It really should be five since the Pacers hit exactly 100 in two quarters of garbage time.

Still, they're an old team. They have very good depth but I'd like to see them after the next 15 or so games. The schedule is murder coming up.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If Melo plays like he has so far this team can go places. Great game from him today. The team defense is astounding, even with a sick Tyson Chandler.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Muh
Beadle

First time Knicks are 2-0 since '99, that's pretty sad.

3-0 would be nice.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I don't think the Knicks are really going to be in trouble when Stoudemire gets back.

Well, maybe trouble is a bad word to use, but I actually believe that they'll be better with STAT back in the lineup. I think Kidd, Felton, and Prigioni have such high basketball IQs that he'll only help.

If 'Melo continues to play D as he has been, and with Chandler back there and guys like Thomas and Camby, it will be easier for STAT to buy-in to the whole concept.

I'm excited for his return.

Closed Thread