HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NBA Off-Season Thread: There's a new team in town

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2012, 12:46 PM
  #426
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,399
vCash: 500
Going to the Net game tonight, casual Knick fan though. Can't wait to see Barclays.

Ih8theislanders is offline  
Old
11-03-2012, 03:50 PM
  #427
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,464
vCash: 500
If the teams offense is worse with Amar'e, that's a coaching problem. It's the defense that would suffer. Let's see how many bad Melo games it takes before people are clamoring for the "overrated" Amar'e. I don't think Carmelo is going to be as involved on defense as he was last night against other teams, I hope I'm wrong though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
11-03-2012, 05:08 PM
  #428
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,859
vCash: 500
He played really good defense under Woodson last year too.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-03-2012, 06:05 PM
  #429
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,151
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If the teams offense is worse with Amar'e, that's a coaching problem. It's the defense that would suffer. Let's see how many bad Melo games it takes before people are clamoring for the "overrated" Amar'e. I don't think Carmelo is going to be as involved on defense as he was last night against other teams, I hope I'm wrong though.
Man, you're hating on Melo. First you were "disappointed" that he couldn't sustain his 1q performance for the whole game last night (something completely ridiculous to even be disappointed about, as pretty much no player besides Michael Jordan could have sustained that type of quarter for all 4). Now you're making assumptions about how he'll play defense (based on Melo's defensive performance under Mike "no defense" D'antoni and George "i can't control any of my players" Karl). I also love the fact that you are already taking Melo having a lot of bad games as a given... and with what proof? Not much besides your opinion.

One, know who the coach is buddy. Mike Woodson is a disciple of Bobby Knight and while that doesn't mean they are one and the same, they preach very very similar things. It's all about accountability and discipline under Knight's system. If you've learned anything from what Woodson has said, or the actions he's taken in games and in practice from midway last year, it's that he believes the same accountability principles. Melo is no different than any other player on this roster in terms of defensive responsibility, and if he thinks he's above it, WHICH THERE IS NO SIGN THAT HE DOES, he will undoubtedly sit longer than he wants to sit.

As for sustaining a 1st quarter like the one he had, was that a serious comment? What were you expecting Melo to continue shooting 4/5 behind the arc every quarter and continue to dominate, especially when the Heat made the change to put Lebron on Melo instead of Battier? If so, then you will be disappointed a lot this season with how not only Melo plays but any other player for that matter as well.

As for the "overrated" Amare. People really need to chill about him. The criticism on him last year was warranted. But no one ever mentions that his brother died tragically at the beginning of last season and the effect that must of had on him for the duration of the season. Or the fact that the lockout affected his conditioning and preparation for the season. I think its very unfortunate he had an injury right now because I really did expect a strong rebound season for him, still do if he can get back into shape after this injury.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
11-03-2012, 06:41 PM
  #430
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Carmelo played well last night, but he still had some shakehead worthy moments. When he turns it over, I don't see him hustling down the court to get back on defense.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
11-03-2012, 07:15 PM
  #431
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Man, you're hating on Melo. First you were "disappointed" that he couldn't sustain his 1q performance for the whole game last night (something completely ridiculous to even be disappointed about, as pretty much no player besides Michael Jordan could have sustained that type of quarter for all 4). Now you're making assumptions about how he'll play defense (based on Melo's defensive performance under Mike "no defense" D'antoni and George "i can't control any of my players" Karl). I also love the fact that you are already taking Melo having a lot of bad games as a given... and with what proof? Not much besides your opinion.

One, know who the coach is buddy. Mike Woodson is a disciple of Bobby Knight and while that doesn't mean they are one and the same, they preach very very similar things. It's all about accountability and discipline under Knight's system. If you've learned anything from what Woodson has said, or the actions he's taken in games and in practice from midway last year, it's that he believes the same accountability principles. Melo is no different than any other player on this roster in terms of defensive responsibility, and if he thinks he's above it, WHICH THERE IS NO SIGN THAT HE DOES, he will undoubtedly sit longer than he wants to sit.

As for sustaining a 1st quarter like the one he had, was that a serious comment? What were you expecting Melo to continue shooting 4/5 behind the arc every quarter and continue to dominate, especially when the Heat made the change to put Lebron on Melo instead of Battier? If so, then you will be disappointed a lot this season with how not only Melo plays but any other player for that matter as well.

As for the "overrated" Amare. People really need to chill about him. The criticism on him last year was warranted. But no one ever mentions that his brother died tragically at the beginning of last season and the effect that must of had on him for the duration of the season. Or the fact that the lockout affected his conditioning and preparation for the season. I think its very unfortunate he had an injury right now because I really did expect a strong rebound season for him, still do if he can get back into shape after this injury.
I was expecting Melo not to start shooting his behind-the-arc with no follow through shots, which he reverted to after the 1st quarter. Besides the 1st quarter he had a bad offensive game, but his great 1st quarter negates that. Nobody expected him to put up 16 points on good shooting in each quarter...I didn't expect him to follow up an awesome quarter by becoming a chuck.

Yes, I do hate on Melo, because in the past year and a half he's been on my team he's been bad except for a stretch of 16 games. It's gonna take more than one good quarter for me to not be critical of him.

As for the defense, just look at Melo's CAREER up to this point. THAT'S the proof I need. It's one thing to wake up and defend against the Miami Heat, let's see him play hard against the Cavaliers of the world.

I'm happy we won, but besides the 1st quarter I still am perfectly justified in worrying about how far our franchise player (besides Tyson) can carry us.

That being said, i'm glad it looks like Woodson has the respect of the team.


Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 11-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.
BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
  #432
30theking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
barclays center looks really nice. i like the pattern of the wooden floor.

30theking is offline  
Old
11-03-2012, 10:02 PM
  #433
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,056
vCash: 500
Great game. Arena is fantastic and the team and the crowd already have a great connection.

Brooklyn Nets 1-0.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
11-03-2012, 11:04 PM
  #434
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Great game. Arena is fantastic and the team and the crowd already have a great connection.

Brooklyn Nets 1-0.
Yup, good crowd tonight even though it didn't look like a sell out based on some areas in the lower bowl. Arena is nice but it is small and the concourses IMO are very tight especially in the upper deck corners and end zones. Still don't know how they're going to put a hockey rink in there but we shall see.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610

Last edited by NYRFAN218: 11-03-2012 at 11:21 PM.
NYRFAN218 is online now  
Old
11-04-2012, 09:08 AM
  #435
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
Feeling good about the game today. Hope to get off to a 2-0 start!

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
  #436
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,859
vCash: 500
Love the defense and the great passing.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
  #437
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
These aren't your father's Knicks. Which is interesting, because they ARE your father's Knicks

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
  #438
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,859
vCash: 500
^ These aren't your no D Antoni Knicks.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 01:11 PM
  #439
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
^ These aren't your no D Antoni Knicks.
Thank god. Melo has been playing some inspired ball these first few games.

Another solid game by the Knicks. You see us struggle when we become stagnate and run iso plays. Keep the ball moving and look for open looks.

And I am suprised the fans are all about Sheed early on in the season, where is the Camby love?

Muh is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 01:14 PM
  #440
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Defense looks great and this is without Camby.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 01:19 PM
  #441
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Thank god. Melo has been playing some inspired ball these first few games.

Another solid game by the Knicks. You see us struggle when we become stagnate and run iso plays. Keep the ball moving and look for open looks.

And I am suprised the fans are all about Sheed early on in the season, where is the Camby love?
Seriously, I want me some Camby.

Another nice win. Make it 3 tomorrow night!

Kidd's been impressive, JR Smith was hot tonight.

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 01:22 PM
  #442
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Seriously, I want me some Camby.

Another nice win. Make it 3 tomorrow night!

Kidd's been impressive, JR Smith was hot tonight.
3rd win tomorrow would be great.

Love how we roll Felton and Kidd early, the movement that they create is beautiful. JR was money tonight, not trying to do to much which is good.

I am most impressed by Melo's play in his own end. Was hoping he wouldn't let down today after the big matchup with Heat to open the season, and he didn't. Showing great play on both ends of the court.

Muh is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 01:27 PM
  #443
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,859
vCash: 500
They'll get even better when Camby and Shumpert get back.

I love Kidd's savvy. His bball IQ is off the charts. I thought he would have really helped Lin. Too bad Lin pissed Dolan off.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
  #444
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
When is Shumpert's target date for a return?

Having him/Brewer come of the bench gives us much better depth.

Muh is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 01:33 PM
  #445
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
When is Shumpert's target date for a return?

Having him/Brewer come of the bench gives us much better depth.
I'm not sure. I keep hearing mix dates. Some say Dec some say Jan.

With Jrue Holiday going off, he would have helped to today.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 04:56 PM
  #446
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
this is great go knicks.

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
  #447
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,838
vCash: 500
Blowing out two very good teams at home is fine. Blowing out two excellent defensive teams and scoring 100 in each game is what impressed me.

Knicks are now 20-6 under Woodson.

In only six of those games did an opponent reach 100. It really should be five since the Pacers hit exactly 100 in two quarters of garbage time.

Still, they're an old team. They have very good depth but I'd like to see them after the next 15 or so games. The schedule is murder coming up.

GWOW is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 07:34 PM
  #448
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,464
vCash: 500
If Melo plays like he has so far this team can go places. Great game from him today. The team defense is astounding, even with a sick Tyson Chandler.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 06:28 PM
  #449
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 50
First time Knicks are 2-0 since '99, that's pretty sad.

3-0 would be nice.

Muh is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
  #450
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
I don't think the Knicks are really going to be in trouble when Stoudemire gets back.

Well, maybe trouble is a bad word to use, but I actually believe that they'll be better with STAT back in the lineup. I think Kidd, Felton, and Prigioni have such high basketball IQs that he'll only help.

If 'Melo continues to play D as he has been, and with Chandler back there and guys like Thomas and Camby, it will be easier for STAT to buy-in to the whole concept.

I'm excited for his return.

silverfish is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.