HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 06:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I am taking Awesome Feather. What a loaded race this is. Two undefeated horses, and neither are the favorite. Can really make a case for all 8 horses. 5 over 2, 6. I think I'd pick 2 or 3 of these horses to win the Classic.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Royal Delta for Horse of the Year

Old
11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
I think these two days of racing are my favorite all year.

As a side effect, I get absolutely nothing done unfortunately.

Royal Delta is one hell of a filly.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Zero wins for the Breeders Cup races, but hit the final race on the card with Grandeur. Came close with a 2158 Superfecta, had Execpriv on top but it finished 1258; she ran a decent race after all, not stellar enough, however, to beat Gomez. One of four second places. Super Ninety Nine was an early scratch, that changed things a bit, too.

Also, not sure if the Juvy Turf will be on NBC Sports since it is scheduled for 2:50 p.m. ET and the NBC Sports broadcast is slated to start at 3:30 p.m. ET. One release said all Cup races would be aired by NBC or NBC Sports.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-02-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 02:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

2 for 2 so far. Had George Vancouver in the Juvenile Turf, and Groupie Doll of course.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Jim Rome is on the board, and with more hair that I thought he had.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Shaghai Bobby showing the heart and the talent in winning the BC Juvenile. Just some more maturing to do, and as long as he stays healthy, he'll be one of the ones in Louisville. I have faith in 2 of the 3 parts of this equation.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ I thought War Pass would follow in Street Sense's foot steps winning this race then Louisville . Add Unbridled's Song and Uncle Mo to that list. Stuff happens.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'm out for the rest of the card. I'm not on any of the favorites coming in. Trailblazer here, Moonlight Cloud in the Mile, Ron the Greek in the Classic. Turbo Compressor should not be 42/1, if I was at the track I'd be on that.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Interesting comment by Johnny V. in that he thought Animal Kingdom was the horse to beat.

Wise Dan could be Horse of the Year.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-03-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

Would love to see Game on Dude win the Classic.

A lot of heartache, no pun intended, this year for Bob.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

Wow. Fort Larned.

Wow.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I thought Fort Larned could have won, was someone who I considered picking, just didn't. Field was wide open and it played out that way. Where was Game On Dude? I bet they were wishing Chantal was around.

I love stretch drives where it looks like they're the only 2 horses on the same track.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Seems that Baffert conducted all his interviews while seated, at least those I saw. He looked a bit frail. Hopefully, his health isn't weakening.

Game On had a tough start and only moderately recovered but not enough to provide anything remotely formidable.

And a nice mention of Unbridled and Nafzger by Hammonds (I think).

Old
11-03-2012, 09:41 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 828
Had some stuff to do so put the DVR on for the races not realizing they switched over from nbcsports for the big race....sigh

Old
11-04-2012, 09:34 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kducks View Post
Had some stuff to do so put the DVR on for the races not realizing they switched over from nbcsports for the big race....sigh
The first two races on the card weren't shown on NBC Sports either, the second likely because a college football game went into OT. The initial segment of the NBC broadcast included typical clouded nonsense such as a reporter (someone with whom I am unfamiliar) who said it was her first time at a track and she picked Alpha because "the horse looked at me..." Alpha finished last.

------------------------------------

Quote:
Breeders' Cup reported that a total of nearly $144.3 million was wagered on the two-day World Championships Nov. 2-3 at Santa Anita Park, down from the $161.5 million figure a year ago when the event was hosted by Churchill Downs.

Also, the two-day attendance of 89,742 represented a decline from the 105,820 on hand at Churchill in 2011.

Wagering on the 12-race Nov. 3 card was $96,685,567, compared with 2011 handle of $105,472,442 for the second day of the World Championships.

On-track handle for the two days at Santa Anita was $20,680,143, up slightly over the $19,208,111 total for the 2009 event at Santa Anita, the last time the Championships were held at at Southern California racetrack.
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz2BGy2mXMV

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-04-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Was that Michelle Beadle? At least she's a sports person, even though she's doing Entertainment Tonight on NBC now. Hopefully at the Kentucky Derby, she's not interviewing people with hats or wearing an apron.

Fort Larned, Mucho Macho Man both running careers bests yesterday. Kathy Ritvo and Ian Wilkes aren't trainers you hear anything about, but they had their best horses ready to run in the richest race.

RT @DRFPrivman: 117 Beyer Speed Figure for Fort Larned. Believe it. He and Mucho Macho Man freaked. Ran fast over the surface, well clear of the rest. #bc12

There's a rumor Shanghai Bobby bled during the race, which may explain the slow time, which was the slowest in the history of the race.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Was that Michelle Beadle? At least she's a sports person, even though she's doing Entertainment Tonight on NBC now. Hopefully at the Kentucky Derby, she's not interviewing people with hats or wearing an apron.

Fort Larned, Mucho Macho Man both running careers bests yesterday. Kathy Ritvo and Ian Wilkes aren't trainers you hear anything about, but they had their best horses ready to run in the richest race.

RT @DRFPrivman: 117 Beyer Speed Figure for Fort Larned. Believe it. He and Mucho Macho Man freaked. Ran fast over the surface, well clear of the rest. #bc12

There's a rumor Shanghai Bobby bled during the race, which may explain the slow time, which was the slowest in the history of the race.
I just caught the first name "Michelle." The concept to entertain in such a manner is farcical for an hour (much less when you extract the actual race and post-race analysis) broadcast of the Breeders' Cup. But Entertainment Tonight I assume is part of some NBC family of TV? If so, self-promotion would explain that presence -- and her interview with an actress earlier. The Kentucky Derby is a carnival atmosphere and the broadcast lends it self to sideshow antics with discussion of hats and mint juleps and though I agree with you, it has become part of the recreation angle and packaging.

Mucho Macho Man was very impressive in defeat.

Overnight ratings: http://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR

Quote:
Primetime Breeders' Cup Classic in 1st year back on NBC got 2.2 overnight. Overnight is up 83% vs Classic in 2011 not on NBC (1.2).

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Entertainment Tonight/Access Hollywood....whatever NBC's gossip show is, which was a disappointment because people were disappointed she wasn't getting sports assignments having come from ESPN (and working with Colin Cowherd, so she might still have his stench). I didn't see her in the open, but when they brought her back, I wasn't really bothered.

NBC should push he Kentucky Derby into Prime Time next year. Been waiting for it for a few years.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Valrico Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

Mucho Macho Man was very impressive in defeat.
He certainly was.

Seriously now.
I just reviewed the races again. One fact was firmly established.
That main track was souped up big time.
I don't care how many times they called it 'little sandy', some of those fractions were quite astonishing.
You would never see a horse doing a '22', going 1 1/4 miles, and lasting to the finish on any track east of the Mississippi.

They certainly have the advantage with not having to worry about a soft turf, but that main track was ridiculous.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Some interesting remarks here. Looks as if there was discussion to make Santa Anita the permanent home of the race. Baffert said he didn't think there was much to the "home advantage" and if anything he was proven correct this year.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/o...13&format=text

Quote:
Nevertheless, the 2012 Breeders’ Cup was a rousing success for a variety of reasons, including the picture-perfect weather at the most picturesque racing venue in the country. Although the movement to make Santa Anita the permanent home of the World Championships has apparently been derailed, there is no other racetrack that would be worthy of claiming the Breeders’ Cup for its own.

Santa Anita put on a spectacular show while providing track conditions that resulted in victories by horses from the East Coast, West Coast, Europe and even Argentina. In fact, six horses that had last raced in New York were victorious, while only two Southern California-based horses cashed in on a home-track advantage. While Easterners historically had been at a disadvantage, they were allowed to demonstrate their clear superiority over their cross-country rivals on a fair surface.

Santa Anita-based trainer Bob Baffert may not be quite as enthusiastic about the fair track after being blanked with 10 starters. But in the end, his horses weren’t good enough.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Dammit! Australia, get on my level, and don't run the Melbourne Cup until Wednesday

Old
11-12-2012, 06:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://www.drf.com/news/delta-downs-...s-jackpot-roll

Quote:
Delta Downs: Itsmyluckyday comes into Jackpot on a roll
Quote:
The Princess field will have a strong Florida flair with the presence of Calder stakes winners Salamera and Rose to Gold. Salamera enters off a fifth-place finish in the Grade 1 Chandelier at Santa Anita and is to be ridden by regular rider Angel Castillo, said her trainer, Rodolfo Garcia. Paco Lopez will have the mount on Rose to Gold, said her trainer, Sal Santoro.

Danalake, a stakes winner at Delaware Park, will start in the Princess, said Pletcher. He said she is scheduled to be ridden by Rajiv Maragh. Danalake flies in from Kentucky on Wednesday.

Madame Cactus, winner of the local prep, the $150,000 My Trusty Cat, is also expected for the Princess.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quote:
Delta Downs Jackpot, $1 million, 1 1/16 miles

PP/Horse/Trainer/Jockey
1—Bern Identity/Kelly Breen/P. Lopez

2—Heaven’s Runway/Bernard Chatters/C.L. Marquez

3—Central Banker/A. Stall/M. Mena

4—Mylute/Tom Amoss/G. Melancon

5—Hightail/D. Wayne Lukas/R. Maragh

6—Itsmyluckyday/Ed Plesa Jr./A. Serpa

7—Know More/Doug O’Neill/M. Gutierrez

8—Show Some Magic/Steve Asmussen/R.A. Eramia

9—Goldencents/Doug O’Neill/K. Krigger
Source: Bloodhorse

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-15-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 10:01 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
JOCKEY Frankie Dettori has failed a drugs test for a banned substance — believed to be cocaine.
The three-times champ, 41, faces an inquiry after the shock at Longchamp, France.

Dettori — dubbed “the housewives’ favourite” because of his good looks — could face a worldwide horse-racing ban if he is found guilty.

The test happened on September 16 when the major trials for Europe’s richest race, the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, were being held at Longchamp in France.

Dettori — tested at random and famed for his spectacular “flying dismount” after races — will be hauled before the notoriously strict French racing authorities next week.

If the hearing goes against him, the Italian could face a global ban of up to six months.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz2CDHzNZ8m

Old
11-14-2012, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Wow. That would be awful

Closed Thread