HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs [10-15-3] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
EveryDay

vCash: 500
No info on any US player today?

Old
11-03-2012, 08:53 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
I feel like Blake Geoffrion should be nicknamed "Bust Bust"
Only if you spell it "But But" like tonight,started the comeback and finished it + 1st*

Old
11-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Just finished watching the game, Bulldogs played a horrible 2nd period but made up for that with an amazing comeback in the 3rd. The lack of experience of the team really showed tonight, lots of indiscipline. The first goal and the third goal were on the defense, St. Denis and Beaulieu had a rough night tonight, they lost most of their battles in front and behind the net. I recall a sequence in the first period on the Penalty Kill where they left a guy open for a pass at the side boards twice on the same shift but they didn't capitalize, just a perfect example that they're still in a learning process. The Bulldogs weren't doing much in the first 40 minutes of the game offensively, they weren't doing creative plays and they were taking shots from the perimeter.

Tinordi played great, he made some smart plays on the PK, I recall a play where he looked like Hal Gill out there killing off a 5 on 3. Ellis was solid and won some important battles near the end of the game. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but Stortini had a really good game for a goon, he crashed the net whenever he could and intimidated the opposition. Bournival was the Bulldogs best player tonight IMO if you take the whole game. He never gave up and hustled his heart out. Gallagher was amazing in the third period, he scored an important goal and made a nice pass on Blunden's goal. Talking about Blunden, he was awful tonight, he kept turning over the puck every time he'd get it. Holland is a nice talent but he needs to work on his shot before he can reach the NHL, he's good at entering the zone and he has some nice dangles and he made a nice play on Gallagher's goal.

So yeah the Bulldogs are lucky that Knapp decided to take a nap in the third.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:02 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

That First Rochester goal was painful to watch.All 4 players on the puck and a wide open Rochester player infront of the net. No chance for mayer

Old
11-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Bullsmith

Bournival is such an easy to like player. Shades of Steve Begin's heart, not that he's a similar player. If he can stay healthy I really love what he brings to the table. He could be a really valuable, versatile 3-4th line player in the not too distant future.

I hope the dogs can stay competitive. They're just so young, and so lacking in impact AHL career vets, it's going to be a battle every night to get points.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:16 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Besides the facts that the Bulldogs are one of the youngest teams in the league and the added competition due to the lockout in the AHL, the most satisfying factor in the Bulldogs' decent play thus far is the 2012 draft; especially Galchenyuk.

The Dogs' good start (individually as well as a team) just seems like a bonus now. There won't be any added pressure of Leblanc or Gallagher being saviours of this franchise. They'll more comfortably be able to progress as the mid-level(high mid-level) prospects they are.

Galch will undoubtedly have a more assured roster spot on the 13-14 Habs then any Dogs forward as far as I see it. It also means we won't have to rush anybody either.

Add to this 4 picks in the top 2 rounds in the '13 draft and the fact that the Habs' roster as is isn't bad it all, I think we're in a very very good spot right now.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Fozz

I really liked what I saw from Tinordi and Holland last night. You can see that Tinordi is already getting acclimated to the pro game and, while being so tough to play against in the d-zone, he's gaining confidence with the puck and made a few daring plays in the o-zone.

Holland is so fluid and rushes the puck easily while always being in great position when the opponent has the puck. He's a natural.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Holland really is good. He needs to put on some weight though, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some time in the NHL next season (2013-2014)

Old
11-04-2012, 08:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I watched most of the game, was flipping back and forth between the North Dakota game and the Dogs. Impressive 3rd period as the Dogs continue to show they are going to be a hard working team. The PK is looking great and going into the game the PP was ranked near the bottom of the league.

Liked what I saw from Gallagher and Tinordi, some of the vets stepped up as well Geoffrion, Dumont, Stortini mostly. Good to see Beaulieu finally get a point, it was bound to happen soon since he's getting a lot of chances and likes to jump into the play. Not sure I like Berger on the PK though since he doesn't move that well.

Guess Stejskal will get recalled since Pateryn will likely be out a little while.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:45 AM
katatoniak

Dont know if it's just because he is easily recognizable on the ice. But I see Stortini way too much on the ice for what he brings. I saw him trying to forecheck yesterday. By the time he was inside the Rochester's zone the puck was already going back the other way.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:09 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I watched most of the game, was flipping back and forth between the North Dakota game and the Dogs. Impressive 3rd period as the Dogs continue to show they are going to be a hard working team. The PK is looking great and going into the game the PP was ranked near the bottom of the league.

Liked what I saw from Gallagher and Tinordi, some of the vets stepped up as well Geoffrion, Dumont, Stortini mostly. Good to see Beaulieu finally get a point, it was bound to happen soon since he's getting a lot of chances and likes to jump into the play. Not sure I like Berger on the PK though since he doesn't move that well.

Guess Stejskal will get recalled since Pateryn will likely be out a little while.
At some point Palushaj was also on the PK...does't make any sense to me. They have so many good forward they can play on this situation with Dumont-Bournival-Blunden-Boyce-Nattinen-Geoffrion.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Dont know if it's just because he is easily recognizable on the ice. But I see Stortini way too much on the ice for what he brings. I saw him trying to forecheck yesterday. By the time he was inside the Rochester's zone the puck was already going back the other way.
Well that was Stortini best game this season, you won't see anything better then that, hw won his fight and also add a break-away and was yapping all night long.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:06 PM
pcamp

Love how gallagher gained confidence with his first goal, 5 points in the last four games.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Danadiens

Soooo, is Avtsin not going to play a game all year?

Old
11-04-2012, 02:05 PM
That

Just finished watching last nights game.

I've really changed my opinion on Beaulieu over the last three games. He looks very good defensively, has an active stick and does a good job along the boards. Offensively, it was nice to see him pick up his first pro point. He has some great offensive plays last night and was very calm and poised with the puck. He's been really good and has been my biggest surprise. His defensive game is unrecognisable to last year. Wow.

Jarred Tinordi was great last night, too. He made an incredible pass to St-Denis to set up the first Bulldogs goal. He's really shown some great offensive awareness and his skating looks very good. Defensively he was awesome. He looked great on the PK. Very reminiscent of Hal Gill.

Holland - Bournival - Gallagher was again awesome. They drive the net extremely hard and all play with a ton of heart. Holland has incredible hands. I've seen him do this move where he stops pushes the puck forward in front of the defender, and then pulls it back and passes it off. It seems to work most of the time as he always gets the defender going the other way. When he gets stronger he's going to be one hell of a player with his hands and vision. Gallagher seems to be picking up confidence. He had a nice goal of a wrist shot. He's still shooting from all over the place, but he's waiting for more space and passes the puck more.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Andy

I think Gallagher will end up being an nhler, but I don't know how long of a career he'll have. He's way too reckless. It's what I love about him, but I wonder how long he can play that in your face style for. He's essentially the hockey version of a kamikazee.

Holland imo is an nhler. No doubt in my mind that he'd be just fine in a third line role with Eller in the nhl right now. The question is whether or not he's gonna end up a top 6 forward. He has EXCELLENT vision and hockey IQ. I can't stress that enough. He sees the play develop before it happens. He's offensive vision is great at the ahl level right now, but people really under-estimate his defensive awareness. If that 2nd we get turns into an excellent player, then we could really make out like bandits from the Cammalleri deal. One could even argue that the cap space saved on Cammalleri allowed us to sign Prust this off-season.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:31 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think Gallagher will end up being an nhler, but I don't know how long of a career he'll have. He's way too reckless. It's what I love about him, but I wonder how long he can play that in your face style for. He's essentially the hockey version of a kamikazee.
He will be alright in the NHL with the right teamates.
Not worried at all myself............just so happy we got him!!!!

Old
11-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Et le But

Pronman just said he now thinks Holland has more upside than he originally thought.

Quote:
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Yes, lot more upside than I thought. RT @Josh_Ireland: @coreypronman Patrick holland surprising you with his play in the AHL so far?

Old
11-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Andy

I think he might be right. Holland has made a seemless transition so far and is one the dogs' best players night in and night out.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:37 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

The cammy deal reminds me of the Rivet deal. Long Term the dea could work out very nice for us with the way Holland is playing and if the 2nd turns into something good.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:07 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Gallagher played well, Holland's vision and offensive awarness is spectacular, Bournival is such a smooth skater, St.Denis is solid, Beaulieu is all over creating plays, Tinordi is getting much better game-by-game, Mayer played pretty darn good, Geoffrion is starting to finish, Palushaj was alright, Blunden was...Blunden, Boyce was meh, Dumont is good, really liking his hockey sense, Corbin was a little out of place at times, Nash was decent, Ellis was pretty solid, Berger is extremely slow seems like he and Stortini have cement in their skates, Quailer looks good, Nattinen needs to play with people that can skate.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:09 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
Soooo, is Avtsin not going to play a game all year?
He better play, i'd rather have him in than Berger.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Top Corner2

Gallagher = CATALYST

this guy makes things happen...reminds me of another undersized guy...Doug Gilmore

Old
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
He better play, i'd rather have him in than Berger.
I actually was liking Bergers game....he is getting better at least....Avstyn will get his chance at some point

Old
11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Et le But

I saw promise in Berger, he should probably be in the ECHL but with Wheeling packed it can't hurt giving him a chance. I have more faith in him than Avtsin right now, as sad as that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
Gallagher = CATALYST

this guy makes things happen...reminds me of another undersized guy...Doug Gilmore
Gallagher is getting better every game but the catalyst of that line is Holland IMO.

Speaking of Holland, another feature on him from a Hamilton paper. Comes from a family of doctors, planned on being a scientist until he accidentally realized how good he was at hockey.

http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldo...-better-things

Last edited by Et le But: 11-04-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
The cammy deal reminds me of the Rivet deal. Long Term the dea could work out very nice for us with the way Holland is playing and if the 2nd turns into something good.
I would like to hear from Timmins about that deal and if they specifically targeted Holland. Looking like a real gem.

Closed Thread