Notices

Backlund v/s Horak

Old
11-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Backlund v/s Horak

My question is simple, should we move Backlund and promote Horak once the season starts?

Obviously Horak is off to a hot start, and like last season I expect his production to fall at some point. Hopefully though, Horak can sustain more consistent offensive production as he is more mature this season.

I was saying this offseason, that Backlund better watch his back because I felt that Horak is right there to potentially steal his spot. Backlund has never put up crazy numbers at any level, and statistically a case could be made that Horak has put up better numbers in the early stages of their careers.

With Reinhart also in the picture, what would it take to move Backlund? Personally, I'd want a 1st round pick (which I think is unlikely) or an above average RW or defensive prospect with top 4 upside.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

vCash: 500
I think we should keep both of them and let them compete for their spot on the team. It would be stupid to throw Backlund under the bus and just give Horak his spot on the roster without any competition.

And Backlund is currently dominating in the league he is playing in with 13 points in 8 games, a league where Berglund only has 11 points in 13 games, Kopitar has 16 points in 14 games and Landeskog only has 7 points in 7 games. The guy deserves some credit.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:10 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
You do know that Horak has been successful so far in the AHL on the wing right? The reason that Horak and Sven have had so much chemistry is the fact that they have been able to focus on offense. Horak is proving he can be a very effective winger why would we force him back to center? Backlund is already a great 2-way centerman so why not keep both and play
Baerstchi - Backlund - Horak and maximize all their strengths?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:25 PM
MarkGio

Backlund's entire NHL career has been under Sutter, hence immediately Backlund had to play tight defensive hockey to earn an NHL role. He's then had to impress Sutter by not making defensive mistakes to keep his job. This has created a predictable, non-noticable Backlund.

However, Backlund has proven to very dependable while facing top 6 opposition. His corsi numbers were a reflection of that. I'm not sure Horak can pull that off.

I wonder what Backlund will look like under Hartley, because I remember when Backlund first came into the NHL, he had some young creativity. If given the pressure to score goals and make assists, I think Backlund is good enough to better his numbers.

Although Horak did well in his NHL stint too....

Tough call, because we wouldn't get that 1st back if we traded Backlund without him first putting up some offensive numbers

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:26 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
You do know that Horak has been successful so far in the AHL on the wing right? The reason that Horak and Sven have had so much chemistry is the fact that they have been able to focus on offense. Horak is proving he can be a very effective winger why would we force him back to center? Backlund is already a great 2-way centerman so why not keep both and play
Baerstchi - Backlund - Horak and maximize all their strengths?
Yeah but Horak was at centre in the NHL last year and did well. He wasn't the confident Horak we're seeing now, but he held his own.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:28 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yeah but Horak was at Centre in the NHL and did well. He wasn't the confident Horak we're seeing now, but he held his own.
He did well on defense but lacked offense so I am simply saying keep both and play them as a line if it clicks perfect if not try Horak at center and he can see what is better. Horak has been lights out because he can focus on offense without Sven and we know Backlund is a shutdown centerman so why not just maximize their strengths and make the best possible line?

Old
11-04-2012, 12:31 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
I think we should keep both of them and let them compete for their spot on the team. It would be stupid to throw Backlund under the bus and just give Horak his spot on the roster without any competition.

And Backlund is currently dominating in the league he is playing in with 13 points in 8 games, a league where Berglund only has 11 points in 13 games, Kopitar has 16 points in 14 games and Landeskog only has 7 points in 7 games. The guy deserves some credit.

Who's on Backlund's wing? A couple of nobodies?

Old
11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

Who's on Backlund's wing? A couple of nobodies?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...ame=&order=PPG

His team is http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...8&status=stats

Old
11-04-2012, 12:35 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
He did well on defense but lacked offense so I am simply saying keep both and play them as a line if it clicks perfect if not try Horak at center and he can see what is better. Horak has been lights out because he can focus on offense without Sven and we know Backlund is a shutdown centerman so why not just maximize their strengths and make the best possible line?
i'm not disagreeing with you. But if it came down to congestion at the centre position, or even at the forward position, you do what we did last year and trade your Morrison. Who would that be?

Old
11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
i'm not disagreeing with you. But if it came down to congestion at the centre position, or even at the forward position, you do what we did last year and trade your Morrison. Who would that be?
I don't do what we did last year I would start Horak in the AHL and move him to center. If we want him as a nhl center he needs to develop his offensive game at center not on the wing. I would wait at least another year before we trade either young player.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:41 PM
MarkGio

Brendan Mikklesson found a job during the lock-out? Really?

So he's playing on a team full of nobodies minus Berglund. But Berglund is a better two-way centre, so I wonder if Backlund is playing on the wing right now.

Last edited by MarkGio: 11-04-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 12:46 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I don't do what we did last year I would start Horak in the AHL and move him to center. If we want him as a nhl center he needs to develop his offensive game at center not on the wing. I would wait at least another year before we trade either young player.
Personally I'd move Stempniak for Horak. If Reinhart is all of a sudden in the picture too, you now have to consider moving Stajan or Cervenka, depending on who's worse.

I don't see a point in sending player's back to the AHL to develop if they're dominant already in that league. I see the AHL as training wheels on a bike. You don't need them once you've proven to ride without them.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:50 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Personally I'd move Stempniak for Horak. If Reinhart is all of a sudden in the picture too, you now have to consider moving Stajan or Cervenka, depending on who's worse.

I don't see a point in sending player's back to the AHL to develop if they're dominant already in that league. I see the AHL as training wheels on a bike. You don't need them once you've proven to ride without them.
I too would have let Stemp go and gone with Horak instead, I don't think about the Ahl the same way you do I think it would do alot for Horak to have success at center there as well, he needs to improve his faceoff numbers and playing offense at center is much different than on the wings and I think Troy Ward is the perfect coach to teach it to him perhaps that happens if this lockout stays all year if not I think I would leave Horak there a while longer.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

And after a 4 point game today Backlund has 19 points in 10 games. Elite prospects wasn't exactly up-to-date when I made my post.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Backlund

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:08 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
And after a 4 point game today Backlund has 19 points in 10 games. Elite prospects wasn't exactly up-to-date when I made my post.
It is a pretty weak league but its nice to see him killing it.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:11 PM
SaintMorose

I wouldn't give up on Backlund unfortunately he suffered a hand injury which can really derail a guys offense until it is 100%. He's relentless on the puck and when they are healthy has the hands to back up the effort.

and it's great seeing him put up points like that during the lockout hopefully it translates to more confidence at the NHL level I still think he could be solid in a top 6 role.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:12 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
I wouldn't trade either. We won't get what we want for Backlund so no point in trading him. He's still young and definately has the raw skills, hopefully he can stay healthy and gain some confidence from his play as of late. Give it time, whenever we have a young player show something, we're quick to push someone else out the door, gets annoying.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
I'd prefer to keep Backlund. I'd like to see what he can do under Hartley.

Backlund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:08 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Yes, trading Backlund would be foolish at this point, especially since Horak is thriving as a winger right now, not a centreman.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Noori

vCash: 755
I don't think it has to be a case of Backlund vs Horak. Horak has flourished at RW so why not put on him on Backlund's wing?

It'll be strange if there actually is a season this year.

You'll have a fixed first line of:
Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla

A possible second line of:
Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler/Stempniak

A possible third line of:
Baertschi - Backlund - Horak/Comeau

And then a mixmash fourth line:
Bouma/Jones/Jackman/Nemisz/Stajan

Still not sure why Comeau was signed and BOTH Hudler and Stempniak were signed to multiyear deals. Multiyear deals for guys like Jackman and Jones were slightly puzzling as well (and don't forget Comeau declined the multiyear offer he was given).

And also, does anyone else feel our lineup would get pushed around a lot?

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I don't think it has to be a case of Backlund vs Horak. Horak has flourished at RW so why not put on him on Backlund's wing?

It'll be strange if there actually is a season this year.

You'll have a fixed first line of:
Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla

A possible second line of:
Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler/Stempniak

A possible third line of:
Baertschi - Backlund - Horak/Comeau

And then a mixmash fourth line:
Bouma/Jones/Jackman/Nemisz/Stajan

Still not sure why Comeau was signed and BOTH Hudler and Stempniak were signed to multiyear deals. And also, does anyone else feel our lineup would get pushed around a lot?
The NW is getting faster and smaller with Granlund, RNH etc. We also have Iginla, Glencross, Comeau all on different lines and all physical.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Noori

vCash: 755
Quote:
The NW is getting faster and smaller with Granlund, RNH etc. We also have Iginla, Glencross, Comeau all on different lines and all physical.
Those teams have a few phenomenal small players and they are supplemented with bigger players. And I don't think it's a great idea to use Minnesota and Edmonton as models of a successful team either. Having Iginla, Glencross, and Comeau (who may or may not even play i our top 9) as the only physical players is a little concerning.

Teams that mix size and skill like Chicago, Boston, and L.A. are the teams that can stand the grind of the playoffs. Before we had size and not enough skill. Now it seems like there's plenty of skill, but not a lot of size.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I think its a stretch to call Backlund a 'great' 2-way center at this point, but regardless I know what you meant. I'm not saying let's ship Backlund out either, but if you look at available spots in our lineup someone needs to be the odd man out. I to would not of signed Stemps even though I like him, I don't think that move made any sense. My main point is, if season starts up and Horak is clearly out performing Backlund, I would be pissed if Horak was returned to the Heat due to a numbers game.

I mostly wanted to see what would acceptable value be for Backlund to our fanbase if that scenario plays out.

I think a Sven-Backlund-Horak line would be a great idea. However 1-2 trades would need to be made IMO to roll with that as a 3rd line.

Tangs Cammy Iggy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Sven Backlund Horak
Comeau Stajan Jackman/Stemps

That's also not even counting Jones. Then there's guys like Bouma, Nemisz and Aliu.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 11-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Those teams have a few phenomenal small players and they are supplemented with bigger players. And I don't think it's a great idea to use Minnesota and Edmonton as models of a successful team either. Having Iginla, Glencross, and Comeau (who may or may not even play i our top 9) as the only physical players is a little concerning.

Teams that mix size and skill like Chicago, Boston, and L.A. are the teams that can stand the grind of the playoffs. Before we had size and not enough skill. Now it seems like there's plenty of skill, but not a lot of size.
How is physical in Chicago? Also trying to repeat the build of others teams almost never works we have to build to our strengths and Feaster wants his strength to be skill not size.