HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Attendances Following a Work Stoppage

Old
11-04-2012, 07:49 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 500
I'll continue to watch on TV and follow the team, but there's no way I'm going to the games. Screw you, NHL.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
What team saw a decrease in ticket prices? Don't include Phoenix...they are no longer going to be in the NHL as per the NHLPA.
Avalanche ticket prices went up after the previous lockout... just like every other year. They keep going up, and attendance keeps going down. I don't think they understand there's a relationship going on between those two things yet.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:52 AM
CN_paladin

I'll keep watching it on TV like usual. Habs tickets are hard to come by and cost 4 times their face value from scalpers who piss me off more than Bettman and Fehr combined.

Nor do I buy merchandise every year haha.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
I'll keep watching it on TV like usual. Habs tickets are hard to come by and cost 4 times their face value from scalpers who piss me off more than Bettman and Fehr combined.

Nor do I buy merchandise every year haha.
I hear ya man, thankfully I'm too old to be wearing some kids hockey jersey. Would be nice to go to a game without having to plan it weeks in advance.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:03 AM
MsWoof

Fans are much angrier/apathetic this time around. Last time we were all upset and welcomed the league back with open arms, this time, not so much.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:03 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Fans are much angrier/apathetic this time around. Last time we were all upset and welcomed the league back with open arms, this time, not so much.
Exactly, but if they can save a season, the hurt wont be felt too badly, if they lose another entire season, they are asking for some serious trouble...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:32 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Yeah, I can't see attendance being a problem here in Canada or in the bigger hockey cities in the U.S. (Boston, Rangers, Minnesota, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and possibly Los Angeles. It's the other U.S. cities that may not have their fans come back in droves when this lockout ends.
From everything I've seen/read/heard it's the exact opposite.

The southern teams should be fine, as they have mostly hardcore fanbases. Small, but hardcore, as you have to be hardcore to be a hockey fan in the south.

It's the northern teams that have bigger casual fanbases, who are much less likely to return. Which might be a good thing for the hardcore fans. Maybe ticket prices will go down to a reasonable level.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:16 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post
sure in Canada(minus Ottawa) and NY,CHI,BOS, Philly, Pits & Minny they will be back however lets see how

COLUMBUS, DALLAS, TAMPA, FLORIDA and these kind of teams do
Well, they will just drop ticket prices on Stub Hub, or whomever else the individual clubs are working with to get fannies into the seats. They then report larger attendances, sell parking and food/drinks, and then hope for the playoffs. if they make it, they gouge everyone for the tickets and increase their season ticket base. In a couple years, they are whole again. Both Southern California teams did this. I actually purchased tickets from their ticket exchanges for $8.00. I paid $30 for 2 seats in a luxury box in the Staples Center.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Well, they will just drop ticket prices on Stub Hub, or whomever else the individual clubs are working with to get fannies into the seats. They then report larger attendances, sell parking and food/drinks, and then hope for the playoffs. if they make it, they gouge everyone for the tickets and increase their season ticket base. In a couple years, they are whole again. Both Southern California teams did this. I actually purchased tickets from their ticket exchanges for $8.00. I paid $30 for 2 seats in a luxury box in the Staples Center.
The cheapest ticket at the Bell Centre is like 60 bucks right below the ceiling...

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Crozbar

I'm pretty mad. I was really busy with school last year and missed out on more hockey than I would have liked. This year I am working, and I was planning to see more games live/watch more (close to all) of my team's games, buy merch, ect. If they come back, I'll be back. Eventually. But I plan to greatly scale back my plans for active ($$$) fan participation.

Granted a total boycott is beyond most of us, but we can give them less. See less games, buy less merch.. I already cannot fathom what the owners (for their part) expect to get out of a new agreement that will make all this worth while. Ditto for the players, depending on how long it goes.

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote