HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Lockout (is over!!!!!)

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2012, 12:00 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
A lot of cups going away in that scenario

Old
10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
In fantasy land I'd take it down to 20 teams. Even the Caps might get axed since they're not exactly perennial contenders.

Teams to keep:

1st Tier

Rangers
Bruins
Flyers
Leafs
Habs
Wings
Hawks
Sharks
Canucks
Avs
Sens

2nd Tier

Wild
Oilers
Flames
New Quebec team
Kings, I guess
Blues
Stars
Caps
Sabres

3rd Tier gets axed

Preds
Bolts
Panthers
Jackets
Yotes
Ducks
Canes
Jets
Isles
Pens!

Old
10-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

From Friedman's 30 thoughts:
Quote:
The commish has three groups of owners: the ones who want to play; the ones in the middle, including Tampa and Nashville, who want a better collective bargaining agreement but recognize not playing is worse; and the hardliners. It would be a mistake to underestimate the last group. There are several who would rather cancel the season than accept a bad deal because they are hemorrhaging money and need immediate satisfaction.

While the players believe Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is calling the shots, an educated guess at the final group includes but may not be limited to Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, Phoenix, St. Louis, Washington and Dallas -- enough to block any agreement from getting done (It's tough to lock it down because owners are forbidden to discuss this stuff. Attempts to talk to a couple were politely shot down).

This group is the biggest challenge for both the commissioner and the players.

But one year ago, Berger reported that the NBA's "Hard-Line Nine" -- Atlanta, Charlotte, Indiana, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Portland and Washington -- wanted much tougher concessions than Stern proposed. Three weeks later, there was a new CBA. If you believe this entire play is scripted, and some people really do, here's hoping no one changes the ending.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
Reminder: Caps owner Ted Leonsis, who wants the NHL shut down, once wrote a 10-point plan on how easy it is to build a successful franchise.

From Leonsis's 10-point plan: "Re-sign the best young players to long term high priced deals. Show the players you are very loyal to them."

Guess he left out: "Then use the CBA as your chance to claw back millions of dollars that you agreed to pay, or else shut the season down."

Old
10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I'm certain he's one of the guys who is pleading hard times. He has raised ticket prices each season, sold out the house, and he's still bleeding money. Fat Uncle Ted is a cheap skate.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm certain he's one of the guys who is pleading hard times. He has raised ticket prices each season, sold out the house, and he's still bleeding money. Fat Uncle Ted is a cheap skate.
Do we know that for a fact? Are the Caps losing money, and if so, how much?

Old
10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Looks like we're in good company...

Old
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
I'd personally love to see the books if there are really any sort of claims of "bleeding money".

Old
10-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Do we know that for a fact? Are the Caps losing money, and if so, how much?
Well, it's suggested by Friedman that he is. I wouldn't doubt it. I know the purchase of the Wizards was supposed to offset some of the cost, but I can't imagine he's making money. He's running at 60 or so + a season in salary alone. He wasn't making money at all when he ran it at 40-45, so I don't know how he's made that much more without drastically raising ticket revenue.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Well, it's suggested by Friedman that he is. I wouldn't doubt it. I know the purchase of the Wizards was supposed to offset some of the cost, but I can't imagine he's making money. He's running at 60 or so + a season in salary alone. He wasn't making money at all when he ran it at 40-45, so I don't know how he's made that much more without drastically raising ticket revenue.
Technically, the Caps are operating at a loss of around $5-10mil every year they've been competitive since the lockout. Where Leonsis makes his money is the franchise value, which has been going up around $20mil a year.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Technically, the Caps are operating at a loss of around $5-10mil every year they've been competitive since the lockout. Where Leonsis makes his money is the franchise value, which has been going up around $20mil a year.

Is that an actual operating loss of $5-$10m per year? Or is that basically negative net income of $5-$10M per year? Or something completely different altogether? I'm no expert on accounting for sports franchises but "losing money" can mean a multitude of things in the accounting world. To really assess whether or not the team is hurting, much more analysis would be necessary (cash flows for one). Remember, ENRON reported record profits until they essentially liquidated themselves (not comparable, I know, but just an example that numbers can be worked with, especially because these aren't numbers being filed with the SEC or anything - though they do get audited).

Old
10-31-2012, 08:40 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

After the Miami Marlins financial docs leaked, I will never trust an owner's whining.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:06 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I wonder how much of that is arena related. Pollin never got public funding for VZC, did he? How much did it cost Ted to buy in the end, anyone remember? That seems like it'd be something easy to work with to show a loss distributed among the various franchises, regardless of their isolated financial healths.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Roughing

Ted would make more if his team could ever get out of the 2nd round.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:28 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Winter Classic gone....meh. I have to agree with some that have been through both lock outs..pretty much possibly killing my love of hockey. Understood and was far the cap back in 2004. Fehr shouldn't have been hired..was a shot across the bow of the owners which led to their pugilistic position (not saying everything they are asking for is fair).

11-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Devil Dancer

I find it very interesting that multiple sources have outed Teddy as one of the alleged hardliners. I didn't expect that going into the lockout.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Why would a coach give lots of ice time to players who might depart at any moment? His team is expected to make a long post-season run, so he can't fully rely on mercenaries.
Plus it isn't like either one is dominating a la Malkin is these days...

Old
11-03-2012, 12:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I find it very interesting that multiple sources have outed Teddy as one of the alleged hardliners. I didn't expect that going into the lockout.
He'd been crying poor to the city council IINM, wrt opening up new advertising opportunities with the VZC exterior signage. Probably look to cut costs any way he can as well, so I'm not shocked by it.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Atlas

Ted is a lot of things but he ain't a cheapskate. He has been outstanding about paying the Capitals players.

He is a goofball, though. He's not the kind of serious, obsessed mind who demands championships. So, it's not a good situation.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:58 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Why would a coach give lots of ice time to players who might depart at any moment? His team is expected to make a long post-season run, so he can't fully rely on mercenaries.
Well you would expect when you have **** ton of power plays in one period, Backstrom would at least get 10 minutes. Instead he gets 7.

I can point out several other players getting plenty of TOI, above their NHL TOI or at it even though they are sucking.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Uh, yes, Ted is worried about money. He might not be out and out cheap, but he's not in this business to be a benevolent and kind owner to a sports team. He's out to make a profit.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Uh, yes, Ted is worried about money. He might not be out and out cheap, but he's not in this business to be a benevolent and kind owner to a sports team. He's out to make a profit.

As he should.

I wish he was more determined to make money and to win championships. He's pretty wishy-washy about it. He seems to equate owning the team with being a winner.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:44 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
As he should.

I wish he was more determined to make money and to win championships. He's pretty wishy-washy about it. He seems to equate owning the team with being a winner.
i kind of wonder what the long term reaction to a florida marlins like scenario would be here. go for broke for a championship, win it and then financially collapse under the weight of the go for broke strategy.

its easy to say you would happily put up with a decade of islanders like play AFTER winning a cup. three or four years into it, though it gets ugly.

iirc the blackhawk faithful have already run out of patience.

btw....the demand for championships describes the flyers. they dont get those cups. they get a lot of dead, burnt bodies left in the wake of the failure. its a constant thrashing that IMO works at least as hard against them as for them. sometimes i get the feeling that some fans want ted to prove his demand for championships by firing after failure.

my experience from hearing professionals with the flyers experience on their resume is that most are excited to go and relieved to escape alive.
post flyers life is very often far better. ask jeremy roenick or joni pitkanen or steve eminger for starters.

Last edited by txpd: 11-04-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i kind of wonder what the long term reaction to a florida marlins like scenario would be here. go for broke for a championship, win it and then financially collapse under the weight of the go for broke strategy.

its easy to say you would happily put up with a decade of islanders like play AFTER winning a cup. three or four years into it, though it gets ugly.

iirc the blackhawk faithful have already run out of patience.

btw....the demand for championships describes the flyers. they dont get those cups. they get a lot of dead, burnt bodies left in the wake of the failure. its a constant thrashing that IMO works at least as hard against them as for them. sometimes i get the feeling that some fans want ted to prove his demand for championships by firing after failure.

my experience from hearing professionals with the flyers experience on their resume is that most are excited to go and relieved to escape alive.
post flyers life is very often far better. ask jeremy roenick or joni pitkanen or steve eminger for starters.
First, the Marlins won titles with young talent, not bold trades or ufa acquisitions. Second, they weren't in financial trouble after winning. They lied about their finances to calm their fans and, more importantly, fool the city of Miami into building them a stadium.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:33 PM
txpd

aint gonna be over for a while, unless you mean the season. if thats what you mean, then yes. its over. the countdown for pitchers and catchers is underway.

Closed Thread